• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The only two tracks from FFXII I could hum from memory are the title screen theme and the one playing in Lowtown of Rabanastre, and I last played it a couple of weeks ago. The OST is very forgettable, always has been. For any other FF I've played I can vividly remember most tracks.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't find an OT for the ps4 version but I suppose it doesn't matter much. Can someone help me explain how the trial mode works? With transferring my story characters into it and bringing stolen items out of trial mode etc? My characters are basically all lvl 99 but what if I find that I want to bring in a weapon or armor that I don't currently have, can I come and go as I please to buy more potions or whatever? I was under the impression that once I've loaded trial mode once, I'm locked in.

If you just want to know which saves to load and how, see the vid below that shows replaying trial one multiple times to farm Diamond Armlet (which sell for 6000 a pop).

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
25 hours in and I think I've finally gotten past the point I got to ALL those years ago when the game first came out. I didn't like it then, but I never played the Zodiac version and fast forward is EVERYTHING. It is actually, IMO, the difference between this being a good game and a bad one.

ivb

Oct 28, 2017
Well... I find the OST of this FF pretty unoriginal and kinda forgettable. It serves its purpose complementing the different places and situations, but it's not really special. It feels pretty hollywoodesque/star wars lite to me.

EDIT: Yes, the summon theme is pretty powerful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The only two tracks from FFXII I could hum from memory are the title screen theme and the one playing in Lowtown of Rabanastre, and I last played it a couple of weeks ago. The OST is very forgettable, always has been. For any other FF I've played I can vividly remember most tracks.

Not being able to hum it doesn't mean a ost is bad, it just means Uematsu forced a leitmotif on you.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
25 hours in and I think I've finally gotten past the point I got to ALL those years ago when the game first came out. I didn't like it then, but I never played the Zodiac version and fast forward is EVERYTHING. It is actually, IMO, the difference between this being a good game and a bad one.
I can't help to believe that the fact this feature exists alone is proof that something isn't right with a game or its mechanics on a very fundamental level.

Like, you make something that has noticable flaws, then you add something on top to ease the flaws. Why not remove the flaws from the get-go ?

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I can't help to believe that the fact this feature exists alone is proof that something isn't right with a game or its mechanics on a very fundamental level.

Like, you make something that has noticable flaws, then you add something on top to ease the flaws. Why not remove the flaws from the get-go ?

Fast forward comes from the IZJS version that was released not even a year after the original version. You can't fix a game that has an incredibly big world. It's not a flaw, it's an accessibility option.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Fast forward, max gil, max lp, mods; give me all of them. I doubt I'd enjoy the game otherwise. Running through the same environment and killing the same creeps for hours to get diminutive stat improvements is not my idea of a good time. I want to enjoy the plot, characters, music, and to have fun with gameplay by trying crazy combinations. This game would have been unplayable for me without the cheats.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Fast forward comes from the IZJS version that was released not even a year after the original version. You can't fix a game that has an incredibly big world. It's not a flaw, it's an accessibility option.
I know, I mean generally speaking for new games. When we ever come to a point where more and more games have options to fast forward whatever is happening on screen, be it traveling, fighting or something else, I would be worried.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I know, I mean generally speaking for new games. When we ever come to a point where more and more games have options to fast forward whatever is happening on screen, be it traveling, fighting or something else, I would be worried.
Modern games have sprinting and vehicles and unlimited fast travel.

And there are even modern games that still have turbo (Trails of Cold Steel lets you fast forward through all cutscenes and conversations, and the PC versions have full turbo mode), because it's really hard to make the same case for JRPG grind these days that you could make in the 80s and 90s. People don't have the time or patience for it anymore.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
If you just want to know which saves to load and how, see the vid below that shows replaying trial one multiple times to farm Diamond Armlet (which sell for 6000 a pop).

Thanks, no I was just curious about how the trial mode interacts with the real game. I'm not looking for item farming right now, I just want to beat it without too much trouble. Seems the trial save is deleted once you take itsstuff back to the main game so I assume i simply need to be fully prepared and stocked up before I head into it?

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, no I was just curious about how the trial mode interacts with the real game. I'm not looking for item farming right now, I just want to beat it without too much trouble. Seems the trial save is deleted once you take itsstuff back to the main game so I assume i simply need to be fully prepared and stocked up before I head into it?

Yeah. Make sure you have ribbons for your party.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Yeah. Make sure you have ribbons for your party.
I have one, I guess it's time to get two more at least. I was hoping I wouldn't have to xD Maybe some special weapons too? The RNG manipulation on youtube ain't very appealing though :/ I beat Yiazmat before work today in about 45 minutes with a ton of micromanagement.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Without ribbons, you'll need a bunch of remedies and liberal use of Esuna. Having ribbons will reduce the pain a lot. Good luck!

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
Not being able to hum it doesn't mean a ost is bad, it just means Uematsu forced a leitmotif on you.
Or it just means we prefer "leitmotif".
Also, I prefer Uematsu more rock-inspired melodies. I'm tired of every AAA game having blaring orchestras everywhere. One Winged Angel may have orchestral elements, but the structure of the song is clearly inspired by prog-rock.

The guy still has it too. I can remember this tune (despite not having played FFXIV) much better than anything from FFXII:

Last edited:

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017

I definitely agree that this isn't something that couldn't be "fixed" within this game, even if the will to change it existed. I'm just happy fast forward exists because it's made the game much easier to like.

I will say I do think the pacing of the game, without fast forward, is a pretty big flaw. It's not the size of the world, but the design of the gameplay in the world. You backtrack by necessity a lot. Whether it's to revisit stores to check for new merchandise in the early game, doing hunts, getting clan hall rewards, returning to old environments to go further or to take a different exit to advance, etc. Without fast forward, I think it's fair to say a good chunk of time playing this game would be spent on running through the same places. And then there are the dungeons, which all seem pretty worse than FFX dungeons while being 3 times as long.

With fast forward, all of that is much more painless. Without fast forward, that might be a problem so big I'd drop the game again.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, this is like saying fast travel indicates Elder Scrolls is fundamentally broken. I mean, maybe it is.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I definitely agree that this isn't something that couldn't be "fixed" within this game, even if the will to change it existed. I'm just happy fast forward exists because it's made the game much easier to like.

I will say I do think the pacing of the game, without fast forward, is a pretty big flaw. It's not the size of the world, but the design of the gameplay in the world. You backtrack by necessity a lot. Whether it's to revisit stores to check for new merchandise in the early game, doing hunts, getting clan hall rewards, returning to old environments to go further or to take a different exit to advance, etc. Without fast forward, I think it's fair to say a good chunk of time playing this game would be spent on running through the same places. And then there are the dungeons, which all seem pretty worse than FFX dungeons while being 3 times as long.

With fast forward, all of that is much more painless. Without fast forward, that might be a problem so big I'd drop the game again.

I don't have the same issue as you as I don't use fast forward at all, while I do think some side quests are egregious in terms of backtracking, I like big areas and dungeons because I find them well made and they force me to play while taking into account my resources. Some dungeons are bad like the Leviathan but the Stilshrine of Miriam is a great dungeon for example. The FF10 example is weird to me though, it barely has any dungeon, right ? There are the trials but they have no enemy, only a puzzle to take care of. I think only the omega ruins fits the definition, or whatever that optional area was called.

Or it just means we prefer "leitmotif".
Also, I prefer Uematsu more rock-inspired melodies. I'm tired of every AAA game having blaring orchestras everywhere. One Winged Angel may have orchestral elements, but the structure of the song is clearly inspired by prog-rock.

I just don't think that a soundtrack that you can't hum is a bad one. I think the Eruyt Village is an incredible piece of music and maybe the best town theme I've heard in a JRPG but I can't hum a flute that plays for 30 seconds straight without interruption.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys. So I'm at the Raithwall Tomb but have yet to buy any quickenings for my characters. I heard they can only get three max? So which one do I get? How do I determine which quickenings are best for my characters? These are/will be my jobs:

Vaan - Shikari/Time Battlemage

Penelo - Monk/Uhlan

Balthier - Machinist/White Mage

Fran - Archer/Black Mage

Ashe - Knight/Foebreaker

Bashe - Bushi/Red Battlemage

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys. So I'm at the Raithwall Tomb but have yet to buy any quickenings for my characters. I heard they can only get three max? So which one do I get? How do I determine which quickenings are best for my characters? These are/will be my jobs:

Vaan - Shikari/Time Battlemage

Penelo - Monk/Uhlan

Balthier - Machinist/White Mage

Fran - Archer/Black Mage

Ashe - Knight/Foebreaker

Bashe - Bushi/Red Battlemage

Did you use the party planner in the OP ? Tells you everything you need to kno and more with a few clicks

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did you use the party planner in the OP ? Tells you everything you need to kno and more with a few clicks
I had not seen that. Thanks.

I messed a bit with it. It seems to show me what is available for my characters, but not the choices I should make (such as which quickenings I should buy, and which Espers I should assign to whom), unless I'm missing something?

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA

I feel the reason the fast forward system works so well in this version of FFXII is it complements the gambit system quite nicely. I think my issue with the original game is while the gambit system saved time in terms of setting up auto-attacks,heals, and buffs, the combat itself still felt a bit slow to me. Often I felt like I was just waiting around for the battle to end before I could move on. With the 2x speed I feel like my party is efficiently using the gambits to deal with enemies while I control the party leader. I typically keep the speed at 2x, but sometimes will bump it up to 4x when an area feels like it's starting to drag a bit and I want to get to the next story beat. Still haven't reach the part of the game where I stopped the first time (think it was around Stilshrine of Miriam) but I feel things have been a lot smoother this time around.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the reason the fast forward system works so well in this version of FFXII is it complements the gambit system quite nicely. I think my issue with the original game is while the gambit system saved time in terms of setting up auto-attacks,heals, and buffs, the combat itself still felt a bit slow to me. Often I felt like I was just waiting around for the battle to end before I could move on. With the 2x speed I feel like my party is efficiently using the gambits to deal with enemies while I control the party leader. I typically keep the speed at 2x, but sometimes will bump it up to 4x when an area feels like it's starting to drag a bit and I want to get to the next story beat. Still haven't reach the part of the game where I stopped the first time (think it was around Stilshrine of Miriam) but I feel things have been a lot smoother this time around.

Well, if the gambit system wasn't in place, you'd have to turn it off the second a fight started. It'd still be useful for travel.

Gambits definitely do make fast forward useful for trivial fights, though.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
I am not even at rainy Giza in terms of story progress and my Fran is already hitting for 15k+ on crits! Stealing enemies is a challenge, lol.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I had not seen that. Thanks.

I messed a bit with it. It seems to show me what is available for my characters, but not the choices I should make (such as which quickenings I should buy, and which Espers I should assign to whom), unless I'm missing something?

In your case Vaan's quickening 2 will unlock both ninja sword 2 on Shikari and HP150 on Timemage. But Shikari already gets HP150 normally, so getting that from timemage board would be pointless. So then you only need to consider what ninja swords you want unlocked.
For Penelo you don't have to make any choices with quickenings at all, monk/uhlan combo doesn't lock anything behind Q1, so you can freely just take Q2-4.
Balthier also gets the HP bonuses normally from Machnist board, so they aren't a consideration. So get Q3 and Q4 for the licenses and Q1 because it's cheaper of the remaining two.
For Fran and Ashe you don't need to make any choices.
For Basch, it probably comes down if you want Vox and Poisona for him from Q1 or not. I'd say it's probably not that important, ultimately you can always just get a bunch of items to deal with the ailments so just get Q2-4.

And then just do the same for summons. Like, Mateus on Ashe seems like a given, getting those high level healing spells from her knight board seems like a good idea.

But ultimately there's no right answer, just consider how you play the game and make the choice that seems the most useful.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In your case Vaan's quickening 2 will unlock both ninja sword 2 on Shikari and HP150 on Timemage. But Shikari already gets HP150 normally, so getting that from timemage board would be pointless. So then you only need to consider what ninja swords you want unlocked.
For Penelo you don't have to make any choices with quickenings at all, monk/uhlan combo doesn't lock anything behind Q1, so you can freely just take Q2-4.
Balthier also gets the HP bonuses normally from Machnist board, so they aren't a consideration. So get Q3 and Q4 for the licenses and Q1 because it's cheaper of the remaining two.
For Fran and Ashe you don't need to make any choices.
For Basch, it probably comes down if you want Vox and Poisona for him from Q1 or not. I'd say it's probably not that important, ultimately you can always just get a bunch of items to deal with the ailments so just get Q2-4.

And then just do the same for summons. Like, Mateus on Ashe seems like a given, getting those high level healing spells from her knight board seems like a good idea.

But ultimately there's no right answer, just consider how you play the game and make the choice that seems the most useful.
Oh, I see. Thanks!

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Kupo-popopo!

EDIT: Anyone know where to find a larger ver. of the cheevo/trophy icon for Assault Striker, I wanna use that Balthier image for an avy :P
2L94e7bc.png

From PSN profiles.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
wtf Balthier is 22 years old? lmao that's such bullshit. The dude looks at least 32.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
wtf Balthier is 22 years old? lmao that's such bullshit. The dude looks at least 32.

Like I was saying before, it's even weirder since Basch and Vossler are 36 and 38; and look pretty close to him in age visually.

Though even Reddas is weirdly young for his role at just 33; it's not quite as unbelievable as Balthier - and the shaved head and (presumably natural) white hair is mostly what makes him look older.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I really hate the narrative that the speed up feature is necessary for this game to be considered good. I played the game back on the PS2 and I would give it a 10 back then. It's a great QOL addition, but don't act like the game has no value outside of that.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really hate the narrative that the speed up feature is necessary for this game to be considered good. I played the game back on the PS2 and I would give it a 10 back then. It's a great QOL addition, but don't act like the game has no value outside of that.
honestly while speedup is a good qol for people that need em, ive found it ruins my enjoyment 9/10 times . in case of a jrpg, where you need to always balance bw spending resource to finished the fight faster or spending time to conserve bigger moves for later, making the latter irrelevant just makes the combat boring.
Unless the difficulty is stepped up to where every encounter is supposed to be a threat, its just far more effective to spam attack a 4x speed. especially in a game like 12 .

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

Disagree here, though it might be a personal issue. Back in 2006, I was young and had loads of free time. In 2018, I have much less free time.
I wouldn't have been able to play FF12 again without that option.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Disagree here, though it might be a personal issue. Back in 2006, I was young and had loads of free time. In 2018, I have much less free time.
I wouldn't have been able to play FF12 again without that option.

It doesn't have much to do with the quality of the game, isn't it :p

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Agreed.
Fun fact: My brother's been telling me to play ff12 for the past 10 years since its release! He's always praised it and just looking at the game's core mechanics I see it has some good mechanics.
As is FF12 is ranking among my top five FF games.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
OK seriously this Pharos is some classic RPG end game dungeon shit, at least the 3rd ascent was a lot easier IMO.
I also find it kinda hilarious that Hashmal must've been waiting CENTURIES just for a worthy opponent.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
OK seriously this Pharos is some classic RPG end game dungeon shit, at least the 3rd ascent was a lot easier IMO.
I also find it kinda hilarious that Hashmal must've been waiting CENTURIES just for a worthy opponent.

Pharos has been made better by adding new totally original music. I think it only had two tracks the whole way through. It's definitely a classic ass JRPG dungeon we haven't seen since FF8.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Still making slow progress. Currently finished Stillshrine of Miriam. The music seems to have gotten better around Eruyt village and onwards. Loved the scenes at Jahara.

Oct 25, 2017
I've finally finished the game (main story, hunts, espers, trials). This is actually the first time I've finished the game and I must say I've enjoyed the game more than back in 07.

My only gripe with it is that i find the gambit system a bit simple (I like the idea, but i would've liked to have a bit more customization).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I've been in a bit of a 'slump' the past month and that was part of the reason my playthrough of FF12 was so slow.
I just recently beaten it and I've overall really enjoyed the game. Balthier was def. worth the hype, my fav. FF character.

The final boss was hilarious: Vayne's first battle was fine, and I thought it was cool that he had a Reppuken as his Quickening.
...and then he turns into the Incredible Hulk/Vayne the Barbarian and I can't help but laugh at what he's become. Seriously any time he did a quickening I'd just laugh my ass off at how ridiculous he looks.

Final form took a while for me to figure out his weakness but was a decent battle overall.

Anyone know where I can read about the development of FF12 and what stuff ended up being cut out? I can see by the ending just how much didn't make it into the final game. For one thing I would've liked more Al-Cid mainly because of his accent and also because of just how swag his glasses are
latest

Speaking of which, I will never not find Doctor Cid pulling out a gatling gun to be among the most awesome and hilarious things about this game
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....713/A8B01B69AA8EF2B885B6DBAE9F20DD422DB601E2/

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
...and then he turns into the Incredible Hulk/Vayne the Barbarian and I can't help but laugh at what he's become

That was a disaster of a design, I have no idea why they chose that - the final Undying isn't great, but it fits the generic RPG mould - Vayne's first transformation just looks awful; even compared to the superficially similar mutation of Guildenstern in Vagrant Story.

I'd have preferred if he just summoned Venat as a Stand...

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I still can't get over how hilarious Vayne's 2nd form is.
Speaking of Vayne, I really liked his deceleration to the people of Rabanastre at the start of the game, and seeing him discard that at the end game comes of hypocritical.

Oct 25, 2017
So I can't find the english translation of this thing, Apotheosis apparently isn't correct. The "super powerful cinematic techniques", what are they called? And the actual question is: since apparently when you acquire one it disappears from the others checkboards, do you need to choose to which character give it? Or every character has is own?