• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has pretty much implied everything they make from here on out has to be a reinvention of some kind.

I don't think Retro's going to actually be the one to work on this like people are jumping to the conclusion of, though. Retro said they were working on something new, and people were sure Prime 4 would have to be made by Retro right until it was announced another team was handling it. I think they're going to bring out another team for this project too. Jumping to the conclusion that Retro is doing what they've always done feels far too safe for this era of Nintendo, and it contradicts what little we know about what they're working on in multiple ways.

Rymuth

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't mind going back to 3D just for once.

Off-topic: Are the Crocs still a property of Rare?

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. Metroid fans are getting their game.
2. The Switch isn't the Wii U and actually is selling. DK is typically a great seller.

Many are expecting something new from Retro rather than restricting themselves with the DK IP. As a western dev, a brand new western aesthetic IP is among the possibilites. They could do another DK, but the IP could be handled by another Nintendo dev teams instead. It's good to have variety.

tanoooki

Oct 28, 2017
I would like to see a DK game developed in-house rather than farmed out to a subsidiary game studio. Odyssey is gonna be a gold standard and will be hard to top.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Many are expecting something new from Retro rather than restricting themselves with the DK IP. As a western dev, a brand new western aesthetic IP is among the possibilites. They could do another DK, but the IP could be handled by another Nintendo dev teams instead. It's good to have variety.

Still don't get why working on DK is restricting the studio. Is it because it's a colorful cartoony platformer? Tropical Freeze had a lot of work put into it. If anything, I think Retro is the the best fit at Nintendo for the series. They've been the only studio to come close to what Rare did. Paon's games were mediocre, Koizumi is busy making Mario now, and Namco did a bunch of spinoff music games. A western dev has understood a western IP the best. I can't think of anyone else at Nintendo that could handle it besides maybe Next Level, and I'm sure that's not what they're working on. I don't think Monster Games could do the series justice either.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
An epically huge 3D Donkey Kong would be wonderful. A great follow-up to BotW and Odyssey.

THIJJ

Oct 26, 2017
Yes open world Donkey Kong please

We got this before. It wasn't so good

The irony being neither Mario nor Zelda really reinvented the wheel as much as they went for almost direct successors to their amazing N64 titles, with gameplay evolutions of course, but very much in the same vein—especially Mario.

DK64 was horrible. Does anyone really want another sandbox DK, especially when Retros 2D take are some of the best games ever

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We got this before. It wasn't so good

The irony being neither Mario nor Zelda really reinvented the wheel as much as they went for almost direct successors to their amazing N64 titles, with gameplay evolutions of course, but very much in the same vein—especially Mario.

DK64 was horrible. Does anyone really want another sandbox DK, especially when Retros 2D take are some of the best games ever

That doesn't mean they have to follow DK64 to make a new 3D Donkey Kong game. Mario's a prime example of having different 3D gameplay styles. Galaxy, 3D World, and Odyssey are all very different.

and there's absolutely people that want another one, if anybody could do it Retro could.

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I hate the push for everything to go open world as I'm typically not a fan of these types of games, but Donkey Kong would actually be a perfect for it. More-so than even Mario imo. Openly exploring a jungle as Donkey Kong sounds like a lot of fun. Interested to see what direction they take. Still hoping its Diddy Kong Racing 2, but i'll accept the next best thing. I don't think Rare's take on DK in 3D was very good at all, but I think Retro would nail it

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I hope that the trend of reinventing their franchises carries on to Metroid Prime 4 just as Reggie said.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
While that would be awesome, I'd also be okay with Retro wrapping up their DKCR trilogy with the return of King K. Rool.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I like Donkey Kong games, but I don't love them. I'm not sure where they could take the franchise to be honest. People are saying they should use the format and engine of Odyssey, but you will just end up with a worse version of SMO.

Also is the Donkey Kong from Mario vs. DK Cranky Kong or the current Donkey Kong? Why does current DK start shit with Mario? God the lore is so complicated.

Oct 25, 2017
Choose your favorite Kong and battle to claim the enemies banana trove in Donkey Kong Arena, a new MOBA for the Nintendo Switch!

Jojo Leir

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know, Retro making another Donkey Kong would explain why Nintendo is so coy on what they are working on. If their concept for this new game is somewhat experimental and after the tepid commercial performance of Tropical Freeze they would want to control the message very tightly, not unlike Breath of the Wild.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't read like he's hinting at anything to me. He just brought up 2 more big franchises as examples. I'm sure we will eventually get another DK and yeah it will probably be something new/radical as Nintendo seems to be getting in the groove with doing that. But if Retro is making it, it's gotta be 4-5 years out.
but why donkey kong? nintendo announced yoshi, kirby, metroid, pokemon and fire emblem already so there is a lot he could namedrop but he choose DK...
IF this is the title Retro has been working on the meltdown would be real...

At least I'm going to be
why? metroid fans are getting metroid prime 4. are metroid fans going to boycott MP4 because its not by retro?

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like Donkey Kong games, but I don't love them. I'm not sure where they could take the franchise to be honest. People are saying they should use the format and engine of Odyssey, but you will just end up with a worse version of SMO.

Also is the Donkey Kong from Mario vs. DK Cranky Kong or the current Donkey Kong? Why does current DK start shit with Mario? God the lore is so complicated.

I think that's subjective. I've always preferred the DKC games over the 2D Mario games. I'm optimistic in what a 3D Donkey Kong game from Retro could be like. Maybe not in the Odyssey engine of course.

And to answer your question, it's the current Donkey Kong, and the shit stirring is over him stealing Mini Mario toys. Mario vs DK is a weird series of games.

You know, Retro making another Donkey Kong would explain why Nintendo is so coy on what they are working on. If their concept for this new game is somewhat experimental and after the tepid commercial performance of Tropical Freeze they would want to control the message very tightly, not unlike Breath of the Wild.

Honestly, yeah. I could see this. They probably wanna keep it under wraps as long as they can so people don't complain about it and potentially hurt it's reception.

Secret Fawful

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not joking. Bring back the king.

latest

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still don't get why working on DK is restricting the studio. Is it because it's a colorful cartoony platformer? Tropical Freeze had a lot of work put into it. If anything, I think Retro is the the best fit at Nintendo for the series. They've been the only studio to come close to what Rare did. Paon's games were mediocre, Koizumi is busy making Mario now, and Namco did a bunch of spinoff music games. A western dev has understood a western IP the best. I can't think of anyone else at Nintendo that could handle it besides maybe Next Level, and I'm sure that's not what they're working on. I don't think Monster Games could do the series justice either.

Nintendo EAD Tokyo handled DK: Jungle Beat for GCN with solid results, they could work with the franchise again, Retro isn't the only option. Retro could work with a new western orientated IP, something Nintendo is actually lacking at the moment, being able to attract and foster a new audience with the proper talent. DK would be in safe hands at EAD Tokyo.

Deleted member 12680

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has reading the tea leaves in Reggie's words ever proven to be fruitful? Nintendo isn't really one for teasing projects. They'll either straight up talk about something in development with zero fanfare (Pikmin 4), or they say nothing at all. It's fun to speculate, though.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
but why donkey kong? nintendo announced yoshi, kirby, metroid, pokemon and fire emblem already so there is a lot he could namedrop but he choose DK...

why? metroid fans are getting metroid prime 4. are metroid fans going to boycott MP4 because its not by retro?

It's possibke it is was on purpose there's just no way to know. I just didn't read it that way. If he had only given 1 example and said DK it may have sounded more calculated to me. Regardless, I'm excited for the next DK - it's a wonderful series :)

Last edited:

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo EAD Tokyo handled DK: Jungle Beat for GCN with solid results, they could work with the franchise as well, Retro isn't the only option. Retro could work with a new western orientated IP, something Nintendo is actually lacking at the moment, being able to attract and foster a new audience with the proper talent. DK would be in safe hands at EAD Tokyo.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the same team that's working on Mario now? Koizumi headed that team and moved on to Galaxy and is still making Mario. Jungle Beat was a lot of fun, but many fans like me hated it's direction as it kept none of the Donkey Kong Country aesthetics or characters. I think a western studio is more fit for Donkey Kong Country, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure many would be happy with a new Jungle Beat game.

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
I would so love a 3rd DKC game from Retro. Just don't bring back the Kremlins. Those guys are the worst.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's possibke it is as on purpose there's just no way to know. I just didn't read it that way. If he had only given 1 example and judged DK it may have sounded more calculated to me. Regardless, I'm excited for the next DK - it's a wonderful series :)
hmmm i mean DK R was an excellent seller but DKTF didnt do that well (still selling a million though, i think). its definately not a series you would namedrop as the third big franchise of nintendo.

macapala

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like other people have been saying, a 3D Donkey Kong would be AWESOME! As long as its not a collectathon.

Kiddy Kong totally needs to return! Who's with me?

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Lost in the Donkey Kong discussion is the Metroid part of the Reggie quote..

Reggie said:
"Whether it's with a Metroid experience or a Donkey Kong experience, we're constantly looking to push the envelope on the IP versus doing sequential small iterations with a particular franchise."

I wonder if that refers to Samus Returns? Or maybe it means that Metroid Prime 4 will take that series in a significantly new direction.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
we're constantly looking to push the envelope on the IP versus doing sequential small iterations with a particular franchise.

Not sure about this part. They did the small iterative thing for DKC 1, 2 and 3. I'd even argue that TF from Returns was the kind of iteration he was alluding to.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the same team that's working on Mario now? Koizumi headed that team and moved on to Galaxy and is still making Mario. Jungle Beat was a lot of fun, but many fans like me hated it's direction as it kept none of the Donkey Kong Country aesthetics or characters. I think a western studio is more fit for Donkey Kong Country, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure many would be happy with a new Jungle Beat game.

Actually, Nintendo EAD Tokyo is currently splitted into two divisions: Group NÂş 1 and 2. Koizumi's is 2. 1 is headed by Takao Shimizu, and he was the producer of titles such as DK: Jungle Beat, Super Mario Galaxy (along with Miyamoto) and both N64 Zelda remakes for 3DS. His team could handle DK franchise and not necessarily in the same Jungle Beat's steps.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's kinda Nintendo's M.O. in general; if they're gonna do an old/long-running IP they usually wanna do something fresh with it.

Hot take, DK would make a badass openworld exploration game set in a jungle with momentum/parkour action.
Woah, imagine a 3D DK with Spider-Man vine swinging physics
A1cHf.png

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, Nintendo EAD Tokyo is currently splitted into two divisions: Group NÂş 1 and 2. Koizumi's is 2. 1 is headed by Takao Shimizu, and he was the producer of titles such as DK: Jungle Beat, Super Mario Galaxy (along with Miyamoto) and both N64 Zelda remakes for 3DS. His team could handle DK franchise and not necessarily in the same Jungle Beat's steps.

Interesting. If that's the case I wouldn't mind seeing them make a Donkey Kong game.

As unlikely as this is though, I wish they'd split Retro into two divisions so we could get Donkey Kong and another IP like how Rare used to. With how much game development has changed since then, I don't know if it's feasible for them to work on two games at once.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Odyssey feels more like a successor to the Rare N64 games than Mario 64, at least to me. I would be totally down for the Odyssey team to take the engine and framework of Odyssey and make a successor to Donkey Kong 64.

Dr. Coz

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland, USA
Retro's new game is "Fucking Donkey Kong". Literally. It's a dating sim where you try to win the affections of your favorite Kong and then get it on. Rated M for mature.