• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
If I had to complain about something, it would be that the second game seems to be a prequel so Morgan's, uh, "character development" at the end of the first game won't be explored further.

Maybe we'll see his encounter with the razor-nail lady though!

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
It definitely wasn't consistently like that, but I definitely recall encountering lots of situations with just bonkers mixing that you had to rely on the subtitles to understand anything.

It's been like 7 years since I've played through though, so I could be mistaken on who exactly it sounded.

It did have really loud music at times, the mixing wasn't good by any means. But I remember it feeling more consistent? Idk, I'm gonna have to do some comparisons tomorrow.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I am in shock; this is such incredible news and appeared out of nowhere. Will absolutely be buying the original on Switch (unless it's literally broken, not just janky af) because I can't remember much about it other than some key parts and a whole bunch of crazy.

You should be all set, from what I've seen. Sounds like the Switch port is pretty solid aside from some minor audio issues.

Enjoy the ride!

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Awesome. I assume this was the Jim sterling will love it title that one of the insiders hinted at.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
9aef7a0f347e271159f014744d4e4c11.gif

Oct 25, 2017
-It's Deadly Premonition 2.
-Swery is both directing and writing the game.
-York's back and has his original VA.
-The game is both a prequel and a sequel.
-The new agent character seems rad.
-The game is set in New Orleans AND Boston.
-The game is still open world and dated looking.
-The game has a character design sneakily close to Diane from Twin Peaks Season 3.
-York can skateboand and ride a boat in the bayou.
-The new monster we see has a rad design.
-It might be a stealth sequel to D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die as well.
-It's DEADLY PREMONITION 2!!

I am 101% onboard the hype train.
GOTY

Poyon

Mar 26, 2019
I've never actually played the original, so it's neat To hear that they're porting that too. I'll have to give it a try at some point.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so, is the audio in this port a deal-breaker? Is is just the voices or does the entire game have horrible audio?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Neat. Here's hoping it's multi-plat.

Original is sitting on my GOG shelf, waiting its turn.

Oct 25, 2017
-It's Deadly Premonition 2.
-Swery is both directing and writing the game.
-York's back and has his original VA.
-The game is both a prequel and a sequel.
-The new agent character seems rad.
-The game is set in New Orleans AND Boston.
-The game is still open world and dated looking.
-The game has a character design sneakily close to Diane from Twin Peaks Season 3.
-York can skateboand and ride a boat in the bayou.
-The new monster we see has a rad design.
-It might be a stealth sequel to D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die as well.
-It's DEADLY PREMONITION 2!!

I am 101% onboard the hype train.

10/10. Day one. GOTG.

Oct 27, 2017
So it sounds like Origins doesn't have the Director's Cut content? Does it have the gameplay improvements at least where the enemies don't take 1000 shots to kill?

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deadly Premonition is a terrible game. It's also an incredibly charming and entertaining experience that's worth experiencing in spite of its myriad flaws.

ok, so it sounds like the audio issues with the Switch port won't be bad enough to pass on this, since it's apparently a "bad" (in quotes because it's apparently still very much worth playing) game already.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
To date Deadly Premonition has split reviewers down the middle—Destructoid awarded it 10/10, saying: "Judged as a piece of entertainment, as a game that consistently surprises and amazes and leaves jaws hanging, I have no choice but to say that Deadly Premonition goes above and beyond."

At the other end of the scale, IGN named it "terrible," awarding it just 2/10. It said: "Awful in nearly every way… Terrible controls. Terrible pacing. Terrible sound effects. Terrible visuals."

pretty bold to put a 2/10 IGN review in your press release. they know what they're doing.

the_korben

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought it and played through the first level. I didn't notice the compressed audio but I did notice that the water in the "first meetup" cutscene looked like ass. Also, the intro cutscene had some tearing abd hitches, probably pre-recorded though. The framerate during gameplay seems great.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
So I've never played DP1. What's all the hype for? How was the first game?
Imagine a weird Shenmue like game with dozens of characters with daily schedules and sidequests and fucking around doing nothing, except it's an open world game set in a Pacific Northwest town in a practically copyright infringing homage to Twin Peaks. There's extremely janky third person shooting because they thought Americans wanted that.

It's also extremely charming, especially the protagonist, an FBI agent who can only be described as either eccentric or a lunatic, constantly speaking to an imaginary friend in front of others about super esoteric topics or 80s movies.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Ok after that intro that must have been pre-recorded, the graphics are a LOT cleaner and framerate is good. Only weirdness is the voice acting is very very soft and hard to hear.

Also, I was ready for weird, but I'm still surprised how random and insane it is after just an hour. Can't wait to play more.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so happy for Swery. Seems like he really found his footing and managed to strike great balance since going 'indie' and founding White Owls.

Skrams

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
People probably talked about this already, but looking at the JP direct, that's Zach in the 2019 segments.

It just straight up has the subs and says Zach. So Aliya or however her name will be spelled because wow that english spelling, interviewing you in 2019 and the rest being mostly 2005? It's kind of weird considering the age gap and how Zach looks so fucking old. Zach's scar is also super more pronounced now comparing the versions. It travels along the ridge of his nose which wasn't really a thing in DP1 as far as I've looked to remind myself.

Also looks to be retaining the charm of stupid dumb bullshit like shooting targets in the bayou, riding a skateboard, some guy with an eyepatch, badgreat sneaking, and a lot of other shit. I'm so fucking on board.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a weird Shenmue like game with dozens of characters with daily schedules and sidequests and fucking around doing nothing, except it's an open world game set in a Pacific Northwest town in a practically copyright infringing homage to Twin Peaks. There's extremely janky third person shooting because they thought Americans wanted that.

It's also extremely charming, especially the protagonist, an FBI agent who can only be described as either eccentric or a lunatic, constantly speaking to an imaginary friend in front of others about super esoteric topics or 80s movies.
Annnnd that's a sale.

So is the Switch version of the first game the best way to play it?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I love the fact that they have to fuck up something whenever they port this game.

At least it is something new every time.

I guess.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
It would be so cool if that is actually David Young in the trailer and this game continues the search for D.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Annnnd that's a sale.

So is the Switch version of the first game the best way to play it?

Seems like the port has terrible low mixing on the voices as well as dropped sounds.

That would make it the worst port next to the PC version as hearing the voices is integral to the experience.

The original and BC 360 is still the best. Bad performance, but everything else works.

Followed by the PS3 version. Worse performance, but the sound mix works.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Switch version certainly runs much better than the PS3 version. There are also indeed some unique audio issues.

And in the cutscene in which you first meet Emily and George, everyone's eyes were freaking me out for some reason. I don't remember the previous versions looking that creepy

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
Could be that they're aiming for the PS5/Xbox2 launch, which they would not be able to confirm before the platforms are announced.

That's not a bad theory, but I'd have to think they'd cross-gen the PS and xbox versions. Odd because Nintendo usually points out exclusive games (even if it's timed) on yhe direct.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I have no words and i must scream!
I'm gonna listen to some tunes from the first one on my way ti work, to get me in the mood!
Fucking excited