• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I remember very little from the Tellius games, however what I vividly remember is hating Micahia and the Dawn Brigade, it was so satisfying using the Greil Mercenaries to slaughter them all.

I should go back and replay them, if I could...

Pent

Oct 27, 2017
I recently replayed the Tellius games! They're so hard to come by nowadays, I feel bad for any new fans trying to find them. They better put them on VC soon!

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Ideally they should remake the Tellius games. Better presentation is what keeps these from shining through. Battles should go faster as well.

There are more issues to be fixed, but let's start with this.

Oct 25, 2017
I think what I'm going to do is keep my eyes peeled on Amazon Warehouse Deals for PoR and once it is there see if it is below like $90 or $100 and just buy it. I was really going to hold out and wait for Switch VC bu that may never come. Radiant Dawn has been up there quite a bit lately and is there now at $70 which isn't too bad. I'd need a Wiimote to play that on my Wii U right? I never owned a Wii so I'm one of the 12 people in North America that doesn't own a Wiimote.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
PoR and RD can just come to a Virtual Console, better remake the games that were never localized or ones that could use the visual upgrade.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
PoR and RD can just come to a Virtual Console, better remake the games that were never localized or ones that could use the visual upgrade.

Yeah, I agree with this. I'd like to see them get the fanfare of a new release, but that definitely should belong to 4 and 5 (and eventually 3 again, for the US)

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I agree with this. I'd like to see them get the fanfare of a new release, but that definitely should belong to 4 and 5 (and eventually 3 again, for the US)
They could just do a re-release of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Call it Fire Emblem: The Tellius Collection and just uprez both games. Bam Profit! Or just do Virtual Console. Genealogy and Thracia should be the next remade games I hope.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
What they need to do is make an impressive engine for FE:Switch and then use that to make updated remakes of older games.

I'm a bit curious about what they're going to do for FE:Switch because it's not like IS has ever been great with console games.

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
About to finish Echoes, great game overall, hopefully the Switch games is more similar to this one than the previous 3DS titles, as I recall someone at IS said.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
TTYD is still Int Sys's best game and it was a console game.

You got me there. I completely forgot. It truly is my favorite IntSys game.

I was thinking more from the perspective of: "The last time Int Sys made a fire emblem game on consoles, it looked terrible and nearly tanked the series forever". Quality isn't really the benchmark here, just because TTYD and PoR are my favorite Int Sys games of all time and both of them are on consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I would rather pay a boatload for PoR/RD and get remakes of games we've never had than pay $60 for a remake or collection of a game already available in English.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I just started Echoes yesterday. Gotta say after coming from Awakening I am super impressed with how fluid the combat looks, animations are a joy to look at.

I am super early into the game, just recruited Silque, but Alm and co are very likeable. Lets see what else the game has in store.

Last edited:

Pent

Oct 27, 2017
Pleasantly surprised at how cute these are! Nintendo continues to go full quality with Amiibo.

RqNCtAg.jpg

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just started Echoes yesterday. Gotta say after coming from Awakening I am super impressed with how fluent the combat looks, animations are a joy to look at.

I am super early into the game, just recruited Silque, but Alm and co are very likeable. Lets see what else the game has in store.
The battle animations are super impressive in the game, very fluid and enjoyable to watch. I love that characters actually react to the opponent's attacks, and vary up their movements depending upon how they were hit, if they dodged, which angle the enemy attacked from, etc. For production values in general, Echoes is the best in the series.

Some of the maps are trash though, just warning you.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the reprint of Radiant Dawn had the booklet.
So dumb that it was $80 without it.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
My Fire Emblem Echoes soundtrack came in.

Think it might be the best in the series. Going back between This and Fates. Bummed I can play that DVD tho. Seems to be locked here. Also can't read the booklet, kinda bummed about that.

Man, I'm hoping Fire Emblem Switch's soundtrack lives up to the series in terms of music. I've been disappointed by Zelda and Mario this year. Their not bad soundtracks but they both felt weak, to me personally.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Echoes is one of the best soundtracks of the year. It's a toss up between that and P5 for me.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I'd consider it among the best in the series as well - they absolutely did justice to Gaiden's soundtrack in a way I thought I'd never hear in an official release. Or anywhere, given the obscurity of the game in relative terms - though the occasional Smash track was always appreciated.

Still, I'm not sure if I'd put it in first for the year with Nier Automata to compete with. Xenoblade 2's coming out before the end of the year as well.

Man, I'm hoping Fire Emblem Switch's soundtrack lives up to the series in terms of music. I've been disappointed by Zelda and Mario this year. Their not bad soundtracks but they both felt weak, to me personally.

There's little doubt of that - the FE team has put out very stellar work lately, and we already know the core contributors to Fates are returning for it. I found Odyssey to have a pretty good but not exceptional soundtrack and Zelda / Metroid to be more functional and disappointing (though I did enjoy BotW's more than Skyward Sword's) - in either case, Fates and Echoes have outclassed them both by several orders of magnitude.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
The series has always had great music, but the 3DS games have made some massive steps forward. Echoes' soundtrack was fantastic.

In a normal year Echoes would have been my favorite game soundtrack, but it has some really tough competition with games like P5 and Nier Automata.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Echoes' OST was definitely my favorite of the Fire Emblem OSTs, especially the more operatic songs. I hadn't considered that musical style for Fire Emblem before, but Echoes left me yearning for more in the future.

As far as what the best FE is, before Echoes, I'd have to have said FE6-7. After Echoes' release, I'm close to putting it at #1, regardless of its eschewal of gameplay norms. While its storyline at large had flaws (Celica and other women's handling, primarily, although some of that I attribute to the original game), its writing of individual scenes was utterly charming and immersive -- contrasting heavily with Awakening and Fates' exceedingly unbelievable and trope-ridden writing, which paid no heed to world-building or cohesive story.

Ultimately, I think that ties into what I'm hopeful for in FE: Switch: a return to world-building and geographical grounding. In previous Fire Emblems, even ones with an untraversable world map, you were given geographical grounding in-between battles, showing you where the party was going or had to go, the boundaries between countries, etc. The lack thereof in Awakening/Fates (especially Fates) divested you from the scenario.

I was losing hope for the writing of Fire Emblem games until Echoes, but with its superior writing, and the addition of talented voice acting, I'm once again hopeful for Fire Emblem's future in that regard.

P.S. Just hoping we don't have any more shoehorned, extra-dimensional children. Please. Also, can we continue to have characters' support conversations be related to their backstory, or current events, or something deeper than Awakening/Fates' schlock? And not get married/impregnated in the middle of a war, but at the end, through logical paired character endings? Thanks!

P.S.S. While we're at it, with no more artificial, poorly-written matchmaking, can we have 1) more older characters, with interesting histories, and 2) more pre-determined couples, ala Pent and Louise? They were really the best.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Ngl the amount of people suggesting echoes as their favorite fire emblem is kinda worrying to me. It's like gameplay doesn't matter at all.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Ngl the amount of people suggesting echoes as their favorite fire emblem is kinda worrying to me. It's like gameplay doesn't matter at all.

Well considering how popular casual mode has become, is it really much of a surprise that people are starting to value characters and story over gameplay? I'm kind of in the same boat too tbh. Echoes does very well in those departments so it makes up for some of more the lackluster elements to its gameplay. Even saying that, Echoes at least tries a lot of new things (especially for western audiences) so I can see the appeal.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017

Guilty as charged in this case. I don't think Echoes is my favorite fire emblem by any means, but there's something about an incredibly straightforward Fire Emblem that was super refreshing. I loved the maps in Conquest, but I got exhausted by their length and complexity near the end. The pair up mechanic, along with a lot of the other systems introduced in Awakeing/Fates just got to be a bit more than I wanted to deal with. Plus I actually liked the cast, the story, and the overall presentation leagues more than Fates and Awakening, so it pushed me through to the end.

I think what I want is something more in the middle - better maps, but less complexity in systems.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any indication they are remaking FE4? I have never played it but I've heard great things

The only solid indication I've heard is that the voice actors they got for the recent FE4 units in Heroes are "big names".

I know just about nothing about that personally, but I've heard it mentioned in a few places.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Guilty as charged in this case. I don't think Echoes is my favorite fire emblem by any means, but there's something about an incredibly straightforward Fire Emblem that was super refreshing. I loved the maps in Conquest, but I got exhausted by their length and complexity near the end. The pair up mechanic, along with a lot of the other systems introduced in Awakeing/Fates just got to be a bit more than I wanted to deal with. Plus I actually liked the cast, the story, and the overall presentation leagues more than Fates and Awakening, so it pushed me through to the end.

I think what I want is something more in the middle - better maps, but less complexity in systems.

Don't get me wrong, liking Echoes over the 3ds games is fine, they upped the presentation values over the even strong 3ds games (in presentation value alone), the towns were a nice addition, and the OST has some of the best songs in the series. Having it as your favorite fire emblem though, has me a bit worried, as the maps were that BAAAD in Echoes.

The only solid indication I've heard is that the voice actors they got for the recent FE4 units in Heroes are "big names".

I know just about nothing about that personally, but I've heard it mentioned in a few places.

The voice actors they got were big, but they are also on the older side, like the average age is 50-55. They are also voiced by actors that would have been big in the time period. For example, Deirdre was voiced by the same person that did Belldandy in Ah My Goddess.

Cryxok

Oct 27, 2017
México

I guess I'm the complete opposite then. I never had as much fun with a Fire Emblem game as I did with Conquest due to gameplay alone. Playing Echoes now and while I can appreciate the aesthetic and writing, it feels as if I have to force myself to play the game in order to advance the story. Unless the story really picks up soon I don't think Echoes gameplay will hold me all the way through.

Conquest is probably my favorite game in the series simply because of how fun it was to play to me (tho again, I didn't find the story and characters as offensive as many it seems, and I actually like it's visual style) and is my most played game of the year as well (excluding Heroes since I don't know how much I've played that thing).

With that said, I'd love if they implemented/refined some of the systems from Gaiden/Echoes in FE: Switch. Some exploration, examining villages and ports for items, talking to random people in the tavern, Combat Arts and the way Magic works are satisfying to me, and would like to see them again, albeit with a few adjustments.

I don't think removing the Support system from Awakening/Fates would be a wise move bussiness-wise. A compromise could me made tho. What if instead of going from C -> S, characters go from F -> S but some characters have already a higher rank by default? Using Oboro as an example, she hates Nohrians with a passion, so her Support with Silas and Jakob would need more time to be believable; those supports could start at rank F. You don't even need more conversations, a simple message of "Oboro is starting to warm up to Silas/Jakob's presence" in going from F to C would be enough imo. On the other hand, in Conquest it is implied she has a crush on Takumi tho, and Takumi trusts her because she is her retainer, so that support could start at B or even A rank.
EDIT: Oh! and please remove Avatar-only supports

Last edited:

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, liking Echoes over the 3ds games is fine, they upped the presentation values over the even strong 3ds games (in presentation value alone), the towns were a nice addition, and the OST has some of the best songs in the series. Having it as your favorite fire emblem though, has me a bit worried, as the maps were that BAAAD in Echoes.

The maps were bad, this is undeniable. But it hit at a time where I wanted a comfort food style game, and Echoes is literally that. It's an easy game to just flip on and churn through a map. The game wasn't devoid of challenge, though. It's also worth noting that I played Echoes over a period of like, four months. I took it ultra slow and I think that helped mitigate the annoyance of those maps.

That said, I'll always be fond of Radiant Dawn with it's stupid ass maps and crazy nonsense, like infinitely spawning laguz in a swamp or a map full of fucking dragons. It's just that Conquest had a feature creep that never sat well with me. I don't like having to choose between pair up and non pair up (Fates did a better job with this choice than awakening) and I felt like all the buff/debuff powers of weapons got a bit stressful to juggle along with the outrageously long maps. I'm no fire emblem expert - I've always preferred Advance Wars for gameplay.

Conquest is the first Fire Emblem I didn't beat. I just got tired of it. I think the fact that there were potentially two more games to "complete" the story just seemed like too much.

(PS I'm fully aware that a game like FE4 would wreck me)

Last edited:

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
The voice actors they got were big, but they are also on the older side, like the average age is 50-55. They are also voiced by actors that would have been big in the time period. For example, Deirdre was voiced by the same person that did Belldandy in Ah My Goddess.
Hm...
I feel like I've heard something like that before
Google search

Hahahahahahaha, Deirdre shares I-no's VA from Guilty Gear?!
This is great, I'm picturing Deirdre as a guitar wielding witch now, hahaha. We should have got that for the Halloween banner in FEH.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echoes:
  • Best presentation in the series
  • Worst maps in the series: tied with Gaiden (but actually worse because there's no infinite range rescue/warp), worse than Awakening
  • About average plot
  • Below-average characters
Plot is nothing special, but not anything terrible, either.
The characters, on the other hand, are pretty bad sometimes. There are some great characters, like the three stooges. But some of the characters are pretty terrible. Celica's plot was changed a little: the masked man was introduced in Echoes, and serves to save Celica from her own (Echoes-only) stupidity until he joins your party. Berkut/Rinea were okay characters for the most part, but
Berkut turning Rinea into a witch, then Rinea forgiving Berkut for that is one of the most unearned moments in the series. It would have been fine if Berkut realized the errors of his ways during his dying breaths, but having Rinea's ghost forgive him for murdering her is asinine.
IS went out of their way to include shit like that, and didn't bother to make it so you don't have to rescue every female character (besides Faye and Mae) to recruit them.

There's not a single 3DS Fire Emblem game that has decent gameplay, plot, and characters. They all fucked up at least one of those areas.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard FE4 has some really messed up plotlines. Personally I would love if they kept everything as it is for a potential remake, but it sounds unlikely, considering they removed the patting mini game, which I considered to be totally harmless, then again I am not offended easily, specially by videogames.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
I share Lunar15's sentiments on Echoes. Truth be told, I actually didn't mind the maps that much except when they were being purposefully insufferable with cantors, witches, and *shudders* cantors in poison swamps with witches (and dread fighters and an army of archers for good measure). But other than that and some annoying skirmishes in the world map, I find Fire Emblem's combat to be satisfying enough by itself that the simple act of taking down an enemy squad in an open map, no matter how barren said map is, is still fun. Couple that with a bigger emotional investment in my journey due to better dialogue, characterization and narrative, prettier presentation, villages, simple but kinda fun dungeon crawling and a killer soundtrack and I actually thought Echoes was one of the stronger 3DS entries, only really ranking behind Conquest (though I do have my doubts over whether or not I rank it above Awakening, I need to replay Awakening to settle that). It's both a return to simpler times and a refreshing change of pace considering how many unique features it has compared to every other game in the franchise. I actually want to see some of its ideas iterated and expanded on future entries. It's a flawed game, but at the same time its flaws are very easy to correct and are mostly a result of being too faithful to a 25 year old game.

(PS I'm fully aware that a game like FE4 would wreck me)
It depends on what you mean by that. If it's just a high intolerance to large maps then yeah, it would. But if you're referring to your general stress because of Conquest's high difficulty and an abundance of systems to juggle at the same time, then not really. FE4 isn't hard nor stressful since you can save at the start of each turn and for the most part you just play it like a normal FE game. Unless you really care about shipping and spending turns pairing everyone together. I didn't so I just ended up with whatever the game would give me.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the characters in Echoes a lot. They're not super deep, but they also didn't seem like caricatures. They had just enough characterization that I could imagine who they were as people and let it play out from there, rather than being a real specific character gimmick that got too wacky. The voice acting really helped for this.

As for Celica's stupidity, while it is pretty annoying from a plot standpoint, the dialogue and characterization actually dulled that impact a bit. I think she's a likable character and her devotion makes sense. It's more of just a bad plot point than one that's repeatedly brought up as you yell and scream at the characters repeatedly throughout the game for being stupid and annoying.

Conquest spoilers:

I was literally screaming at Corrin throughout all of Conquest for being so outrageously stupid. Garon and Azura were awful characters that were full of contrivances that made the game a headache. Azura was a non-character who just sat there, gating off important plot points while Garon was the most obviously evil person that Corrin has seemingly no issues with. Splitting that game into two plotlines was wretched and it really wreaked havoc on that game having any sort of enjoyable plot.

If I had to describe echoes in one word, it's that it was "breezy". Game just felt like a joy to play and I could spend either a few minutes or hours. Nothing about the game was all that annoying aside from Cantors near the end. I think a lot of it is just juxtapositioning it against Conquest, which I think is a pretty abysmal game on all fronts.

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Echoes' map design certainly could have been iterated on and improved, but its combat had plenty of systems that I'm hoping we'll see return in FE: Switch.

For instance, its more RPG-ish learning of magic by level/character fit very well in a Fire Emblem, IMO, and serves to further differentiate characters and theoretically improve replayability. The strategies you could perform, even early on, with Warp/Rescue made Echoes' maps more fun than they had any right to be.

Weapon Arts were similarly interesting, although hold more room for improvement. It might be better to move more toward a Final Fantasy 9 type system, where the weapons' abilities are permanently learned and chosen between, with the weapons themselves still having unique stats (damage, crit%, hit%).

Oh, and Echoes' take on archers is the definitively superior one. Finally they were given a unique niche that wasn't rendered inferior by magic users. Desperately hoping they keep the longer range on bows going forward. It makes perfect sense, adds tactical depth, and solves archers' questionable viability in most FE games.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and Echoes' take on archers is the definitively superior one. Finally they were given a unique niche that wasn't rendered inferior by magic users. Desperately hoping they keep the longer range on bows going forward. It makes perfect sense, adds tactical depth, and solves archers' questionable viability in most FE games.
I wouldn't mind seeing archers have the longer range again, but they need to be unable to attack at one space away too. They needed that drawback in Echoes, without it getting through them was more tedious than it needed to be.

Cryxok

Oct 27, 2017
México
Echoes' map design certainly could have been iterated on and improved, but its combat had plenty of systems that I'm hoping we'll see return in FE: Switch.

For instance, its more RPG-ish learning of magic by level/character fit very well in a Fire Emblem, IMO, and serves to further differentiate characters and theoretically improve replayability. The strategies you could perform, even early on, with Warp/Rescue made Echoes' maps more fun than they had any right to be.

Weapon Arts were similarly interesting, although hold more room for improvement. It might be better to move more toward a Final Fantasy 9 type system, where the weapons' abilities are permanently learned and chosen between, with the weapons themselves still having unique stats (damage, crit%, hit%).

Oh, and Echoes' take on archers is the definitively superior one. Finally they were given a unique niche that wasn't rendered inferior by magic users. Desperately hoping they keep the longer range on bows going forward. It makes perfect sense, and solves archers' questionable viability in most FE games.
Agree on both Magic and Weapons Arts. On top of being better froma a gameplay perspective IMO, it also just makes sense. Why would you know how to make a certain move with a given Sword but not any other? Or why would you forget how to cast a given spell if you don't have the book. At one point you can even memorize the incantations in said books like Nino did.

Not entirely sure on Archers tho. I actually prefer the way they work in previous games, and Fates balanced them quite well. They could be differenciated from other Ranged unites via combat arts. They could start at range 2-only and then get expanded via combat arts learned from stuff like the longbow and the shortbow.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I feel they need to add a class like a Crossbowmen. They can attack at 1-2 range and are more effective at close range than archers. Plus they can be a bit more tanky than Archers are currently. I guess Ninja's in Fates was kind of like that but introduce Crossbowmen instead of Ninja's if they do not fit the game setting.

edit: Additionally they can have different bolts equipped to incur status ailments such as stun, poison, berserk, armor break etc. With each having a percent chance of incurring that status ailment.

Cryxok

Oct 27, 2017
México
I feel they need to add a class like a Crossbowmen. They can attack at 1-2 range and are more effective at close range than archers. Plus they can be a bit more tanky than Archers are currently. I guess Ninja's in Fates was kind of like that but introduce Crossbowmen instead of Ninja's if they do not fit the game setting.

edit: Additionally they can have different bolts equipped to incur status ailments such as stun, poison, berserk, armor break etc. With each having a percent chance of incurring that status ailment.

That seems like something more akin to what poisoned Daggers would do. There is no need to introduce Ninjas in games where they don't fit, as daggers can be used by Thiefs and Assassins.
A crossbow could be a good idea but I'd rather see it as a type of Bow (like how Hammers are a type of Axe according to FE) than it's own separate weapon type. If Archers can use Ballistae, they surely can use Crossbows.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
My dream is a Fire Emblem PoR + RD collection on Switch.

That would be really nice. I've never been able to play Radiant Dawn, because I never owned a Wii.

I enjoyed PoR when it came out, but I tried replaying it last year, and the combat/animations are so slow, I eventually quit because of the tedium. It (they?) would benefit greatly from a minor remastering, adding options to curb that slowness.

The next remake we'll see (probably using the Echoes moniker) is likely FE6, if I had to guess, with FE4 being the next most likely. Basically, chronological order vs cashing in on the Roy recognition.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't going to do six without doing seven right afterwards. They're too intrinsically linked.