Card image gallery
Variant image gallery
Mechanics
Next set: Strixhaven: School of Mages
Story archive
Premier events schedule

MTG_Discord_invite_3.png

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Magic: the Gathering is a Trading Card Game, the first of its kind, developed by Richard Garfield and his playtesters for the gaming company Wizards of the Coast in 1993. You and your opponents play the role of dueling planeswalkers, wizards able to travel between dimensions known as planes to gather unique magic. Using customized decks made up of your spells, the creatures you can summon, your mana bonds with lands, and even other planeswalkers you can call in to help out, you try to defeat your foes.

Last time in Magic, planeswalkers fought over the fate of Zendikar, with Nissa successfully using the power of Lithoform Core to cure the plane of its Eldrazi corruption but leaving its wild Roil intact. Now, we arrive in the Norse mythology world of Kaldheim, a plane that has its own distinct realms, accessible through the World Tree. Normally, few can traverse the realms, but it is foretold that an invasion will happen. The form it takes will be beyond anything those of Kaldheim can imagine.

Kaldheim will feature two introductory Commander decks and Set Boosters.

In the Standard format, the following sets will be legal.
  • Throne of Eldraine
  • Theros: Beyond Death
  • Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths
  • Core Set 2021
  • Zendikar Rising
  • Kaldheim
Banned cards in Standard.
Yeah, it's a lot. I'm sure no bans will come out of this set.

GETTING STARTED
Official guide to starting Magic

To see what a game is like, check out Geek and Sundry's Spellslinger series, where Day[9] battles various geek celebrities, often losing, using simple and easy to follow decks.

For the digital card game, you can play Magic Arena potentially for free. It has its own thread.

For the physical card game, there are many ways to get on board. If you go to a local game store (LGS), the owner will give you a simple Welcome Deck for free, after demonstrating how to play the game. The Magic Arena Starter Kit (Core Set 2021 edition) has two simple decks that you do not shuffle so you and a friend can get a guided tour through how a game of Magic can work. Planeswalker Decks are pre-constructed decks with four brand new cards, including unique planeswalker cards and one additional booster pack. While not particularly strong, they will allow you to actually play casual games. This set has 100-card Commander decks that fill the same role. Challenger Decks (2020 edition) will allow you to compete in Standard tournaments using real decks for, before release, much cheaper than buying the cards individually. However, much of these decks will have rotated out of Standard.

If you want to build your own deck, a Deck Builder's Toolkit (Theros: Beyond Death edition) will give you a decent starting collection of cards, including 125 fixed cards, 100 basic lands, four booster packs, and perhaps most importantly, a good box for your cards.

The big thing to look forward to, however, is the Prerelease event held for every set. Well, not this time, because COVID-19. Your local game store might be doing something online regardless, so check them out. Find local game stores here.

9NPpnaBsWR.jpg

Arena Release Date: January 28, 2021
Prerelease Date: January 29–February 4, 2021
Paper Release Date: February 5, 2021
Card image gallery
Variant image gallery

Mechanics

More to come as they are revealed.

Foretell

en_81J0CN7vqR.png
alrundsepiphany.jpg
sarulfspackmate.jpg

Omens of the future run rampant on Kaldheim. When you foretell a spell during your turn, you pay (2) to exile it face down. Then, on a later turn, the promised moment arrives and you can cast it for the cost listed. The total cost of the spell will be the same as or more than casting it normally, but splitting up the cost gives you more flexibility.

Boast

en_R8KM8xLNmR.png

The warriors of Kaldheim have all kinds of stories to tell. In battle, they boast of their skills with abilities that can only activate after attacking. This can cover a variety of effects.

Snow
en_3zboiUYAz2.png
woodlandchasm.jpg
en_peyX60ObUL.png

Kaldheim is a land of snow, which influences the types of lands and spells you find. Snow lands produce snow mana, which some spells care about.

Sagas
en_OTRX9pRPX1.png
bindingtheoldgods.jpg

As expected from Norse mythology, sagas make a return. These enchantments have a different effect each turn, as the story plays out, and you sacrifice it once the story ends.

Tribes matter
elvishwarmaster.jpg
invasionofthegiants.jpg

en_a7qIu5hz1f.png

Kaldheim has a tribal theme, meaning cards will care about the creature types among your cards. With the changeling mechanic, you can fit in among any of those! Changelings are every creature type, whether it be archer or wall.

Double-Faced Gods
en_4LB031F7cD.png
en_P3ZZ5SEK0M.png

alrundgodofthecosmos.jpg
hakkawhisperingraven.jpg

The gods of Kaldheim are unique in that they can die. However, they make up for this with their flexibility. You can cast them either as a god, or as something else associated with them, whether it be a sword or a familiar.

Other
en_rQ7Sx8RJou.png

Last time we saw Kaya, she had tracked down Liliana after the events of War of the Spark but chose to leave her alone (unless this got retconned). With her ghost hunting skills, what could have drawn her to Kaldheim?

OTHER THREADS
Zendikar Rising
Core Set 2021
Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths
Theros: Beyond Death
Throne of Eldraine
Core Set 2020
War of the Spark
Ravnica Allegiance
Guilds of Ravnica
Core Set 2019
Dominaria
Arena on Gaming side
Arena Closed Beta on Gaming side
Rivals of Ixalan
Great Designer Search 3
First Hangouts OT
http://www.**********/forum/showthread.php?t=1424890 - Last GAF thread - Ixalan

RESOURCES
Official articles - Nicknamed the Mothership, these articles are the primary source of news. Recommended columns are Making Magic, written by the head designer, Mark Rosewater (aka MaRo); Magic Story, which tells the story, written by various authors; and Play Design, written by various Magic developers. The other articles generally discuss deck building.
Blogatog - Tumblr ran by Mark Rosewater where he answers questions, updates very frequently.
Drive to Work - Mark Rosewater's weekly podcast about Magic that he literally records as he drives to work. Two episodes are released every Friday.
MTG Reddit - The best place to get new card information. The community sucks, though.
Gatherer - The official method of searching through released cards.
Scryfall - The better search method, with bigger cards.
Game store locator

9pBe5yHRmM.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting there will be a live unveiling event happening at 9 AM PT this morning (in about 9 hours)
www.twitch.tv

Magic - Twitch

An Ode to Magic | Modern Horizons 3 Debut

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Well, here we go.

Do we know if there's just one more Planeswalker besides Kaya this time around?

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
The showcase styles look so good. I am ... probably going to dump some gold on them in Arena.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Really hoping that they don't do Snow/Snow basics in this set. Based on their design ethos, they will not make any cards that punish you for playing them, and thus will be "strictly" better than normal basics for the entirety of Pioneer and their entire life in Standard

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I've never used the dual sided cards in paper. Is it true that you have to use sleeves when playing them?

In Arena I always wondered why the dual side cards don't "reveal" themselves on top of the library. Assumed that is how it worked in paper.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never used the dual sided cards in paper. Is it true that you have to use sleeves when playing them?

In Arena I always wondered why the dual side cards don't "reveal" themselves on top of the library. Assumed that is how it worked in paper.
You have to sleeve or use checklist cards (this was the case for shadow over innistrad or ixalan for instance)

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I don't mind DFCs on paper with sleeves, you can usually flip them within a couple seconds with muscle memory.

Unsleeved with checklist cards is awkward as hell though.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Planeswalker Tibalt seems over-costed and kinda narrow design-wise, unless he's trying to become the next grixis big-bad. His -3 seems kinda risky too - you get their biggest threat/creature, but are unlikely to have mana to re-cast it yourself for another turn....I suppose you can still do it next turn even if he dies, but.....meh?

His borderless art also just looks....bad, lol.

Valki seems interesting, albeit more commander focused, and considering you can whiff or get little value out of it....though I suppose that's what the bounce/flicker mechanic is for.

Snow dual-tap lands are interesting.

Reveal stream part 3
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png
unknown.png

New mechanic, boast, which is an ability that can only be activated if the creature attacked.

unknown.png

New mechanic, foretell. Similar to adventure without the front part of the spell; or echo; or a spell morph.

unknown.png

unknown.png

There are five mythic rare foretell cards total.

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
where are the instant foretell cards so I can officially say "you've just activated my trap card" in a mtg game

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played MTG in a hot minute (Core Set 2019 Prerelease was the last event I attended), but I'm very excited for this set. Might even pick up a box if I'm feeling frisky.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I totally didn't think of the fact that Vorinclex applies to putting counters on planeswalkers, or Experience counters, or things that aren't +/- 1 or poison counters.

Silly of me.

Atraxa (or any superfriend) EDH decks gonna scoop him up like candy.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Norse mythology has quickly become zombies, in that it's kinda overplayed at this point.

Which sucks for Wizards I guess, since they started planning this like 2-3 years ago I'm sure.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, count me among the people that tuned out for a bit (back around Ikoria) but have my interest piqued again here. All the mechanics seem nicely evocative, and I'm always a sucker for tribal stuff.

Tibalt going from 2 mana to 7 mana is a helluva jump. Fun and simple card though.

Magic Story summary - Episode 1: Travelers; MTG Arena mobile early access
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
magic.wizards.com

Episode 1: Travelers | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

The planeswalker Kaya hunts a terrifying monster on the Viking plane of Kaldheim.

* We start off with Kaya already accompanying a group of Omenspeakers to investigate strange monster attacks near a fishing village. Omenspeakers aren't warriors, but are driven by discovery; they are still able to fight, though.
* Kaya was paid by an anonymous patron to come investigate this monster. Aside from the money, she figures that as Gatewatch, fighting monsters is probably something she should be doing.
* They go into the woods. Kaya talks to Inga (whose card is above) and a man named Asi, who notably seems to be aware of Kaya's nature as a foreigner and explains things to her like the squirrel of the World Tree, Toski.
* They come across a cave with strange metal in the walls. Kaya has a hunch that they shouldn't touch that.
* At the end of the cave, they come across a strange monster eating—or rather absorbing—a bear. The description matches Vorinclex.
* Vorinclex charges them, easily killing two and quickly regenerating from their spear attacks. Inga uses a spell to hold him in place and Kaya cuts off an arm with a ghost slash. This works, breaking through his regeneration, but then he absorbs a man into his body and regrows the arm.
* They fight more, but then Asi reveals his true form as Alrund and declares the fight over, putting a barrier between Vorinclex and them.
* Vorinclex flees through a wall, which distorts like liquid metal, and Alrund explains he went to another realm, so Kaya can't follow after him that way.
* The Omenspeakers are in awe of Alrund, but Kaya is angry that he let Vorinclex get away. Alrund is bemused by the irreverent way she's addressing him, and gifts her with the ship Cosima to traverse the realms and track him down. Alrund plans to consult with the other gods before acting further.
* The Omenspeakers fear this is an omen of a Doomskar—a collision of realms that always leads to war.

~~~

Posting this news here too

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI

My first reaction is a hearty thumbs up because I play a TON of clones. But then I realized that in the hands of an evil player, this is going to be insanely obnoxious, doubtlessly creating all kinds of infinite loops. I've seen Riku do dumb shit, and this has the same CMC, costs 2 fewer colors, is harder to remove, and doesn't require mana to trigger.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
At least I am enjoying the theme of this one. I couldn't even tell you what Zendikar Rising's theme was supposed to be (I'm a casual player.. I don't read the books or whatever).

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
yeah that story is WAY more brutal in tone with the descriptions bordering on body horror, so I suggest you read it instead of doing the story summary this time

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Have we talked about how dumb the face Borderless Tibalt is making is?

I saw a youtube comment that said "Kaldheim can't be the most metal plane in Magic, there's Phyrexia!"
Well... there you go.

I'm like 80% sure that was a pun, since it made me audibly groan out loud when I read it.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Planeswalker Tibalt seems over-costed and kinda narrow design-wise, unless he's trying to become the next grixis big-bad. His -3 seems kinda risky too - you get their biggest threat/creature, but are unlikely to have mana to re-cast it yourself for another turn....I suppose you can still do it next turn even if he dies, but.....meh?

It's a straight-up exile, so the threat is gone regardless of whether or not they get rid of Tibalt. You don't have to recast it, you can just blank their threats.

The fact you can recast it later is just pure upside to something you want to be doing anyway. Only real complaint would be it can't hit other planeswalkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.