talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here had any success linking JoyCons to their PC via bluetooth and then using it as an Expresskey remote for Clip Studio Pro or Photoshop? I spent ages getting the keys all worked out, but now it will connect for just a second before no longer receiving any input. Normally when the JoyCon are connected to PC the lights flash up and down, but now it does that for a moment (and I can give inputs in CSP like zoom in/out), then it turns solid instead like it's connected to a Switch (I checked and made sure it wasn't connected to any console). It's so frustrating! I have heard that the latest Windows 10 has some bugs with bluetooth controllers, but maybe it's just not worth trying to figure out. It's just too bad, when it was working for an hour or so it was so much easier to draw on my Surface Book 2.

EDIT: Huh, so I just restarted by Surface Book and now it's working normally. Weird! Hopefully this isn't required everytime, but hey, it beats buying an Expresskey or Tabmate just for this one purpose...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017

Android devices, especially Samsung with Wacom EMR and Clip Studio Paint are now killing it on art front. Just wait until CSP is widely available on Android.

BTW here is me opening my work .clip files on Galaxy Tab S6 Lite. Was pretty impressed.

youtu.be

Opening .clip files from my work desktop on Galaxy Tab S6 Lite

I try opening Clip Studio Paint files I created on my work desktop (Core i7 8700T, 32GB of RAM, GTX 1050TI) on thd Galaxy Tab S6 Lite and see how workable th...

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Surface devices' biggest problem for me always will be the MPP pens. Just not good enough to compete with Wacom AES and certainly not with Apple Pencil and Wacom EMR...

May 15, 2018
Denmark
Any recommendation for a place to buy replacement nibs for a
Wacom Intuos Art in Europe? And should I buy wacom branded?
61mBdN-6eeL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have recommendations for a good tablet stand/mount? Drawing on an ipad pro and finding myself straining my neck more than I'd like.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Does anyone have recommendations for a good tablet stand/mount? Drawing on an ipad pro and finding myself straining my neck more than I'd like.

I just got this one and love it so far. Fully adjustable and sturdy as hell.

Parblo PR 100 Universal Graphic Drawing Tablet Stand: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Free delivery and returns on eligible orders. Buy Parblo PR 100 Universal Graphic Drawing Tablet Stand, Multi Angle Adjustable Desk Tablet Holder at Amazon UK.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
SuperDisplay on Android is sooooooo good.... Wacom should be very afraid...

www.youtube.com

SuperDisplay latency test

Let's try to determine how low the latency going through SuperDisplay is. As always Clip Studio Paint is used, and thd host computer is my Samsung Notebook 9...

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I spent two and a half hours adding all the Frenden brushes to CSP last week only to reboot it and find out they didn't save. Upon checking my laptop, all the default brushes are back. Now I have to reload them again mostly one at a time. How frustrating. 😡

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I spent two and a half hours adding all the Frenden brushes to CSP last week only to reboot it and find out they didn't save. Upon checking my laptop, all the default brushes are back. Now I have to reload them again mostly one at a time. How frustrating. 😡
That does suck. You shouldn't have to do them one at a time though. I installed them in groups of like 20 at a time. Or will your computer not take that?

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
That does suck. You shouldn't have to do them one at a time though. I installed them in groups of like 20 at a time. Or will your computer not take that?
It depends on what it is. If it's something huge like 50+ brushes, I have to do it one by one. If it's something small such as pencils, I have no issues dragging and dropping all of them in. I'll try making a new folder for them or doing it in smaller groups and make sure it saves. One solution I read was to try uninstalling and re-installing CSP. If it happens again, I'll resort to that.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
about to pull the trigger on the kamvas 13
anxiety inducing
i'll need to use a displayport to hdmi adapter, since my hdmi and dvi outputs are taken already. learned that you can't use a DP++ adapter on a DP 1.2 output. man why does this stuff have to be so confusing.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
anxiety inducing
i'll need to use a displayport to hdmi adapter, since my hdmi and dvi outputs are taken already. learned that you can't use a DP++ adapter on a DP 1.2 output. man why does this stuff have to be so confusing.
Such great price on that thing... they really should release a multi-touch version for $100 more and destroy Wacom One sales...

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
anxiety inducing
I don't keep up with this thread enough. I wasn't even aware such a thing existed. So tempting, and apparently (if you haven't already pulled the trigger) there's a bundle on Amazon that comes with a silly little glove to prevent smudges that is cheaper than buying the unit alone. Or is there an even cheaper place to get it? I really shouldn't be spending so much on something I may just end up not using a lot. (I haven't drawn anything new in years, despite owning a reasonably nice Wacom Intuos and even that Direct-Tek 2in1 thing from a couple years ago.)

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I don't keep up with this thread enough. I wasn't even aware such a thing existed. So tempting, and apparently (if you haven't already pulled the trigger) there's a bundle on Amazon that comes with a silly little glove to prevent smudges that is cheaper than buying the unit alone. Or is there an even cheaper place to get it? I really shouldn't be spending so much on something I may just end up not using a lot. (I haven't drawn anything new in years, despite owning a reasonably nice Wacom Intuos and even that Direct-Tek 2in1 thing from a couple years ago.)
so, when i first added it to cart, i got the purple version and applied a 11% off promo on the page, then shopped around some more and found the green version with a 30 dollars off coupon. applied the coupon, added the green version to cart, then removed purple. when i went through checkout, it ended up applying the coupon and a promo? so that was around 70ish lower than the listed price.

i'm trying to get back into art, but feeling a bit bottle necked with my standard non-display graphics tablet. I'd try out drawing every day for a week, and if you feel like you can keep interest but want something better, consider it then.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
so, when i first added it to cart, i got the purple version and applied a 11% off promo on the page, then shopped around some more and found the green version with a 30 dollars off coupon. applied the coupon, added the green version to cart, then removed purple. when i went through checkout, it ended up applying the coupon and a promo? so that was around 70ish lower than the listed price.

i'm trying to get back into art, but feeling a bit bottle necked with my standard non-display graphics tablet. I'd try out drawing every day for a week, and if you feel like you can keep interest but want something better, consider it then.
Where was this? I don't even see different color versions on Amazon.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Purple
Green
Right below the price and ratings, there's a box you can click to apply coupons.
Yeah, the listings for the various models/bundles/colors is messy on Amazon.
Thanks. Argh, now I feel like I really need one of these too.

Edit: Oh, I see I was looking at a different model. GT-133? Now I'll have to look into what the differences are between them.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if there's a way to save opened tabs in CSP? I don't want to keep reopening all my reference pictures ect every time i load it up 😅

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm not concerned unless it happens frequently, but the fan of my Cintiq Pro 24 decided to turn on even though my computer (iMac) was asleep.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Got the Kamvas 13 in today!
For some reason, the bezel was larger than I expected, even though I've seen plenty of reviews and videos already lol.
Had to fix an odd issue where the brushes would be offset from where the pen was. Wasn't having this with the regular cursor selecting tools and such, just when going on the canvas.
Just go to File>Preferences>Tablet, and check Use Mouse Mode in Setting of Tablet Driver(Z).

No more excuses, time for inktober 💪

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
Besides the Lenovo flex 5 with Ryzen, in a similar price range, what would be considered decent laptops/convertibles to (start) to draw with?

The flex 5 with Ryzen is currently pretty hard to get a hold off here. However the intel version is available.

So far my shortlist is;

Flex 5 w. Ryzen
Flex 5 w. Intel core i5, 16gb
HP Envy x360 with Ryzen
Dell Inspiron 13 7000 2 in 1
HP pavilion x360 Intel core i5

From what I understand is most prefer the digitizer in the Lenovo, however as a beginner is that something I'd notice?

Besides for drawing it would just be a pc for office work, not planning on gaming with it, but if I can (like with the Ryzen machines on low/medium settings)I might play a game or 2.

Also I play around a bit with some coding, but nothing serious really. Also no plans for major video encoding etc.

Any other suggestions I should consider?
Current plan is to hold out until hopefully in a few weeks the Lenovo Ryzen is back in stock (and then hope they will actually have the 16gb version as well, because the not being able to upgrade memory is possibly the biggest downside for some of the laptops. )

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Besides the Lenovo flex 5 with Ryzen, in a similar price range, what would be considered decent laptops/convertibles to (start) to draw with?

The flex 5 with Ryzen is currently pretty hard to get a hold off here. However the intel version is available.

So far my shortlist is;

Flex 5 w. Ryzen
Flex 5 w. Intel core i5, 16gb
HP Envy x360 with Ryzen
Dell Inspiron 13 7000 2 in 1
HP pavilion x360 Intel core i5

From what I understand is most prefer the digitizer in the Lenovo, however as a beginner is that something I'd notice?

Besides for drawing it would just be a pc for office work, not planning on gaming with it, but if I can (like with the Ryzen machines on low/medium settings)I might play a game or 2.

Also I play around a bit with some coding, but nothing serious really. Also no plans for major video encoding etc.

Any other suggestions I should consider?
Current plan is to hold out until hopefully in a few weeks the Lenovo Ryzen is back in stock (and then hope they will actually have the 16gb version as well, because the not being able to upgrade memory is possibly the biggest downside for some of the laptops. )

If you are a beginner and draw with slow strokes, none of above choices will be to your liking due to digitizer grid wobble/jitter. In my video I make it clear that Ryzen Flex 5 is good if you can draw with fast strokes.

If you already have a fast desktop or laptop, you should consider picking up Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite for $300 and connect via SuperDisplay app ($15). This combo is super responsive. You can see my videos about this combo earlier in this thread. The Wacom EMR digitizer in the S6 Lite is far superior to any of the other type of digitizers. The only thing you have to get use to is small screen (10") and will have to adjust resolution on the S6 Lite depending on how good your eyesight is.

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion. I currently already have an iPad, so I draw a bit on that, but it's from work so...

Yes I am a beginner, however I have been drawing/doodling forever, so while I do consider myself a beginner, it's not that I draw with super slow strokes. It's more that I'd like to transition to digital drawing.

Unfortunately my laptop just needs replacing, it's 9 years old (not that it's too slow, it's just time for something new, especially with WFH all the time)

Being able to draw on it would just be a plus, since I'd like to do it a bit more.
I saw your videos on the flex Ryzen, which (together with all the other great reviews the Ryzen is getting) pointed me to the flex with Ryzen. The downside is the current availability of those machines right now (at least here) which made me wonder if the Intel version of it would make a huge difference.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion. I currently already have an iPad, so I draw a bit on that, but it's from work so...

Yes I am a beginner, however I have been drawing/doodling forever, so while I do consider myself a beginner, it's not that I draw with super slow strokes. It's more that I'd like to transition to digital drawing.

Unfortunately my laptop just needs replacing, it's 9 years old (not that it's too slow, it's just time for something new, especially with WFH all the time)

Being able to draw on it would just be a plus, since I'd like to do it a bit more.
I saw your videos on the flex Ryzen, which (together with all the other great reviews the Ryzen is getting) pointed me to the flex with Ryzen. The downside is the current availability of those machines right now (at least here) which made me wonder if the Intel version of it would make a huge difference.
Ryzen is great but digitizer is more important. After a month with the Ryzen Flex 5, I returned it because the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro I had was simply better pen experience. The difference between Ryzen 4700U and Core i7 8500U wasn't noticeable at all while using Clip Studio Paint.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eve just revealed the design of their new Surface Pro clone called Project V

e910aa88ab4b43fad83914007a6bbae82d032b4f.png

eve.community

Project: V | Revealed

Hey community, It’s been a while since we’ve gone in-depth on the new V. Sure, we picked at some small topics like pen clips and key layouts, but now it’s time to return to the big picture. We’ve been hard at work behind the scenes to make sure our design fits all the components and looks...

not bad to be honest, I like how they went with straight edges that mimic the ipad pro

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eve just revealed the design of their new Surface Pro clone called Project V

e910aa88ab4b43fad83914007a6bbae82d032b4f.png

eve.community

Project: V | Revealed

Hey community, It’s been a while since we’ve gone in-depth on the new V. Sure, we picked at some small topics like pen clips and key layouts, but now it’s time to return to the big picture. We’ve been hard at work behind the scenes to make sure our design fits all the components and looks...

not bad to be honest, I like how they went with straight edges that mimic the ipad pro

That seems interesting.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Hello, I'm looking for a good beginner drawing tablet. My daughter wants one for Christmas. Not looking to spend more than $300. $200-$250 is where I would rather be cost wise, but will spend more if the quality difference is significant.

My daughter already has a laptop. Its a 15inch HP 8th Gen i3, with 8GBs of RAM. It has a touchscreen, but probably not good enough for drawing on.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Hello, I'm looking for a good beginner drawing tablet. My daughter wants one for Christmas. Not looking to spend more than $300. $200-$250 is where I would rather be cost wise, but will spend more if the quality difference is significant.

My daughter already has a laptop. Its a 15inch HP 8th Gen i3, with 8GBs of RAM. It has a touchscreen, but probably not good enough for drawing on.
You have couple of good options in that price range:
1. Huion Kamvas 13 (2020) - 13.3" pen display that needs to be attached to a computer ($250 on amazon) https://www.amazon.com/Graphics-Ful...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

2. Samsung Galaxy S6 Lite (2020) - 10.4" Android tablet that can be used by itself or attached to a computer as a display. ($280 at Walmart.com) https://www.walmart.com/ip/SAMSUNG-...Wi-Fi-S-Pen-Included-SM-P610NZAAXAR/296412135

You won't get multitouch with the Huion but you get a bigger screen. Samsung will give you multitouch and flexibility of working with or wothout a computer, but is only 10.4" big. Both comes with great pens.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
You have couple of good options in that price range:
1. Huion Kamvas 13 (2020) - 13.3" pen display that needs to be attached to a computer ($250 on amazon) https://www.amazon.com/Graphics-Full-Laminated-Function-Battery-Free-Pressure/dp/B083V1GZ9Z/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=17I01A0KWZ3QZ&dchild=1&keywords=kamvas+13&qid=1602525175&sprefix=Kamvas,aps,227&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFNTTU5RDhGTEs0WjgmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxNTQyNzYzSkE2UUZHRUs1ODlaJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0NzM5NjUxVzA2OU5PMkxMVlVFJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

2. Samsung Galaxy S6 Lite (2020) - 10.4" Android tablet that can be used by itself or attached to a computer as a display. ($280 at Walmart.com) https://www.walmart.com/ip/SAMSUNG-...Wi-Fi-S-Pen-Included-SM-P610NZAAXAR/296412135

You won't get multitouch with the Huion but you get a bigger screen. Samsung will give you multitouch and flexibility of working with or wothout a computer, but is only 10.4" big. Both comes with great pens.

Awesome thanks. Is multitouch very important for a drawing tablet? Other than that I guess it's just size to consider...

Edit: NM the Huion needs a computer. Would rather get something that's stand alone.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
A heads up to anyone who wants one in Europe, but the Cintiq 22 is cheap today and tomorrow on the Wacom website:

estore.wacom.com

Wacom Cintiq 22

Wacom Cintiq is a creative pen display that helps you bring your ideas to life on screen. Vibrant color, HD clarity and ergonomic design combined with the super-responsive Pro Pen 2 to take your work to the next level. Product Fiche {{widget type=

£655 down from £869.99

Lauscher

Nov 13, 2017
Just a quick FYI, if you are on Windows but don't own a Surface check your creative cloud application you might now be able to install Fresco on your none Surface PC/Laptop/Convertible!
I had been quite frustrated with adobe for a while now because on Windows Fresco was only compatible with certain Surface devices. Adobe wouldn't let me install it on my Workstation even though it is connected to a Cintiq. Today I noticed by accident that I suddenly could install it on my machine. While I don't have the time to test it out right now it seems to work without problems.
Sadly it still says that my Lenovo Flex 5 is incompatible with Fresco...

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Illustrator is now finally released for iPad. Wild how much better it is than Photoshop when it launched.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
For anyone who has one, what's the best iPad matte screen protector?

My family got my dad an Apple Pencil for his birthday and he's struggling a little bit drawing on the glass.

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, I'm currently using a mid-2012 MacBook Pro 15" with a 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 and 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory.

I'm starting to get in to 3D material/texture design and performance is mediocre at best. Substance is a slug on my machine and the fans just churn way too much to really be productive. Guessing the lack of ram is a big culprit as is the datedness of my machine. With the announcement of the M1 chips I was wondering if going for the 16" Intel MacBook and maxing out the CPU, RAM, and GPU would be a smart move right now or if there might be a decent stop gap PC laptop that would get the job done while we wait for Apple's silicon line to mature.

Of the mindset that if an initial investment ($$$) would help with future proofing then I don't mind spending more. Did so with this current machine of mine and I got a good 8 years out of it. It's still working well, just not in the things I'm hoping to do on it anymore. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

ColR100

Jan 13, 2018
Hey all, I'm currently using a mid-2012 MacBook Pro 15" with a 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 and 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory.

I'm starting to get in to 3D material/texture design and performance is mediocre at best. Substance is a slug on my machine and the fans just churn way too much to really be productive. Guessing the lack of ram is a big culprit as is the datedness of my machine. With the announcement of the M1 chips I was wondering if going for the 16" Intel MacBook and maxing out the CPU, RAM, and GPU would be a smart move right now or if there might be a decent stop gap PC laptop that would get the job done while we wait for Apple's silicon line to mature.

Of the mindset that if an initial investment ($$$) would help with future proofing then I don't mind spending more. Did so with this current machine of mine and I got a good 8 years out of it. It's still working well, just not in the things I'm hoping to do on it anymore. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Your machine and the specs with it are really quite old at this point to be running the Substance suite comfortably. Biggest limiting factor (especially on Painter) will be firstly the GPU, SSD (found working with content using a SSD drive a big improvement), then followed by the RAM. Running it on anything under 16GB is asking for trouble though really these days.

For reference, I run Painter on a Windows system spec'd with a GTX 1070, 16GB Ram, and a 4-core i7 (8 threads), and producing anything towards slightly complex work with multiple 2k layers using various masks starts to become a struggle. I can't imagine the issues you're having with a 2012 MacBook Pro with a very limiting GPU.

If you're to pick an option, I would go with a fairly high-spec stop-gap Windows laptop, something with say a RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, SSD, etc.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if the Galaxy Tab S7+ is compatible with general Wacom tablet pens? Sister was hoping it was so she could easily replace the nibs.

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Your machine and the specs with it are really quite old at this point to be running the Substance suite comfortably. Biggest limiting factor (especially on Painter) will be firstly the GPU, SSD (found working with content using a SSD drive a big improvement), then followed by the RAM. Running it on anything under 16GB is asking for trouble though really these days.

For reference, I run Painter on a Windows system spec'd with a GTX 1070, 16GB Ram, and a 4-core i7 (8 threads), and producing anything towards slightly complex work with multiple 2k layers using various masks starts to become a struggle. I can't imagine the issues you're having with a 2012 MacBook Pro with a very limiting GPU.

If you're to pick an option, I would go with a fairly high-spec stop-gap Windows laptop, something with say a RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, SSD, etc.
Thanks for your input. I ended up getting an Acer Predator Triton 500 with a RTX 2070 Super from a Black Friday sale and will probably increase the RAM to 32 GB at some point. I'm sure this will be a vast improvement over my old MBP and a good stop gap until Apple Silicon and it's software compatibility matures.