• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Metacommentary in contravention to the staff post
Your last link is disgusting conspiracy trash that segues from claiming the '16 primary was rigged and invalid, to quoting Cornell friggin West and then to even dismissing the influence of Trump's involvement with Russia as "fear mongering". Your Obama link is not about the the party itself not wanting Sanders specifically, but wealthy donors being fidgety and critical of the entire field, including Biden.

Your lot is intent on stirring the pot, and it baffles the heck out of me.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rule of thumb should be: would trump do this?
If yes, don't do.
Would Trump insert himself in the middle of a humanitarian crisis, collect billions of donations intended for the destitute and unfortunate, and have a bulk of that money re-routed to corrupt wealthy elites and foreign contractors in charge of rebuilding the tourism industry?

Would Trump ban a left leaning populist political party from running during a presidential election?

Would Trump further interfere in that election and ask for a first round do-over after a rightwing candidate he backed lost?

After being told no to a do-over, would Trump threaten to cancel the US visas of politicans and the party running up against the rightwing candidate he backed?

After being told no to a do-over, would Trump threaten to suspend humanitarian aid to the country unless his puppet of choice got another shot at winning the election?

After this right-wing puppet wins would Trump allow the puppet to loot his own country of money and minerals on behalf of Western colonial powers, while also turning a blind eye to the puppet's involvement in drug trafficking?

Of course Trump would do all that... and the above is exactly what wolf in sheep's clothing Hillary did to Haiti during her time as Secretary of State. She practiced undemocratic shitty ass colonialism and has the nerve to play victim and complain about outside interference in elections and the subversion of democracy.

Abuela could have used your rule of thumb then. She can please stfu for now.

Last edited:

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Hillary with no fear and no filter turns out to not be as great as people suggested

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Hey guys, giving an update on moderation policy for the thread:
Staff discussed the thread earlier today, and while people are mostly happy with the way the thread is going, there's some friction over what should and shouldn't be bannable due to the high minimum required ban. The original intent was to have a high penalty to discourage bad behavior, but it's been pointed out (not incorrectly) that weeklong bans are typically more reserved for much more serious penalties, and we don't want to over-moderate and suppress discussion while people figure things out. As such, we'll now be issuing warnings under some circumstances for offenses against the staff post in the OP. Thanks for your understanding.

This was surprising to me.

Not to me, honestly. If it's true, it'd make perfect sense. A huge point in Bernie's favor that weirdly people don't actually use much is that he's fantastic on veteran's issues. I feel like maybe it's because "great for vets" is all too often a dogwhistle for pro-military in the general discourse, but honestly, it's a strong argument for his electability and people who like Bernie should be proud of it.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way we can get an idea of which rules can be broken with just a warning and which would get bans? Or do they all just get warnings?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Hey guys, giving an update on moderation policy for the thread:
Staff discussed the thread earlier today, and while people are mostly happy with the way the thread is going, there's some friction over what should and shouldn't be bannable due to the high minimum required ban. The original intent was to have a high penalty to discourage bad behavior, but it's been pointed out (not incorrectly) that weeklong bans are typically more reserved for much more serious penalties, and we don't want to over-moderate and suppress discussion while people figure things out. As such, we'll now be issuing warnings under some circumstances for offenses against the staff post in the OP. Thanks for your understanding.

Not to me, honestly. If it's true, it'd make perfect sense. A huge point in Bernie's favor that weirdly people don't actually use much is that he's fantastic on veteran's issues. I feel like maybe it's because "great for vets" is all too often a dogwhistle for pro-military in the general discourse, but honestly, it's a strong argument for his electability and people who like Bernie should be proud of it.
Cool. I actually like the use of warnings first to give people an idea of when theyre going overboard as opposed to a week timeout. Thank you for clarifying.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Cool. I actually like the use of warnings first to give people an idea of when theyre going overboard as opposed to a week timeout. Thank you for clarifying.
It's not going to be every time - sometimes, somebody will just be in clear violation. But we've had a lot of edge cases, spirit-but-not-letter of the rule, etc. That's where the warnings will come in.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
As an outsider from the Middle East, honestly Bernie Sanders looks to be the only one set to break the traditional monotony of internal US politics, the continuous cycle of Democrats vs Republicans, Biden seems like a Republican lite.

As for Foreign policy, don't really know where Sanders stand on, especially ME and Iran, but Biden and the Clintons are as much pro Israel as any Republican.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to be every time - sometimes, somebody will just be in clear violation. But we've had a lot of edge cases, spirit-but-not-letter of the rule, etc. That's where the warnings will come in.
This makes it sound like people will be able to more regularly violate the thread rules as long as there is some level of doubt. I don't like the change.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
How incredible is it that after such a diverse, strong and progressive field to start the race, the front-runners leading into the first contest are old white dudes (and Mrs. Warren, an old white lady)? All you can do is laugh. lol

My vote is still for Biden, but I'll be alright voting for most of the others even if I don't prefer them. I still expect him to cruise relatively easy so long as he does good enough in the first two contests, and maintains his electoral strength advantage.
Bernie would be the first Jewish President.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh for sure i get that. I think its a good thing since obviously a lot is on the line and tensions are bound to get a bit high, and 99% of us just want Trump out of office when it comes down to it anyway.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This makes it sound like people will be able to more regularly violate the thread rules as long as there is some level of doubt. I don't like the change.
Well, if they keep going at it after the warning, that's where the week and then convention ban comes in. We're not going to let people who look like they're deliberately toeing the line slide.
Oh for sure i get that. I think its a good thing since obviously a lot is on the line and tensions are bound to get a bit high, and 99% of us just want Trump out of office when it comes down to it anyway.
For sure, but that hasn't stopped the fighting in other threads one little bit, lol.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, if they keep going at it after the warning, that's where the week and then convention ban comes in. We're not going to let people who look like they're deliberately toeing the line slide.

For sure, but that hasn't stopped the fighting in other threads one little bit, lol.
Well there are some topics which despite that fact, are incredibly difficult to navigate even with a unified front in getting rid of Trump.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Well there are some topics which despite that fact, are incredibly difficult to navigate even with a unified front in getting rid of Trump.
Oh, sure. Like, everybody has disagreements on the issues, that's fine. But there's a reason there wasn't a primary OT for a long while. Even when the discussion is just the competition, or when the discussion is centered around Trump, it seems like the people just can't stop going at each other. Thus the somewhat draconian first approach here.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
Certain parts? According to the polls somewhere between 75-80% of Democrats don't want Bernie to be the nominee, this is perfectly normal.
Bernie is one of the most liked candidates. Who people want and who they vote for are not always the same.

cMsvAbX.png

morningconsult.com

2020 Democratic Primary

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The calm before the storm. Getting anxious.

Hard to care about the Super Bowl with this primary beginning.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm glad this thread exists. I hate having to wade through targeted threads about specific articles as opposed to general primary talk

ebs

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bloomberg running splits the Biden vote and just helps Bernie and Warren. While the precedent it sets needs to be stopped, there's a silver lining in this case.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Bloomberg running splits the Biden vote and just helps Bernie and Warren. While the precedent it sets needs to be stopped, there's a silver lining in this case.
also him being in this upcoming debate at all does exactly the same thing - takes time away from Biden and gives Sanders/Warren free shots at him

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been canvassing for Warren for months in Iowa because I've been a fan of hers since I was in high school.

That said, Bernie is my obvious second choice. And if I have to live with Biden I'd be okay with that.

An interesting thing from my last canvass today: There's still quite a few undecideds. I guess it's not terribly surprising if you look at polls, but it's different when you're there and talking to people.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017

my read of this is that people were violating the rules already but getting away with it because the moderator hesitated to impose a week ban for a relatively minor violation

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to Pete's Chief of Staff, over 400 members of the media have RSVP'd to attend his rally in Des Moines tomorrow.

Pretty crazy

It's the day before the first primary/caucus state. That's ~8 people per state, which doesn't seem large in context of needing to send 1-2 people to cover each campaign.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
They record all of these calls, right? A call takes 10 minutes.

They could in theory review the 6-800 sample and excise any that's not up to standard.

They kinda have to in order to salvage their reputation.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Didn't they mostly start out as nightmare authoritarian hellscapes, hence the communist revolutions?

Shhhhh you're not allowed to mention that it was maybe the failed states and not the Communism that
Your last link is disgusting conspiracy trash that segues from claiming the '16 primary was rigged and invalid, to quoting Cornell friggin West and then to even dismissing the influence of Trump's involvement with Russia as "fear mongering". Your Obama link is not about the the party itself not wanting Sanders specifically, but wealthy donors being fidgety and critical of the entire field, including Biden.

Your lot is intent on stirring the pot, and it baffles the heck out of me.

Cornell West rules tho.

Jas

Oct 28, 2017

Nothing is more important to the Register and its polling partners than the integrity of the Iowa Poll. Today, a respondent raised an issue with the way the survey was administered, which could have compromised the results of the poll. It appears a candidate's name was omitted in at least one interview in which the respondent was asked to name their preferred candidate.

While this appears to be isolated to one surveyor, we cannot confirm that with certainty. Therefore, the partners made the difficult decision to not to move forward with releasing the Iowa Poll.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
As an outsider from the Middle East, honestly Bernie Sanders looks to be the only one set to break the traditional monotony of internal US politics, the continuous cycle of Democrats vs Republicans, Biden seems like a Republican lite.

As for Foreign policy, don't really know where Sanders stand on, especially ME and Iran, but Biden and the Clintons are as much pro Israel as any Republican.

He's Amu Bernie to most Middle Easterners who pay attention, according to my wife. He'd be much better than most Dems on ME issues. He was the only one to unequivocally say Soleimani's assassination was bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.