• The ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2018 results are now live! Congratulations to all the winners!
  • Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

Fired IGN Nintendo editor responds to plagiarism accusation (Update: More examples discovered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Why....

Why would you call out Kotaku to find more articles for plagiarism smh. Dude screwed himself 2x over.

Just why if you've literally plagiarized everything you've ever done?

Oct 25, 2017
Why....

Why would you call out Kotaku to find more articles for plagiarism smh. Dude screwed himself 2x over.

Just why if you've literally plagiarized everything you've ever done?

Well he clearly doesn't know a damn thing about the most basic concepts of journalism, so maybe he just didn't realize actual research is even possible.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They discussed this a bit on last week's Beast Cast, and I think Dan put it best; there are so many people whos life dream it is to work full time in "video games", and it being such a small, select field, that half assing it by stealing other people's shit is fucking inexcusable.

Rave_norris

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Deleting everything is the right thing to do. I actually thought they would do that earlier. Will they do new reviews for every game? Filip even reviewed Labo.

Oct 27, 2017
Virginia

its all going down
Just wow. Everything he has done is suspect, so removing everything he submitted on the site as if he never worked there. Will any NVC episodes be nixed as well?

The team over at IGN must be having a hell of a time trying to clean up this shit show. Best of luck to them.

I wonder if all the content will be re-written with a new editor?

Oct 27, 2017
At first, you could've made a case for a little bit of carefulness on his part by lifting straight from an unknown Youtube channel but the dude was burying his bodies in his own workplace and equally well known outlets like Polygon. It's hilarious how misguided and brazen the examples from the last couple of pages have been. Like, he really didn't think for a moment that there'd be overlap between people reading Polygon's written content and IGN's written content?

My only theory is that he presumed far too much that the people who visit these sites don't actually read the words in reviews and, written content in general, and that he can pass his plagiarism off without detection. Oh my.

All this time I was pulling for a guy who I thought was nervous hosting NVC, because he had big shoes to fill. Instead, he sounded nervous because he never had any unique ideas. I actually noticed during NVC that he would parrot back whatever his co-panelists said when describing a game.

In fact, the only original opinion he seemed to have was when he started the Skip of the Week segment. This part of NVC always bothered me, because Filip would be gung-ho about punching down on a shitty game that he despised playing. Instead of allocating that time for question block (which they never got to) or discussing a game he liked more, he would spend 5-10 minutes telling the audience to "definitely, definitely skip this one."
Great take. I feel the same way.

Last edited:

CoL

Oct 25, 2017
So where are all those guys from a couple of days ago saying they "didn't see the plagiarism" "Could be but there's no way to know" and to "leave the guy alone he lost his job"

Do they see it yet??

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
All this time I was pulling for a guy who I thought was nervous hosting NVC, because he had big shoes to fill. Instead, he sounded nervous because he never had any unique ideas. I actually noticed during NVC that he would parrot back whatever his co-panelists said when describing a game.

In fact, the only original opinion he seemed to have was when he started the Skip of the Week segment. This part of NVC always bothered me, because Filip would be gung-ho about punching down on a shitty game that he despised playing. Instead of allocating that time for question block (which they never got to) or discussing a game he liked more, he would spend 5-10 minutes telling the audience to "definitely, definitely skip this one."

What if all this time he never really liked videogames that much?
The reviews he did not copy, if you compare to others sites, have way less insight about the games, info about the production and other stuff

lmx

Alt-Account
Aug 10, 2018
Wow, so it turns out as expected. He has plagiarized other's works for years. I feel bad for IGN.

Seems like he has Cryptomnesia indeed.

Or maybe not. He's just a lazy editor.
Directly reading a forum post in a video delaring it as your own "research" without crediting the source is pure laziness, not false inspiration.

Oct 25, 2017
The right thing to do would be for Filip to come clean at the very least to IGN so they can start cleaning up his mess. But I doubt he has the integrity to do that, so they should probably just nuke everything he ever produced/wrote for the site just to be safe and give him the Benoit treatment.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Directly reading a forum post in a video delaring it as your own "research" without crediting the source is pure laziness, not false inspiration.
Come on. It's just straight plagiarism.
These aren't ideas he's copying and misattributing them to himself.

He's copying sentence structure and content and changing words. It's blatantly obvious.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. How would he remember line by line the HD rumble part? Even the structures of the other reviews would require a amazing memory to even remember the key words used.
Good point. You're right, I forgot that example.

Unless its the old photographic memory plus cryptomnesia. Happens to the best of us. /s

Filip's review of Bayonetta 2 on IGN is still up for me it seems. Which is really weird. I thought it got taken down?
It's actually his preview article that copied someone else's review article. The preview was removed but the review is still up.

Oct 28, 2017
FYI it's looking more and more likely that most of Fhis work published on IGN has editorial copy in it sufficiently derivative of previously-published work that it is a significant ethical breach and will need to be removed.

We are moving on it as fast as we can as a Senior Editorial staff.

There are complications. Including challenges around removing review scores and the way out site CMS works (which is why Dead Cells unfortunately displayed a "0.0 Disaster" score for a time).

A final decision hasn't been made but I think the most likely outcome is all of his work will be removed, and we'll decide from there what we need to do in terms of replacing the back-catalogue of critical content we owe game makers.

Oct 25, 2017
FYI it's looking more and more likely that most of Fhis work published on IGN has editorial copy in it sufficiently derivative of previously-published work that it is a significant ethical breach and will need to be removed.

There are complications. Including challenges around removing review scores and the way out site CMS works (which is why Dead Cells unfortunately displayed a "0.0 Disaster" score for a time).

A final decision hasn't been made but I think the most likely outcome is all of his work will be removed, and we'll decide from there what we need to do in terms of replacing the back-catalogue of critical content we owe game makers.
Hey, it's a reasonable thing to do. Good luck with that, and too bad about all the extra work that you have to do to scrub your site.

Oct 25, 2017

What a completely shitty situation. Man, I can't even imagine the headache this would all be.

Status
Not open for further replies.