• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
And there's really nothing to feel uncomfortable about. Cloud's a pretty popular guy. Even despite all that and the story context, chicks dig Cloud. I'm sure the dev team's more than aware about the whole shipping thing that's endured for decades among fans.

Yep.
I am not sure what there is to feel uncomfortable about .

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I keep checking every day, but there's no high-quality, non-Youtube trailer in S-E's servers :( I don't know if they'll upload it.

Anyways, what do y'all think we're getting Saturday? Will it be meaty enough, or just yet another go at the demo? Will that be what that Pabon tweet was about (incredibly doubtful imo, that's probably referring to the game itself)?

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
But will Tifa still manifest dolphins?

LTQN00x.gif

OP
OP
Xenosaga

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I keep checking every day, but there's no high-quality, non-Youtube trailer in S-E's servers :( I don't know if they'll upload it.

Anyways, what do y'all think we're getting Saturday? Will it be meaty enough, or just yet another go at the demo? Will that be what that Pabon tweet was about (incredibly doubtful imo, that's probably referring to the game itself)?
It seems like they are holding off press-materials until later for some reason... considering how the pamphlet had a lot of never seen screenshots.
Maybe after the Saturday's stream I guess? Or after TGS... I don't know.

Nov 15, 2017
While the trailer is good overall, the scene in it in which bothe both Aerith and Tifa hold cloud's hands made me feel a bit uncomfortable. I didn't play the original game so I don't know what the context of the scene is, but hopefully it explains it. Aerith's character seems to be quite playful and fun, which isn't exactly what I expected. looking forward to the release day.

In FF7 proper Aerith was always like that and Cloud was quite dorky. In Advent Children and al the FF7 after that both of them got mischaracterized.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
While the trailer is good overall, the scene in it in which bothe both Aerith and Tifa hold cloud's hands made me feel a bit uncomfortable. I didn't play the original game so I don't know what the context of the scene is, but hopefully it explains it. Aerith's character seems to be quite playful and fun, which isn't exactly what I expected. looking forward to the release day.

Why does it make you uncomfortable?

Nov 23, 2017
With the first Aerith reveal, I was worried that they were going to make her spineless. Now, I see that they're making her spunky like in the original. So yeah, I'm good with her.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
I've watched the TGS trailer something like 30 times (haven't we all) and they nailed their personalities. You can hear it in their dialogue and see it in their expressions, even just for a second. As someone who loves all these characters dearly, that was my biggest concern and I feel now I can rest easy and just enjoy the hype. :)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Tifa and Aerith's outfits are the polar opposites of their personalities.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
This is by far my most hyped game. Not been this hyped for a game in ages. And watching the trailer multiple times takes me back to when I'd stare at screenshots of the original game in games magazines salivating over how amazing it looks. And this is just the start. I can't imagine what I'll be like seeing the whole world and the towns come to life again. Exciting times.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
It seems like they are holding off press-materials until later for some reason... considering how the pamphlet had a lot of never seen screenshots.
Maybe after the Saturday's stream I guess? Or after TGS... I don't know.
Possibly yeah, iirc it usually takes a few days. They even uploaded the Symphonic trailer, and that was really just a tease of the E3 one from a music event.
Tifa looks terrible, otherwise... it looks fine I guess.
I think she looks particularly great, although in some scenes it's true that there's something weird, almost unfinished going on.

But I mean:
fonal-fantasy-vii-remake.png

As someone who hasn't really liked a Tifa design since the original (Dissidia Tifa is alright I guess), I'm very happy wit this. Has that heartshaped face, that voluminous hair and the red eyes, so all is good.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I tink Tifa looks fine but she seems less finished than others. She is also maybe a bit too skinny.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
I don't mind that she's lean but she could use more muscle definition. She's doing pull-ups like it's no thing, show us those biceps! She's still cute as heck though.

May 17, 2018
you know... I get folks in Asia maybe only having Mr. T as the lone example of Black machismo back when Barrett was first created, but it's been over 20 years- the voice direction shouldn't be so over the top. it's really off putting. I don't like it. And it pains me to say I don't think Barrett will be in my party very much

The game looks like a dream come true otherwise.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
We've barely seen Ifrit, but I think he's my favourite rendition of the summon so far, or at least it's up there.
you know... I get folks in Asia maybe only having Mr. T as the lone example of Black machismo back when Barrett was first created, but it's been over 20 years- the voice direction shouldn't be so over the top. it's really off putting. I don't like it. And it pains me to say I don't think Barrett will be in my party very much

The game looks like a dream come true otherwise.
I don't know if you've checked the Japanese version, but he sounds way different there (they're clearly adhering to the original American translation for the American dub) if you don't mind playing it in that language.

Oct 25, 2017
So in terms of ethnicities of what the characters are based on, is this correct?

Cloud: Caucasian, European?
Barret: Black, African American
Aerith: Caucasian, European
Tifa: Asian, possibly Chinese, Caucasian mixed?
Yuffie: Japanese obviously
Reeve, Cait Sith: Scottish?
Vincent: German or Italian? Vincent sounds like an Italian name
Red XIII: Native American
Reno: Japanese?
Rude: South American
Tseng: Chinese
Hojo: Japanese
Scarlet: American, European
Heidegger: German
President Shinra and Rufus: Rich American white dudes
Sephiroth: Japanese, Caucasian mix

I know the game takes place in a fictional world, but it seems to be based heavily on our planet, especially considering that planets like Saturn, Jupiter and Venus exist in the solar system.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Please don't do this ethnicity dance. They are not from our world. They are people from the Planet.

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't do this ethnicity dance. They are not from our world. They are people from the Planet.
I know they are from fictional countries, but a lot of this planet seems based a lot of Earth. Not to mention I remember Nomura saying Rude was based on people from South America. Who knows, we might even see a live action Netflix adaptation.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Watched one of his e3 videos.

I've never seen someone so fucking anal.

He was bitching because they changed the name from guard scorpion to guard sentinel.
I turned it off there.

It was just a nitpick and he actually moved on from it not long after, and you've got to admit, there was absolutely zero purpose for the change. Guard scorpion IS an iconic name for people who played FFVII, especially for someone like him who built an youtube career centered on FFVII and clearly has a lot of passion for the game.

Do you ever not nitpick something in your life? If you did, maybe you were being pretty fucking anal too at some point in your life.

Thorpe

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much. If anything, Cloud looks more Asian. While they modeled Aerith to have a more western look, it doesn't mean she is automatically Caucasian either. She comes off as mixed for me. Likewise with Tifa, she appears mixed even though she was inspired with more of an Asian focus.

Overall though, they likely took in many features from all around the world to give us these great renditions of these classic characters most of us grew up with.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. If anything, Cloud looks more Asian. While they modeled Aerith to have a more western look, it doesn't mean she is automatically Caucasian either. She comes off as mixed for me. Likewise with Tifa, she appears mixed even though she was inspired with more of an Asian focus.

Overall though, they likely took in many features from all around the world to give us these great renditions of these classic characters most of us grew up with.
I do agree that they all look great except for Tifa, in some shots she looks a bit odd like they decided to give her a moe kind of look which doesn't rally mesh well with the more realistic aesthetic. Aerith, Barret, Rude and Cloud look fantastic though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ifrit looking more like he did in the original gives me hope they won't give Vincent his shitty DoC transformations redesigns. Hell, maybe even add one or two more. Have a Killer Clown form for him.

Nah, if Ifrit looked like he did in the original he'd have a crew cut and look like a weird mostly naked hairy dude. This is definitely a new design for Ifrit to make him look less silly.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
For reference:
373885-ifrit7_c.jpg
final-fantasy-vii-remake-invocaciones.jpg

Never loved the original VII one tbh.

So far we've got five summons (three of them being pre-order ones, all of them being new): Ifrit, Shiva, Chocobo Chick, Cactuar and Carbuncle.

I wonder how many there'll be here. I'm honestly seeing Bahamut as the strongest one in this game. They could have Neo Bahamut and Bahamut ZERO in subsequent games.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
They still kept the original animations while making Ifrit look new and badass, couldn't be better.