WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Complaining about recovery animation is really fucking funny. The dev time spent on those animation flourishes goes literally no where else. If you don't want to see them, you don't have to.
I happen to know a poor soul with bananas for hair that could have used some more dev time :( I'd gladly sacrifice Zeku busting moves on the dance floor for that luxurious Ken hair

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man have I got the game for you!

Edit: Also what is your opinion on alternate costumes?

I honestly think some of the post-anims on Sak and Blanka are too much but for the most part they look amazing, especially Cody, G, Zeku, and Abby and I'm upset they didn't go back and add them to pre-S2 characters.

Also if you're gonna complain about bad animations, Cammy air-throw and Gief crouch grab are right there, no need to pick on stuff that is subjective.

Marvel 3 is a pretty good game.

Alt costumes are awesome, except the ones that are way too exaggerated and cover limbs and animations the character was designed to show for move readability purposes

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I don't necessarily think all the little flourishers after an attack are created equally (some look weirder than other tbh) but it's still a nice little touch you'll rarely see and it's not really an issue as long as it doesn't take away from the rest of the animation work.

Deleted member 61909

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2019
you know, I never really cared about the post-recovery animations cause I rarely see them unless they animate right before post round locks your controls. I don't really see any value in them with the effort being put into them.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017

Ten minutes of Cody's extra animations in SF5

TEN

FUCKING

MINUTES

They look ridiculous when you highlight them like this, but the thing is (and I assume Capcom had this in mind when animating the characters) is that you almost never see these recovery animations. The character returns to his idle state (gameplay-wise, that is, not animation-wise) SUPER early in the recovery animation and you don't wanna stand still and do nothing.

The above video looks ridiculous with how he adjusts back into his idle stance after every single move, but this is how it looks like in normal gameplay:

How often do you actually see those elaborate recovery animations? Maybe once or twice in an entire round, and then I think they're really effective at giving the character more personality. It would be super ridiculous if you saw them after every attack, but that's not what happens during normal gameplay.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It's almost like people have said they don't like the extra animations because cancelling out of them looks janky as fuck when characters like Cody have them on every move. Like, fuck we know you cancel them, that's the issue. It just looks janky as fuck when animations don't play out fully cause they take so long.
Even then it's just such a minor thing to be upset about. Personally I honest to god never even notice it. You act like it takes a second to cancel these animations and another second for character to awkwardly return to their idle pose. It doesn't. It's split second work and barely even noticeable, let alone 'janky as fuck'.

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
Man have I got the game for you!

Edit: Also what is your opinion on alternate costumes?

I honestly think some of the post-anims on Sak and Blanka are too much but for the most part they look amazing, especially Cody, G, Zeku, and Abby and I'm upset they didn't go back and add them to pre-S2 characters.

Also if you're gonna complain about bad animations, Cammy air-throw and Gief crouch grab are right there, no need to pick on stuff that is subjective.

greetings
please do not use my hot n sweet video to defend your shit game plz and thank u
regards,
seyavesh

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
i'm pretty certain all problems with modern society can be traced back to Ken's hair looking silly in one game
More than silly, Ken's hair is so bad that just looking at it kills you. It's like a basilisk
ken-984ef.jpg

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
you know, I never really cared about the post-recovery animations cause I rarely see them unless they animate right before post round locks your controls. I don't really see any value in them with the effort being put into them.

Just as much value, to me, as all of those special intros people miss that you watch once or twice and then skip for the next 10 years. They add personality and character through animation.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
My hope for SF VI, is that they ditch the GaaS model & go back to how they've done SF IV & it's iterations. Or be more like KOF XIV. No more fight money & this other garbage.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018

G wouldn't be half as amazing as he is if they'd didn't give him built-in taunts after he does nearly anything

"It's Super Tuesday!"

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My hope for SF VI, is that they ditch the GaaS model & go back to how they've done SF IV & it's iterations. Or be more like KOF XIV. No more fight money & this other garbage.

You mean the same way they've done it in SF5 since launch with season passes and free gameplay updates? I, too, hate being able to unlock characters and stages through playing the game. I want to pay for everything with REAL MONEY.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the same way they've done it in SF5 since launch with season passes and free gameplay updates? I, too, hate being able to unlock characters and stages through playing the game. I want to pay for everything with REAL MONEY.
Yeah don't really get this complaint. SFV's service model for the most part has been good.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You know if 6 was going bad what's stopping Capcom from just reusing assets from 5 for it?
Beyond the team mechanics, we don't know what exactly was wrong with SFVI. That plus starting from scratch for each new numbered entry is basically tradition at this point (especially if they're making a more radical art style change).

Why does Zeku dance,wiggle his fingers and pose? Is he trying to summon rain?
He's trying to sell you on his new martial art.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019

KOF XIV has had 50 characters out of the gate. Capcom tried to be more like DOA by coming out with multiple costumes, stages, etc. in order to try to make more money & to salvage the game's reputation within the majority of fans, which failed miserably.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
KOF XIV has had 50 characters out of the gate. Capcom tried to be more like DOA by coming out with multiple costumes, stages, etc. in order to try to salvage the game's reputation within the majority of fans, which failed miserably.

Five years and 5 million copies later, and people still genuinely think this.

You do you, breh. lol.

I guess if they were more like KoF14, we wouldn't be talking about SF5 anymore.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
KOF XIV has had 50 characters out of the gate. Capcom tried to be more like DOA by coming out with multiple costumes, stages, etc. in order to try to make more money & to salvage the game's reputation within the majority of fans, which failed miserably.
They've been pretty successful in turning things around for SFV. The last thing we need is a return to SFIV's player-base-splitting paid updates.

Pretty much every modern fighting game has gone with the GaaS approach, even Smash. SFV's seasonal DLC rollout is here to stay.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe SFVI/Capcom could go the NetherRealm route: a solid selection of characters, then some fighter packs?

How is that different than what SF5 is, aside from the people being disappointed by the launch roster? And also, aside from being able to unlock characters, for free, through fight money (even if it is more sparse than it used to be)?

PetyrBaeless

Apr 3, 2019
How is that different than what SF5 is, aside from the people being disappointed by the launch roster? And also, aside from being able to unlock characters, for free, through fight money (even if it is more sparse than it used to be)?

Fair point, though I think people were also disappointed by the lack of features in the game itself, too.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I really hope they improve the hair and clothes physics, that shit looked wack speaking as a spectator mainly

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Wait what, FM system hate again? The system that allows players to get free dlc characters from playing the game? Good lord man.

I hope the FM system comes back!!!!!!!!&!!!

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
GaaS isn't going away for fighting games. It's just too profitable when you have a smaller audience of devoted players. Even fighting games with mass appeal (Like MK) still go for the GaaS model because there will always be that small core audience to milk.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Five years and 5 million copies later, and people still genuinely think this.

You do you, breh. lol.

I guess if they were more like KoF14, we wouldn't be talking about SF5 anymore.

Capcom had lost a majority of casuals by chasing E-Sports in the first place in which the majority of the game was basically unfinished. How do you think MK 11 was so successful?

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom had lost a majority of casuals by chasing E-Sports & tournaments in the first place. How do you think MK 11 was so successful?

I don't even know what point you're trying to make anymore. You started out saying you hope they get rid of fight money and GAAS shit, even though that's literally every fighter now, and now you're talking about this.

SF6 will be handled like SF5 is, because it's how EVERY fighter is handled now, except we won't have fight money to unlock stuff for free. We'll have to pay for everything with real money. So, you know, your wish will be granted, without all of this random nonsense you're talking around now.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
i always feel I'm in a strange bizarro dimension when i see people pine for the days of buying to buy a whole ass new release just to get 4~8 new fighters

like that wasn't always something people haven't been complaining about since the dawn of time

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much every fighting game from SF to Tekken to Samurai Shodown to MK all have similar GaaS features. MK integrates it all into their online and just released a nearly $50 season pass. Fight Money is the most fair version in the genre so far as you've always had the option to buy the new seasons for a cost similar, or less than, what competitor or SFIV would have charged. Or play for an eternity, season 3 and on, to get the characters for free.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I don't even know what point you're trying to make anymore. You started out saying you hope they get rid of fight money and GAAS shit, even though that's literally every fighter now, and now you're talking about this.

SF6 will be handled like SF5 is, because it's how EVERY fighter is handled now, except we won't have fight money to unlock stuff for free. We'll have to pay for everything with real money. So, you know, your wish will be granted, without all of this random nonsense you're talking around now.

Heh, "random nonsense". Chasing the GaaS model is what led to the destruction of SFV in the first place. Everything that I said all ties together.

GaaS isn't going away for fighting games. It's just too profitable when you have a smaller audience of devoted players. Even fighting games with mass appeal (Like MK) still go for the GaaS model because there will always be that small core audience to milk.

I have to disagree. I believe that GaaS will be a demise to gaming as a whole. It's just all an exploitative, cash grab model in which most companies won't put in decent effort because it's easy money for them.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Heh, "random nonsense". Chasing the GaaS model is what led to the destruction of SFV in the first place. Everything that I said all ties together.

I have to disagree. I believe that GaaS will be a demise to gaming as a whole. It's just all an exploitative, cash grab model in which most companies won't put in decent effort because it's easy money for them.
The previous model for fighting games was full price or near full price re-releases with added content. The genre has more or less had the same practices for the last three decades. With it being usually cheaper since the 360 gen because I can buy $15 of DLC rather than spending another $40 for GGXX Acent Core.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, "random nonsense". Chasing the GaaS model is what led to the destruction of SFV in the first place. Everything that I said all ties together.

It doesn't tie together. You're talking nonsense that has little basis in reality. Fighting games are cheaper, more convenient, and easier for newcomers to get into than they've ever been specifically because of this model. We have one version of a game that EVERYBODY can buy and it's continually supported for years with new content. Nobody is ever locked out of playing with their friends if they bought a vanilla version at launch and decide they want to hop in years later. This and the fact that you try to spin Fight Money as something that was bad just tells me you don't pay attention to the genre and just have a problem with the "idea" of GaaS.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think you know what GAAS means at this point lol.

You can approach SFV like you do every other FG on the market and just buy the character passes and legit just ignore the FM system total. Its what I did (out of laziness).

This is really an outdated complaint.

Namtab

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine people still complaining about fight money.

Why get it for free when you can pay for it huh?

Oct 25, 2017
The last big fighting game that comes to mind that didn't follow a GaaS model is MvCI, and that's because they didn't get the chance to.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They look ridiculous when you highlight them like this, but the thing is (and I assume Capcom had this in mind when animating the characters) is that you almost never see these recovery animations. The character returns to his idle state (gameplay-wise, that is, not animation-wise) SUPER early in the recovery animation and you don't wanna stand still and do nothing.

The above video looks ridiculous with how he adjusts back into his idle stance after every single move, but this is how it looks like in normal gameplay:

How often do you actually see those elaborate recovery animations? Maybe once or twice in an entire round, and then I think they're really effective at giving the character more personality. It would be super ridiculous if you saw them after every attack, but that's not what happens during normal gameplay.

Indeed. Look at Cody in that video, he looks perfectly fine, cancelling out of this stuff isn't an issue because you literally don't see them in the middle of the action. Most of these animations are honestly really neat, especially Cody's knife animations. That said, some of them work really well when you finish off a round. As an Ed main I really appreciate them since many of his post-recovery animations are essentially taunts.

Wl3Cmdy.gif

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

Can't say I agree with that. It costs a lot less for more content than purchasing previous revisions seperately as we'd been doing ever since Street Fighter 2 Turbo/Championship edition. And this one even gives free gameplay upgrades + the ability to get most content free by becoming more skilled at the game.