• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to Waypoint discuss this yesterday got me so excited for it. I played about an hour of the original on PS3 and it didn't click, but I think my gaming tastes have changed enough since then that I'm really going to enjoy this

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a Switch last week and was feeling like finding a nice open world game to get lost in, so this one seems right up my alley. I have it on PS3 thanks to PS+ but never really played it.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
So QLOC is also behind this port too?

They've done a great job on Hellblade. Seeing this in motion side-by-side with its other console bretheren is amazing.

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Can this be played entirely solo?
It is a single player game - there's no multiplayer as such, you make use of CPU servants called Pawns who can do other roles like tank/heal/magic etc. These are either ingame or from other people uploading their pawns online to be used by others. EDIT - beaten twice :V

I am tempted to get this, seems like a great game to have on a portable for them long journeys and I've never completed it (got it for both PS3 and PC but never progressed further than Gran Soren meself). It's only available digital in UK? Shame really, might import a physical copy in that case.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am tempted to...*counts* triple dip on Switch. On one hand, I might wait for a small price drop since it's Capcom, on the other hand TIME IS RUNNING FREE I FEEL LIKE LETTING GO JUST LIKE THE DANGAN.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The X360 demo sold me on Dragon's Dogma in less than 10 minutes, it felt AMAZING. However, I never bought it because I sold my console two days later. Can't believe I'm finally playing this.

Aside from the novelty, is there any particular reason to use a friend's pawn instead of random ones?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
The X360 demo sold me on Dragon's Dogma in less than 10 minutes, it felt AMAZING. However, I never bought it because I sold my console two days later. Can't believe I'm finally playing this.

Aside from the novelty, is there any particular reason to use a friend's pawn instead of random ones?
You can hire a friend's pawn for free, regardless of level. Also, hiring a friend's pawn will give them rift crystals, which allow them to hire better pawns themselves, as well as quest/monster knowledge.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't find it in the thread, but how is the FPS? Understand it's locked to 30 like all console versions but how stable is that? It was the one thing counting against the original game for me.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I couldn't find it in the thread, but how is the FPS? Understand it's locked to 30 like all console versions but how stable is that? It was the one thing counting against the original game for me.
Seems to stick to that stable 30fps reading all the different impressions in the other DD Switch threads.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
played the game way back during the PS3 days and always wanted to buy the PS4 version but now that there's a Switch version I need to decide which one to go for. The Switch version is nice because of its portable mode, but the PS4 version has trophies ^^'

I'm guessing the Switch servers start with fresh Pawns?

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
If I buy this... I will have bought this damn game for every console and PC it has released on.

Still haven't beaten any version.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
My advice is to spend some time without any pawns and just fight by yourself. Throw your main pawn off of the nearest cliff, it's OK they will come back at the next riftstone. Then once everyone else is gone it will be easier to get a handle on the combat flow and all of the options available to you, without 3 pawns chattering away and doing their own big huge sometimes screen filling moves. That stuff can be a real distraction, especially early on when you're trying to figure out how to play without just button mashing.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Same :D Do we have any Era folk that play Dragon's Dogma Online?
I do, reached the Season 3 content on PS4/PC w/English patch.

It's not very good. The combat still feels like DD, but it's much more rigid from a tactical perspective and the progression is absolutely awful.

It's a F2P game through and through, and all of the stuff you can pay for is lootbox/lottery-based.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to Waypoint discuss this yesterday got me so excited for it. I played about an hour of the original on PS3 and it didn't click, but I think my gaming tastes have changed enough since then that I'm really going to enjoy this

Same here. I didn't enjoy it way back, but nowadays, I'm enjoying more offline single player stuff. So far, I'm really digging it. Can be surprisingly hard. Got ambushed by some bandits and one of them sent me packing.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
My advice is to pay attention to your pawn's inclinations and those of the pawns you hire!
Challenger, scather and mitigator are the good ones
Avoid pawns with guardian!!

For god mode and easy min maxing
Start off with mage but avoid leveling past level 10
Switch to sorcerer until lv 200

Mountebank makes the best romance partner in the game
But fournival is slightly better on your first play through

Last edited:

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Third game I actually bought for Switch since launch. I'm supporting this game as much as possible to see a sequel. I'm also going to have a top leaderboard pawn this time!

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
This will be my 3rd time buying this game lol, would be nice to play at work on fridays. Never tried mage/sorcerer build before so I will try that out for sure.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Can't wait to see what kinds of weird pawns you all come up with.
This will be the 4th time I'll be playing it through (though my PC playthrough wasn't fully complete). If anybody has any specific questions about classes or starting out (or annoying things early in the game) feel free to ask!
Now does it have the good main menu music or that horrible main menu music...
It plays a remix of the main theme, variations of which also featured during the opening sequence and end credits.
It doesn't play songs about wind pushing you though, that was only ever featured on the original PS360 releases of the original game (no Dark Arisen).

That is, assuming it was a serious question :)

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
Some screenshots I've taken on handheld mode. Looks really good. Pretty solid 30fps so far.

aIg03Il.jpg

5Eu4Chq.jpg

Nc9vdee.jpg

eWvSCYy.jpg

ZeK5oCa.jpg

fYEYW8I.jpg

NgKZk6C.jpg

AmA5lPy.jpg

V6chMz4.jpg

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
How was the difference between PS4 and PS3? Would be interesting tl compare
Oh boy, that's not a rabbit hole you want to go down. What is seen can not be unseen. The PS3 version is absolutely horrendous in comparison to the current gen version. Really blurry (720p* with low precision FXAA and bilinear texture filtering), constantly shimmering low res dynamic shadows and a framerate that regularly drops into the teens. The 360 version is alledgedly a little better (better texture filtering and a slightly better framerate) but it's still pretty bad.

The Switch version is a huge improvement in that regard.

*Technically the resolution was actually sub 720p on last gen systems due to the "cinematic" letterboxing, though that wasn't a direct contributor to the blurriness. Still another way the current gen version improved over the mess that was the original release.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Probably not. Don't think the game did that well elsewhere. This is more of a quick cash in from Capcom.

They are making an anime and probably Itsuno next project is Dragon's Dogma 2, he already started on this project.

He wanted to make DD2 and DMC 5 and went with DMC 5 first.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I want this game really badly but I've been so busy with work lately that my existing backlog is barely getting touched.

Is it the type of game I can just lower the difficulty setting and enjoy an hour at a time in a Skyrim/exploration/world type way?

Or is the challenge of the combat and putting the time in to get better at that the main "point"?

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
is there a new game + just in case I miss some of the missable quests?
Yes.
That said, there's an annoying missable quest early on that will lock you out of a (small) area if you don't complete it quickly.
The path to said mission has strong enemies, which makes people put it off... only to get a "mission failed" message shortly after.

The mission name, I think, is: Witch Hunt or something, it's to do with the witch wood

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
I want this game really badly but I've been so busy with work lately that my existing backlog is barely getting touched.

Is it the type of game I can just lower the difficulty setting and enjoy an hour at a time in a Skyrim/exploration/world type way?

Or is the challenge of the combat and putting the time in to get better at that the main "point"?

The game is not hard

is there a new game + just in case I miss some of the missable quests?
Yes there is

Can you play this game with just the main pawn?
Yep
Hell you can play it with no pawns at all
There are even benefits for doing so

Last edited: