• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Camera cutouts look awful (would look less terrible if centered), but I'll just have to deal with a hole punch phone if it still has a headphone jack. Not ready to give that up anytime soon.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand some of you paying $200 extra for a Samsung phone just because of the 3.5mm jack. You can buy so many pairs of bluetooth earphones with 200.
Lmao so many things wrong with this post
1- "200$ extra" compared to what?
2- What do you base your assumption that the jack is the *only* reason for people to purchase a Samsung phone on?
3- You can't buy the convenience of always having a port that people actually use available when needed.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
when i first got my s9+ i instatly started to use Samsung pay .. then my it friend who works in IT security defense for some businesses told me it can be easily hacked :( idk if its still true today but it freaked me out and i stopped using it lol
i loved that feature but im just paranoid. . i probably reach back out to him and ask if its more secure now lol

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Lmao so many things wrong with this post
1- "200$ extra" compared to what?
2- What do you base your assumption that the jack is the *only* reason for people to purchase a Samsung phone on?
3- You can't buy the convenience of always having a port that people actually use available when needed.

1, compare to every other android phone that's not pixel?
2, based on some of the posts I see on this thread. There are a lot I don't even have to quote
3, well I am just saying its not worth the extra premuim Samsung S phone charges. Would I deny a phone with 3.5mm jack? No I won't

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
2, based on some of the posts I see on this thread. There are a lot I don't even have to quote
3, well I am just saying its not worth the extra premuim Samsung S phone charges. Would I deny a phone with 3.5mm jack? No I won't

Lot's of android phones are cheaper and still have a headphone jack anyway. Lack of headphone jack is a straight up deal breaker for me (along with SD card support).

People are interested because this phone has everything people could want in a premium phone.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
People complain about iterative designs and smartphone prices until new phones leak lol. If the top tier one is really $1800 that's wild. Lowest probably won't be that cheap considering they also have the a8s and other models.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Man that looks incredible but is probably going to be $1000+ :(

Gonna hold out hope for a $750 price point because that's kind of the top of my budget and Samsung hasn't really passed that yet with their standard Galaxy phones.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
????
If you want to purchase an android phone only because of the headphone jack you can buy a Moto G6 Plus for like...250$? Or a Moto G6 for less than that or a Xiaomi Mi A1 for like 120$...

People buy Samsung because they want a phone that's flaghship level AND has a headphone jack. Wanting a high end phone is already a first world problem to begin with, so I don't understand how you find weird that people also want that phone to have basic audio functionality.

Like come on, you do perfectly understand why people buy Samsung phones AND why people want headphone jacks. You're just pretending you don't.

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
????
If you want to purchase an android phone only because of the headphone jack you can buy a Moto G6 Plus for like...250$? Or a Moto G6 for less than that or a Xiaomi Mi A1 for like 120$...

People buy Samsung because they want a phone that's flaghship level AND has a headphone jack. Wanting a high end phone is already a first world problem to begin with, so I don't understand how you find weird that people also want that phone to have basic audio functionality.

Like come on, you do perfectly understand why people buy Samsung phones AND why people want headphone jacks. You're just pretending you don't.

I just just laughing at posters who put 3.5mm jack on a pedestal, and conveniently forget other features Samsung left behind, such as removable battery.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
I'm buying the fuck out of this phone. My S7 is starting to run slower along with that horrible pink line issue.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
i wonder how many people there are that bought extra batteries vs how many people probably dropped their phone in something wet by accident.
we no longer need removable batteries from where i see technology is at today. i dont see any base on that argument tbh.

plus, our portable chargers are more convenient and can charge other items than just serve a purpose for one phone. the more i think about your comment the more i think you just want to troll. cool

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
I just just laughing at posters who put 3.5mm jack on a pedestal, and conveniently forget other features Samsung left behind, such as removable battery.
So there's a rule that you can only express your desire for a headphone jack if you also express your desire for removable batteries in the same post?

This might shock you, but it's possible for people to find the jack more important than removable batteries, even if they appreciate both.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but hasn't Samsung outright stated that she s10 would have the aux jack but that it was the last phone of theirs to have it?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Man I'm missing the boat on this excitement over headphone jacks.

Once I've gone to wireless I'll never go back.

I never get bothered by my X notch and pinhole looks to be whatever.

I honestly don't even know what a phone would have to do to make me upgrade from this used X I picked up.

Oct 25, 2017

I honestly don't even know what a phone would have to do to make me upgrade from this used X I picked up.

Once you've lost 2-3 pairs of headphones you start to appreciate cheaper options.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As nice as these phones are, my s8 plus is so nice as of right now I'll keep holding onto it until the s10 plus goes through a price drop. I ain't paying that initial Samsung tax.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017

I have Bluetooth earphones for the gym and portability, full sized corded headphones when I want to listen to immerse myself in music.

Options are always good. Removing the jack is just taking options away, not adding anything new in its place.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Currently using an S8+ and loving it, this looks amazing though. Will upgrade once my company store has it in stock.

Aphexian

Oct 26, 2017

That's cool. I like not having my music drop out because I covered the BT antenna, also not having another thing to keep charged or not be able to use because it's battery went dead.

"Ah crap, I only was able to listen to 15 mins of music before a constant 'Battery Low' warning started going off because I forgot to charge/pack a charger for my headphones/earbuds.,"

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
That's cool. I like not having my music drop out because I covered the BT antenna, also not having another thing to keep charged or not be able to use because it's battery went dead.

"Ah crap, I only was able to listen to 15 mins of music before a constant 'Battery Low' warning started going off because I forgot to charge/pack a charger for my headphones/earbuds.,"

I'm going to be honest I use my AirPods as much as I can every day and never have any charge issues. Maybe the charge case is that good idk.

I just set myself up a nice charging setup and plug my shit in at the end of the day. Charging doesn't bother me and that new air pad thing looks to solve some of those charging issues.

Honestly it's the freedom from the wires. Get up and walk around and ur still connected. No wires is huge.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's 2019 and people still complain about Samsung bloat?

My Galaxy S7 still runs great and I'm sure OneUI will bring more big improvements. Plus Samsung software has so many more useful additional features compared to the rather basic but weirdly admired stock Android.
Every time Google announces a new Android update these days it's just filled with features Samsung already has. So later updates aren't really an issue. What's more of an issue is you only get support for two major updates on a phone.

Yeah, I can use Chrome and Google's default apps no problem. It just that they take up useful space, and for some apps they default to the Samsung browser.

What are those apps? I'm having Chrome as default and I never encountered this.

Oct 27, 2017
Sweet, I'll probably get one of these from my company next year. The in display fingerprint sensor is a game changer. Are there any phones with that already?

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Really happy with my Beoplay E8 wireless earbuds. It is indeed much better than wired (as well as it should for €280 of course), ain't never going back, even if you look a bit of a ninny with big plugs in your ears. But occasionally the batteries die, and having a backup option is always nice.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I don't get the people who keep pushing wireless audio. I'm sure most, if not all, of us pushing for the jack to remain also have wireless sets. I love leaving my S9+ on my desk while I do chores etc and not be tethered. Then when I want to listen to music or watch a movie on the bus/plane/in bed, I go plug in my Etymotics ER4's and just completely seal out the world and get immersed. Having options is always good. Would having a headphone jack in your iPhone/Pixel 3 prevent you from using your airpods/wireless set?

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
when i first got my s9+ i instatly started to use Samsung pay .. then my it friend who works in IT security defense for some businesses told me it can be easily hacked :( idk if its still true today but it freaked me out and i stopped using it lol
i loved that feature but im just paranoid. . i probably reach back out to him and ask if its more secure now lol

I'm just your average Joe, not an IT guy. But as far as I know it's safe: anything can be technically hacked. It encrypts the data, plus needs verification which is either your fingerprint or a PIN..

ViperVisor

Oct 29, 2017
I'm waiting on the Note. S8+ size has me used to a large phone and I want the S Pen because it truly alters the smartphone experience beyond tech specs that about a dozen flagship phones will all have in 2019.

And the camera peep holes will look minimal compared to the rumored massive 6.75" screen.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder for those complaining about prices

Sz9j1gm.png

Still a great looking phone, no stupid notch/cutout and internals that are fast enough for 99.9% of people for the next few years.

Overspending on your budget just to run benchmark tools isn't really a sensible thing to do.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Doesnt samsung now own a couple of headphone makers? So maybe they have a vested interest to keep the headphone jack alive for as long as possible. As for the camera hole just like the notch these feel more like stop-gap solutions that app developers have to take in account only for them to be dropped in a generation or two.

Last edited:

CloverNotes

Oct 25, 2017
Nice the headphone jack is still there. Might finally change from my S6 edge. Also is the Samsung themes feature still around with their new phones?

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the pinhole, but everything else looks great though. I'll stick with my S9+; aside from Bixby, I haven't had any issues.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
How often do these newer phones get custom ROMs? Damn that's a sexy phone but I'll always want stock android.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be honest I use my AirPods as much as I can every day and never have any charge issues. Maybe the charge case is that good idk.

I just set myself up a nice charging setup and plug my shit in at the end of the day. Charging doesn't bother me and that new air pad thing looks to solve some of those charging issues.

Honestly it's the freedom from the wires. Get up and walk around and ur still connected. No wires is huge.

That's totally cool for you! You know what, I absolutely love my bluetooth headphones as well. I use them pretty often.

But you know what else I have to work with when I forget to bring them? My wired headphones, which I have a cheap pair everywhere I frequent. Got them at my work desk, in my bedroom, in the living room, in my bag, and even in my car.

Having a headphone jack does not mean you can't use wireless headphones, it means you CAN USE BOTH. That's what we're celebrating, the fact that the manufacturer gives you the option to use your device the way you would prefer. If you want to go all wireless on the new Samsung phone, guess what, you CAN! But if you would prefer to go the wired route (which is still superior in some regards, especially with those that put an emphasis on audio fidelity), then you have that option too.

Status
Not open for further replies.