• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said it in the other thread over the weekend.

It would have been cool if Kojipro had gotten Norman to narrate the 50 min demo. (i say would have, because we all know they won't, which is a shame 😞)

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it sounds intriguing, but that does lead to another question: will people actually follow these 'safe routes', or will they still go out of their way to overcome these dangers and find their own path. After all, the dangerous parts on your travels are probably what makes the game exciting. I personally wouldn't be very interested in simply walking a perfectly safe and mapped out route, where's the fun in that? Heh... interesting to think about.
People have a tendency to default to the most efficient option, so imagine most will shift to the more developed routes

Personally I'm the kind of player who always first explores the opposite direction that a game suggests

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The combat/movement abilities of the speed skeleton has me excited to gear up with an all-out assault loadout. Also makes me curious if the ladder has offensive options too

I think my disappointment with that BT encounter was that I hoping that either you'd have to sneak past or rely on health-sacrificing ammo to do some kind of damage. Like these overwhelming enemies too powerful and deadly for any kind of direct combat. So being able to stun them with the bola and engage in a (visually-thrilling) boss fight makes them seem less threatening

Jun 26, 2018
The combat/movement abilities of the speed skeleton has me excited to gear up with an all-out assault loadout. Also makes me curious if the ladder has offensive options too

I think my disappointment with that BT encounter was that I hoping that either you'd have to sneak past or rely on health-sacrificing ammo to do some kind of damage. Like these overwhelming enemies too powerful and deadly for any kind of direct combat. So being able to stun them with the bola and engage in a (visually-thrilling) boss fight makes them seem less threatening

Maybe you can setup and drop the ladder on a MULE's head, but it would be wildly impractical. (but incredibly funny, so I'm almost certain it's in)

We'll have to wait and see in regards to the BTs, good news is that the one shown was one of the weakest, and depending on your loadout and how much support you can get, they can end up being unkillable, and you'd be forced to run away somehow.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So the following things that can be built between players/show up in the games of others confirmed so far are
  • Highways
  • Ladders
  • Climbing Anchors
  • Roads
  • Safe houses
  • Bridges
  • Rest Stations
  • Lockers
  • Rock Cairns
  • Plants
  • Mushrooms
Wonder how deep this mechanic will go, and if we'll be able to build bigger stuff together (like possibly settlements?! - nah... SURPRISE US). From that GameReactor interview with Kojima, it seems the more you engage with the online stuff (for example, liking the stuff of others), the more it'll pop up in your game - including other players helping you out in the boss fights seen in the 49 min gameplay demo. I'd imagine if you're more of a lone wolf type, you could go at it on your own but it'd obviously become more difficult than if you were being assisted by others. It ties in nicely to that idea Kojima was talking about how not everyone in Death Stranding's world wants to unify, and that could extend to the players themselves.

xv5e1y28v8n31.png

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
It's interesting with how he talks about players following familiar paths which turn into trails and creating highways later on, the game for people who buy it on day one seems like it will be very different compared to how it will be weeks or even months down the line after people discover the quickest routes or safest pathways around dangers.
That's the most interesting part of the game. Day 1 for me as I want to be a Sam Columbus.

Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting with how he talks about players following familiar paths which turn into trails and creating highways later on, the game for people who buy it on day one seems like it will be very different compared to how it will be weeks or even months down the line after people discover the quickest routes or safest pathways around dangers.

I'm guessing you need to be at a certain level of progress before some things appear. You're obviously not going to come across a pile of 1 million ladders, so they will need conditions for what appears and how much of it for each player, and a way of measuring your progress (current episode number, or likes, etc.) could factor into that.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
God of War preview event was almost one month before release, so still possible.
I think this will be different, Kojima seems to want people to watch as little of the game as they can before playing (he said the reason for the TGS gameplay is because there were still people confused about what the game is, and he even encouraged people to not watch it).

Also with TLoU II getting previews this month I'm not sure if Sony will have another one next month, we'll see though.

Mark my words. It'll be playable on the show floor of EGX next month.
What's EGX? Also really doubt it, see above.

Oct 26, 2017
I think this will be different, Kojima seems to want people to watch as little of the game as they can before playing (he said the reason for the TGS gameplay is because there were still people confused about what the game is, and he even encouraged people to not watch it).

Also with TLoU II getting previews this month I'm not sure if Sony will have another one next month, we'll see though.

What's EGX? Also really doubt it, see above.

Eurogamer Expo next month. Some cool indie games on the floor but their headline game is Borderlands 3... so keep expectation low.
I expect press will get their hands on DS this month, seeing as ZhugeEx hinted at there being something other than TLoU.

'This isn't the only Sony event that week.'

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Now that you guys are mentioning it, I'd imagine the TGA 2017 trailer is how the game starts.

Could be. We see what looks like the crater from the trailer about South East from Capital Knot in the TGS demo. Also the contact at Port Knot looks A lot like the guy who tries to knife himself to avoid a void out and could be his brother he's asking about.

I hope IGN translates the other 2 presentations, especially the private room one

I'm pretty sure the horror aqpect of the game will be quite developped and in unexpected places, if the private room demo is anything to go by :)

IGN does have another video in their DS playlist currently listed as private soooo..

Mark my words. It'll be playable on the show floor of EGX next month.

I believe they announced yesterday it wasn't playable but would have an exclusive theater along with TLOU2.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Doubt they would have a playable demo anywhere.
It's definitely not the kind of game that lends itself to being played in short sessions during crowded events, it would do more harm than good.
Not that it would push anyone over the fence in either direction now.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Game mechanics looks really interesting,i'm pretty much sold on the game at this point and we haven't seen how the otherworld works yet.
I like how the voidouts are due to a anti matter/matter reaction between you and the boss,so yeah..science!

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This is the quote btw.

Some people say it's almost like the movie Alien, where you are gradually finding out what the whole world is about, what you can do and not do. Maybe it gets really fun when you have completed 50 percent of the game. The player, like in shooters and other genres, go into the game with a known rule and you think you know what a game is about. I didn't want to have that feeling. Everyone should start from ground zero. Not knowing how to pick up and play the game. What I have shown makes you puzzled, but it all really makes sense when you play the game

That seems a far cry from what they are suggesting to me.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Just watching IGN's translated version of the live gameplay demonstration. Game sounds even crazier than I imagined...The gun fires the MC's shower water? hahah Can't wait to play this crazyness

This is the quote btw.

That seems a far cry from what they are suggesting to me.

Yeah they basically misrepresented what he said.

Oct 26, 2017
Could be. We see what looks like the crater from the trailer about South East from Capital Knot in the TGS demo. Also the contact at Port Knot looks A lot like the guy who tries to knife himself to avoid a void out and could be his brother he's asking about.

I think I remember someone saying that was a few hours into the game rather than the start, but I'm not sure.
In the Briefing there's a missing 'Central Knot City' or 'K1' that they suspect Homo Demens of wiping out, so I'm expecting the crater to be from that, the visual at the end of TGA might have been repurposed for the sake of the trailer.

I think the 2018 E3 trailer and release date trailer show closest to the game opening, Sam's on a bike and outside of player control, and then loses the bike, and doesn't have B.B. yet, He's at a dead end and there's a package lying on the ground he can pick up. It's seems well set up to introduce the game mechanics, and send you down the path towards the scene with Fragile.

Edit: having said that, the tail end of that first journey could end up being connected to the TGA trailer, and he's shown with the same basic equipment in both parts.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you people keep making new threads about every single scrap of a tweet? It's like you're trying to sabotage the game. Not just because the last thread is falsely negative, but because the forum at large interprets it as Kojima himself refusing to shut up.

Jun 26, 2018
Why do you people keep making new threads about every single scrap of a tweet? It's like you're trying to sabotage the game. Not just because the last thread is falsely negative, but because the forum at large interprets it as Kojima himself refusing to shut up.

Trolling for drama essentially, it wasn't even a new interview this time, it was the gamereactor one.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
They are most definitely holding the cards close

If that Lion thing was just a mini-boss, i can imagine all kinds of crazy Lovecraftian bosses in there. IRRC In one of the trailer theres a brief glimpse of like a giant squid or something. I also imagine the bosses will be on the scale of Horizon's Dinos

IGN now also has the 50 minute footage with English subs.

Yuuuus time to watch.

Kojima looks tired as shit in the presentation and thats the start of TGS.
He looks like he is on Sakurai levels and I'm beginning to understand why he's saying all the crazy shit in these interviews. lmao

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think this is necessarily hinting at a big "twist" when he's being saying something like this in most of the interviews (i.e. people might not like/understand the game until they play it.)
I'm mostly joking because I can't shake the idea of a bait and switch in this game, but here he specifically uses the word fun so I figure it's adressing the complaints of empty world/gameplay, and it means that you need to advance in the game to have more options, tools etc to make more gameplay options for traversal, stealth and combat. I figure he's implying that after some point in the game you'll be able to invade mule camps guns blazing with vehicules and lots of gagdets/stuff, and you'll have much more options than in the demo which is 1/3 ibto the game.

We already know we're going to the moon so no surprise there ^^

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
So the hand prints on Sam's body aren't a static design and occur every time he "dies" to a B.T and a void out occurs. So other players Sams will look different depending on how many void outs they've been involved with.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
wild theory.

They game isn't good but a fervent fan base rail roads anyone who says it isnt good.

-----------------------
imho, if someone has to sink 20+ hours into a game until it gets good.... Well thats just a reflection of the maker.
I developped my opinion a bit after, it's not that the first half will be boring, look at it like most first part/half of games where you have to advance and lvl up to gain new stuff and abilities, kinda like in MGSV where you end up with much more options than when you start

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
There must be a food option in the game then because Kojima mentions it and the hot spring at the end is specialized for aiding your stomach too.

He also mentions there's a yet to be announced mode or feature in the private room when they look at the toy figures.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
One thing that I love, but a lot of open world games either don't do or don't do well, is giving the character a home base that they can return to and unwind. RDR2 does it beautifully, VtM also does it well, among others. So all those little interactions and details are just awesome to see; returning or resting at a base will be very satisfying

I agree here. Makes the game so much more refreshing to experience. Especially triggering surprise cut-scenes... etc.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is this game going to get a pass for the management sim stuff like holding down two buttons to balance yourself or will it get trashed like Red Dead did?

Status
Not open for further replies.