• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
ahh so true. gambit is the worst. die within the first ten seconds of pve. have 14 motes and refuse to bank, go and die. stand around and wait for the portal and theyre a bad invader. dont bank when you have enough for primevil. did i mention a lot of dying? you go and hide from the invader, your teammates? =die die die. refuse to go kill blockers while motes are bleeding off. but the one thing theyre all really good at is stealing motes on the ground so you dont get any,
I believe most of the blame here is due to bounties, which often times put players at odds with what's best for the team. Maybe that person that refused to bank is one Large Blocker away from finishing their bounty and they're worried that if they don't get it *now* they may have to play yet another Gambit match, with no fuckin body wants to do. Maybe that person baby sitting the portal has to get invasion kills for theirs. Maybe they're burning their super on adds instead of the boss because their bounty tells them that they must get ability kills. Same with Iron Banner, where bounties that demand players get kills in a certain way means that capping zones is inherently devalued since doing X to make progress is harder to do if you're spending all your time trying to cap zones. If you want to get out of having to do an activity, the best way to play at some point is to ignore the zones entirely and get your kills.

That is the inherent problem with bounties. They force players to choose between their own interests and desire to stop playing Gambit/Crucible/whatever...vs what's best to help the team win. IMO, any bounty design that compromises the team's ability to win first and foremost is poor design.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I've been having some great games in Gambit Prime. Lots of people playing smart, making the right moves and generally being team players.
Not even being sarcastic. I'm shocked. Caught myself actually having a lot of fun with the mode now that I stopped playing regular/old Gambit entirely.

me too. and yeah like 50% of the games you get good teammates. I always like when my teammates have any kind of titles because those players generally know what they're doing.

Also, double gambit next week! Dredgen will be mine!

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I believe most of the blame here is due to bounties, which often times put players at odds with what's best for the team. Maybe that person that refused to bank is one Large Blocker away from finishing their bounty and they're worried that if they don't get it *now* they may have to play yet another Gambit match, with no fuckin body wants to do. Maybe that person baby sitting the portal has to get invasion kills for theirs. Maybe they're burning their super on adds instead of the boss because their bounty tells them that they must get ability kills. Same with Iron Banner, where bounties that demand players get kills in a certain way means that capping zones is inherently devalued since doing X to make progress is harder to do if you're spending all your time trying to cap zones. If you want to get out of having to do an activity, the best way to play at some point is to ignore the zones entirely and get your kills.

That is the inherent problem with bounties. They force players to choose between their own interests and desire to stop playing Gambit/Crucible/whatever...vs what's best to help the team win. IMO, any bounty design that compromises the team's ability to win first and foremost is poor design.

True but it's also just a lot of bad players. I get bounties too and I dont do those things usually. If I have 14 motes I make sure I dont die, etc.

Honestly I chalk up most bad players to probably being kids 12 and under.

Jan 4, 2018
Menagerie is hella fun. I ran it blind in a matchmade group the day it came out, took us 45 mins to reach the boss and another 45 to beat it. Nowadays I can knock out a run in about 12 minutes.

Last season it was great to let you target your powerful rewards to hit max power, think my record was 9 runs in a day (3 powerfuls on 3 characters).

I love the look of the opulent armour on my warlock as well.

Once you've gotten your head around the rune system (and upgraded your chalice to unlock all the different colours) you can use the website chalice.recipies to work out how to get each piece of gear.

This is going to sound dumb but I'm actually specifically running Menagerie for the Exodus Down chest piece because I don't have it from Destination drops yet and it's my favorite Titan chest aesthetically. Gotta upgrade my Chalice so I can get the Red runes I need for the recipe.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
True but it's also just a lot of bad players. I get bounties too and I dont do those things usually. If I have 14 motes I make sure I dont die, etc.

Honestly I chalk up most bad players to probably being kids 12 and under.
Perhaps you're just less selfish than many players is all in those moments (or maybe your bounty requires wins lol).

At some point, people want the suffering of having to do something they don't enjoy to finally end, and for it to end as quickly as humanly possible. Maybe they just dislike the mode. Maybe they just want to be doing something else. Maybe the bounty is the only reason they're playing. For any of these reasons, players will make somewhat selfish choices. These are people in moments where they just don't care about the win or loss because they weren't playing Crucible or Gambit that day for the win or loss; they were playing for the bounty and if not for the bounty, they wouldn't be participating at all. It's not that they don't hear Drifter yelling at them, "HEY! You can summon that Primeval!"...it's that doing so may force them to spend *another* 15 minutes playing Gambit. In the grand scheme of things, I respect/empathize with not wanting to have to play any more games of Gambit than absolutely necessary and doing what you have to do in order to facilitate that.

Oct 27, 2017

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I am officially good at destiny and I dont care what anyone else says. I've never been added before in my life to get complimented.

2d1f80d0e6.jpg

AlexTrevelyan

Oct 27, 2017

At the end of the day its on Bungie to design quests/bounties in ways that encourage good habits. I know its tough from the developers viewpoint since most of the time people are going to do things the fastest way possible.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
When I die, I want' 'Died protecting B. Alone. As per usual.' etched into my grave-stone.

The average IQ of the Destiny player has to be the lowest of any AAA multiplayer game on the market. There are people playing Crucible that certainly require professional help putting their pants on in the morning.

Are you on console or PC? I noticed the console skill cap is vastly lower than the PC side (as in, I think on PS4 at least, many matches you are playing with literal children). I honestly prefer it for easier ranking up...

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
At the end of the day its on Bungie to design quests/bounties in ways that encourage good habits. I know its tough from the developers viewpoint since most of the time people are going to do things the fastest way possible.
Yep. I've always said (since like the first week Gambit went live with its bounties) that bounty design is problematic. Any incentivization that encourages players to behave in ways antithetical to the way the mode is intended to be played, that actively de-prioritizes *winning* and being a good teammate is not good for Gambit. It causes posts like shark's and the other guys, noting frustration with teammates and assuming they're "dumb". Well, they're probably not dumb; they're just playing the game that's been given with the bounties they have been handed as their current incentive to play it and the way that they're playing.

I too have held a super that I could have used during boss damage phase to clear adds because there's no other realistic way for me to get say...15 ability kills without playing multiple Gambit matches. I think everyone here has had to make that decision, knowing it could cost then and everyone they're playing with (who may actually want/need to win) a round or even the match. But the game forces you to make that choice: "Do you value your time or a win?" Too often, you can't have both.

That is, in my opinion, fundamentally flawed design.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Got the Jade Rabbit and Suros catalysts.

Edit - Is it worth running menagerie just for the mods?
Yes, it is worth it for the mods. That said, don't short-change running Menagerie for the weapons if you're wondering whether the game mode is worth your time. Many of the weapons and rolls available there are the among the very best weapons in the entire game with the right rolls.

Menagerie offers opportunities to grind for:
  • 3 of the best hand cannons (Austringer, Trust, Waking Vigil): 2 of which are damn near impossible to get good rolls on out in the game world
  • 2 of the best fusion rifles (the now infamous Erentil for PvP and the criminally-underappreciated Epicurean for PvE)
  • 3 of the best shotguns (Dusk Rock Blues and Parcel of Stardust for PvP, Imperial Decree for PvE)
  • 2 of the best sniper rifles (Beloved and Twilight Oath for PvP/light PvE)
  • Swords with special perks that provide massive damage far and above what any other sword in the game can get.

Menagerie was like...everyone's favorite addition to the game ever in June when it came out. It gave many of us the god rolls we thought we'd never have. It's worth your time IF you're at the stage of the game where getting the best possible rolls is a priority.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
For Hive armaments? Yes.
Oh right, I don't know what I was thinking. Definitely will do.
Yes, it is worth it for the mods. That said, don't short-change running Menagerie for the weapons if you're wondering whether the game mode is worth your time. Many of the weapons and rolls available there are the among the very best weapons in the entire game with the right rolls.

Menagerie offers opportunities to grind for:
  • 3 of the best hand cannons (Austringer, Trust, Waking Vigil): 2 of which are damn near impossible to get good rolls on out in the game world
  • 2 of the best fusion rifles (the now infamous Erentil for PvP and the criminally-underappreciated Epicurian for PvE)
  • 3 of the best shotguns (Dusk Rock Blues and Parcel of Stardust for PvP, Imperial Decree for PvE)
  • 2 of the best sniper rifles (Beloved and Twilight Oath for PvP/light PvE)
  • Swords with special perks that provide massive damage far and above what any other sword in the game can get.

Menagerie was like...everyone's favorite addition to the game ever in June when it came out. It gave many of us the god rolls we thought we'd never have. It's worth your time IF you're at the stage of the game where getting the best possible rolls is a priority.
Oh, totally. I ran it a ton and got most of the rolls I wanted on weapons. After playing more pvp I guess there's some others I can grind for though. Especially a good Erentil and Beloved.

By the time I did get into running menagerie, we already knew about armor 2.0 so I never grinded any of that. I guess I was wondering if the mods were worth it even if the armor might not be and it looks like they are.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I was looking at the PVe damage spreedsheet and noticed a few things.

Adaptive/120 GL's with spike seem slightly above Aggressive ones in "sustained" DPS. But people only talk about the aggressive/150's. Any reason?

Lord of Wolves seems a DPS monster, again why does nobody really run it? Same with Legend of Acrius.

I guess it's a DPS vs sustained DPS thing as the spreadsheet breaks it out. Still, I cant imagine a scenario where you dont reload even once, thus you are always in sustained damage,

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Oh right, I don't know what I was thinking. Definitely will do.

Oh, totally. I ran it a ton and got most of the rolls I wanted on weapons. After playing more pvp I guess there's some others I can grind for though. Especially a good Erentil and Beloved.

By the time I did get into running menagerie, we already knew about armor 2.0 so I never grinded any of that. I guess I was wondering if the mods were worth it even if the armor might not be and it looks like they are.
ah. Yes, the mods are still good.

I was looking at the PVe damage spreedsheet and noticed a few things.

Adaptive/120 GL's with spike seem slightly above Aggressive ones in "sustained" DPS. But people only talk about the aggressive/150's. Any reason?
Usually because most boss damage phases aren't really "sustained" experiences. They're usually like 10-15 second windows to pump damage in for which slightly more bursty damage is more valuable. That's why Izanagi's is more popular than Whisper of the Worm right now, for example.

Lord of Wolves seems a DPS monster, again why does nobody really run it? Same with Legend of Acrius.
Lord of Wolves still gets play on PC. I see it every so often and it wrecks. I would think doubly so now that super HP is lower. It's just that there are a lot of other Shotguns that are good and don't take up your exotic option. In fact, there are a lot of special ammo weapons out there competing in the slot. Fusions, sniper rifles, and regular shotguns like Imperial Decree, Mindbender's, and Retold are still godly.

When given the choice of running something like Monte, Thorn, The Last Word, Huckleberry, Jotunn, Truth, MIDA, Chaperone, or Tractor Cannon as their exotic instead...well, it's easy to understand why Lord of Wolves may be lower on the list for most players now. But you're correct: it is still the strongest super-shutdown special weapon, and is better than everything other than Chaperone in PvP. Just...had choices to make for PvP right now...which speaks to the health of the exotic pool.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
If you try to get a Y1 piece of armor out of collections and it still doesn't have mod options, it will never have them right?

I love the leviathan Raid body armor for Warlocks, but feel like I need to be able to add mods.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Man this is really the most un-enjoyable the pvp has been for awhile.

So much fking pulse/scout rifle laning and it's boring af.

Hopefully it dies down when people get Randy's , tho pulses will still be king as i believe they are the best weapons now easily.

Also shoutout to whoever decided recluse and OEM/bottem tree striker didn't need much of a nerf, masterclass balancing right there.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
If you try to get a Y1 piece of armor out of collections and it still doesn't have mod options, it will never have them right?

I love the leviathan Raid body armor for Warlocks, but feel like I need to be able to add mods.
If you want armor 2.0 on Levithian gear: good news! Just run Levithian again. All of the armor drops will be 2.0 rolls, and some of the best rolls you can possibly get.

You are correct, however, that pulling from collections isn't going to get you good stuff.

Man this is really the most un-enjoyable the pvp has been for awhile.

So much fking pulse/scout rifle laning and it's boring af.
Scouts will fall back once people finish their Throwing Knife quests and can go back to their real playstyles. 500 kills is a lot of time for most players. That's going to be like 50 PvP matches for most players. Pulses never left the meta in the first place. Speaking of Throwing Knife:

unknown.png

It was a good day. 0 --> 2800 in about 9 matches and about 80% of the kill progress on a scout done today. I'm now free from having to use scouts if I don't want to, which became very painful over time. Scouts just aren't my jam. That said, it's a pretty entertaining weapon but that TTK is hella long if you're not getting crits. I wouldn't use it on any map that I wouldn't already consider "scout friendly." Which means, most maps aren't going to allow this weapon to be especially viable. Your KDA will be high, but your kill participation will be low. Or, that's how it's been for me so far. Only 75 kills or so in with the weapon, though. I like to give new weapons at least 200 PvP kills before I start forming a serious opinion on them and I'll give Randy's the same respect. Early results are promising but again...if you're not hitting crits that TTK can get very high.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
If you want armor 2.0 on Levithian gear: good news! Just run Levithian again. All of the armor drops will be 2.0 rolls, and some of the best rolls you can possibly get.

You are correct, however, that pulling from collections isn't going to get you good stuff.

Makes sense. I was surprised when it worked with the Karnstein Armlets, but hovering over the armor didn't look like it. Thanks.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. I was surprised when it worked with the Karnstein Armlets, but hovering over the armor didn't look like it. Thanks.
Exotics from collections have set stats, random drop exotics have random stats.
Normal armor from collections comes without armor 2.0 stuff though, which is incredibly annoying, i trashed my Escalation Protocol Cloak accidentally and now i have to do EP until i get it again.

Reputation armor is weird. Collections, it is worthless just like any other. Bought, it has set (lackluster) stats. From rep turn-ins, it has random stats.
Weird here is that why not make bought and collections-generated armor the same thing?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm up to 38% (171/450) scout final blows for Randy (a weapon I will likely never use given I tried the Black Scorpion and it's horrible) but I can't take the torture anymore today of handicapping myself (still probably about 2.0 efficiency wise playing with scouts). I've come to the conclusion that scouts simply shouldn't exist in the game and I'm pretty sure Bungie is in 100% agreement. I mean how could they not be?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm up to 38% (171/450) scout final blows for Randy (a weapon I will likely never use given I tried the Black Scorpion and it's horrible) but I can't take the torture anymore today of handicapping myself (still probably about 2.0 efficiency wise playing with scouts). I've come to the conclusion that scouts simply shouldn't exist in the game and I'm pretty sure Bungie is in 100% agreement. I mean how could they not be?
The issue, imo, is less about the archetype and more about map design. You can't create contested, small maps, increase the player count to 12 per match, and expect scouts to have a proper place. They are demonstrably better now than they have been, but the reality is that these maps were designed for close quarters combat weapons inside of 35m. If they make more maps with long sight lines like we have with some of the Nessus and Trials-themed maps, scouts will very much have a place.

Oct 27, 2017
The issue, imo, is less about the archetype and more about map design. You can't create contested, small maps, increase the player count to 12 per match, and expect scouts to have a proper place. They are demonstrably better now than they have been, but the reality is that these maps were designed for close quarters combat weapons inside of 35m. If they make more maps with long sight lines like we have with some of the Nessus and Trials-themed maps, scouts will very much have a place.
I'm more or less including everything (maps, PvP, PvE, etc) as no matter what Bungie does scouts are simply outclassed by a very large margin with other weapon types. I get not wanting a tired-Mida meta in Crucible but scouts are horrible in PvE as well, I guess they really didn't like Hung Jury from D1 dominating the game the way it did on the PvE side of things. Removing the real Firefly trait from kinetics should have been the first sign that scouts would be useless.

If nothing else I'll at least complete the catalyst for Jade Rabbit.

Last edited:

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I think if they give scouts a bit more oomph at longer ranges (lower RoF having the largest buff) than Pulse Rifles, then we'll see a decent return to them in PvE. In PvP though, I have to agree with Dreams that it's map size issue primarily.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty productive week so far! IB done on 2 of 3 characters, first 2 Garden completions done plus Divinity and I hit 950 on 2 characters. Also hit 100 on the season pass!

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
Got thrown into an IB match on Equinox. Big yikes. Scouts had us pinned down. Glad it got mercied. Fuck that map. I'll take the infinite Shadowkeep maps again thanks

Jan 4, 2018
Just shy of 2500 Glory. This comp climb hasn't been nearly as bad as I expected. I think I've gone 10W - 1L today, I'm actually having a lot of fun

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
I just got a better devils drop with Sureshot + Rangefinder + Timed Payload + Range MW and WOW! The Timed payload + Rangefinder really makes a difference in preserving my damage at further ranges, its like almost pre shadowkeep ranges but with additional flinch to enemies. Looks like I have to retired my max range Austringer and start farming for Better Devils /Kindled Orchid with at least 1 range perk/barrel + Rangefinder + Explosive/Timed Payload.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to sound dumb but I'm actually specifically running Menagerie for the Exodus Down chest piece because I don't have it from Destination drops yet and it's my favorite Titan chest aesthetically. Gotta upgrade my Chalice so I can get the Red runes I need for the recipe.
I don't think Menagerie armor counts for the Y1 Destination badge. Might have been bugged on my end, but I don't think it worked for me when I was going for Wayfarer, had to get my stuff the old way (planetary vendor rank ups).

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
This challenge for the GoS boss (kill 20 adds with the floor delete/create) is real dumb or I'm missing something crucial. The first three are straight forward and just tweak the strat instead of completely changing it while this last one is so chaotic. Admittedly I was trying it in an all void warlock run but wrangling the goblins in place and timing the tether is just ridiculous.

Oct 27, 2017
Booted up the Xbox for some cross-save action and for science concerning the Randy quest...went from 38%-to-56% in 5 games. I was getting about 20 final blows per match so I think I know where I'll be finishing that quest at. Not sure if it was coincidental, the aim assist or what but so be it.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
I have not played since the annual armory stuff. Is it worth buying shadowkeep? Is there a lot of solo PVE content and exotics to obtain? I dont have time to raid all the time but i still want some good gear.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the highest stats on the armor? I accidentally sharded a 60 arm which was my highest for that slot. God dammit. Highest overall is a 64 Chest.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Entirely true, I did nothing but invade for a while because of the long ass season 8 emblem quest thing.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I'm really late to the party but I finally finished the Drifter Xur invitation questline and man, that final cutscene really.... would have been nice to see before Shadowkeep. I'm so interested in the Darkness.... man it's like the Halo days when I was obsessed with lore on the Prometheans, Didact, etc.

So I'll spoiler tag this just in case but

The Drifter is not really a bad guy is he? He just wants to survive and we need the darkness to apparently fight the darkness? Shadowkeep's ending literally has us face to face with a shapeshifting member of the Darkness. I'm starting to feel the Light isn't that innocent after all. Drifter really did use us and he's obviously a con artist but maybe in D3 he will be there to help us side with SOME aspect of the Darkness. He knows they are coming before us as in the lore they apparently met him.

Who are the two sisters that the Emissary of the Nine mentions? Has that been revealed? And what was the Black horse all about?

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, did you know Shadowkeep had a new mission in the Cosmodrome? I don't mean the new tutorial, an actual new separate mission that shares a few sections.

It's called "Pain and Gain".

Why isn't there a complete list of THINGS that Shadowkeep added? Every information I have is incomplete. Even for stuff like powerful rewards, bounties and whatnot.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
Scouts will fall back once people finish their Throwing Knife quests and can go back to their real playstyles. 500 kills is a lot of time for most players. That's going to be like 50 PvP matches for most players. Pulses never left the meta in the first place. Speaking of Throwing Knife:

500 kills? I didn't realise it was that many. I assume that only final blows are counted too?

I might just abandon that quest. I just am not effective with scout rifles. I think I'm best with Jade Rabbit but with that I only get about 4 or 5 kills a match. Lots of assists thought.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm really late to the party but I finally finished the Drifter Xur invitation questline and man, that final cutscene really.... would have been nice to see before Shadowkeep. I'm so interested in the Darkness.... man it's like the Halo days when I was obsessed with lore on the Prometheans, Didact, etc.

So I'll spoiler tag this just in case but

The Drifter is not really a bad guy is he? He just wants to survive and we need the darkness to apparently fight the darkness? Shadowkeep's ending literally has us face to face with a shapeshifting member of the Darkness. I'm starting to feel the Light isn't that innocent after all. Drifter really did use us and he's obviously a con artist but maybe in D3 he will be there to help us side with SOME aspect of the Darkness. He knows they are coming before us as in the lore they apparently met him.

Who are the two sisters that the Emissary of the Nine mentions? Has that been revealed? And what was the Black horse all about?
Yeah, Bungie continue to be pretty crap at telling a story but they sure do know how to build an interesting world and lore.

No idea what the horse is about, it was there back when that area with the giant Emissary head was accessible by going flawless in Trials.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
500 kills? I didn't realise it was that many. I assume that only final blows are counted too?

I might just abandon that quest. I just am not effective with scout rifles. I think I'm best with Jade Rabbit but with that I only get about 4 or 5 kills a match. Lots of assists thought.
Eh I play scout whenever a appropriate map for it comes up. Besides, the quest isn't going away so you can take your sweet time doing it. Why kill yourself pointlessly trying to complete it fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.