• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
So your take away from this movie you haven't seen is that the joker is portrayed as the good guy and isn't challenged? The joker killing people and snapping is totally justified within the context of the movie?
From the spoilers I've seen? Yeah that pretty much seems to be the case. Will most people take it that way? Probably not. But will the 10% already predisposed to take it that way? Yeah, probably.

how Does a 50 year old universally beloved evil comic book character doing evil sadistic things justify and glorify white unsuccessful men Who commit violence. Should we ban fight club next from screenings ?
I'm not saying ban anything I'm saying don't be surprised when there's a further uptick of racial and sexual violence after release.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait till this thing comes out and it doesn't turn out to be the Manchurian Candidate-esque trigger that activates all the incels to riot and murder like you guys assume it will. This is one of the most regressive arguments I've ever seen from such a place of established progressiveness that it's just depressing to see happen.
Watching this turn towards pro-censorship take place in real time is some wild shit.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
From the spoilers I've seen? Yeah that pretty much seems to be the case. Will most people take it that way? Probably not. But will the 10% already predisposed to take it that way? Yeah, probably.

I'm not saying ban anything I'm saying don't be surprised when there's a further uptick of racial and sexual violence after release.

so if you think this uptick still be caused by this movie what is your solution forfuture movies.
Regulation? Censorship ? Writers should not film what they want to film ? Self censorship ? What do you suggest in future such cases before filming begins

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
hays_code_notice.jpg

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't help myself but watch this, the violence in this movie feels very real and intense. It's not glorified at all which I appreciate.

October can't come soon enough.

This is like definition of glorified violence. Killing someone after shouting a
S O C I E T Y level high-school speech? Using violence as domination and to scare? This is the ultimate power fantasy for some fucks out there, lmao.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Considering how fucked the US has become, i'm pretty sure this movie will be fuel for some terrorist fucks to organize shootings. This is exactly the kind of character they identify with, and the glorified violence here will probably be seen as heroic and totally misinterpreted. Just pay attention to that script.

mzawVO3.png

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I don't get this thread , like time and time again it is shown and said that movies and games and other form of media's don't make people commit acts of violence.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017

What in the fuck

You think this movie is going to lead to a genuine increase in crime? Rapes, murders, poc getting targeted for attacks because this movie releases?

I don't even know how to respond to this. At a loss for words.

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the craziest thing you saw this week, echo

Well, I saw someone with an anarchy avatar demanding censorship of a comic book movie

Oh fuck you. I'm not even calling for censorship. The movie has a message encouraging violence for people looking for that message. Dismissal of this is the definition of putting your head in the sand.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Because it justifies and glorifies the ideology of white, sexually unsuccessful men who already commit mass violence on the regular?

First off going by those clips and the script the movie doesn't justify or glorify anything Joker does. Second depiction is not an endorsement if even that's how things did go down.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
how is this glorification lmao

he's portrayed as an evil, murderous psycho with ominous music

Oct 26, 2017

Will some people use this as a springboard for acting out their violent revenge fantasies against the rest of the world? Possibly.

If this movie didn't exist, those same people would find their springboard in something else. A book, a game, a TV show, a movie, a song, a website, a politician...

They blame the world for their shitty actions. Why join them in that endeavor by blaming a movie, when the fault lies squarely and solely at their feet?

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
You seriously in your heart of hearts believe that media has no effect on those that consume it?
Media can effect people sure, but crime statistics increasing after this movie comes out and maybe because this movie releases? A genuine uptick in violent crimes?

Of course not, that's a genuinely insane assertion. Like what the hell.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
just seems like an angry fellow ....idk how to feel about this.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First off going by those clips and the script the movie doesn't justify or glorify anything Joker does. Second depiction is not an endorsement if even that's how things did go down.
The film clearly isn't endorsing the Joker's actions (at least in these clips), but it's easy to see how it could be read as a power fantasy when viewed through a particular lens imo.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Leaked script was real. Surprised it's getting all the good reviews as the script was average. Acting must being carrying it

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
how is this glorification lmao

he's portrayed as an evil, murderous psycho with ominous music

I said this when the script was going around to just critics. If people think The Joker is a sympathetic character they're straight up dumb and don't understand nuance

The film clearly isn't endorsing the Joker's actions (at least in these clips), but it's easy to see how it could be read as a power fantasy when viewed through a particular lens imo.

That's not the movie's or artist's fault

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever, I'm out. Id
so what solution do you suggest as a studio head if a writer has this idea

Make it more clear that Joker is a bad guy? Have him get brutally killed at the end?

Look im about to go into a bar without cell service. If y'all don't think that some people are going to come away from this movie more sympathetic to Joker's incel worldview you're deluded. Anyway I'm out. Enjoy your spin off movie.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever, I'm out. Id

Make it more clear that Joker is a bad guy? Have him get brutally killed at the end?

Look im about to go into a bar without cell service. If y'all don't think that some people are going to come away from this movie more sympathetic to Joker's incel worldview you're deluded. Anyway I'm out. Enjoy your spin off movie.

and you think people that stupid/demented are tipped over by a movie? rly??

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Whatever, I'm out. Id

how could you not be more clear than those clips or the trailer or the character. do you have sympathy for isis members because half were frustated by their society and downturn economy and turned to violence? no? why not apply the same principles here. the acts you commit which go against human nature of being good which everyone knows IS being a bad guy.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All 3 clips showcases The Joker as being a batshit insane monster. Flat out. Tremendous performance by Phoenix.