• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I just successfully played a game of Cosmic Star Heroine from the start of the game straight through to the ending credits on the Vita with no crashes!

VaeVictis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After I finish Trails of Cold Steel on my VIta, I would really love to start with CSH.
Glad to see you are keeping the faith and the VIta alive :)

Nov 3, 2017
Haven't finished this yet, but really like what I've played so far. If it wasn't for Xenoblade 2, this would be my favourite jrpg of 2017

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I played the game and it was ok.
The Biggest problem it got, was it didn't took its time to let you know more about the characters/allies and of cource about the World. It was in rush which felt very forced to just let's get over with the plot of the game....
I hope their next game to be more comfortable to make it last longer and trust us that we indeed care for more details/characteristics of a World and characters.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I played the game and it was ok.
The Biggest problem it got, was it didn't took its time to let you know more about the characters/allies and of cource about the World. It was in rush which felt very forced to just let's get over with the plot of the game....
I hope their next game to be more comfortable to make it last longer and trust us that we indeed care for more details/characteristics of a World and characters.

Yep. Fewer main characters with more focus on each is a big goal of mine for Rx Machina.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
First time hearing about your new game. A JRPG like Cosmic Star?

Yep. It'll have similar combat mechanics as CSH (with a few modifications), but also will have a life sim element like the Persona series. General premise is that you're a pilot/surgeon at a hospital that uses mechs that can miniaturize and you go and fight strange extradimensional diseases.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Yep. It'll have similar combat mechanics as CSH (with a few modifications), but also will have a life sim element like the Persona series. General premise is that you're a pilot/surgeon at a hospital that uses mechs that can miniaturize and you go and fight strange extradimensional diseases.

Very interesting premise.
I thought at first the game was about a Mech Pilot going to War Fields fixing damaged Friendly Mechs, but then I saw the word "miniaturize" and saw how wrong I was.
I love the most recent Persona games, so I hope to make a satisfying mix or Dating/Life Sim and JRPG without a lot o problems.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017

I think I saw you posting ideas about this on Twitter a while ago. Neat idea.

I know it's probably too early to saw yet, but will Vita be a target platform or have you had too much of a nightmare porting CSH across?

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I can't recommend this game enough, mainly for its battle system on the hardest difficulty. It's SMT-levels of fun.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Here are some more details.

I went through the game from the start to the finish with no saves and no crashes. I didn't do optional content & I had a hack enabled that set all enemy Max HP to 1 so that I could go through as quickly as possible. I don't know of any specific instances in the game that cause crashes - all of the Vita crashes in the past were general issues that were due to the Vita running out of RAM (primarily due to the poor garbage collection in Unity resulting in memory fragmentation over time). Before the latest changes to the memory setup, the game would always crash sometime before you get your own spaceship (which isn't even halfway through the game) so being able to play through the entire game with no crashes is a huge improvement over that.

I still need to setup Vita trophies (which shouldn't be too hard) and there are a couple of minor Vita-specific bugs that need to be fixed (stuff like a specific boss trying to activate an animation that doesn't exist and it throwing up an error message). After those are taken care of, we'll need to do additional testing. Before I was just trying to get through the game, but then, I'll be actively trying to cause the game to crash.

Once all that's done and we're happy with the results, we'll submit to Sony for official release. Once it passes, we'll set and announce an official release date. In any case, it shouldn't be much longer now.

For those who are unaware, the game is cross-buy so if you've already bought the PS4 version, you'll automatically get the Vita version when it releases. No cross-save due to technical issues. I don't know if the trophies will be separate from the PS4 version, but I'll figure that out soon.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
I bought it on a sale and after playing for a few hours I regretted not buying it immediately when it came out at full price. Truly an amazing game.

bstiernberg

Oct 30, 2017
Here are some more details.

I went through the game from the start to the finish with no saves and no crashes. I didn't do optional content & I had a hack enabled that set all enemy Max HP to 1 so that I could go through as quickly as possible. I don't know of any specific instances in the game that cause crashes - all of the Vita crashes in the past were general issues that were due to the Vita running out of RAM (primarily due to the poor garbage collection in Unity resulting in memory fragmentation over time). Before the latest changes to the memory setup, the game would always crash sometime before you get your own spaceship (which isn't even halfway through the game) so being able to play through the entire game with no crashes is a huge improvement over that.

I still need to setup Vita trophies (which shouldn't be too hard) and there are a couple of minor Vita-specific bugs that need to be fixed (stuff like a specific boss trying to activate an animation that doesn't exist and it throwing up an error message). After those are taken care of, we'll need to do additional testing. Before I was just trying to get through the game, but then, I'll be actively trying to cause the game to crash.

Once all that's done and we're happy with the results, we'll submit to Sony for official release. Once it passes, we'll set and announce an official release date. In any case, it shouldn't be much longer now.

For those who are unaware, the game is cross-buy so if you've already bought the PS4 version, you'll automatically get the Vita version when it releases. No cross-save due to technical issues. I don't know if the trophies will be separate from the PS4 version, but I'll figure that out soon.

And like, stick in those last two dungeons (the finished ones)

Shifty1897

Oct 28, 2017
I was really impressed with the amount of in game animations and how good the whole game looked. I wasn't a fan of the Sega CD style animation sequences, I think using the in game engine for those sequences would have actually looked better and more cohesive. Battle system is fantastic, the best Zeboyd's ever made.

Oct 25, 2017
I played a bit of the game
just beat the giant mech
and while I enjoy it overall, I wish it didn't feel the need to be a comedy game as well cause the humor is more miss than hit for me.
Overall it's pretty fun I'm not completely sold on the battle system but I can see it's potential

bstiernberg

Oct 30, 2017
I played a bit of the game
just beat the giant mech
and while I enjoy it overall, I wish it didn't feel the need to be a comedy game as well cause the humor is more miss than hit for me.
Overall it's pretty fun I'm not completely sold on the battle system but I can see it's potential
I recommend playing on Heroine difficulty to get a little more out of the battle system (if you aren't already doing so)

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend playing on Heroine difficulty to get a little more out of the battle system (if you aren't already doing so)
I think the combat system itself is really fun, but I'm not a big fan of constantly changing characters. That's just me but at this point characters came and left so quickly that it felt like is was a waste to even familiarize myself with their attacks.
I'm sure that get's better later on. And the game overall is really charming so I'm definitely planning to play more.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I'd guess about 40% in. Maybe a little less if you do all the side areas.

It'll be soon after the Vita release. Speaking of which, the Vita release is what I'm spending most of my work time doing these days.

For those who haven't heard, our next RPG is going to be called Rx Machina. Premise is you work at a hospital in a city that's an interdimensional hub and you use miniaturized mechs to heal people who have been infected with sentient virus armies. Will have a Persona-style sim element. Combat will be similarly mechanically to Cosmic Star Heroine with a few changes. 1st person perspective in combat so we have more time to focus on other stuff (like story/dialogue).

Will there be romance options? I am one of those weirdos that likes romance options in my games.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember meeting the Devs at PSX 2015 and playing a bit of this game. It was really good from the bits I got to play, I need to get around to buying it. If it ever comes to the switch I'd definitely pick it up there, it'll make up for I Am Setsuna.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Dayum, missed this thread until now and i'm glad to see the constant communications from devs to players, i'll check the PS store in Canada and check CSH's price, i wanna support devs like that.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Will there be romance options? I am one of those weirdos that likes romance options in my games.

I believe so. It'll be a bit different than the Persona games though - the Heroine slot in your party can be one of three individuals depending on early game choices and that character is the romance choice for that game. Doing things this way to give the game more replayability plus it allows us to focus more on individual characters since we don't have to worry about who might be in your party. More options would be better, but we want to keep things limited so that we can get the game out in a reasonable amount of time.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
For those who haven't heard, our next RPG is going to be called Rx Machina. Premise is you work at a hospital in a city that's an interdimensional hub and you use miniaturized mechs to heal people who have been infected with sentient virus armies. Will have a Persona-style sim element. Combat will be similarly mechanically to Cosmic Star Heroine with a few changes. 1st person perspective in combat so we have more time to focus on other stuff (like story/dialogue).

The premise sounds pretty cool. 1st person perspective meaning something akin to dungeon crawlers? That should work fine I would think. More character stories and interactions are also great.

I loved CSH but yeah too large of a cast was somewhat of a detriment. That said for folks who haven't bought it yet, you definitely should jump on the current deals, great game and one of the best 16bit style RPGs out there.

Edit: Fir the new game Vita isn't worth it, IMO, considering the state of the handheld and as you mention Switch is out (hopefully you can get a dev kit). I am saying this while having 2 Vitas and PS TV.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I've been intrigued by this game for a while and finally decided to pick it up. The sci-fi aesthetic already had me intrigued because Phantasy Star IV is my favourite JRPG, and this game felt like it was going to scratch that itch really well. And damn it did. The first dungeon even is kind of similar haha. :D
I really -really- enjoyed the game, and that's despite my usual loathing for JRPGs. I can only commend you guys at Zeboyd, you did fantastic work. And of course a fantastic soundtrack by HyperDuck as well (tho I expected no less hehe).

Fun tidbit - Psybe wasn't originally planned as part of the game, but we did a Kickstarter poll to choose an extra character to put into the game & Psybe was the one that was chosen.

The community chose very wisely then, because once I recruited Psybe, he was my go-to support party member. He's so good! I love the song mechanic, too.
Did you have a bard-type character like him planned if he wouldn't have made it into the game? Or were Clarke and Lauren supposed to be the 'bards'?

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cool. :) I do like that she turned more into a rogue-ish character instead.

Also, how is Arete supposed to be pronounced?

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the answers, sorry if the last question seemed a bit asinine haha.

Either way, I know you're working on a different project right now, but I'm really hoping for a sequel or an expansion at some point.
Maybe make Echo playable, pretty please with sugar on top?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Either way, I know you're working on a different project right now, but I'm really hoping for a sequel or an expansion at some point.
Maybe make Echo playable, pretty please with sugar on top?

We were considering making that individual playable at one point, but after your game misses its release date by a couple of years, you start cutting out non-essential stuff.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Understandable. Either way, I'll definitely keep my eye on your future game, as well as anything after that. :)

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
I finally got a chance to dive into this today after it has sat in my backlog since launch date - and I just absolutely adore this game! I just started Chapter 3, and it's so good. The SNES-style sprites, the music, the Chrono Trigger-esque gameplay... it's awesome. You can definitely see the Chrono Trigger influences with this game, and considering that's my all-time favorite game, they are SO appreciated.

I also appreciate that this game is much more linear than your typical RPG (at least, it is so far). It's got a great start, and it looks like it'll be a fun ride!

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
I just can't get over how much I adore this game. It's one of those games that is so great that I feel bad about whatever I play next... it's going to be tough to stand up to the experience I'm having with CSH right now. I poured a ton of time into the game over the weekend (just got Psybe), and I love it. Like others have said, the lack of grind is SO appreciated. I also really loved the Resident Evil 2-esque side quest - that was really great. The music is great, I'm talking to everyone, and honestly just super enjoying this. It's cool to see there's DLC in the works, and goodness if this ever gets ported to Xbox One and/or Switch, I'd buy it all over again just to play through it again and support the developers. I've been singing this game's high praises to everyone - just can't get over how much I love it.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I played and platinumed in 2017. Cute and fun game, if wholly unmemorable. I will say that the sidequest that's a nod to RE2 was really cool. IIRC the final boss was a bit of a bitch too, compared to the rest of the game at that point (Dave and Psybe made things super easy).

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
I knew I was going to like this game based on the trailer alone...

But damn! It's sooo good!

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Holy crap. Super late on that reply because I didn't notice that there were two pages.

Anyway, CSH is terrific.

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
Just finished CSH. It was a wonderful, wonderful ride. I platinumed the game, but definitely think I'm going to revisit it again at some point in the near future.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018

You ended up choosing the Mech Game.
tumblr_inline_ofc0y6JEh31t1p500_500.gif

Do you know if the hospital is going to be inside the body of one individual and the Shrunken size is just normal? or is it external and the mechs have to shrink down and go into the bodies of various individuals?