• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
One Finger Death Punch 2 with an...8??

Isn't this pretty much like the original or did they add a lot to it?

Ouch at that MK score. Days Gone...eh. I can see it being in the 5-6 range. It doesn't really do anything above average.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I kind of agree with the MK11 score.

Game is gorgeous, and story mode was neat, but I loathe playing it. Progression was anything but a joy, and I cannot stand the dial-in style of combat.

As someone who didn't play previous MK games much (other than MK1, 2, 3 ages ago - and I played through MK10 and Injustice 2 stories and that's it) - and is now having fun with MK11, can you tell me what was the progression before? Did you unlock cometics faster? Or was it something else?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looking forward to the same people who were talking up cheatcodecentral and the daily star in the days gone thread talking shit about edge

Heh.

But seriously I was surprised how many people were arguing in favour of a flipping tabloid. But hey at least it was not the S*n..?

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
I can't take that MK score seriously but it's their opinion. MK11 is a great fighting game and the progression stuff while not great is overblown.

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
People getting mad over review scores, this forum is no different from any other gaming forum is it lol.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Because 99% of outlets still use scores? Maybe instead of thinking that you could realize other people don't share the same opinions you do and also that the review scale for videogames still skews abnormally high.
I think maybe his arguement is that if people just look at a numeric score and make their initial opinion from that (as you mentioned), wouldnt it be better to drop having numeric scores overall, even if 99% of the outlet using them? Then such "problem" (for a lack of better word) wouldnt be there.

But yeah, reviews are just personal opinions from someone, so there is no right or wrong answer to it. The only objective thing would be mentioning features and content, and if a game has a technical problem(s). This is why i basically never read reviews and make my decisions to buy or not buy a game based on this, since their opinion might be very different from mine. I dont mind at all people doing reviews, just to point that out.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
surprisingly, last month when most of the games got high scores, no one had any complaints about edge being edgy, dead or irrelevant.

Last edited:

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is embarassing. People still immediately dismissing reviews or outlets based on a numerical score.
Yep.

It really is surprising that after decades of being told that review scores are subjective, there are still people who think there's such a thing as a minimum score that a game should receive.

Why still use a score system though?
While I respect opinions, the first thing I see is, let's say, Days Gone getting 5/10... Personally, I think DG is one of the best games this year so far and one of the best open world games I've played, so of course I'm tempted to post "wtf is this shit!? Have they even played the damn game!? ".
If that's what you think when you see a 5/10 review of a game, then when you say "I respect opinions", you're incorrect. You don't. You respect opinions as long as they closely align with yours, and the moment they're a bit off, your instant reaction is to question the validity of the opinion and suspect that the entire review is a lie.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why still use a score system though?
While I respect opinions, the first thing I see is, let's say, Days Gone getting 5/10... Personally, I think DG is one of the best games this year so far and one of the best open world games I've played, so of course I'm tempted to post "wtf is this shit!? Have they even played the damn game!? ".

Lmao it's quite clear that no, you do not "respect opinions".

I think maybe his arguement is that if people just look at a numeric score and make their initial opinion from that (as you mentioned), wouldnt it be better to drop having numeric scores overall, even if 99% of the outlet using them? Then such "problem" (for a lack of better word) wouldnt be there.

Not Edge's fault that manchildren can't handle someone else not liking their favourite game.

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here is what EDGE said about Injustice 2:

"This is still a Neatherrealm game, with all that implies, and it isn't without its missteps. But for lone wolves, at least, this is the richest fighting game on the market. [Aug 2017, p.110] "

I'm not sure why they continue to have someone who clearly doesn't like NRS games to review them.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You have Bloodborne rune as avatar, so you should remember that Edge gave a 10 to Bloodborne. When they think a game is great they give it the score it deserves according to the full 1-10 scale, nothing edgy about that.
To be fair edge is like any other publication, the people behind it have very clear biases when it comes to from software and rockstar games. Not that it's bad or anything but there's no need to put specific publication on pedestal because reasons

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
Didn't Days Gone receive a lot of 5s from big outlets? I don't think the score is very controversial. Outside the ERA at least.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"This is still a Neatherrealm game, with all that implies, and it isn't without its missteps. But for lone wolves, at least, this is the richest fighting game on the market. [Aug 2017, p.110] "

I'm not sure why they continue to have someone who clearly doesn't like NRS games to review them.

The idea that someone must love a studio's work in order to be qualified to review their titles continues to be completely ridiculous.

The only qualification needed to review something should be a reasonable understanding of the genre.

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised that they're giving attention to random PC exclusive indie One Finger Death Punch 2.

And that's a good thing, the game is great and is very cheap, buy today.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Not Edge's fault that manchildren can't handle someone else not liking their favourite game.
True enough, but its not really about Edge in specific, its more about reacting to review scores in general. Some outlets has dropped the numeric review score because they want people to read their conclusion instead on mainly looking at the numeric score alone (at least i think this is the reason).

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada

But yeah, reviews are just personal opinions from someone, so there is no right or wrong answer to it. The only objective thing would be mentioning features and content, and if a game has a technical problem(s). This is why i basically never read reviews and make my decisions to buy or not buy a game based on this, since their opinion might be very different from mine. I dont mind at all people doing reviews, just to point that out.

/QUOTE]

My phone is going crazy. +_0

I just wanted to say thanks for reading correctly. The amount of disrespect here and cocky asshats is through the roof.

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea that someone must love a studio's work in order to be qualified to review their titles continues to be completely ridiculous.

The only qualification needed to review something should be a reasonable understanding of the genre.
They don't have to love a studio's work, but they should not have a bias against the core gameplay.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't Edge have individual writers/reviewers or something?

Seems odd that names of the review's authors are never mentioned in these threads.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't have to love a studio's work, but they should not have a bias against the core gameplay.

If the reviewer has a decent understanding of fighting games, they're absolutely free to have a strong opinion on how NeverRealm's games play. It doesn't take anything away from their ability to fairly review their games.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017

They gave Injustice 2 an 8. That's a very good score!

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I lost all motivation to play MK after a couple of hours. 5/10 is still pretty harsh though.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Fair scores for MK11 and WWZ

everything outside of MK11's campaign is poorly structured, and WWZ suffers from repetition, frustrating objectives, and some of the worst voice work in a modern game

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Complaining about review scores is completely ridiculous. I feel a forum rule to prohibit that would be great, if you want to complain about an review you should have to do more than "5!? wtf!!11!! eDgE is EdGy", that type of post adds nothing, actually read the review and quote something you have a problem with if you want to complain about it.

This is even more ridiculous, "If the reviewer won't like the game he shouldn't review it".

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the reviewer has a decent understanding of fighting games, they're absolutely free to have a strong opinion on how NeverRealm's games play. It doesn't take anything away from their ability to fairly review their games.
Well they clearly failed in "fairly review their games" as so many people in this thread have stated that the score is harsh.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I could probably agree with some of their scores in isolation, but if Days Gone is a 5, then Anthem definitely isn't 4, but rather something like -3.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who will be the first to make the tiresome "EDGE being edgy" 'joke'?

Edge continues to be edgy.

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why do outlet game reviewers have such bad opinions lately

A lovingly made and sincere game like Days Gone isn't just one point better than Anthem XD Same for MK11

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So they deliberately give certain games low scores so I angrily... buy their magazines to give them money?

Eh?

If that were the case they'd put the review score on the front page along with some incendiary head line like "why mk11 is the worst game in the franchise" or "top 5 reasons days gone is not worth your time"

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Do Edge subscribers really wait weeks or a month after a game launch to check scores and pick it up?