• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Waaaaaaaannna try cloud of darkness real bad.
It's almost time...
latest

I also got her secondary outfit. I'm dying here!

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing with friends this afternoon, trying out different characters. It is so much more fun to play with friends. You get to debrief after, discuss how you went etc.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Since a lot of people seem to be playing Y'shtola, here are my impressions from all of her HP attacks:
- Holy - AoE damage, stops opponents after hit. I feel that it's the best, can spam, which is sometimes useful when there's a fight happening really close to you. The most I got was a triple hit, which felt really good. Great in combination with her movement impairing debuffs.

- Vivifying Lance - recover 33% of all party members' HP, mid range. In theory it's amazing, but I've yet to get a good grasp of it. The range feels too short, and it's a very narrow beam, so no chance of hitting someone else by accident. The wind up time is also quite long. To put it simply, my accuracy with this attack is terrible, unless the enemy is trapped.

- Holy Snare - HP trap, slow on hit. While I enjoy baiting and trapping enemies as Y'shtola, I don't like the idea of having your HP attack be dependent of the enemies not noticing it. If the enemy party has a few Marksman characters, it's even less useful.

- Quadruple (?) trap appears around the enemy and explodes after a few seconds. Supposedly drags enemies in. I don't think I got a kill with it. Same problem as with the above skill. It's probably just my playstyle, but so far I'm not a fan.

In the end, even after trying out all the other skills, I'm still a Holy user.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since a lot of people seem to be playing Y'shtola, here are my impressions from all of her HP attacks:
- Holy - AoE damage, stops opponents after hit. I feel that it's the best, can spam, which is sometimes useful when there's a fight happening really close to you. The most I got was a triple hit, which felt really good. Great in combination with her movement impairing debuffs.

- Vivifying Lance - recover 33% of all party members' HP, mid range. In theory it's amazing, but I've yet to get a good grasp of it. The range feels too short, and it's a very narrow beam, so no chance of hitting someone else by accident. The wind up time is also quite long. To put it simply, my accuracy with this attack is terrible, unless the enemy is trapped.

- Holy Snare - HP trap, slow on hit. While I enjoy baiting and trapping enemies as Y'shtola, I don't like the idea of having your HP attack be dependent of the enemies not noticing it. If the enemy party has a few Marksman characters, it's even less useful.

- Quadruple (?) trap appears around the enemy and explodes after a few seconds. Supposedly drags enemies in. I don't think I got a kill with it. Same problem as with the above skill. It's probably just my playstyle, but so far I'm not a fan.

Yeah I'm pretty set on Holy after I got a double-kill with it.

Holy is fantastic if the enemy is attacking a summon crystal. They're all in one spot and you can unleash hell quickly.

It's also the only time I can get a hit with Vivifying Lance.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Holy is fantastic if the enemy is attacking a summon crystal. They're all in one spot and you can unleash hell quickly.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Man, I jsut can't get over how much I like Ramza's design in this game. Never really cared for FFT myself, so isn't even some bias here.
a) His sword has just the right proportions to have this fine, agile feel to it. It looks awesome in all dynamic poses he takes, and he always angles it in the most "accidentally" stylish way
b) The cape and general oufit. Those Thigh High boots are great.
c) His animations are very satisfying. Even his unbuffed forward bravery feels satisfying to use, and his buffed moves are pure bliss. The way he stabs the projectile in his backward bravery on the ground... heck, even throwing a rock is kinda kewl, in a scrappy underdog sort of way
d) Ponytails <3
e) Girly bois are best bois.

Last edited:

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, I feel there's really no contest here. Holy is by far her most easily used yet most versatile HP attack as a crowd control move. All her other moves require a bit of patience and set-up to pull off effectively. See someone rushing you? Holy. See a group over there? Holy. Core crystal appeared? Go there and start spamming holy.

Even when you want to go into for the kill, it's as simple as getting in range and pressing the button, whereas for the other HP attacks you need to position/aim the attack properly so that you don't miss.

Last edited:

SantosStrife

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I jsut can't get over how much I like Ramza's design in this game. Never really cared for FFT myself, so isn't even some bias here.
a) His sword has just the right proportions to have this fine, agile feel to it. It looks awesome in all dynamic poses he takes, and he always angles it in the most "accidentally" stylish way
b) The cape and general oufit. Those Thigh High boots are great.
c) His animations are very satisfying. Even his unbuffed forward bravery feels satisfying to use, and his buffed moves are pure bliss. The way he stabs the projectile in his backward bravery on the ground... heck, even throwing a rock is kinda kewl, in a scrappy underdog sort of way
d) Ponytails <3
e) Girly bois are best bois.

Please show Kuja some love too!!! Try him this week!!!

He's legendary love the info of him in Tv Tropes, lol.

Witch

Jan 1, 2018
the moon
Yeah, I feel there's really no contest here. Holy is by far her most easily used yet most versatile HP attack as a crowd control move. All her other moves require a bit of patience and set-up to pull off effectively. See someone rushing you? Holy. See a group over there? Holy. Core crystal appeared? Go there and start spamming holy.
Absolutely. It is so perfect. Do any other characters have attacks like this as well?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Played around with Squall, game is fun enough to buy, but maybe later down the line.

I have a question though, I am pretty sure you could get new HP/Brave attacks in PSP version. Can you get new Brave attacks (dont see option on Equip screen...) and can you get more than one HP attack in full game? (You know for Up/Down+Square).

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Played around with Squall, game is fun enough to buy, but maybe later down the line.

I have a question though, I am pretty sure you could get new HP/Brave attacks in PSP version. Can you get new Brave attacks (dont see option on Equip screen...) and can you get more than one HP attack in full game? (You know for Up/Down+Square).

No, brave attacks are completely set. you only get to unlock different HP attacks, and even then it's probably just cuz they allow you only use 1 (except for Vaan)

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
No, brave attacks are completely set. you only get to unlock different HP attacks, and even then it's probably just cuz they allow you only use 1 (except for Vaan)
Man, that kinda really sucks.
Why would they do that?

Still it feels and plays like Dissidia, I will wait for price drop.

BumblebeeCody

Oct 28, 2017

Aka. Holy shit

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Did they ever explain why they felt the need for summon cutscenes to be so long? Like, does it need to load something? I don't understand who thinks putting a match on full 5+ second pause is good for pacing.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I was wrong about when the roster updates. I thought it changed at 2am PT?

Jan 11, 2018
I've always avoided the MMOs, mostly because I just did not want to go down that rabbit hole. But Y'shtola is so much fun that I'm going to cave and grab XIV so I totally do think this game will have that kind of effect.

It's well worth your time. There is a Free Trial available. It's essentially unlimited access to the "full" game but with a level 35 cap and some other minor restrictions. It's enough to get you through more than half of A Realm Reborn. You get to try out all of the jobs except Samurai and Red Mage. I'm playing it primarily for the story and as a Final Fantasy fan with little to no interest in the MMORPG genre in general. I find 30-60 days per expansion, plus taking advantage of the free login campaigns scattered throughout the year to be ideal if you're not looking to "go down that rabbit hole".

However, while the story in A Realm Reborn is decent things don't kick into full gear until right before Heavensward. Out of all the characters introduced in A Realm Reborn I guess you could argue Y'shtola is one of the more memorable ones, but both Heavensward and Stormblood introduce far better characters. In terms of gameplay she's a great fit for Dissidia, but it seems Square Enix are pushing her as the main rep from FFXIV for all of their all-star titles and I find that choice to be a bit underwhelming. I would have loved to see Yugiri in Dissidia NT.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Going to stream the summon battles now.
Spoilers, I guess?

Edit:
Whoops, I forgot that it's a part of the story mode, so it can't be streamed using the PS4 share feature...

Last edited:

Raijinken

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Managed to get my Onion Knight to Platinum E rank right before the next rotation removes him. It was a serious struggle when my teammates would lose us a stock in the first 20 seconds of the match half the time. Now to see how far I get with Ace

6l1hHR9.png

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Whoa, that's mighty impressive.

PSA - looks like after clearing the story mode you can farm normal difficulty summon battles for 1000 gil a pop.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Managed to get my Onion Knight to Platinum E rank right before the next rotation removes him. It was a serious struggle when my teammates would lose us a stock in the first 20 seconds of the match half the time. Now to see how far I get with Ace

6l1hHR9.png

Holy shite dude I didn't think there were those ranks in the beta.

Deleted member 11663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it normal that I have to start all over again when I turn on my ps4 and play the beta again? Thought it would save?

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
After my first go at the western beta I do have to say that it's disappointing that you can't choose the face button layout of the japanese arcade / home version. Sorry, but after having played the game for about 10 hours with the other setup I can't just learn that jump is now a different button and not customizable. Still very torn on this home console release, I'd lie if I said that I don't enjoy it, but I'll wait for a price drop for the deluxe edition.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I finished my last match with Y'shtola with over 2000 score. I'll miss playing her this week.

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, that's mighty impressive.

PSA - looks like after clearing the story mode you can farm normal difficulty summon battles for 1000 gil a pop.

Damn I never thought to go back and check their rewards. That's a game changer, gonna farm some today then.

Edit: Nevermind you can only get the reward once. Fought Ramuh on normal three times and never got the reward again.

Last edited:

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably still keep playing for the next rotation unless the DBZ beta unfucks itself, but man, I cannot shake the feeling that 2v2 would have been a hell of a lot better for this game and 3v3 does it a disservice.

In 3v3, there is always going to be some moment in some match where you will be fighting against the targeting controls because cycling left or right will always present a "if I press this button, exactly who will the game decide to lock onto?" moment. Sometimes I land a hard knockdown on an opponent and maybe I want to go after this particular opponent who is going after a party member. But sometimes the controls end up locking onto the wrong person (especially if both of the enemies are still being very mobile and moving a lot) and locking onto the nearest person ends up getting pretty screwy when summon crystals start showing up on the stage. I guess it's possible that your opponents will always get a A, B, C designation to switch to, but in the heat of the match, you're not going to be thinking "I need to hit the button twice to target Opponent C," you're going to be thinking "this teammate is getting fucking wrecked by this Cloud and I need to target him and get there immediately." This is annoying in a game of this nature because literally every second counts.

And if you end up getting double locked for some reason, sweet Jesus it is not a good time.

3v3 was complete garbage in Gundam Versus for similar reasons; 2v2 hits the sweet spot because you only have one other person you're responsible for taking care of. And here, while the movesets are interesting, the movement options are way, way worse than in Gundam.

I dunno, it just kind of bums me out. I also have other annoyances (the time you are grounded from a hard knockdown is just too long for a game this crazy, the camera still has issues in tracking enemies above you like in the PSP games, all it takes it one laggy player to completely bring the room down, they need to just do something about these Summon animations because watching the full animation every time every match is going to drive me insane, and fucking Mog) that I have just gotten used to at this point.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
Any know what's supposed to go in the Player Traits part of the player profile screen? It keeps saying "player traits not set", and I can't find anything in any menu that would affect that - it's likely a full version thing, I guess?

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Someone on discord with JP version said there is matchmaking for 2v2 and 1v1 as well as 3v3. If true that's great and I can see 2v2 being the main mode played, at least for me.
Anyone can confirm?

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
*wakes up*

What's up Vaan let's do this
Don't worry Lightning I won't forget you as I fell in love with you during the first rotation.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Someone on discord with JP version said there is matchmaking for 2v2 and 1v1 as well as 3v3. If true that's great and I can see 2v2 being the main mode played, at least for me.
Anyone can confirm?

Apparently no ranked 2 v 2 and 1 v 1 which is a huge missed opportunity on their part.

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone can confirm?

They are most likely talking about Room Match allows you to setup whatever you want including playing against bots but there is no ranked matchmaking for anything other than 3v3.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Had some great matches today with thetrin and Netto-kun and finally got my Y'shtola trophy for 3 SS ranks in ranked matches. I'm not planning to aim for platinum, but this one just felt good.
To be honest I'm a bit surprised that only 1.x% users have this trophy (and the other character specific ones), because while not easy, it doesn't feel like something that's extremely hard to do.
Damn I never thought to go back and check their rewards. That's a game changer, gonna farm some today then.

Edit: Nevermind you can only get the reward once. Fought Ramuh on normal three times and never got the reward again.
Wait, really? That's a bummer, I assumed you'd get the reward again, since it was still written there. Sorry for the confusion then.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
managed to play this a little yesterday. I will say the graphics looks a lot better ingame. In the videos the environments always looked badly lit or something. But ingame it looked very nice.

Gameplay was hectic (I am used to 2d for fighting games or something more like Tekken). I did play Gundam Versus a lot in Open beta but that was 2vs2 which was a lot less hectic. In this game I got carried a lot it seemed like when I did win. Might play more after DBFZ beta ends

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
Gosh, I wish I could be somewhat good at this game so I could enjoy it more...
So many characters look fun, but I don't enjoy being bad.

Just gotta play more, in the full game you can setup Free Battle to be kind of like a practice mode so you can get a feel for the characters you want to play.
That's what I do when I want to try someone out or run the Gauntlet mode and stick to the Bronze-Silver range opponents.

You also have to be aware of whose locked on to who because sometimes you or someone else might be getting double-teamed and someone else is just roaming freely.
That's where the minimap comes in, all it takes is a glance at the target lines and it really helps.
There are also voice commands that let your allies know if you need help.

I think someone earlier said that in one of the tutorials that as long as you don't finish the AI off you basically get a training dummy.

Trueblade Seeker has really great character guides as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW3lUAT_Grc&list=PLHBNHhyL-uWl8L9_qnRIiwxEC_3xdbRLA

Last edited:

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Just gotta play more, in the full game you can setup Free Battle to be kind of like a practice mode so you can get a feel for the characters you want to play.

That's what I do when I want to try someone out or run the Gauntlet mode and stick to the Bronze-Silver range opponents.

I think someone earlier said that in one of the tutorials that as long as you don't finish the AI off you basically get a training dummy.

Trueblade Seeker has really great guides that explain each characters' movesets as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW3lUAT_Grc&list=PLHBNHhyL-uWl8L9_qnRIiwxEC_3xdbRLA

Thanks.
Will watch his videos when I'll be back from work. I, however, never was very good at fighting games mainly because of a light nervous deficiency. I can't react fast enough.
But if I can do decently in the Silver Bracket then I might enjoy the game enough. Not a Day 1 buy but I do enjoy it.

Random Question : Why does Cecil has a Lance ?