• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should the portrayal of Female Protagonist change?

• Portraying Female protagonist are oke as they are now

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • Portraying Female protagonist have to change

Votes: 72 12.8%
  • Let them do whatever they want

Votes: 474 84.2%

• Total voters

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Everything what developers do when it comes to gender is fine, but when I see that my lady character is getting touched, intended or not intended I feel like ''Hey don't touch her''
Nah that's due to your (probably somewhat religious-conservative?) upbringing. Luckily you're never too old to change.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I think that's nuts.

By that logic, nothing is sexist design because you can't judge a character for how they look. It's excusing poor, gross designs because you want to see boobs.
In the context of the game or setting you can say it's sexist design; i.e. why would your defensive armour have holes in it for breasts?
But to simply say a female character shouldn't be dressed provocatively is sexist in and of itself, in my opinion
But this is a topic for another thread

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is one of the worst OPs I have ever read on Era...

Yikes at your reactions on female characters having sexual agency

Embarassing thread

Your take on Ellie having a kiss with Dina was especially awful. "She is like my daughter..." wtf...

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
Legit had to read the OP like, 3 times to make sure I was reading the insanity that was posted.

Are there really people out there that realize women have romantic and sexual desires of their own? Things like Ellie are great for the medium because it's a step in the right direction.

OP
OP
Basarili

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
OP, what the hell are you saying

When I saw the first posts I was ohboy this is not what I meant. I think this thread learned me not to make any thread anytime soon which will resolve around a discussion. Mainly due to the language barrier for not being able to correctly express myself.

It took me a few hours to make the thread.

I just want to make some points clear.

- Women can have sex in game (Not sure where I say they can't)
- The female characters I'm playing can have sex as long as it suits the context and same counts for male characters, but I think this is where my expression is understand differently. I'm not saying I'm against sex. Maybe I shouldn't have named any gender at all and use any word as ''daughter''.
- Lesson learned no difficult threads from me.
- I apoligize if I offended people.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I think that's nuts.

By that logic, nothing is sexist design because you can't judge a character for how they look. It's excusing poor, gross designs because you want to see boobs.
I see her point. Using a character's personality as the sole determining factor of dress would be a big mistake. You can have a reserved character who uses fashion to express herself, provocatively or otherwise. It's all about making it a believable choice and part of her character depth.

hassler

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I don't know about needing to have sex, but I think there's definitely a need for female characters to have well written romantic relations -sexual or otherwise. I find it weird that the current portrayal of a strong woman is one who doesn't need a partner. It just makes them less relateable.
Idk, maybe less relateable for you if you, but not for me. Why do you need it lol. In media, especially movies, women always needed love interests. It became super tiring and I liked that Disney/Pixar moved away from this trope. Also, I love Captain Marvel for this. And I'm glad games skip this dumb trope very often. People told me when I was a kid that I will have to marry someone, have children and take care of my family instead of my career. I did the opposite and I really appreciate media are different now and they're letting me know constantly that I'm not a weirdo, but... normal, just with different dreams and goals.
It's a game. Stop over thinking stuff and play the games.

This is the issue with gaming at the moment. People don't focus enough on the gameplay and how it hasn't evolved this gen besides a select few games. But all they care about is if their characters are going to have sex or not.
This +10000
Like... issue like this? Really?

Mandikiri

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Boston, MA.
You know...I wish people like OP stop over thinking things too much and just play the game. Why are you focusing on your character having sex or not? The hell OP?

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
How does that make it any more acceptable?

Maybe that's why he posted it, to learn something and to share something from within. The wording might just seem a tad strange, maybe as a Muslim this is a very touchy thing, I really don't know but it feels like that because he feels the neccesity to share his roots before sharing his story, please tell me OP!

Never mind... seems like you already got banned, pity really. I don't think you meant any harm at all. Hooray for tolerance. Since when does asking questions equal sexism?

Last edited:

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
dzfLa4E.gif

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to see sex in games. It's always shit. The classy thing to do is imply it, like with Nate + Chloe in UC2.

Romance is fine though. And yes, a female protag should be allowed to have a romantic interest that isn't some cute lesbian.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I know how you feel OP because a long time ago, I felt the same way and thought I was being "protective". The thing is, it is inherently problematic. I want you to ask yourself what are fundamental reasons that triggers different feelings for male and female protagonist when put through the same situation?

The answer you will find is most likely a combination of historic depiction of women in pop culture and how we, the men, have by and large seldom had to empathize with a female protagonist and see them as whole human beings with faults, desires, strengths and weaknesses. Instead have mostly perceived women through the eyes of other men and they are, more often than not, held up as paragons of virtue whose "independence" is reliant on her ability to remain asexual amidst the temptations. It is quintessentially slut shaming.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
They like each other and it's a kiss, but when Ellie was kissing in the Last of Us: Part 2 trailer it felt awkward. Maybe I saw Ellie as my daughter and now she was kissing some character who has an ex boyfriend standing there watching them.
Ellie is a strong independent woman why does she has to be in a situation like that?

You and memoryman should talk through these protective feelings you have for video game characters together.

Last edited:

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
I see her point. Using a character's personality as the sole determining factor of dress would be a big mistake. You can have a reserved character who uses fashion to express herself, provocatively or otherwise. It's all about making it a believable choice and part of her character depth.
I agree. Context is important across the whole thing though. Personality isn't the only aspect but it's a very large one. When women in real life dress provocatively it's related to culture and fashion and a dozen other things. When nearly all videogame women dress provocatively it ignores all this entirely. Saying Kasumi's or Quiet's outfits don't match their personality isn't the whole story, but it isn't slut shaming. Those provocative outfits were designed for titilation and their inclusion reduces the characters to objects.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I can only really say what my opinion is of women and sex as I am unclear what OP is on about. I fucking love women who like sex. It opens up more ways to spend a Sunday. Also, I want to play Drakengard 3 now.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ellie is a strong independent woman why does she has to be in a situation like that?

Because she is ment to be a human character which tend to be in all kinds of different situations and also have a sexuality if you let them. Sadly women are repressed in many countries of the world, but i thought the netherlands would be pretty open minded when it comes to sexuality, OP.

It's a shame female sexuality isn't represented well in most games, they are like saints/nuns (even when they are not dressed like those), when it comes to sex. It's unrealistic.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't this thread be locked considering the OP's ban? Strikes me as unfair to continue this discussion when the OP isn't in a situation to defend his position anymore.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Geez you gotta get more comfortable with kissing from females. It's not a damn checklist they have to get through before a kiss is justified. And look at who is telling you this I don't consider myself an expert but this is just uncomfortable to read. I hope you work this out before any female kids you might have get old enough to start getting into relationships

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Why was he banned? I feel he made this in ignorance and even apologized, essentially admitting it while saying he learned from the thread.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I agree. Context is important across the whole thing though. Personality isn't the only aspect but it's a very large one. When women in real life dress provocatively it's related to culture and fashion and a dozen other things. When nearly all videogame women dress provocatively it ignores all this entirely. Saying Kasumi's or Quiet's outfits don't match their personality isn't the whole story, but it isn't slut shaming. Those provocative outfits were designed for titilation and their inclusion reduces the characters to objects.
I agree and I think you and Linde are mostly on the same page but there's probably some misinterpretation somewhere.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
At least now I know Drakengard 3 look worth playing. Drakengard Collection when Taro?

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
You are fucking strange if you feel weird watching a playable female main character have sex in a game but it is okay when a man does it

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
I don't get it... wasn't this place supposed to be tolerant or something? He's asking a fucking question and clearly has difficulty expressing himself correctly. Either give OP a break or lock the thread.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
tbh remove sex from games until we reach photorealism, its always too uncaney valley

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
I don't get it... wasn't this place supposed to be tolerant or something? He's asking a fucking question and clearly has difficulty expressing himself correctly. Either give OP a break or lock the thread.
Nope. He gets banned and we all point and laugh at his ignorance.

This is how we make the world a better place!

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I don't think this thread was made in bad faith, just reeked of toxic attitude in the earnest hope of it be rationally pointed out why it is so, even though it is blatantly obvious to most us, here and now. OP is not alone with that attitude and I don't know how much his culture plays a part in this (because a lot incels are white and christian).

I know there are a few Era members who think anyone who did not grow up from the womb perfect, believing as they do in ways of openness and equity are shit human beings and are unworthy of their time. However, there are many more Era members, from personal experience, who understand that people come with all sorts of flaws and that they are capable of learning to be better, especially when they do not keep on deliberately flaming, trolling, gas lighting or doubling down on their regressive POV (like Boogie or Vavra). This is because these members are capable empathy given their own background. As someone who survived being red-pilled, I more often than not realize when a problematic theme presents itself in bad faith.

I just hope OP understands that women are people too, flaws and all, because the root of his issues are much deeper than just games.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It would be cool of course, but most "gamers" aren't mature enough

It would be a shitshow. Gamergate showed us how far we are from the ideal.

See the reactions to Ellie having a romantic partner in TLoU 2

We will get there, eventualy. Slowly and steady.

Sorry but fuck this exact same "slow and steady" "it would be a shitshow" "the world isn't ready" narrative that's been used over and over and over to stall or even roll back all and any social progress for over a century now.

Let's fucking stop walking on eggshells, or the equally fragile white male egos.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I agree and I think you and Linde are mostly on the same page but there's probably some misinterpretation somewhere.
Seemingly. My argument was for a characters clothing choices in isolation of other factors
Though I do believe there is a place for titillation in games media

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to make some points clear.

- Women can have sex in game (Not sure where I say they can't)
- The female characters I'm playing can have sex as long as it suits the context and same counts for male characters, but I think this is where my expression is understand differently. I'm not saying I'm against sex. Maybe I shouldn't have named any gender at all and use any word as ''daughter''.
- Lesson learned no difficult threads from me.
- I apoligize if I offended people.

I feel like people deliberately ignored this post to justify dumping on this OP. The fact that I'm in the only one who even quoted this says a lot.