Oct 25, 2017
Okay, stupid question here... Fatal rush seems like a powerful string of attacks and can only be blocked by a break hold, so... What's to stop one from just mashing the fatal rush button all the time ? It feels (and looks) like an unlimited super attack.
Because the damage is shitty. It's like hitting a ppp string worth of damage. If you do a normal combo you're looking at 2-4 times the damage you would do during the fatal rush.

Fatal rush also always starts off of a slow ish high attack, you can nail somone with a low if they get spicy and abuse it.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Because the damage is shitty. It's like hitting a ppp string worth of damage. If you do a normal combo you're looking at 2-4 times the damage you would do during the fatal rush.

Fatal rush also always starts off of a slow ish high attack, you can nail somone with a low if they get spicy and abuse it.

Thank you. So I guess basically the point of this string is just to be hard to block once you get it going, but not to do high damage.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. So I guess basically the point of this string is just to be hard to block once you get it going, but not to do high damage.
Yes. The string also tracks people sidestepping so you can use it to punish.

Some fatal rushes also put characters into stances, Honoka for example goes into a diff stance after every hit so if you cancel it early you can use the stance to do a mix up ish combo

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
As long as a character has at least one option to hit a sidestepping opponent, it's fine. Some characters like Ayane who have more built in tracking in their moveset simply have that advantage and require matchup specific tactics.

I'm not a fan of balance patches.

So it's fine that Nico has 5 safe, mid, tracking attacks (20 in total, with 9 being safe), and a character like Mila only has one mid tracking attack... which is unsafe... and only available from a stance... that can only be used after two attacks make contact with the opponent?

Oh by the way, Nico also has the fastest jab and fastest mid in the game... while Mila has neither. How is that balanced exactly?

Okay, stupid question here... Fatal rush seems like a powerful string of attacks and can only be blocked by a break hold, so... What's to stop one from just mashing the fatal rush button all the time ? It feels (and looks) like an unlimited super attack.

You can block a Fatal Rush. If you block the first hit or it simply whiffs, you can't continue with the rest of the string. So you can mash the Fatal Rush all the time, but if I block it or just evade it in any way, it's very punishable.

Uh? Don't you just punish the slower characters more with that. Even if its not a counter I would prefer my 41236T with Tina not to be breakable

I do agree that grappler characters should have unbreakable throws. That would be a good way to balance out the slow attack speed of a character like Bass. Hayabusa should not be a grappler, and a character like Kasumi, with a 9-frame jab and 11-frame mid, should not also have multiple throws that are unbreakable and lead to full combos.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, DoA has always had tons of characters. DoA1 had something like 14 for all of the women, fewer for the men. However, DoA is also a game that released multiple iterations and added costumes each time. There were 5 or 6 different versions of DoA2. 3 or 4 different versions of DoA3. DoA4 didn't get any updates, IIRC, and people absolutely wanted DLC at the time because of it.

DoA has always been known for having tons of outfits, but you've almost always had to pay to get more. I think the only exception is DoA3 had an update in an xbox magazine disc that added a few outfits.

Edit: https://www.ign.com/articles/2002/04/22/doa-3-booster-disc-bonanza

So, yeah, I don't understand why people complain about needing to pay for cosmetic DLC. I think you could complain about the number of outfits the men get in this series, absolutely. But complaining about its existence is weird, since it's always been this way. And it's especially strange to me considering how much support the last game got because of the success of its DLC. Just wait for DoA6: Hardcore, and you'll get a version with more shit available from the start. Except, you know, there will still be DLC to come after that.
I only ever rented DOA 1, but DOA2 had barely any until it had been released like 4 times, and DOA3 had ALMOST none without that booster pack (or the eu/jp versions). So I think we agree, basically the notion that this stuff would've been on disc before DLC is wrong. It wouldn't. AT BEST it would've been an extra version they release a year from now that you'd have to re-buy ALA doa2

Oct 25, 2017
I only ever rented DOA 1, but DOA2 had barely any until it had been released like 4 times, and DOA3 had ALMOST none without that booster pack (or the eu/jp versions). So I think we agree, basically the notion that this stuff would've been on disc before DLC is wrong. It wouldn't. AT BEST it would've been an extra version they release a year from now that you'd have to re-buy ALA doa2
Yeah the only games with more shit then this are rereleases like 5R or DOA2 HC. DOA4 costume selection looks pathetic if you go back to it.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went through Nyotengu's moves tutorial and learned some cool new moves. She's got some really cool throws and moves that your opponent wouldn't expect.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
The museum stage can be a bit frustrating with the amount of stage hazards looping into combo extensions. I wouldn't be surprised if close to infinites were possible.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Well about as terrible of a start you could have.

Atleast in the NY area no one gives a fuck about the game

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
So it's fine that Nico has 5 safe, mid, tracking attacks (20 in total, with 9 being safe), and a character like Mila only has one mid tracking attack... which is unsafe... and only available from a stance... that can only be used after two attacks make contact with the opponent?

Oh by the way, Nico also has the fastest jab and fastest mid in the game... while Mila has neither. How is that balanced exactly?

It's a matter of perspective. I understand the reasoning behind wanting a balanced fighting game that is fair and the benefits of that. I don't personally find that appealing in a fighting game, I'd prefer it to just stay as it is and let players adapt and allow the game to have time (ideally forever) to be what it is. Imposing a kind of set of restrictions on what a character can or can't do in the interest of fairness isn't necessarily a good thing. In DOA's case, it's not even clear that the FGC would accept it any more than they do now. TN is trying, I know that. There will certainly be balance patches.

My perspective is that modern fighting games, the bigger ones that have an esports presence, are not as exciting or interesting as pre-patch era fighting games. I've been a SF fan for decades and I don't ever feel like playing SFV. It seems like every other fighting game I buy is balanced pretty well, or if it isn't it gets balanced pretty fast. Developers not only have to make a fun, appealing game- that's not enough- they also have to make it fair enough so the esports scene will support it. It makes sense for them to chase that, it's a big opportunity to be in the mix with that. But for the first few decades of fighting games, nobody thought about that stuff. We didn't stop playing certain games or avoided them because there were too many perceived 7-3 or 8-2 matchups. Those games weren't balanced or fair, and they were so popular that it led to where we are today. There are always characters in a game that are bullshit, or should be, anyway. That's part of the game's identity and part of the fun.

The line for me might be something on the level of ST Akuma. The character should be ban worthy to warrant a nerf. I don't think any character should be buffed for any reason.

Oct 25, 2017
just lost my 11 win streak cuz I was like "Eh its wifi but its full bar"

get the fuck off wifi people...cant believe how much wifi im running into even on PC

TonyB

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
From the Polygon UNIST thread:

This is definitely a lie. DoA is also excluded at Defend The North- and while I was pretty eager to register for it- it's not at that tournament and a bunch of other regionals for the same reason- it doesn't bring in enough entrants that are exclusively there because that game is in.

UNIST is pretty obscure- but there is a large amount of talent that just won't go unless there's UNIST. Anyone who plays DoA is generally always involved in some other competitive community.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Loli Fighter 6

40340650253_f74b718f20_o.png

40340650423_c875b1e4d4_o.png

47305483231_d395d5bc11_o.png

47305482881_241df05c83_o.png

33429737018_0c545bc2ff_o.png

33429736278_3a0a42a04c_o.png

46582242434_d34bee18a2_o.png

giphy.gif

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You ever have an opponent that just baffles you more than anything?

I'll have matches with lag spikes that give me like a full 1/2 second of input lag, and I'll just give up. My opponent keeps fighting like everything is normal, so I assume it's not happening to them. I typically just walk toward my opponent, though.

They might have been mashing punch to see how long it took stuff to come out.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'll have matches with lag spikes that give me like a full 1/2 second of input lag, and I'll just give up. My opponent keeps fighting like everything is normal, so I assume it's not happening to them. I typically just walk toward my opponent, though.

They might have been mashing punch to see how long it took stuff to come out.
That could certainly be the case, I suppose, but he beat me the previous match. And he spammed Taunt a lot in that match, too.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
I like how the Saikyou Package is nothing but a big white box.

Anyway, just had an online match where my opponent was away the entire match, but the moment the match ended I got a notice saying the rematch was declined before I even had an opportunity to turn the option down myself. Weird.

The other day I fought a guy who used Bass and did nothing but his basic punch combo. I ended up just using the match to practice my timing for holds. It was... Interesting.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like how the Saikyou Package is nothing but a big white box.

Anyway, just had an online match where my opponent was away the entire match, but the moment the match ended I got a notice saying the rematch was declined before I even had an opportunity to turn the option down myself. Weird.

You know what happened. He was finished.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DOA is pretty much the only fighting game series that I use defense in, due to its reversal system. In every other one I am essentially purely offensive.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The other day I fought a guy who used Bass and did nothing but his basic punch combo. I ended up just using the match to practice my timing for holds. It was... Interesting.
I had a Bass match that was like that the other day, too, but with his basic kick combo. It was definitely some good timing practice.

Nuri

Jan 4, 2018
It is really inexcusable that you can't see the entire story grid on one screen. At least one entire row on on one screen. Who designed that UI. The story was fun for me I played 1 row at a time horizontally (it felt best to me) and when certain blocks unlocked I went back and played those before moving forward. UI is horrible though. Why do you have to scroll for seconds to get to story blocks...

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is really inexcusable that you can't see the entire story grid on one screen. At least one entire row on on one screen. Who designed that UI. The story was fun for me I played 1 row at a time horizontally (it felt best to me) and when certain blocks unlocked I went back and played those before moving forward. UI is horrible though. Why do you have to scroll for seconds to get to story blocks...

Pressing R2 brings you to the next unlocked tile.

TonyB

Banned
Feb 25, 2019

The second I saw the footage of that Jan Lee I knew exactly who it was. He's a wi-fi-warrior that lags like CRAAAAAAZY no matter how many bars he has.

He actually has the honor of being the scrub who I was able to body faster than anyone else- coming in at under 12 seconds. Beat the previous record holder by an entire three seconds with his "Try holds against Bayman" tech.

https://gfycat.com/unrulyunselfishjanenschia

My guess is at first he was taunting you because he thought he had that match on pretty much guaranteed with you, and then when you pulled off that runback he just kept taunting as a way to play it off as if he wasn't really trying.

Nezacant

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
You guys have any suggestions for Fight Sticks for DOA6? I was looking at the Hori RAP 4.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The second I saw the footage of that Jan Lee I knew exactly who it was. He's a wi-fi-warrior that lags like CRAAAAAAZY no matter how many bars he has.

He actually has the honor of being the scrub who I was able to body faster than anyone else- coming in at under 12 seconds. Beat the previous record holder by an entire three seconds with his "Try holds against Bayman" tech.

https://gfycat.com/unrulyunselfishjanenschia

My guess is at first he was taunting you because he thought he had that match on pretty much guaranteed with you, and then when you pulled off that runback he just kept taunting as a way to play it off as if he wasn't really trying.
Oh my god. This is some hilarious insight to wake up to!

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, how do I deal with Honoka's stupid floor roundhouse kick? An online player shut me down spamming it nonstop. Feels like not even my Break Hold can deal with that shit.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't just sit there yesterday waiting for arcade runs to play themselves and make sure that the highest difficulty was selected, so I opted to just see what happened if I left the game running with La Mariposa kick-spamming her way through the CPU on Arcade easy. Had it going on both PS4 and PC for a good 8-10 hours....

....and it barely unlocked anything. So that was pretty much pointless, lol. I might just wait until the patch to keep trying this in the game. I just want the costumes for a handful of characters anyway.

TonyB

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
Okay, how do I deal with Honoka's stupid floor roundhouse kick? An online player shut me down spamming it nonstop. Feels like not even my Break Hold can deal with that shit.

Hard to identify what specific move you are referencing. Most of her lows are actually - on hit so its your turn after.

Definitely worth heading to the lab and turning on frame data. A ton of people online rely on pressure that's totally not real.

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
....and it barely unlocked anything. So that was pretty much pointless, lol. I might just wait until the patch to keep trying this in the game. I just want the costumes for a handful of characters anyway.

I done 4 true fighter arcade runs last night and got 0 costumes unlocked, lol. Im over it.
Gonna get a psn sub card and check out the online over the weekend since I will finally have some time off.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
The museum stage can be a bit frustrating with the amount of stage hazards looping into combo extensions. I wouldn't be surprised if close to infinites were possible.

There are several stages in the game where you seem to get hit once and then it just continues one hazard after another. It's to the point now where I feel the stage hazards are a crutch. No matter how well I position myself, because the game is not balanced around the new sidestep, and because some characters just have tools others do not, it can be extremely difficult to avoid stage hazards.

It's a matter of perspective. I understand the reasoning behind wanting a balanced fighting game that is fair and the benefits of that. I don't personally find that appealing in a fighting game, I'd prefer it to just stay as it is and let players adapt and allow the game to have time (ideally forever) to be what it is. Imposing a kind of set of restrictions on what a character can or can't do in the interest of fairness isn't necessarily a good thing. In DOA's case, it's not even clear that the FGC would accept it any more than they do now. TN is trying, I know that. There will certainly be balance patches.

My perspective is that modern fighting games, the bigger ones that have an esports presence, are not as exciting or interesting as pre-patch era fighting games. I've been a SF fan for decades and I don't ever feel like playing SFV. It seems like every other fighting game I buy is balanced pretty well, or if it isn't it gets balanced pretty fast. Developers not only have to make a fun, appealing game- that's not enough- they also have to make it fair enough so the esports scene will support it. It makes sense for them to chase that, it's a big opportunity to be in the mix with that. But for the first few decades of fighting games, nobody thought about that stuff. We didn't stop playing certain games or avoided them because there were too many perceived 7-3 or 8-2 matchups. Those games weren't balanced or fair, and they were so popular that it led to where we are today. There are always characters in a game that are bullshit, or should be, anyway. That's part of the game's identity and part of the fun.

The line for me might be something on the level of ST Akuma. The character should be ban worthy to warrant a nerf. I don't think any character should be buffed for any reason.

A game can be balanced and also be fun. Those are not mutually exclusive ideas. DOA6 is not balanced around the sidestep, and to a lesser degree, I do not feel it's balanced at all.

A mid-hitting sidestep attack is incredibly important at high levels of play. Not having it creates a big hole in your offensive and defensive options (and defense is already very limited in DOA). In my example, Nico has a ton of mid tracking attacks, many of them safe. Meanwhile, Mila has only one, and it's basically useless for stopping step. Ignoring all the other advantages Nico has, all characters need basic tools and that's not the case here. It's like playing Soul Calibur with a character that doesn't have horizontal attacks.

This is actually a much larger issue in that the devs added an evasive sidestep, but did not go through every character's move list to determine how the new sidestep, something that has never been in the series before now, would impact their play style and abilities. It cripples some characters (Rig), and makes others much stronger (Ayane). None of that was intentional.

just lost my 11 win streak cuz I was like "Eh its wifi but its full bar"

get the fuck off wifi people...cant believe how much wifi im running into even on PC

It's more due to the netcode than the wifi connections. A friend of mine is on wifi and lives several states away. When I play him in SC6 it's a decent connection. When I play him in DOA6, it's much worse.

This is definitely a lie. DoA is also excluded at Defend The North- and while I was pretty eager to register for it- it's not at that tournament and a bunch of other regionals for the same reason- it doesn't bring in enough entrants that are exclusively there because that game is in.

UNIST is pretty obscure- but there is a large amount of talent that just won't go unless there's UNIST. Anyone who plays DoA is generally always involved in some other competitive community.

I brought this up before, but it's also not at NCR and it's not a main game at Combo Breaker. People want to claim it's the Core Value thing, and many have said Wizard has a personal bias against DOA, but from a business standpoint the DOA community hasn't proved they'll show up. I've told some DOA players this, but if they want a legit shot at Evo, show up to other tournaments in force. Bring 500 people to CEO. Bring 300 to SCR. Make Evo give you a slot.

Hard to identify what specific move you are referencing. Most of her lows are actually - on hit so its your turn after.

Definitely worth heading to the lab and turning on frame data. A ton of people online rely on pressure that's totally not real.

The problem is that online a lot of negative or unsafe moves become safe or even positive. So while you can look at the frame data (and it's definitely a good idea), it doesn't always help when playing online.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
A game can be balanced and also be fun. Those are not mutually exclusive ideas. DOA6 is not balanced around the sidestep, and to a lesser degree, I do not feel it's balanced at all.

A mid-hitting sidestep attack is incredibly important at high levels of play. Not having it creates a big hole in your offensive and defensive options (and defense is already very limited in DOA). In my example, Nico has a ton of mid tracking attacks, many of them safe. Meanwhile, Mila has only one, and it's basically useless for stopping step. Ignoring all the other advantages Nico has, all characters need basic tools and that's not the case here. It's like playing Soul Calibur with a character that doesn't have horizontal attacks.

This is actually a much larger issue in that the devs added an evasive sidestep, but did not go through every character's move list to determine how the new sidestep, something that has never been in the series before now, would impact their play style and abilities. It cripples some characters (Rig), and makes others much stronger (Ayane). None of that was intentional.

My argument is that the concern over balancing has a negative impact on how fun the fighting game is. The whole point is for fairness. Those choices are not to make the game more fun, but more fair. It adds to the appeal for competitive players- it adds a sense of legitimacy for high level competitive play.

DOA is also mostly self-balancing due to the hold system always providing an option to stop offense, regardless of how unfair that offense might be in the matchup. Especially so now in 6 with Break Hold.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Guh... a few close calls for sure but somehow I managed to get to 20 in a row. First time I've had this high of a win streak in a DOA game. So think I'mma stick with Ryu. Lol. He's done well for me so far.
D1Fn0foX0AAUd3r.jpg