• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I want that Dynamic Theme, but would rather just pay the money directly via PSN instead.

Nestle was bought out by Ferrero. They dialed back the sweetness and made the flavor more even between salty peanuty and sweet. I think the new ones taste fine.
Butterfinger has always been one of my favorite candy bars.

I thought they were different! Either the ones I ate as a child were stale, but I hated how they always stuck to my teeth. That was the main reason I actually avoided them.

My recent experiences have been more enjoyable.

OP
OP
Arkeband

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Usually happens with these kind of dlc doesn't it? You get it but then right away there's something far better than you could buy from a shop.

Seems like the items represent different beats in the story, wouldn't surprise me if they're relevant throughout. The datamines show things like auto-raise and all element resistances attached to some of them - and while I'd hope they're all available outside of this promo, historically these kinds of promotions have not offered items you could get just by playing.

This is after entire summons seem to be locked behind buying special editions, with one summon being behind a limited edition that costs hundreds of dollars.

If you're not bothered by anti-consumer practices that's cool, but let's be considerate of people being irked by this.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Should have had a promotion with Pepsi Co. we could have had Mako Dew and Aerith on a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos.

Will i buy 10 candy bars for what will most likely be not relevant in game items? yes. do i hate my self for it? not anymore than usual.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
People really must be angry at anything, huh? This is completely harmless marketing stuff. Don't want to buy candybars? Then don't. Who the fuck cares about some shitty ingame items than will be completely useless after the first 30min of gameplay anyway?
You're asking the wrong questions. You should be asking - "why are we ok with having in-game items blocked from access without spending additional money on candy in the real world?" It doesn't matter how insignificant the items are, it should be an issue for you. Imagine booting up the 1997 FFVII and when you try to use the Nail Bat, the game blocks you because you didn't order a chicken tikka at your local Nando's between March 3 and March 10 during Nando's "VII days of Heaven" promo.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
You're asking the wrong questions. You should be asking - "why are we ok with having in-game items blocked from access without spending additional money on candy in the real world?" It doesn't matter how insignificant the items are, it should be an issue for you. Imagine booting up the 1997 FFVII and when you try to use the Nail Bat, the game blocks you because you didn't order a chicken tikka at your local Nando's between March 3 and March 10 during Nando's "VII days of Heaven" promo.
considering the nail bat is just a joke weapon, i'm ok with that

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
considering the nail bat is just a joke weapon, i'm ok with that
That weird, oozing, slimy noise you hear is the publishers of the game slithering through the crack in the wall you've left with that justification. The next question becomes - "how essential is the butterfly sword - can we lock that behind a dozen Mountain Dew?" followed by "the players don't NEED Yoshiyuki for a complete FF7R experience ... perhaps that can be a digital preorder bonus that comes with the deluxe edition of Part 2?"

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
That weird, oozing, slimy noise you hear is the publishers of the game slithering through the crack in the wall you've left with that justification. The next question becomes - "how essential is the butterfly sword - can we lock that behind a dozen Mountain Dew?" followed by "the players don't NEED Yoshiyuki for a complete FF7R experience ... perhaps that can be a digital preorder bonus that comes with the deluxe edition of Part 2?"
I'm not hearing any noise, actually.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So if people want a physical copy of the game they're still fucked, right? Or is the option to buy an 80 dollar digital copy sufficient?

Seems sufficient to me. Just have to choose whats more valuable to you a piece of DLC which they are almost 100% going to eventually sell anyways (they did with all the exclusive FFXV stuff) or buying a physical copy of the game.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Seems sufficient to me. Just have to choose whats more valuable to you a piece of DLC which they are almost 100% going to eventually sell anyways (they did with all the exclusive FFXV stuff) or buying a physical copy of the game.
How about a fully-priced AAA character-action game that comes with all of the content packed in? Leave the extra money bonuses for little statues, steelbooks, art books, OSTs, etc. It's like playing God of War and finding out that Sindri's armor is only for those bought the $80 version of the game ... but hey we'll sell it to ya for $20 champ.

Save DLC for expansions into the game's world with new areas, characters, quests, vistas, and gameplay mechanics. The idea of locking a summon behind a paywall is just cheap money-grubbing.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fetchimage

It's a couple items in a JRPG, relax. Shit ain't that serious. I see more people loosing their shit over this then whatever summons are blocked.
For Tifa, I will brave Butterfinger's horrible new recipe.
Just buy Crunch bars, those are great.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Wow I had no idea that Carby was only in the First Class Edition for physical copies! Makes me glad I got it.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
It's a couple items in a JRPG, relax. Shit ain't that serious. I see more people loosing their shit over this then whatever summons are blocked.
If you think that publishers slowly making consumers comfortable with increasing degrees of microtransactions is a Pepe Silvia-tier conspiracy theory, you should probably take a look and where we're at in 2020 compared to when we we're openly mocking horse armor DLC in 2006.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
fetchimage

Just buy Crunch bars, those are great.

If you want the best summons, you're going to have to drop some dollars.

Knights of the Round Table Pizza DLC
Bahamut ZERO Calorie Coca Cola DLC
LEVIathan Jeans DLC

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you think that publishers slowly making consumers comfortable with increasing degrees of microtransactions is a Pepe Silvia-tier conspiracy theory, you should probably take a look and where we're at in 2020 compared to when we we're openly mocking horse armor DLC in 2006.
Kay. If in 14 years the worst for you is a couple of accessories hiding behind candybars I'd say we're good. I lootboxes and gacha games far worse then some silly non-important items behind some product placement.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Kay. If in 14 years the worst for you is a couple of accessories hiding behind candybars I'd say we're good. I lootboxes and gacha games far worse then some silly non-important items behind some product placement.
It's a couple of accessories through candy bars here
It's a couple of summons through additional spending preorder money there

After the game releases it'll be

Just a little weapon pack here
Just another few summons there

Also, it's possible to care about AAA money-grubbing and lootboxes / gacha games at the same time.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want the best summons, you're going to have to drop some dollars.

Knights of the Round Table Pizza DLC
Bahamut ZERO Calorie Coca Cola DLC
LEVIathan Jeans DLC
I guess I'll just have to live without those. Which is funny since I never get those summons in the original game anyway, but hey don't let me stop you from telling everyone about the sky falling.

Ahhhh that's the final fantasy 7 I remember....oh wait.
Yeah where's the Pepsi promo?

ERvAkgZU0AAfgpI

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I am so glad I don't give a rats arse about in game cosmetics and loot in games. It's all virtual tat IMO.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
How about a fully-priced AAA character-action game that comes with all of the content packed in? Leave the extra money bonuses for little statues, steelbooks, art books, OSTs, etc. It's like playing God of War and finding out that Sindri's armor is only for those bought the $80 version of the game ... but hey we'll sell it to ya for $20 champ.

Save DLC for expansions into the game's world with new areas, characters, quests, vistas, and gameplay mechanics. The idea of locking a summon behind a paywall is just cheap money-grubbing.
See, this is the part where you need to realize you don't NEED any of that and not reward them by playing their stupid marketing games. And then its you that win.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Though I don't think there's much to a "slippery slope" that people are touting about better weapons/summons being locked off in future installments, I'm surprised by how many are just hand-waving this away and belittling those that this angers.

"Games are too expensive to make!" is a line that keeps getting thrown at us. And then this happens. I'm not sure who benefits more out of a deal like this, but either Square is spending a lot of money for product placement, or they're receiving a lot of money from the candy company to have their products tied to FF7R. Either way, it's shitty. You can't use "it's so expensive" excuse, turn around and do this, AND THEN attempt to also sell DLC to your customers.

I mean.......you can...... But it makes the excuse of "expensive" fall flat.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah where's the Pepsi promo?

ERvAkgZU0AAfgpI
Are you really trying to make a connection between a harmless Playstation promotional tie in that saves you money on Playstation games (which heavily implies that this is not a FF7 specific promotion, it's just one of the select games) and in game items locked behind the number of candy bars you buy? Where is the similarity exactly besides FF7 being on the tin?

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
Would be cool with a promotion for Rufus as a summon, just donate to the republican party and you can play along with your favourite shinra characters!

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Though I don't think there's much to a "slippery slope" that people are touting about better weapons/summons being locked off in future installments, I'm surprised by how many are just hand-waving this away and belittling those that this angers.

"Games are too expensive to make!" is a line that keeps getting thrown at us. And then this happens. I'm not sure who benefits more out of a deal like this, but either Square is spending a lot of money for product placement, or they're receiving a lot of money from the candy company to have their products tied to FF7R. Either way, it's shitty. You can't use "it's so expensive" excuse, turn around and do this, AND THEN attempt to also sell DLC to your customers.

I mean.......you can...... But it makes the excuse of "expensive" fall flat.
I mean, no it doesn't.

You imagine they do promotions like this explicitly because the sales targets are higher than ever - a direct result of higher game dev costs.