• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I feel like in 2020 there are dozens and dozens of internet channels that filled the void left by G4. Depends who they get I guess?

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The website has launched with a playable game of Pong. This is referencing G4's April 2002 launch being a week long Pong marathon:

G4TV

G4TV
unknown.png

unknown.png

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was more info than just a date, Unless this is really early.

I guess UniversalNBC owns G4 or whatever is left of that name, so maybe something on Peacock?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The only thing I want out of this is the archives of ALL the classic TechTV/G4 shows being watchable so I can bask in the nostalgia.

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
I have so many great memories as a kid watching X-Play and Attack of the Show. Bring back Sessler, Webb, Pereira, and Munn and I am soooo down.

Oct 31, 2017
Doubt Kevin will be attached after he squandered his opportunity on the revival of AOTS "The Attack" though it seems he's already been talking about it on Twitter so maybe he'll be on board.

He viewbotted to keep his sinking ship afloat, putting dozens of jobs on the line in the process. Not to mention he was recently brought up again during the movement by former hosts for keeping an abusive workplace culture around and not taking their concerns seriously about co-host Alex Corea.

Anyway if he's back don't put that dude in charge so it can crash into another iceberg.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If this re-launch is going to cater people who enjoyed gaming content before YTbers and Streamers took over, This will be dead faster then Sonic. Hopefully they have the right people in creative control that will not make the content come off too dated.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it'll be a YouTube channel or something? I can't imagine a gaming focused cable channel would do well when cable is on its last legs.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
What the fuck? Adam just blocked me over this. I've interacted with him on twitter and followed him for a while. Watched him since X-Play days and followed his career from there. Guess he's really thin-skinned.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they could do it as an Adult Swim-like deal where it's only half an actual channel. I would assume it will make all of its money (if there is any) with online ads, anyway.

hsojlightfoot

Apr 6, 2020
This network was all pre streaming. Even youtube was hardly a thing back then. So it was kinda viable to put on cable TV. Now... not so sure it would survive TV. Has to be a streaming thing.

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, cool.

On the other, I wonder what G4 would look like in 2021.

While I have a lot of great memories of the old stuff, a lot of that old stuff that I'll revisit every now and again hasn't particularly aged well.

X-Play certainly matured as time went on. As did Attack of the Show, but the latter definitely had that hard on for the gamer girl stuff.

X-Play and the G4 podcast Feedback would do well in this day and age, but just not as we remember it. So I'm curious as to what that would look like in a year.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Bring back Cinematech!
Give me Icons and Cinematech with lo-fi music.
X-Play was cool and all, but honestly, all I'd really want is a new Cinematech, lol.

Hey, so I worked on Cinematech and NE in 2005-2006, and curious you want more montages, weird little minute gameplay "skits", just long form trailers/cinematics, or what? What did you like about Cinematech? Curious

WEIRDO!!!! LOL. wonder where portal dave ended up.

Jun 10, 2019
It's crazy how X-Play aired at a time when nerd/gaming culture was relatively niche and got canceled right before nerd culture 'hit the mainstream'

I think the opportunity for something like g4 has vanished and it's revival won't last long.

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
there are SO many amazing people creating content these days that blows what g4 ever did out of the water. why hang on to nostalgic threads and beg for people like adam and kevin to come back?

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
I don't give a shit. I'm still hurting over the TechTV sale (and the face that president of TechTV spoke at college graduation right after the sale. I was so pissed while shaking his hand).