• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• LIVE SKIT HERE

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • There's Some Gift Giving, Hades Shit, Everyone's Horny

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • The Essence Of Pickle Is Afoot

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Here She Comes O'brian

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Le Freakzilleau

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You Guessed It, I'm The Captain

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Get Forked

Votes: 48 60.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
imo, on the Neon White stuff, I don't disagree with Jess but I think it's up to the developer to clear the air a bit and demonstrate if it's ignorance or malice. I'm inclined to lean towards the former here, at least cause I was also familiar with this term but not with its roots being ableist.

I'm inclined to give benefit of the doubt here, reason being I already posted in the OT for the game. FWIW, I do have direct experience with autism

Now if the developer response is to equivocate out of it and find a reason to keep the term in when it clearly generates a hurt response by the community, then blowback is completely justified imo
Definitely. If I was the developer I would have something concrete by now just to clarify and make my position about it known instead of letting the flames burn sort to speak.

Boya

Jan 1, 2018
I'm probably speaking out of line but as a person with autism
Calling a onamtopea a slur just cause it's the go to for the ableist, lowt effort and fankly emberasing cartons about things the dregs of the internet has convinced themselves is hilarious to punch down on,
is in my opinion giving way more credit, attention and brainspace to said dregs than they desserve.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Definitely. If I was the developer I would have something concrete by now just to clarify and make my position about it known instead of letting the flames burn sort to speak.

Yeah I think it's an easy thing for them to correct, and I don't think people are in the wrong to be angry about it but I don't think these guys seem like bad faith actors. Like I'm hyper vigilante about prejudice against neurodivergent people, I think it's one of those battles we need to have with people still unfortunately. Right now we (my family) are trying to find programs for employment for my brother, there's some out there but employment outlets for some neurodivergent folk are still imo playing catchup to where they really need to be at.

But I honestly never even knew this term was in that ballpark until very recently. Another user posted a video in here of a frog, that's where I first saw this term, I just thought it was some frog related nonsense and I think a lot of people still think that. Anyway I just wanted to share my perspective on this. There's a lot that needs to be done to improve understanding of ASD but unless the developer response is bad or untimely I'm kinda putting this one down to ignorance of meme origins than cruelty.

But yes they should say or do something about it, no argument there

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018
I was actively trying not to wade into this but I don't even know what we're discussing here tbh. Seems to be just a bunch of people talking past each other who broadly agree that it's bad and out of place in the game who are getting mad at someone for trying to put it in context with the rest of the title and how internet memes tend to escape their original community to the extent people reuse it without knowing the original meaning.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This is kinda reaching "blackface in the Netherlands isn't racist because it's a tradition!" levels of apologia.
You didn't know it was a slur, okay. Jess clearly knew it and she still said it out loud. Now deflecting to "seems like you might just have a problem with this person" is incredibly weak.

Ryan said the F word out loud and immediately apologized and wrote a genuine apology the next day. That was in 2013 or so. That was a worse fuck up because it was unprompted but nobody ever held it against him because he reacted the way he did. Jess didn't. End of story.

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't stand when someone reflexively assumes the worst possible angle on someone's argument. We have way too much of that on here. She obviously cares about it a lot, has experience with autism and chan culture and went back to see it in context of the game.
To then imply she's doing it out of whatever malicious intent you came up with is just not ok.

Ryan said the F word out loud and immediately apologized and wrote a genuine apology the next day. That was in 2013 or so. That was a worse fuck up because it was unprompted but nobody ever held it against him because he reacted the way he did. Jess didn't. End of story.
Comparing these two events is also ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't stand when someone reflexively assumes the worst possible angle on someone's argument. We have way too much of that on here. She obviously cares about it a lot, has experience with autism and chan culture and went back to see it in context of the game.
To then imply she's doing it out of whatever malicious intent you came up with is just not ok.
Can you show me where I said anything about "malicious intent"?

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I wish the Morning Games Mess was a podcast released super early in the morning that covers all the prior days news. Should be 20-30 minutes.

Willing this into manifestation.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
I wish the Morning Games Mess was a podcast released super early in the morning that covers all the prior days news. Should be 20-30 minutes.

Willing this into manifestation.
I'm of two minds when it comes to this. On the one hand, to have something condensed about the news of the prior day feels lean and good but on the other hand I think I enjoy something a bit more long form with some discussion latched onto it just because I feel there are news that deserves more discussion.

Sep 12, 2018
A neurodivergent person quoting an ableist slur for just for the sake of clarity of A) It being in the game and B) It not confused with the other that begins with R is absolutely not the same as yelling out a homophobic slur in anger.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you.

I'll catch them in 8K for you

FWOTwZqX0AIom42
zack-snyder-snyder-man.gif

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
WRT Ryan's homophobic outburst. The 'f' slur is so prevalent as a slur to completely eclipse what the word originally meant. It was a very ugly moment for Ryan but to his credit he immediately took it back and owned the fuckup for what it was and his disappointment at having the word in his vocabulary was evident as well.

This 'frog r' term is not as commonly understood as a slur, and so it needs to be explained to people that it is and that it is not the same term as the other 'r' word. If the other 'r' word was used here, that would completely change this conversation cause that word is on the same level as the slur Ryan used, which completely changes the context here. There's a history of hate behind that former term, but this 'frog r' word slur is just not as well known. Basically agree with the lara croft hot fuzz enjoying guy on this one

Tho someone should timestamp this UPF video for sake of clarity tbh, inflection of tone matters as well

TIL what most people here think of people with disabilities. Kinda fucked.

I love my brother, so you better not be putting this one my way. I hope you aren't and this is a misinterpretation on my part

Sep 12, 2018
I really hope I'm not being taken up as apologizing for the term because I have autistic people close to me and it does absolutely disgust me and I was well aware of its context just seeing right wing twitter trolls use it years ago.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
WRT Ryan's homophobic outburst. The 'f' slur is so prevalent as a slur to completely eclipse what the word originally meant. It was a very ugly moment for Ryan but to his credit he immediately took it back and owned the fuckup for what it was and his disappointment at having the word in his vocabulary was evident as well.

This 'frog r' term is not as commonly understood as a slur, and so it needs to be explained to people that it is and that it is not the same term as the other 'r' word. If the other 'r' word was used here, that would completely change this conversation cause that word is on the same level as the slur Ryan used, which completely changes the context here. There's a history of hate behind that former term, but this 'frog r' word slur is just not as well known. Basically agree with the lara croft hot fuzz enjoying guy on this one

Tho someone should timestamp this UPF video for sake of clarity tbh, inflection of tone matters as well

I love my brother, so you better not be putting this one my way. I hope you aren't and this is a misinterpretation on my part
Everyone is always up in arms when it comes to racism or homophobia, but ableism is still difficult for many to understand it seems. I mean I see and feel it in real life every day.
Saying it doesn't compare to the Ryan incident at all is exactly that.

Oct 25, 2017
Because Ryan screamed a well known slur for gay people during a fit of rage. Something that would get you rightfully fired in many places today. Neither are the two expressions on the same level, nor did Jess use it in such a way, quite the contrary.
Now we get to the heart of the issue which is that you, and apparently a lot of other people have arbitrarily decided that this slur is somehow a "lesser" slur, and thus more okay to say.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Everyone is always up in arms when it comes to racism or homophobia, but ableism is still difficult for many to understand it seems. I mean I see and feel it in real life every day.
Saying it doesn't compare to the Ryan incident at all is exactly that.
Ableism is foremost in my mind on a day to day basis in many of its forms. It's been something I've aware of before I even knew what homophobia was, basically my whole life. In one sense, in terms of physical ableism as someone who's gone through two spinal surgeries and has struggled to get employer recognition of the many things needed to be productive (my current employer is excellent for this, my former was not)

Secondly, in terms of neurodivergent prejudice because of my direct experience with my brother, the challenges he faces and the struggle for him personally and the people around him to find a role for him in this world and the worries that brings on a daily basis, for him as well because he is absolutely aware of these challenges himself in his own ways

I dunno, I might have to bow out of this one tbh and inflict a fake thread ban on myself or something cause I already drama mongered in here and got banned for it, but this is a bit more personal and I feel a bit more justified sharing my thoughts. Like I feel like something very serious and difficult is being trivialized here. Nobody is saying it is 'OK' to say a slur, they are saying that the context is being warped here when a slur has to be made to be understood as a slur and that awareness of it should be promoted. That this developer may not be aware of it (we don't know yet, again their response and the timeliness of it is what should be judged). A lot of people are probably well meaning in here and I can't make a guess as to anyone's experience of autism, directly or not, cause that is not OK to do either. But I think maybe some of these well meaning people aren't really helping generate a productive understanding of ASD difficulties, they might just be doing the opposite.

I accept that the term is hurtful, of course I know that now. But I advise people think a bit about the takes they are sharing here, especially WRT Jess who based on what others have shared here is not speaking from a position of ill information.

Anyway here is that timestamp, I went and looked for it (Content warning, the slur being discussed if you dont want to hear it)

Sorry about this one mods but I felt I had to vent and I'm not trying to start a fire

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
I don't know who is doing visual design for GB with Dan Auer being gone, but I really enjoy some of the new stuff. The Game Mess Morning aesthetic is really nice to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Now we get to the heart of the issue which is that you, and apparently a lot of other people have arbitrarily decided that this slur is somehow a "lesser" slur, and thus more okay to say.
Even in this thread we had many people say they weren't aware of it at all, so did Jan during the segment, nobody would say that about the slur Ryan used. So of course they aren't on the same level. And again, they weren't used in the same way either, which is the more important context, especially with Jess' background, but you conveniently left that part out.
You've probably made up your mind already, so I won't be wasting my energy anymore. I also think it's fucked up that derFeef is insinuating ableism here, I'm quite disappointed by that.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
We would all stop with the knives below the table when the dev would clear that up.
It has not happened yet so this all becomes even more stressful and more suspicions the more time passes.

Sep 12, 2018
Fuck ableism, fuck the term and it was a mistake to put it in the game. I just think it's irresponsible to go "Jess said this slur on stream!" and completely ignore that she was merely highlighting that it was a slur to an audience of people who were mostly unaware, not to mention equating somebody affected by a slur quoting it in order to call attention to abelist language to a guy dropping homophobic language unprompted in anger.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
One last thing about that game.
It is just very disappointing that even Waypoint, especially before we got a word from the developers, is happily streaming it.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I'm of two minds when it comes to this. On the one hand, to have something condensed about the news of the prior day feels lean and good but on the other hand I think I enjoy something a bit more long form with some discussion latched onto it just because I feel there are news that deserves more discussion.

Also I'm treating the podcast as the "morning" part, not the livestream.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
I am happy that most livestreams at GB since the reshuffle are doing pretty well . Compared to before the changes, it seems to be a singificant increase. Again these changes seemed to have worked out well for everyone involved, even if the original cause seems to be quite messy,

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Glad that Jeff had Rachel on for this episode, and that she was able to talk about how the abortion stuff will impact the industry.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Caught the tail end of the GTA 5 (2013) quicklook on GB Infinite. Towards the end of the video, I think Brad asks, "Think they'll bring this over to next gen consoles?"

If only they knew...

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I've put a couple of hours into death stranding and so far, it's not for me.
I love everything with how the narrative is presented, but the knowledge of it being a 60 hour minimum experience means I am not likely to touch it.

On a similar note, I came across a recent epiphany.

I really do like playing games, but I think I like finishing them more.

This is why I am drawn to film more than any other medium, you can knock one out with by spending, at most, four hours of the day (you know which four hour film I refer to right?). Compare this to the glut of quality television and 50+ hour games, which require a much larger commitment.

This has me thinking......is this epiphany what ends up drawing me toward the indie scene?

I made a recent Game Pass list of the indies I am likely to check out after Unpacking, including Tunic, Sable, Mortal Shell, Bugsnax, Death's Door, and Edith Finch.

At a glance, the listed titles frange anywhere from five to ten hours, a fraction of what I usually spend on a AAA title.

For those who ended up spending more time with Indies, is this what initially drew you in?

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
For those who ended up spending more time with Indies, is this what initially drew you in?
For me what drew me into indie games are two things

- How they could take an idea all the way to its logical end point while being creative about it
- Often times the games are focused on themes not focused in AAA games

It was never about length for me. I'm more about the ideas, themes and mechanics but I could also see the appeal in how indie games in general do not necessarily overstay their welcome.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
games are games.
I really don't understand why there is an AAA / Indie divide for you. I mean, it's you, so i get it lol.

But if a game is good why do i really care the size of the studio or how much money was behind it?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Have any/many people been tweeting or emailing the Dev about it?

I've seen the original tweet highlighting it, and a bunch of conversations in the GB extended universe threads talking about how those different teams are covering it...but I've not seen anyone else tweeting the Dev and getting a shit reply or anything like that.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
games are games.
I really don't understand why there is an AAA / Indie divide for you. I mean, it's you, so i get it lol.

But if a game is good why do i really care the size of the studio or how much money was behind it?
For some people big production values just grabs them, I know a few people who are like that in my life until I show them what indie games are doing on the lowkey.