• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
On the left the western sized arm in the collectors edition

On the right the japanese sized arm.

Kojima-Station-34-MGSV-Arm-Replicas-Comparison.jpg

Despite the few hype tweets I just have this nagging feeling it won't be smooth sailing, I have a hard time seeing most places dishing out 10's.

Was it you or someone else that said no 10s? No to "not most" is a hell of an improvement.

Still, Occam's razor--it's Sony, the embargo is up a week before launch, and it's from a fairly decent games creator with a ton of backing.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was it you or someone else that said no 10s? No to "not most" is a hell of an improvement.

Still, Occam's razor--it's Sony, the embargo is up a week before launch, and it's from a fairly decent games creator with a ton of backing.

You're right, logically all signs point to a good result.

If Gears 5, which I love for the multi but has a really lame campaign, can score 84 and Control which I think is just really average, can nab 82, then surely Death Stranding has to be higher than the likes of those.

But the hype for the reviews alone is at critical levels, and I get this feeling some will be contrarian and give it a lower score just to get clicks or it just won't be a lot of critics cup of tea.

I hope i'm wrong and it's all 9's, 10's and a few 8's though.

It won't affect my enjoyment of the game but i'll be happy for Kojima and the team if it reviews well.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Cancelled the Higgs cover version from Amazon, I thought it was a steel book but it's just a sleeve. The art on the actual steel book is meh so standard it is, still get all the bonuses so..

I'll bet the dynamic theme is a good one, especially if it incorporates the music.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
But the hype for the reviews alone is at critical levels, and I get this feeling some will be contrarian and give it a lower score just to get clicks or it just won't be a lot of critics cup of tea.

I anticipate a few lower scores. That happens with every game; it would be unreasonable not to, IMO.

arkay

Nov 8, 2017
I knew this OST would be special after hearing parts of it in the trailers. Can't wait for the official release.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this music is phenomenal. Tuning out as I want to hear it fresh in game.

I might not even read the reviews for this, I'm so fucking excited to jump in and get lost in it.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I anticipate a few lower scores. That happens with every game; it would be unreasonable not to, IMO.

Definitely, but I just think about the schadenfreude all the haters are gonna be enjoying if it doesn't hit certain milestones and it pisses me off already lol.

But hey, we only have literally less than 3 days to go until the thread of the year arrives and we can put any doubts to rest.

Also the soundtrack is outrageously good on the stream, so haunting and magical.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Ludvig has done an incredible job with the music
It's going with Bloodborne and God of War on my perma playlist

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Ludvig dude. Guy was a freelancer while studying sound design in Japan and apparantly MGSV was his first major project. Kojima had a good eye (or should I say ear? :D) to bring him on for Death Stranding after leaving Konami.

This music tho 🔥 🔥 🔥

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
You wanna make a thread?
Nah, would rather people experience this for themselves lol. I'm gonna tune out, I know this is gonna be greatness.

Also I said I wouldn't be back in this thread but I have no self-control ROFL. Jokes aside tho, I'm dark until reviews drop. Not gonna bother with the launch trailer and I don't wanna read your impressions haha. I'm out for realzies. Hope y'all enjoy tho! Peace.

Last edited:

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Cancelled the Higgs cover version from Amazon, I thought it was a steel book but it's just a sleeve. The art on the actual steel book is meh so standard it is, still get all the bonuses so..

I'll bet the dynamic theme is a good one, especially if it incorporates the music.
The Higgs its the standard edition. But just some stores are selling it with the Higgs sleeve.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Definitely, but I just think about the schadenfreude all the haters are gonna be enjoying if it doesn't hit certain milestones and it pisses me off already lol.

But hey, we only have literally less than 3 days to go until the thread of the year arrives and we can put any doubts to rest.

Also the soundtrack is outrageously good on the stream, so haunting and magical.
Haters aside, there's not reason to assume that every game will be glowingly positive. Production quality is fairly high, yes. But it's also transparently divisive in its ambition. Kojima is clearly going for something somewhat hard to reconcile. For some that will definitely work. For some that will definitely not. Besides that, we have no idea how it will play and control. Something as stupid as a bad button layout could severely hamper scores. I've fallen into this trap of having sky-high expectations time and again. Preferred it when we weren't quite sure if God of War was going to be good or not. (And, as a point to the variability of taste, I very much liked Gears 5's campaign, but don't often play its MP.)

CerMakAlot

Feb 27, 2019
Loving the music, very Blade Runner-esque and reminiscent of the mood of the first few trailers. Can't wait to dim the lights and play this.

Status
Not open for further replies.