• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
There already are Planeswalkers with the "X can be your commander" text, and the flip-walkers from Origins/bouncing baby Bolas.

If you mean just a format change to allow all Planeswalkers as commanders, try Oathbreaker.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Some nice cards. Happy to see Ugin make an appearance. Can't wait to read the lore behind this battle.

Blast Zone

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Another leak
n3qgs6l2q9s21.jpg

Explosion zone enters the battlefield with 1 counter
Tap: add colourless mana
XX, tap: put X counter over explosion zone
3, tap: sacrifice explosion zone: destroy all nonland permanents with converted cost equal to the number of counters on explosion zone.

Engineered Explosives on a land? Seems really good.

Planewide Celebration
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
7mxv2zzgt9s21.jpg

Planar Celebration 5GG

Sorcery. (RARE)

Choose 4. You can choose the same mode more than once.

*Create a creature citizen token 2/2 that's all colours

*Return a permanent card from your graveyard to your hand

*Proliferate

*Gain 4 life

Spotlight Act 3

Yub nub

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
7mxv2zzgt9s21.jpg

Planar Celebration 5GG

Sorcery. (RARE)

Choose 4. You can choose the same mode more than once.

*Create a creature citizen token 2/2 that's all colours

*Return a permanent card from your graveyard to your hand

*Proliferate

*Gain 4 life

Spotlight Act 3

Yub nub

Strange all those people celebrating Nicol Bolas destroying Ravnica...

>.>

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Proliferate 4 times could be crazy. 7 mana is a lot, but with Nissa + Ramp this could be very playable.

The power level on this set seems unusually high.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play enough green ramp to know if Planar celebration can work. But if you're trying to jank out a Simic ascendancy deck that's gotta be on your radar.

Sep 14, 2018
If it could blow up tokens for 3 when it comes down it would mean Amass would have no chance in constructed, it probably doesnt anyway but no need to mess up the new mechanic like that.

EE on a land is crazy and unexpected and useful and fun. I like it.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Have Wizards said what happens in Arena when sets start cycling out of standard? There isn't a modern format they can be absorbed into like with physical cards

I don't think they've been upfront regarding estimated timelines for when the format will be rolled out and how older sets will be added, but they have said that there will be a new "Standard Plus" format. The rumor is that it will eventually include everything from Shadows Over Innistrad and after.

Even if they don't immediately introduce all the older sets that will eventually be in the format I'm sure they'll at least do some kind of introduction to Standard Plus this fall, maybe just Standard plus Ixalan, Dominaria, and M19.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think they've been upfront regarding estimated timelines for when the format will be rolled out and how older sets will be added, but they have said that there will be a new "Standard Plus" format. The rumor is that it will eventually include everything from Shadows Over Innistrad and after.

Even if they don't immediately introduce all the older sets that will eventually be in the format I'm sure they'll at least do some kind of introduction to Standard Plus this fall, maybe just Standard plus Ixalan, Dominaria, and M19.

The rumor is entirely conjecture based on nothing pretty much. The fact is, we have literally no idea what they're planning and if they'll even add older sets not currently released.

Oct 28, 2017
It's not a rumor that SOI was programmed into Arena. It is just speculation at this point what Standard+ will be.

I understand that. But we don't know what their plans are, and when you say there's a single rumor, people are very likely to believe it is true. There's no actual reason to believe this rumor is true, so it shouldn't be repeated.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a rumor that SOI was programmed into Arena. It is just speculation at this point what Standard+ will be.

We know that it functionally existed, but we don't know that full art, sound and animation exists for the set. I kind of suspect not, since it was only used in very limited alpha tests.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
We know that it functionally existed, but we don't know that full art, sound and animation exists for the set. I kind of suspect not, since it was only used in very limited alpha tests.

Amonkhet had 3D animations and effects but I don't remember Kaladesh having them.

Edit: never mind, I found a video on YouTube of an animation for Torrential Gearhulk

Last edited:

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I understand that. But we don't know what their plans are, and when you say there's a single rumor, people are very likely to believe it is true. There's no actual reason to believe this rumor is true, so it shouldn't be repeated.

I was basing that post off this article that quotes someone who works at WotC saying that there is going to be a Standard Plus format.

Unless they've corrected that statement it seems like a fairly sure bet.

As far as the exact sets that will be included, we don't know that with 100% certainty, but why else would they coded SOI into the game? I don't see the harm of sharing rumors that explicitly labeled as such. I don't see what harm it could possibly do, and if people don't understand what a rumor is that's on them. Policing the sharing of publicly available information because someone might believe a clearly labeled rumor is ridiculous.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Very early alpha testing. We have no information that suggests that they coded SOI into the game at any time after the initial private beta launch.

Even if it was used for early testing wouldn't that reduce the work load of bringing it to the game proper? I imagine the hardest part is just making sure the block's unique mechanics work.

It seems like reasonable conjecture that the new format could potentially start though. Clearly not a guarantee, but I don't see why anyone would care that people are speculating about it based on what we know.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it was used for early testing wouldn't that reduce the work load of bringing it to the game proper? I imagine the hardest part is just making sure the block's unique mechanics work.

Well sure, it might be easier to fully implement SOI over other non-standard sets. But that doesn't mean that it is "free" for them to put it in. The fact that it would be easier to implement will figure into their cost-benefit analysis. But we don't have any public statements from WotC or the Arena team that puts the Standard Plus format starting at SOI over some other point, like Origins, Kaladesh, or Ixalan. There are different costs and benefits to putting the start of "Standard Plus" at any of these points and we don't know enough of their thinking to even make an educated guess at where it might land.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
The only reason people think SOI could be in standard plus is because during beta if you looked in the .ini there was a entry called "Arena Modern" that listed SOI. SOI was never available to closed beta testers and we only ever saw them use three or four cards from the set when they played Gerry's pro tour winning Zombie deck on an early dev stream.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Well sure, it might be easier to fully implement SOI over other non-standard sets. But that doesn't mean that it is "free" for them to put it in. The fact that it would be easier to implement will figure into their cost-benefit analysis. But we don't have any public statements from WotC or the Arena team that puts the Standard Plus format starting at SOI over some other point, like Origins, Kaladesh, or Ixalan. There are different costs and benefits to putting the start of "Standard Plus" at any of these points and we don't know enough of their thinking to even make an educated guess at where it might land.

Even someone who has a great grasp of various Standard environments over the past few years has no ability to even make a guess?

I just started playing recently so I'm not saying I personally have any insight, but it seems extreme to say that no one can even speculate.

Anyway, like I said, even if no one who comments ends up being right I just don't see the harm in talking about it.

The only reason people think SOI could be in standard plus is because during beta if you looked in the .ini there was a entry called "Arena Modern" that listed SOI. SOI was never available to closed beta testers and we only ever saw them use three or four cards from the set when they played Gerry's pro tour winning Zombie deck on an early dev stream.

Surely there's some significance there. Obviously plans can change, but it's not people saying the new format will start with that set are baselessly conjecturing without any evidence.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Even someone who has a great grasp of various Standard environments over the past few years has no ability to even make a guess?

I just started playing recently so I'm not saying I personally have any insight, but it seems extreme to say that no one can even speculate.

Anyway, like I said, even if no one who comments ends up being right I just don't see the harm in talking about it.

Surely there's some significance there. Obviously plans can change, but it's not people saying the new format will start with that set are baselessly conjecturing without any evidence.

Well okay, maybe my wording wasn't the best. If you want to speculate or make a guess, sure, have at it. But the statement you made that started this conversation was you saying "rumor has it the format will start at SOI". The point is that you don't have any basis to say that there's a rumor that SOI is the starting point. Now you can say "I think SOI is the most likely starting point because reasons" but you can't imply that there is some valid and significant piece of information or community consensus that points at SOI as the starting point while disregarding any reasons or evidence for any other point.

Oct 28, 2017
Well okay, maybe my wording wasn't the best. If you want to speculate or make a guess, sure, have at it. But the statement you made that started this conversation was you saying "rumor has it the format will start at SOI". The point is that you don't have any basis to say that there's a rumor that SOI is the starting point. Now you can say "I think SOI is the most likely starting point because reasons" but you can't imply that there is some valid and significant piece of information or community consensus that points at SOI as the starting point while disregarding any reasons or evidence for any other point.

That's what I meant to say. I don't intend to shut down conversation either. I just want to make sure we're not sending the wrong message. SOI being in Standard Plus is not a rumor - it is a guess. Nothing more. It's not invalid, though. It's a fair guess.

Sep 14, 2018
There's no point speculating because there are several points where the new format could reasonably start from and they're not likely to talk about it for months so we'd just be going around in circles. The only thing they've specifically said is Modern would take years of work to implement on top of everything else they're doing so that's kind of ruled out.

Well and that thing about adding the sets back in when they were taken out but those were the words of notorious hack Chris Clay so they're worthless.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. I'm not sure if there's anything resembling a consensus that SOI will be the starting point (though I have read that in a few places). Rumor is a little misleading, more like whispers.

I'm fairly new to the current scene (jumped back in with Ixalan after not playing for years and years, and more or less skipped Dominaria and Guilds due to being busy with work), I didn't mean to imply that the community at large is behind the idea.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If we want to actually engage in speculation as to where it would start, I think would pick four reasonable starting points. M15, Origins, Kaladesh, and Ixalan. I can explain my reasoning here but suffice it to say it depends on what WotC values most.

I think the biggest question is "Does WotC want this new format to be something that becomes popular in tabletop Magic?" If so, then WotC needs a starting point that makes sense for the history of the game as a whole, not just Arena as product. If so, then M15 or Magic Origins make sense. M15 was the beginning of the new card frame and so there's some alignment here in the same way that they chose the starting point for Modern based on how the card frame changed. Magic Origins also makes sense based on its significance for the history of the game for its push of the Gatewatch and the fact that it avoids putting fetchlands in the format.

If they don't care about making the format work for paper, I think either Kaladesh or Ixalan works best. Ixalan has the advantage of being the "first" collectible set in the game after its public release (when you can start spending money on it). Kaladesh/Amonkhet can be stuck in if they want people to spend a little extra money on cards without putting in a whole lot of any extra work, but it's not quite the path of least resistance like Ixalan would be.

Personally I think Origins or Ixalan are the most likely. I'm not really sure how WotC values translating this new format to paper so I couldn't really pick between them.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
RIP

He was one of the more disposable ones. I figured he might be done after getting two good cards in quick succession.

Status
Not open for further replies.