• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from being a cute Secret Lair, that's some insane value, since a single Craterhoof alone is $47, and you get two.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
These are awesome. One of the better Secret Lairs of recent and the kind of drops that very much justify its existence over random property mashups.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Secret Lair: Stranger Things bonus card revealed

微博

随时随地发现新鲜事!微博带你欣赏世界上每一个精彩瞬间,了解每一个幕后故事。分享你想表达的,让全世界都能听到你的心声!

image0.jpg
image1.jpg

Pretty neat. Note this has black color identity.

Not sure how the The List reprinting will work.

Surprised they didn't make a Demogorgon card.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Been brewing up a UG Flash deck for Modern. I had a draft of the list but I wasn't quite sure what counter magic to use. So I took a look at the Modern meta to see what people have been rocking lately, maybe to try and figure out the reasoning and see if it fit my deck. I started digging and found that Counterspell is 100% the defacto counter card in pretty much any and every deck.

... huh.

Look I get it, the card's a beast. But this made me sad. I loved the way we had to try and figure out whether to play Remand, Mana Leak, Disdainful Stroke, etc. Weigh the benefits and downsides of each against the popular decks. Now the choice is just made for you. Play Counterspell and * something else I guess * if you want more, but there is basically no reason to slot anything else into those initial first four slots.

It's a shame that reprinting something like this into the Modern format feels so bad, I couldn't have predicted this as my reaction. I really hate the homogenization of card selection in regards to deckbuilding, especially in older formats. Guess I'll be sleeving up my 4x Ice Age Counterspells when I decide to play this but I'll be pouring one out for all those invalidated 1U options.

Feb 16, 2018
there is basically no reason to slot anything else into those initial first four slots

some decks can't always get UU or have some weird restrictions (like not being able to play 2 mv stuff for cascade reasons), but otherwise yes

i felt the same way about lightning bolt. it shouldn't just be a better version of everything else.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
some decks can't always get UU or have some weird restrictions (like not being able to play 2 mv stuff for cascade reasons), but otherwise yes

i felt the same way about lightning bolt. it shouldn't just be a better version of everything else.
I could get behind removing Bolt and Counterspell from Modern.

They're both the logical ceiling for what they do without being too powerful, which means every variation after will likely be worse. There isn't a better Bolt, thankfully, but when one considers Mana Drain? It's 100% a better Counterspell and it should never be brought into newer formats. I'd hate that as a designer, having nowhere to go but down.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

The Walking Dead cards are getting in-Magic versions now. Rick is currently $50, so a reprint is definitely warranted.

In more unfortunate news, regarding the hospital being donated to in this year's Extra Life Secret Lair
magic.wizards.com

Join Wizards of the Coast for Extra Life 2021 | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

Raise money for charity and support Wizards of the Coast's Extra Life 2021 campaign!

100% of Wizards's donations go directly to supporting the Autism Center at Seattle Children's Hospital, one way to give to those in need through the community you love.

www.seattlechildrens.org

Treatments and Services – Autism Center – Seattle Children's

Seattle Children’s Autism Center offers a wide range of treatments and services for children and teens with autism spectrum disorder and their families.

They offer ABA, which is viewed negatively by autism activists as being akin to conversion therapy, forcing children with autism to act neurotypical without addressing underlying concerns. Granted, I'm not sure there are many major hospitals with autism services that don't lean toward appealing more to neurotypical parents than the actual children, but make of this what you will if you donate.

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I have a code for the Phyrexian Secret Lair card styles if anyone wants one.

Edit: Gone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, Crimson Vow reveals start on Thursday, so it's almost time for a new thread, and that means it's time for thread title suggestions

Magic: the Gathering |OT| Innistrad: Crimson Vow - In this set, you're Dracula, and Hasbro is Moon Knight

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
magic.wizards.com

Where to Find Innistrad: Crimson Vow Previews | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

What's been previewed, what's going to be previewed, and where you can find all of it for Innistrad: Crimson Vow, right here!

Previews start on Thursday and only go on for a week.

Maro’s Innistrad: Crimson Vow Teaser

Before previews for Innistrad: Crimson Vow officially begin, I thought it would be fun to do another of my Duelist-style teasers where I give tiny hints of things to come. Note that I’m only giving...

First up, here are some things you can expect:
• The following counter types: bloodline, croak, invitation, judgment, omen, slime, and suspect
• A new mechanic that removes something never removed before
• A popular and powerful creature card from an Innistrad set gets reprinted
• A new artifact token, along the lines of Clue, Food and Treasure
• A card that makes red Dragon Illusion creature tokens with flying and haste

• A mechanic that first appeared as a faction mechanic returns
• A new legendary creature card that combines two characters that previously each had their own legendary creature card
• A new card that lets you cast certain cards off the top of your library
• A new mechanic which is a mirror of an already existing mechanic
• A legendary character returns, but now as a Vampire

Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:
• "Choose a number between 0 and 13."
• "with mana value less than or equal to the number of Vampires you control"
• "If it's red, you may cast it this turn."
• "Zombies you control have flying."
• "At the beginning of your upkeep, any opponent may sacrifice a creature."

• "Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, or Serpent"
• "twice that many of those tokens are created instead."
• "Whenever a Human you control dies,"
• "equal to the number of permanents you control that are Spirits and/or enchantments."
• "Then if you control exactly thirteen permanents,"

Finally, here are some creature type lines in the set:
• Creature – Human Ranger Werewolf
• Creature – Angel Soldier
• Creature – Zombie Scorpion
• Creature – Serpent Egg
• Creature – Eye Horror

• Legendary Creature – Human Peasant
• Legendary Creature – Spirit Warlock
• Legendary Creature – Slug Horror
• Legendary Creature – Kraken Horror
• Legendary Creature – Vampire Noble (two new ones)

My comments:

A new mechanic that removes something never removed before
Hard to tell what this is. Some have suggested emblems, but that doesn't seem right for a whole mechanic. Another suggestion is removing creature types.

A popular and powerful creature card from an Innistrad set gets reprinted
Blood Artist seems likely here. For an uncommon, it's gotten pretty expensive, at $5-6.

A new artifact token, along the lines of Clue, Food and Treasure
Clue is associated with blue, Food with green, and Treasure with red. I wonder if this will connect to a different color or if we'll get a repeat.

A mechanic that first appeared as a faction mechanic returns
I speculated earlier that spectacle would return here, and this fits. Bloodthirst is also likely.

A new legendary creature card that combines two characters that previously each had their own legendary creature card
I think this could be Halana and Alena as a single card.

A new mechanic which is a mirror of an already existing mechanic
Probably something along the lines of persist -> undying, but I can't think of any other mechanics that would work for that.

A legendary character returns, but now as a Vampire
Possibly Katilda. In the web fiction, the ritual being interrupted meant her soul left her body and is lost, the heroes have her body, and there's no indication she got turned, but far be it for me to assume this is where the web fiction and the cards won't contradict each other.

"equal to the number of permanents you control that are Spirits and/or enchantments."
We know there's a new Spirit mechanic, and this seems to indicate they might be going with a transform version of the licid mechanic, where you transform it into an Aura.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
A new artifact token, along the lines of Clue, Food and Treasure
Clue - card resource
Food - life resource
Treasure - mana resource

I can't think of any other resource that would work? I mean I guess you could make tokens you can crack for extra turns but that's ridiculous. Tokens you can crack to add +1/+1 counters?

A mechanic that first appeared as a faction mechanic returns
I think Bloodthirst is a great call here.

A new legendary creature card that combines two characters that previously each had their own legendary creature card
Maybe a throwback to Eldritch Moon / merge? Probably not :(

A new mechanic that removes something never removed before
First thought was clothing :)

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Creature types have definitely been removed before. Even in the latest set that 5/5 that puts slime counters on things an dmakes them 2/2 slimes removes creature types. That ones really stumps me. The only thing I can think of is like... mana abilities? that usually isnt touched.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Exile is dredge/reanimate hate. Be funny if we now need exile hate. It's the old lady that swallowed the fly...

Ready for a spooky story? Let me tell you about Battle For Zendikar…

Void attendant
2G
Creature - Eldrazi Processor
1G, Put a card an opponent owns from exile into that player's graveyard: Create a 1/1 colorless Eldrazi Scion creature token. It has "Sacrifice this creature: Add C."
2/3

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
C'mon y'all it's obvious. They're very clearly going to have a card that removes the art, and they'll have a punch out token blank white square to put over the art, and a thinner one to put over the bottom to cover the artist's name.

I don't know what it is either, but I do hope it's cool. Maybe it will remove the mana value from the card, I don't know if we've ever had that

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Another leak. It's a picture of some artwork and basically confirms something that we had all been expecting for quite a while in terms of the lore of the set for Crimson Vow. Could also allude to a possible death of a named character.

u4qpj2zfqpv71.jpg

The full text is "The bride pledges her heart to the groom and he, his undying affection to her. Blood and famine, violence and peace—In eternal life and through moment's struggle, the two shall rule this land until its people are no more. The Heron's blood make it so."

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda.......pretty meh on the return to Innistrad conceptually if
They really repeat the 'kill off the angel protector' line again.

With Avacyn being a Sorin construct it kinda made sense, especially in the greater context of the gatewatch storyline and Nahiri and Sorin's promise being broken....but as of now, It's not like the plane was 'reset' after Emrakul was sealed a la Avacyn Restored, either, so, assuming Sigarda does die (not necessarily the case, by any means), it seems to imply her angelic protection/devotion-power of eventual rebirth gets stolen/absorbed by the vamps, and Innistrad is fucked....first by the Vamps, and then the vamps running out of food and dying, lol.

Liesa, especially newly reborn/arisen and with her linkage to the demons meaning they'll keep coming back too, can't hope to take on the task by herself, especially with her flight basically gone

Last edited:
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Next thread

Magic: the Gathering |OT| Innistrad: Crimson Vow - The Red Wedding

20211027_160929.jpg

Arena Release Date: November 11, 2021
Prerelease Date: November 12–18, 2021
Paper Release Date: November 19, 2021

Previous thread
Arena thread
Product info
Where to find previews
Card image gallery
Variant image gallery
Mechanics
Next set: Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty
Story archive
Premier events schedule

MTG_Discord_invite_3.png

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Magic: the Gathering is a Trading Card Game, the first of its kind, developed by Richard Garfield and his playtesters for the gaming company Wizards of the Coast in 1993. You and your opponents play the role of dueling planeswalkers, wizards able to travel between dimensions known as planes to gather unique magic. Using customized decks made up of your spells, the creatures you can summon, your mana bonds with lands, and even other planeswalkers you can call in to help out, you try to defeat your foes.

Last time in Magic, the denizens of the gothic horror plane of Innistrad came together in the Harvesttide Festival to ward off the oncoming endless night. However, their ritual was interrupted by the vampire lord Olivia Voldaren, who stole the Moonsilver Key needed to bring the day and instead invited everyone to her wedding. The union between her and Edgar Markov—news to the other Markovs—will bring the great vampires together under one rule, and bring further disaster to the humans of Innistrad.

Innistrad sets are focused on the graveyard, transforming double-faced cards, and monsters. Spirits, zombies, vampires, and werewolves call the plane their home, plus all manners of miscellaneous nasties. After last set focused on werewolves, this set will focus on vampires.

In the Standard format, the following sets will be legal.
  • Zendikar Rising
  • Kaldheim
  • Strixhaven: School of Mages
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms
  • Innistrad: Midnight Hunt
  • Innistrad: Crimson Vow

Banned cards in Standard.

GETTING STARTED
Official guide to starting Magic

To see what a game is like, check out Geek and Sundry's Spellslinger series, where Day[9] battles various geek celebrities, often losing, using simple and easy to follow decks.

For the digital card game, you can play Magic Arena potentially for free. It has its own thread.

For the physical card game, there are many ways to get on board. If you go to a local game store (LGS), the owner will give you a simple Welcome Deck for free, after demonstrating how to play the game. This set has 100-card Commander decks that are meant to serve as an introduction, though note that these cards can't be used for most formats outside of Commander, a casual multiplayer format. Challenger Decks (2021 edition) will allow you to compete in Standard tournaments using real decks for, before release, much cheaper than buying the cards individually. Note that many cards in these have rotated out, however.

The big thing to look forward to, however, is the Prerelease event held for every set. Check if in-person events are back at your local game store. Find local game stores here.

QsEYMlzbt2.jpg

Arena Release Date: November 11, 2021
Prerelease Date: November 12–18, 2021
Paper Release Date: November 19, 2021
Card image gallery
Variant image gallery
Mechanics

Mechanics coming later

OTHER THREADS
Innistrad: Midnight Hunt
Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms
Strixhaven: School of Mages
Kaldheim
Zendikar Rising
Core Set 2021
Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths
Theros: Beyond Death
Throne of Eldraine
Core Set 2020
War of the Spark
Ravnica Allegiance
Guilds of Ravnica
Core Set 2019
Dominaria
Arena on Gaming side
Arena Closed Beta on Gaming side
Rivals of Ixalan
Great Designer Search 3
First Hangouts OT
http://www.**********/forum/showthread.php?t=1424890 - Last GAF thread - Ixalan

RESOURCES
Official articles - Nicknamed the Mothership, these articles are the primary source of news. Regular columns are Making Magic, written by the head designer, Mark Rosewater (aka MaRo); and Magic Story, which tells the story, written by various authors. Other articles are used for card previews.
Blogatog - Tumblr ran by Mark Rosewater where he answers questions, updates very frequently.
Drive to Work - Mark Rosewater's weekly podcast about Magic that he literally records as he drives to work. Two episodes are released every Friday.
MTG Reddit - The best place to get new card information. The community sucks, though.
Gatherer - The official method of searching through released cards.
Scryfall - The better search method, with bigger cards.
Game store locator

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.