PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
EDGE don't name the reviewers which is probably smart since you see the reactions here, on Twitter etc it would be even worse.
Honestly, I'd prefer to have my name out there. Being part of some monolith would never sit well with me.

It's bad enough that the outlet I write for won't let me use words like "me", "myself", and "I". Giving up the last traces of individualism to a company name is a bit shit.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Pick up Bait then šŸ˜”

Guys they're Edgy, don't worry about their scores.
Clickbait scores as usually.
The hell?

They just use the full range of scores.

I will never understand why Edge are singled out for having a common sense scoring curve that matches just about every other reviewing community's compared to all these other gaming sites (were an average score is a 7.5 for some stupid reason?). It's wild.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I Platinum'd Days Gone and I'd probably give it a 6 or 7 at best. There's very little there that you haven't seen a dozen times before in earlier open-world Bandit-Camp-'Em-Ups with more interesting stories, characters, settings or gameplay styles (or all of the above). The first 15 hours are straight up bad, the next 20 or so are decent but still just familiar AAA open world stuff, and you only get to the really good stuff (the Hordes) after like 40-50 hours. They all but hide the game's best feature as endgame content. I obviously enjoyed it enough to get all the Trophies, but that game is heavily flawed.

I was taking out hordes a few hours in. No idea what you're talking about with the 40-50 hours thing.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I agree with Edge here, maybe a little too high for SW Quest since I didn't enjoy it as much as Dig 2 or Heist, but good on them.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
After the previous two MK games got similar scores from Edge, this shouldn't be surprising.

Edit: Oh duh, "miserable netcode" was from the MKX review. Which makes a lot more sense.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe y'all could actually read the revā€”naaaaah too much effort. This is the rotten tomatoes generation. Just look at a number and react accordingly.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
it's not really meant to be taken seriously, but i strongly disagree that reviews use more of the scale these days. for the vast majority of websites, a score of 7 or lower is saved for very mediocre games, and 5 means complete garbage.

the same score

screenshot2019-05-23avbjaj.png
Just shows they just dont like these games.

So much talk without almost any substance.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
When it comes to exclusives, Edge confirming that Days Gone is the crackdown 3 of the playstation family. A heavily flawed gem that was loved by a large majority of those who played it.....5/10.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Katana Zero is my GOTY though I can't argue with that score.

Days Gone got the score it deserved.

No, it really didn't. Doesn't matter though, as it's selling great because people are seeing past bullshit scores like that. I understand criticism over the games flaws, but a 5/10? That's just crazy talk to me. Maybe I just got lucky and it wasn't the broken mess for me it was for others, and I liked the story that reviewers hated.

Translation: They didn't like the game as much as me and that pisses my cranky ass off. They have every right to not like the game and people should decide for themselves, not one person writing for a print magazine. When I do things like this, which thankfully is rarely, I need to remember how much I hated Wolfenstein: The New Colossus. A shit ton of people loved it but it was painful for me to get through. Yeah, I need to remember that when I go to make "bullshit" statements like what I wrote above. My apologies NotLiquid

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to exclusives, Edge confirming that Days Gone is the crackdown 3 of the playstation family. A heavily flawed gem that was loved by a large majority of those who played it.....5/10.
I mean, one person's opinion matching yours is hardly a confirmation. Even if it is written in a cool magazine.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I was taking out hordes a few hours in. No idea what you're talking about with the 40-50 hours thing.

You can run across them in the open world earlier, but the point where the story starts pitting you against them, the game marks them on your map, and you start unlocking the weapons and equipment you really want to fight them, is like 40-50 hours in.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My phone is going crazy. +_0

I just wanted to say thanks for reading correctly. The amount of disrespect here and cocky asshats is through the roof.

Imagine defending your "I respect people's opinions but these people who disagree with me are wrong" hot take.

Just shows they just dont like these games.

So much talk without almost any substance.

You know that that's the conclusion of the entire two/three-column review? Not the entire review? Have you read the entire review?

No, it really didn't. Doesn't matter though, as it's selling great because people are seeing past bullshit scores like that. I understand criticism over the games flaws, but a 5/10? That's just crazy talk to me. Maybe I just got lucky and it wasn't the broken mess for me it was for others, and I liked the story that reviewers hated.

Do you know how opinions work?

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Do Edge subscribers really wait weeks or a month after a game launch to check scores and pick it up?
As others have mentioned not everyone buys games day 1, but then I also don't use Edge has a buying guide either. I like to read good writing on games by people who know their onions, whether in their reviews or previews, features etc.

Deleted member 39144

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
It's genuinely something watching people getting worked up by someone else not liking something as much as they do.

I fucking loved my time with the last Star Ocean on PS4 - spent about 70 hours in the world. The game reviewed poorly and got shat on from a great height. I've never once felt the need to whine about what others thought of it. I enjoyed it and that's all that matters.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Do Edge subscribers really wait weeks or a month after a game launch to check scores and pick it up?
I'm not sure Edge subscribers actually exist and the magazine isn't just a figment of our imagination.

I've never seen an issue of Edge magazine in person. Have you?

Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone got about what I expected from them considering it is the type of game they would hate.

It is one of my game of the year contender. Glad to see it doing well.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The legit shook reactions to Edge reviews has only seemed to increase over the last year.

Thus I conclude, whippersnappers new to this full scale and concise well explained approach to reviews can't handle it.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
They don't appear in the critical path (along with specialty items to help defeat them) until very late in the game. You can run into them in the world a lot earlier than that though.
You can run across them in the open world earlier, but the point where the story starts pitting you against them, the game marks them on your map, and you start unlocking the weapons and equipment you really want to fight them, is like 40-50 hours in.

I started attempting to take them out as soon as I started running into them. I didn't wait for the story to use them in a mission. I guess that's the difference. Things like that might explain why some people like myself really like the game and some think it's a 5-6.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't. They just have different opinions to you.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but there are no qualifications here and speaking broadly I don't think people without much knowledge or expertise in a subject should be given a platform and the power to damage it

Like I could hold the opinion that Citizen Kane is a piece of shit or that Mad Max Fury Road is badly edited poorly acted and a 3/10, and that's my right, but no one would or should take me seriously as a reviewer

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

This has been my main criticism of the game by far so far. I'm a lot of hours into the game now (I grabbed it on launch day) and the lack of horde interaction in 99% of my playtime is just criminal considering how much of an emphasis the marketing had on it. It was the biggest selling point to me - seeing those hordes spill out of buildings and imagining how I'd escape from them. In reality I've spent vast majority of my time with the game stealth killing humans and single zombies. I have run into hordes... There's that relatively small one near the start in the train and I've stumbled into maybe two others randomly? But they haven't been a focus at all in the game. They've been less than a side activity so far. I like the game but it's been pretty disappointing. They're by far my favourite bits of the game and I was expecting the game to have much more of an emphasis on big groups and navigating the hordes.

Oct 27, 2017
I would argue Days Gone flaws are mostly fixed now. It is definitely atleast an 8/10 game that is really engaging.

Definitely nowhere near Crackdown level.

Plum

May 31, 2018
No, it really didn't. Doesn't matter though, as it's selling great because people are seeing past bullshit scores like that.

I'll don't understand cries of "FAKE NEWS" when it comes to actual news but I doubt I'll ever understand cries of "FAKE NEWS!" when it comes to opinions, especially when you haven't even had the chance to read the thinking behind those opinions.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but there are no qualifications here and speaking broadly I don't think people without much knowledge or expertise in a subject should be given a platform and the power to damage it

Like I could hold the opinion that Citizen Kane is a piece of shit or that Mad Max is badly edited poorly acted and a 3/10, and that's my right, but no one would or should take me seriously as a reviewer

Disregarding the obvious issues with the "you need to be an expert about media to have an opinion on it," statement, that sure is a lot of reaching considering you only have a singular number to go on.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
A magazine didn't give a game a score I'd perceive to accurately reflect what I would give it?
*knocks over magazine rack*

It's absurd that these reactions to review scores still happen.
Or rather that they're from supposed adults, I guess

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry but when i read dumb stuff like "avalanche of needless distractions" for MKX i cant take you seriously.

I agree that the netcode wasnt great at launch but besides that it was a excellent game.
Maybe you could at least spare the couple minutes to read the full review. Then you could at least see their reasoning behind the "avalanche of needless distractions" line.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
MK11 being given a 5 makes sense given they've had longer to review it. MK11 is absolutely a game that starts out with a good impression but that spurs with each hour you spend with it after the story is done.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Days Gone receive a lot of 5s from big outlets? I don't think the score is very controversial. Outside the ERA at least.
9 reviews on metacritic with scores of 5 or lower. i really don't see why people would be surprised at the score it got from edge, if anything because they are harsher than most other places a 5 isn't that bad.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with Edge magazine review score threads is that they're just people talking about scores and people complaining that people aren't subscribing to a gaming magazine so they can talk about scores more in-depth.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019

Like I could hold the opinion that Citizen Kane is a piece of shit or that Mad Max Fury Road is badly edited poorly acted and a 3/10, and that's my right, but no one would or should take me seriously as a reviewer
What makes you think the people reviewing for Edge don't have knowledge or expertise in games? Because you disagree with them? Have you even read the review?

And comparing Days Gone to Citzen Kane is definitely a reach...

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A magazine didn't give a game a score I'd perceive to accurately reflect what I would give it?
*knocks over magazine rack*

It's absurd that these reactions to review scores still happen.
Or rather that they're from supposed adults, I guess
That brings up he question though of why even have this thread in the first place if people aren't supposed to respond to the information in it.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017

People might actually take you seriously if you provide sufficient reasoning to back up your views.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i have to say, EDGE review scores are some of the most misaligned in relation to my own tastes out of pretty much every other outlet in the business.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'll don't understand cries of "FAKE NEWS" when it comes to actual news but I doubt I'll ever understand cries of "FAKE NEWS!" when it comes to opinions, especially when you haven't even had the chance to read the thinking behind those opinions.

Disregarding the obvious issues with the "you need to be an expert about media to have an opinion on it," statement, that sure is a lot of reaching considering you only have a singular number to go on.

Wow, using the "fake news" line now. I'll admit, what I should have said is, based on what I experienced with the game during my time getting the platinum, I didn't encounter anything that would even remotely lower the game to that score. So the "bullshit score" line was probably a knee jerk reaction, but I did clarify after that saying that I didn't encounter the majority of issues I've seen noted with the game. If the reviewer felt it deserved a 5, I have to respect that. I just can't help but think that if I were someone that bought games off reviewer scores or a metacritic average, I'd miss out on some of the best games this gen. I've never had so many differences of opinion as I have with games in the past few years.

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you could at least spare the couple minutes to read the full review. Then you could at least see their reasoning behind the "avalanche of needless distractions" line.
So now the argument is that you can't talk about what they have to say unless you give them money and read the full review. Okay. Might as well close the thread.