• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell am I reading? BOTW was a $60 game, combining it with the hardware price is ridiculous and doesn't make sense.

make sense because nobody had a Switch the day before BotW so, at launch, to buy the game people needed also to buy the console that they didn't had. Yes, it was available on the wii u, but very few people would have bought a wii u just for it, and there was probably a huge overlap between Wii U owners and Switch early adopters. It sold on the Switch more than the Wii U so i think the assessment is pretty fair and the tie-ratio at launch also speaks for itself.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
make sense because nobody had a Switch the day before BotW so, at launch, to buy the game people needed also to buy the console that they didn't had. Yes, it was available on the wii u, but very few people would have bought a wii u just for it, and there was probably a huge overlap between Wii U owners and Switch early adopters. It sold on the Switch more than the Wii U so i think the assessment is pretty fair and the tie-ratio at launch also speaks for itself.
It literally is nonesense, you don't combine the hardware price with a game's, the price of the game in stores is still $60, when the company counts revenue for the game they look at how many units sold and at what price point.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
It literally is nonesense, you don't combine the hardware price with a game's, the price of the game in stores is still $60, when the company counts revenue for the game they look at how many units sold and at what price point.

And? this has nothing to do with my point? yes, in a technical sense since launch it has been a $60 but my point was never that it wasn't, just that in a practical sense, at launch, it was $360 since the majority of owners needed to buy the hardware to play it while with GoW a lot of the owners probably already owned a PS4 to play it. My point is that context matters which some of you seem to dismiss for no reason. You could say "runner 1 arrived at the goal in 1h, while runner 2 need to 2h to arrive" and with only that information you could think runner 1 is way faster than runner 2, but if the following context is given "runner 1 started the race 4km away from the goal while runner 2 started 10 km away" then the answer "to who is faster?" changes.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And? this has nothing to do with my point? yes, in a technical sense since launch it has been a $60 but my point was never that it wasn't, just that in a practical sense, at launch, it was $360 since the majority of owners needed to buy the hardware to play it while with GoW a lot of the owners probably already owned a PS4 to play it. My point is that context matters which some of you seem to dismiss for no reason. You could say "runner 1 arrived at the goal in 1h, while runner 2 need to 2h to arrive" and with only that information you could think runner 1 is way faster than runner 2, but if the following context is given "runner 1 started the race 4km away from the goal while runner 2 started 10 km away" then the answer "to who is faster?" changes.

Context is wholly dismissed by some when it doesn't fit their narrative. If I had claimed the Switch is now more successful than Wii and PlayStation 4 in the United States because it sold more units in its first ten months than any home console in history, I would have been laughed out of the room and justifiably so.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Why would people buy a 300 bucks console without a game?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Basically, Zelda is a launch title which will limit it's day/month 1 potential. This applies to all games that launch on a console early on and I think people know what you're trying to say.

With that said, GoW seems like it beats out most Nintendo games historically save for Smash Brawl and Pokemon. Very impressive first month for the game.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Basically, Zelda is a launch title which will limit it's day/month 1 potential. This applies to all games that launch on a console early on and I think people know what you're trying to say.

With that said, GoW seems like it beats out most Nintendo games historically save for Smash Brawl and Pokemon. Very impressive first month for the game.
Sounds like Mario beat it too

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We actually don't know how many units Super Mario Odyssey sold in its entire first month on the market.
I guess you're right. My bad. No way to tell. But gow is up there with a handful of Nintendo exclusive titles that can move a ton of units in a short period of time. Not many exclusives can do that

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With "right now" I mean:
We have the "3 days" numbers for both. And we have the "2 months" numbers for Mario.
So now wait another month for GOW and let's see how it looks like for both.

edit.
Why they hell am I even doing this and compare GOW's incredible sames numbers with SMO's numbers? lmao.
Let's end this.

Gurish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
Soooo... When are we getting that sequel?

I feel like it's going to be one of the most anticipated sequels ever when they'll announce it, and the expectations are going to be huge after the standard and the foundation GoW 2018 set, it's not gonna be easy for them.

Anyway I hope we can enjoy the sequel in this gen already, though I know chances aren't high and we will probably have to wait for next gen for this. I wish development time wasn't so long :/

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Historically, Nintendo games aren't frontloaded, I doubt GOW will have legs like Nintendo games have

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What is the context? People bought a Switch and Zelda at launch? How does that make Zelda sales more impressive exactly?

Context is wholly dismissed by some when it doesn't fit their narrative. If I had claimed the Switch is now more successful than Wii and PlayStation 4 in the United States because it sold more units in its first ten months than any home console in history, I would have been laughed out of the room and justifiably so.
Like that haven't been said many times before, I like how you make it sound otherwise.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only numbers we have...

Mario: 2m (3 days), 7.5m (2 months)
GoW: 3.1m (3 days), 5m (1 month)

With these numbers looks like they are close a launch advantage for GoW... if it could sell over 2.5m in the second month then the launch advantage carried.
Still very impressive.

Gurish

Banned
Mar 20, 2018
If Spider-Man gets above 93 on metacritic, it will outsell God of War. I will keep saying this. This is supported by what Benji observation with tracking. When games gets above 93 on metacritic, its sales tends to explode.

And what are the chances of that to happen? GoW is the only game outside of the 2 Nintendo games to surpass the 93 score this gen.

Do you realize how rare it is? in 5 years no one had done this.

Spiderman looks awesome but it won't get above 93, it probably won't get to the 9 area as well.

In 2022. 2 years after the PS5 launch :)

:(((

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
The only numbers we have... i think

With these numbers looks like they are close a launch advantage for GoW... if it could sell over 2.5m in the second month then the launch advantage carried.

I think GoW may slow down faster because of competition from many games (Detroit for example releasing now) and not having a period like BF or holidays when consoles and games usually sell more than in spring or summer.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Where did you see that, the only source i see is 7.5 million from end of october to beginning of feburary.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy

It's not gonna have only a 50% drop in the second month, expecially since second week was very good with the data we have.

That's an impressive performance but Mario definitively win this.

Where did you see that, the only source i see is 7.5 million from end of october to beginning of feburary.

Nah, Nintendo himself annunced it sold 2 million first 3 days.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
This is insane.

We need a list of top performing developers in this industry.

Naughty Dog
Game Freak
Nintendo EAD Tokyo
Sony Santa Monica

who did I forget?
Ubisoft have been killing it this gen too, pretty much constant great selling games every year.
Sony in general too, pretty much every returning franchise has broke records and their new stuff has mostly been success.

Gurish

Banned
Mar 20, 2018
Incredible sales.

With this kind of success, I think it is actually a mistake not to have ANY post launch content addons for this game. People would surely like to play more stuff.

I agree with you, if they had a juicy expansion like with Horizon, I would pre order it right now, I wish that would be their next project, to release an expansion next year and than start working on GoW 2, much preferable than to wait for a sequel in 2021/2022 without anything to play until than.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Historically, Nintendo games aren't frontloaded, I doubt GOW will have legs like Nintendo games have
Probably not, I was just comparing the actual data we have based on what others were posting.

I'm not even sure why Nintendo is being discussed here, but I wasn't surprised to see that being the case.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only if it wasn't true, nothing wrong to compare sales launch aligned and see which is doing better.

When you compare launch-aligned numbers, extrapolate those numbers, and then conclude that one franchise is now bigger than another, that's not what is happening. It's disingenuous in the same way claiming the Switch is now a more successful platform than PS4 based on 10 month US launch-aligned numbers is.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
200w.gif