Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disregarding the obvious issues with the "you need to be an expert about media to have an opinion on it," statement, that sure is a lot of reaching considering you only have a singular number to go on.

That's why i said speaking broadly. I didn't read the reviews, but I have read reviews in general :p And I stand firmmmlyyyyyyyyyyyyy by my opinion that there are a lot of bad opinions coming out of review outlets. Youtube reviewers tend to be better (again, speaking generally)

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
I genuinely wonder if Day's Gone wasn't a Sony exclusive would people still have this reaction to the Edge review.

Much fewer posts have been made arguing against MK11's score.

Btw forgot to mention, Katana Zero was awesome and a 7 seems about right. Can't wait for the sequel so I can be continually compelled and confused by the story.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I started attempting to take them out as soon as I started running into them. I didn't wait for the story to use them in a mission. I guess that's the difference. Things like that might explain why some people like myself really like the game and some think it's a 5-6.

I did, too. Whenever I found a Horde I tried my best to take it out, but I only found a couple because they're mostly hidden, and I did it with shitty weapons because the good stuff is locked away behind dozens of hours of bandit camps, stealth kills and slow-walking on the main story path.

My overwhelming thought after Platinuming the game was that Hordes should have been front and centre from day one. Cut the survival meters, cut the bandit camps, cut a good 15-20 hours of fat out of the story and make the whole focus of the game Hordes. It's by far the best, most memorable part of the game (hell a Horde fight is what Bend used to debut the game at E3), but the bulk of the actual finished product is just the same formulaic AAA open world stuff we've seen so many times before. I don't need to take out any more bandit camps in video games, but Hordes are something new and unique, and Days Gone buries them.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Edge is just like the clown at the house party.

More like the brutally honest court jester, spewing honest truths that makes the establishment embarrassed. I don't see how critics who dare do their job and actually be, y'know, critical can be a bad thing for anyone except publishers or fanboys.

Or do we prefer a scenario where every game that isn't offensively bad gets scores teetering around 7-8?

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Maybe you could at least spare the couple minutes to read the full review. Then you could at least see their reasoning behind the "avalanche of needless distractions" line.
Sure but i cant find any full review anywhere.

Also you can disagree with a overall statement without knowing the details if you played the game and they are called a "avalanche" and you have to think really hard to come up with even more than one.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Lotta sad reactions in here to some review scores...

Honestly, I'm just happy someone is likely calling out all the poor features in MK11. No matter how damn good the fatalities look.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
I love that there is one magazine that doesn't even post their reveiws online. Such a refreshing change of pace from the internet blitz. Seriously considering subscribing.

Plum

May 31, 2018
That's why i said speaking broadly. I didn't read the reviews, but I have read reviews in general :p And I stand firmmmlyyyyyyyyyyyyy by my opinion that there are a lot of bad opinions coming out of review outlets. Youtube reviewers tend to be better (again, speaking generally)

Review outlets aren't a hive-mind nor are Youtube reviewers. This kind of thinking is the stuff of Youtube comments, frankly.
what about specific numbers makes them edgy?

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

I don't know about you but numbers like 2, 4 and 5 have a lot of edges to them. You could definitely cut yourself on 7's edge as well!

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know how you can't review a game you didn't actually play? Yeah, kinda the same thing, you can't criticize a review you didn't actually read.
The conclusion should be a summary and include all the main points of the review. It is definitely not the same as playing a game.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Sure but i cant find any full review anywhere.

Also you can disagree with a overall statement without knowing the details if you played the game and they are called a "avalanche" and you have to think really hard to come up with even more than one.
That's like, your opinion, what they might consider a negative, or a distraction as they described it, might be a thing that you don't, and that's fine.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Don't worry, people, Crackdown 3 also got a 5, and that's a great game, so MK11 and Days Gone are in good company.

I didn't even know that One Finger Death Punch 2 was out, is it also coming to consoles?

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I genuinely wonder if Day's Gone wasn't a Sony exclusive would people still have this reaction to the Edge review.

Much fewer posts have been made arguing against MK11's score.

Btw forgot to mention, Katana Zero was awesome and a 7 seems about right. Can't wait for the sequel so I can be continually compelled and confused by the story.

I haven't played MK11. If you're implying that people are upset because they're Sony fanboys, I'm sure there's some truth to that, but not in my case. I've stated numerous times that I was very much on the fence about Days Gone since it's reveal. The only thing that gained my interest were some youtube streams I saw in the days leading up to release. The review scores really put me off, but I absolutely had to get something to break me away from Sekiro, lol. I was on my third time through the game and I think my wife would have hit me with a frying pan if she heard *clang clang clang* one more time. I went in expecting the worst and genuinely loved every minute I played. I rarely platinum games, but I couldn't put this one down. I think that's part of the reason I got a bit defensive over the Edge score, because I know that score will end up steering some people away, and I'd hate if that happened to me. But, that is just my opinion and I have to respect that others might not share it.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm amazed we can tell that Edge's reviews are both brutally honest and complete falsehoods using nothing more than the numbers beside the game titles.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
The MK11 score surprised me, but I respect it. I can't say I'd give it a 5 myself, but its' definitely my least favorite MK of the last 3. Hell, I liked Deception more.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
people reviewing games for outlets are people just like you and me, you know that right? there's no reason to believe at any point in time the collective opinions of those people are more right or wrong than usual.

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but there are no qualifications here and speaking broadly I don't think people without much knowledge or expertise in a subject should be given a platform and the power to damage it

Like I could hold the opinion that Citizen Kane is a piece of shit or that Mad Max Fury Road is badly edited poorly acted and a 3/10, and that's my right, but no one would or should take me seriously as a reviewer

Yea, lets compare days gone to citizen kane and fury road

If days gone was not a sony first party game no-one would have any problems with these scores. By all accounts it is an ugly, clunky, buggy disaster of a game with terrible gameplay and a laughable story

Plum

May 31, 2018
I never said they were hive minds. Because you're responding to something i never said or suggested I'm not sure how to respond

You said that because you've read a few bad (in your opinion) reviews from outlets that we should automatically disregard EDGE as well. The only way that would be anywhere near a valid thing to say would be if you believed review outlets were a part of a hivemind instead of simply a group of individual people who should be taken on a case-by-case basis.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people reviewing games for outlets are people just like you and me, you know that right? there's no reason to believe at any point in time the collective opinions of those people are more right or wrong than usual.

I could write at length about why I think review outlets in particular have a pattern of bizarre/uninformed opinions relative to youtubers, but I never said that all review outlets are the same, or that the writers aren't individual human beings. I'm not sure why this keeps happening. Again, since I never said that, I'm not sure how to respond to your response.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I could write at length about why I think this is, but I never said that all review outlets are the same. I'm not sure why this keeps happening. Again, since I never said that, I'm not sure how to respond to your response.
You might have worded your opinion badly on those posts. :P
I also got what those people are saying from your posts.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Not everyone buys games on launch.
Ofcourse not. I was asking how many people usually ignore general reception and are primarily influenced by Edge scores. The price for the games would not necessarily be cheaper at that point should they score good enough to warrant a purchase.
edge magazine has quite a bit more than just reviews
I like to read good writing on games by people who know their onions, whether in their reviews or previews, features etc.
This is mainly why I get their digital issues from time to time. I wish there was also a way to read them on laptop or desktop or if the Android options were of better quality.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
I haven't played MK11. If you're implying that people are upset because they're Sony fanboys, I'm sure there's some truth to that, but not in my case. I've stated numerous times that I was very much on the fence about Days Gone since it's reveal. The only thing that gained my interest were some youtube streams I saw in the days leading up to release. The review scores really put me off, but I absolutely had to get something to break me away from Sekiro, lol. I was on my third time through the game and I think my wife would have hit me with a frying pan if she heard *clang clang clang* one more time. I went in expecting the worst and genuinely loved every minute I played. I rarely platinum games, but I couldn't put this one down. I think that's part of the reason I got a bit defensive over the Edge score, because I know that score will end up steering some people away, and I'd hate if that happened to me. But, that is just my opinion and I have to respect that others might not share it.

Oh yeah I wasn't specifically calling anyone out. I felt similarly about Spider-Man last year, though just not to that extreme. The reviews talked about how monotonous the crimes were and how they stagnated over time, but I couldn't put it down.

I do agree that thankfully it got really good reviews across the board because of everything else, but for someone who likes sidequest they could have been put off by something that I did not find to be true.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Embarrassing thread - will the Prime Minister tell the people of Scotland that low grade, drive by posts because a platform exclusive game scored poorly - by a notorious grader no less - are not welcome in this House.

5 for Days Gone?...
And yet 6 for WWZ?.......

Ok...
Edge continues to be edgy.
Edge is just like the clown at the house party.
Clickbait scores as usually.
Pick up Bait then 😡

Guys they're Edgy, don't worry about their scores.

This:
This thread is embarassing. People still immediately dismissing reviews or outlets based on a numerical score.
Not a fuckin' word or hype about any of the features. I'd love to read more about Tetris Effect so I'll be picking that up for sure.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Love EDGE work, 90% of the time their reviews are aligned with my taste so I look forward to read these, especially the MK11 one, I think they really hated the bullshit grindy nature of the game and it's very good that they put a lot of their thoughts on the monetization, more magazines and sites should give lower scores when they see shit like that.

Oof at some people getting worked out in here tho over a score, EDGE scores are always pretty much explained in their reviews, people in here being worked out over this because of...? It's not like they just slap a 5 and write on the review "lmaooo this is so mediocre" they always give a very good reason for it.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
"Oddly, for a game so obsessed with death in all its grisly form, poor execution of decent ideas"

What does that even mean? What does excellent gore have anything to do with execution of ideas?

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You said that because you've read a few bad (in your opinion) reviews from outlets that we should automatically disregard EDGE as well. The only way that would be anywhere near a valid thing to say would be if you believed review outlets were a part of a hivemind instead of simply a group of individual people who should be taken on a case-by-case basis.

I automatically disregard all reviews unless I know a lot about the individual writing them.

Incidentally I don't need to read the reasoning to know that I'll never agree that Days Gone and MK11 are of similar quality to Anthem, and furthermore find it pretty beyond the pale

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Probably one of few publications where the review is more important than the score itself.

Not only they are delivering some of the harshest but also fairest critiques and rare instance where they judge on a merit of game design, not surface level blows and whistles.

Of course posting scores alone is going to scratch people the wrong way.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best controlling MK game ever gets a 5 because of Krypt issues that got fixed? Game journos suck at reviewing fighting games. If Third Strike came out today, I guarantee you it would be getting 6's and 7's for "lack of content" even though it has arguably the best fighting system ever made.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The conclusion is baffling and an understanding of how it was reached will make little difference.
Actually having read/watched/played what you're criticizing makes a difference. But from this post it's clear you just want to complain about review scores and nothing else.
"Oddly, for a game so obsessed with death in all its grisly form, poor execution of decent ideas"

What does that even mean? What does excellent gore have anything to do with execution of ideas?
How well done or creative are the fatalities, could be one of the things the reviewers is talking about, MKX has plenty that are pretty boring.