• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame De Palma didn't have the rights to Batman, it sure would have helped me to have him in Scarface and help me understand Tony Montana isn't someone one should aspire to be. Now I have too much coke and too many little friends.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Both are sympathetic protagonists in their own films with their story being the one chosen by the filmmakers to be told.

If Joker is a murdering psycho, protagonist or not, he'll still be a villain — with or without Batman. This film'll simply be a character driven one, focusing on the tragic turn towards sociopathy.

A better comparison would be Michael Douglas in Falling Down

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think a joker movie without batman would interest me at all but...damn I am interested after seeing that!

Nov 30, 2017
It's called showing nuance and backstory. Whether all of that makes you feel sympathetic to him or not is up to you. You may be shocked to find out that not everyone that does bad things is a bad person all of the time or was not a good person at one point in their life. Life has gray areas like that.

I'm not talking about it as in a generalized term. I meant it as a Joker movie. They could have called this anything else and I'd be fine with how they want to represent mental illness.

But a Joker is not evil because he has a mental illness. He is supposed to represent that any one of us no matter how normal we are are just one bad day away from going insane.

Not that a mental illness person is a whole life of bad days away from becoming insane.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
It's called Joker. Not, Joker, but about this man spiraling down to become him. Like are you all seriously pretending like it's not about the Joker. Or that wasn't greenlit because of the Joker. JFC.

I'm asking where did you actually hear this being the definitive Joker movie? Who's mouthpiece did these words actually come out of?

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yet no one has said this is THE definitive take on the character. Only you are claiming this.
It's THE definitive take in the way every super hero movie is supposed to be THE definitive take on the character. That's how the marketing is presenting it, that's how audiences are supposed to take it. It's not hard so don't "well, actually" me about it.

Also I didn't say there shouldn't be multiple takes on the Joker, just that the character doesn't work as a main character of his own film.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
No 5 second long highlight clip at the start. No 80/90s classic song cover.

Great trailer!

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
This argument that "the Joker can only be portrayed in one way" is the dumbest thing I've seen on Era in a while.

And lmao at the idea that a villain isn't a good protagonist for a movie. What is wrong with people

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's THE definitive take in the way every super hero movie is supposed to be THE definitive take on the character. That's how the marketing is presenting it, that's how audiences are supposed to take it. It's not hard so don't "well, actually" me about it.
It's looking up to be one of the best takes on a super hero property. So sure, I'll take it as a definitive (whatever that means). Hopefully it influences other creators too.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
After watching the trailer, I wish that this movie was just about a wannabe comedian that fails and loses it, without any of the gotham/joker stuff.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I love Breaking Bad and that took the time to show the consequences of Walt's actions by also building up his supporting cast and show how it affected them. Walt was a "villain" as in he became a bad person, but he wasn't a "villain" in comic book terms, in Joker terms, where he was never sympathetic and always a "bad guy". Walt or more of an "anti-hero, and many fans of the show take him that way ot even as a straight up hero because he gets what he wants at the end, you just have to ignore the cost. It think there is a difference between giving a villain nuance and making them relatable and recasting a light on them to show they were always a normal person who turned bad.

Oct 27, 2017

Also I didn't say there shouldn't be multiple takes on the Joker, just that the character doesn't work as a main character of his own film.
You're clearly misinterpreting the intent by the filmmakers. I'm not sure what you're seeing in the marketing that convinces you this is supposed to be the definitive take on a character that's been around for 80+ years.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
A better comparison would be Michael Douglas in Falling Down

That is a very bad comparison to make, and highlights a problem people have been trying to say about this movie, which is it turns a villain like Joker into a "white devil" narrative. A narrative we definitely do not need right now, socially.

The white devil narrative is usually for antiheroes, but fits here: put upon central character ultimately hurts everyone around them because they believe their actions are justified because of the monsters in their world. The obstacles. The acceptable targets. It's their way of exerting social dominance while dangling the typical insecurities.

I'm hoping those acceptable targets don't happen to be PoCs like it normally is.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
You're clearly misinterpreting the intent by the filmmakers. I'm not sure what you're seeing in the marketing that convinces you this is supposed to be the definitive take on a character that's been around for 80+ years.
From the get go it was them saying this was going to be unique take, then everyone saw the first trailers, and people were super hyped about said unique take. The tagline of this movie might as well be "UNIQUE TAKE".

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That is a very bad comparison to make, and highlights a problem people have been trying to say about this movie, which is it turns a villain like Joker into a "white devil" narrative. A narrative we definitely do not need right now, socially.

The white devil narrative is usually for antiheroes, but fits here: put upon central character ultimately hurts everyone around them because they believe their actions are justified because of the monsters in their world. The obstacles. The acceptable targets. It's their way of exerting social dominance while dangling the typical insecurities.

I'm hoping those acceptable targets don't happen to be PoCs like it normally is.

I don't think the comparison is that bad. I think it's apt. More than Spiderman anyway.

Whether the comparison means that there is an underlying social irresponsibility here, that's different. We can discuss that. Folks and their worried talk about an alt-right co-opt is happening in this thread in fact.

If you mean that Douglas' character and Joker aren't comparable. Explain further. I'm willing to change my opinion if your argument on that front is compelling.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck everyone is so positive on twitter.

I don't understand, it looks so generic and flat.

I really don't get it. Is it just actor hype ?
I can understand people not liking the direction but I don't see how anyone can look at the cinematography in this movie and say it looks flat. No modern comic superhero movie property is going this direction so you calling it generic is just laughable to me.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
So is your issue is that there's no one to challenge him or that he became a villain?
Where did I say that?

I'm saying just because Batman is a hero and Joker is a villain in the comics, that relationship isn't one that exists here, nor with this different take on Joker.

If you are genuinely trying to understand my "issue", as in what was the point of the first post I made that people were taking in all sorts of other directions, I'm saying that the framing of a character who has the world picking on him being a rationalization for a person to become a villain strikes me as bullshit off the bat and I wish it would go away.

Granted, people that have hard lives deal with negativity that makes it tough to make the right decisions, and everybody struggles, but if you want to do a character study on how someone "turns bad", focusing on external factors being a driving cause isn't the best way to do it.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I don't think the comparison is that bad. I think it's apt. More than Spiderman anyway.

Whether the comparison means that there is an underlying social irresponsibility here, that's different. We can discuss that. Folks and their worried talk about an alt-right co-opt is happening in this thread in fact.

If you mean that Douglas' character and Joker aren't comparable. Explain further. I'm willing to change my opinion if your argument on that front is compelling.

Yeah I mean the former. If the movie handles his rise to prominence irresponsibly, like I feel Falling Down does, it could have more damage because of where we are at socially.

I should have been clearer on the bad part. I mean to say a movie like Falling Down would be a bad look right now. I also feel that way about Three Billboards, but that movie wasn't that popular.

If Joker is like any of those, cinematography be damned, it's bringing potential harm right now.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Where did I say that?

I'm saying just because Batman is a hero and Joker is a villain in the comics, that relationship isn't one that exists here, nor with this different take on Joker.

If you are genuinely trying to understand my "issue", as in what was the point of the first post I made that people were taking in all sorts of other directions, I'm saying that the framing of a character who has the world picking on him being a rationalization for a person to become a villain strikes me as bullshit off the bat and I wish it would go away.

Granted, people that have hard lives deal with negativity that makes it tough to make the right decisions, and everybody struggles, but if you want to do a character study on how someone "turns bad", focusing on external factors being a driving cause isn't the best way to do it.

Ok. So you don't buy the narrative.

Sorry for misunderstanding the first post, but tbf, you were vague. This post explains your position better.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone here trying to define the Joker like their dad will hit them if they don't.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is insufferable. Phoenix is an incredible actor. I'll reserve judgement until the movie comes out. Bye...

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Is cancel culture really bout to extend to whole ass movies now or what?

Oh wait I forgot The Hunt

Last edited:

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I think vague is an understatement. All of their other posts were like charades.
To be fair, people responding "how can a hero be like a villain??" weren't even reading the context of what I wrote and I mainly had to respond to all those posts taking my words and twisting them around.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. 11 pages into this thread and I'm seeing 10x more comments decrying "hand wringing" culture than actual comments "hand wringing" about the film.

Hand Wringers: " Given Todd Phillips track record I'm concerned about how he'll handle the topic of mental illness. I hope it isn't overly exploitative or uncritically glorifies the actions of the main character."

Ant-Hand Wringers: " PC cancel culture has run amuck."

Holy fuck everyone is so positive on twitter.

I don't understand, it looks so generic and flat.

I really don't get it. Is it just actor hype ?

I think its a combination of actor and cinematography hype. The original teaser looked great but the more I see/hear about the movie the less interested I am. I'm getting serious Super 8 vibes but instead of Spielberg its just a pastiche of Martin Scorsese films with the Joker thrown in. It could be great but I'm not really sold atm.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
You and me both, WB has no clue how to handle DC property's. We got like 3 decent films out of them, one being great.
The idea is to tell interesting stories that aren't part of a connected universe. That is the desire of pretty much everyone involved in Joker. They want to do an interesting one off film that doesn't have to lead to anything or tie into some overarching story.