jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Quality of animations aside, Sakura sure has a lot of unnecessary movements. Look at this.

Why does she make a fucking half circle turn with her left arm after the uppercut? Just...put it back.

The answer here is

why not

Characters in SFV are expressive and stylish. SFV Sakura is no longer Crazy Nonsense Brawler Sakura, but she still has some flair to her stuff. Although I agree with some they went overboard on season 3, especially with Blanka (which no one ever mentions because no one really cares about this shit because actually it's barely even noticeable).

And frankly the hate Sakura gets from a visual standpoint is bizarre. She actually looks really cool.

eCcUEbV.gif

WY9dkFW.gif

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can sit here and critqiue SF5 and it's animations compared to 4 as much as I want, but anyone who legitmately thinks 4 looks better than 5 in terms of visuals is out of their damn mind.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Stop blindly defending SFV, dude. That's all i'm sayin'.

Do you realize how silly your reply was to someone who said that not everything in V looks better than IV? How does posting a picture of Guile prove that EVERYTHING in V looks better than IV?
Nah bro, they said in a lot ways. Even if Sakura and Falke hurt you deeply in your soul, two characters and another character's hair isn't a lot of ways and it certainly is no argument for saying that SFV in fact does not visually curbstomp the everloving shit out of SF4.

The Guile comparison is simply to show that SFV is actually a generational leap over SF4 graphically.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
\
The answer here is

why not

Characters in SFV are expressive and stylish. SFV Sakura is no longer Crazy Nonsense Brawler Sakura, but she still has some flair to her stuff. Although I agree with some they went overboard on season 3, especially with Blanka (which no one ever mentions because no one really cares about this shit because actually it's barely even noticeable).

And frankly the hate Sakura gets from a visual standpoint is bizarre. She actually looks really cool.

eCcUEbV.gif

WY9dkFW.gif
I gotta check out Blanka and Cody now if it's even more expressive than this.I agree that stylish animations are nice and compared to 4, sakura does look better here but at a certain point, it's too much

Like that just seems like a waste of energy.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The best part of SF6 coming out will be that SF5 will suddenly be amazing and I won't have to deal with the same stupid ass arguments in every SF related thread ever anymore. It'll all be relegated to LTTP threads that I can just ignore.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so :

- SFV looks way, way, way better than SF4. At this point you need glasses if you don't see it.
- SFV have some amazing animations, and some garbage ones.
- Most of the characters looks amazing in SFV, and some are really suspicious (Ken's face, Alex, Ibuki without her mask)

(I hate SF4 and SFV by the way)

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Friends and co workers asked me if SFV "was the same game" as SFIV back when it was first announced, since I was know as the SF guy, you guys forget how the casual audience still can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps or resolutions and you expect them to tell SFIV and SFV apart at a glance? Just because of animations or whatever?

That is why I want SFVI to be completetely different as possible visual wise, like SFII, Alpha and SFIII are different from each other.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But then you gotta deal with how 6 sucks and is gonna kill SF

536218844537028609.png

Only after the first year. It'll be at least an entire season of how amazing it is before people start to miss SF5 characters.

Friends and co workers asked me if SFV "was the same game" as SFIV back when it was first announced, since I was know as the SF guy, you guys forget how the casual audience still can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps or resolutions and you expect them to tell SFIV and SFV apart at a glance? Just because of animations or whatever?

That is why I want SFVI to be completetely different as possible visual wise, like SFII, Alpha and SFIII are different from each other.

Casual audience thinks all sprites look the same. They'll think all Ryus look the same, too.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
SFV is objectively the best animated game after SF3 because Abigail shoots finger guns when he backdashes

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Just bad game design, really. Forcing you to watch it all play out. I can't count how many matches I've lost because Zeku wanted to summon a toad.
Took me six months to finally get the timing down on cancelling Blanka's HP recovery animation into CA.

Thus they are useless information, this isn't a good defense for my point. I play these games seriously I hate shit like this.
Chill with the hyperbole.

wedl

Oct 26, 2017
they should just replace blanka with blanka-chan from here on out it's a much better design

also please god keyframe the hair/cloth physics

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of whether you agree or disagree on it, it's a bit shitty to be sarcastic pricks about something that might legit bother people. I dislike the extended animations too, doesn't mean I'm clueless about how other FG animations work.

So guys about that Ono guy getting replaced that's CRAZY huh

Ono's old news no, it's the era of FIGHTING GAME ANIMATIONS now

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Nah bro, they said in a lot ways. Even if Sakura and Falke hurt you deeply in your soul, two characters and another character's hair isn't a lot of ways and it certainly is no argument for saying that SFV in fact does not visually curbstomp the everloving shit out of SF4.
"In a lot of ways" is exactly how i feel about V's graphics. Yes, V is graphically superior, but there are a whole lot of minor issues that detract from the experience.

Not sure exactly why you felt compelled to reply against someone with this opinion, unless you really are a blind SFV fan.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of whether you agree or disagree on it, it's a bit shitty to be sarcastic pricks about something that might legit bother people. I dislike the extended animations too, doesn't mean I'm clueless about how other FG animations work.

Ono's old news no, it's the era of FIGHTING GAME ANIMATIONS now

In my defense, I was responding sarcastically to what I thought was a sarcastic comment because...you can stop all of the flourishes by moving or pressing a button.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I hope whoever is in charge of 6 makes sure blonde characters don't look like they have playdoh hair.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Complaining about recovery animation is really fucking funny. The dev time spent on those animation flourishes goes literally no where else. If you don't want to see them, you don't have to.

Oct 25, 2017
No because it's not, I honestly do not like exaggerated for no reason animations or useless filler stuff in fighters
Man have I got the game for you!

Edit: Also what is your opinion on alternate costumes?

I honestly think some of the post-anims on Sak and Blanka are too much but for the most part they look amazing, especially Cody, G, Zeku, and Abby and I'm upset they didn't go back and add them to pre-S2 characters.

Also if you're gonna complain about bad animations, Cammy air-throw and Gief crouch grab are right there, no need to pick on stuff that is subjective.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
I think someone at Capcom watched the Sugar Punch video about animation florishes where he praised Rock Howard's animation where he quickly fixes his hair after heavy punches and kicks and went EUREKA! but went way overboard with it.

I think that Rock works because it feels natural. A snappy action like throwing a punch made his hair fall on his face and he moves it quickly because he's in the middle of a fight. Vanessa shaking her hands after her super also feels natural, but doing a full coreography after a single punch really feels too forced.

vanessa-owowow.gif

The animations are pretty good but I would have prefered if they would've used them as alternate intros/outros instead of wasting them on something that would be cancelled pretty much all the time during a fight and they used short stuff as flourishes or after big combos to enrich their character's personalities.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like people have said they don't like the extra animations because cancelling out of them looks janky as fuck when characters like Cody have them on every move. Like, fuck we know you cancel them, that's the issue. It just looks janky as fuck when animations don't play out fully cause they take so long.