• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
How are so many fucking people here anti capitalist but can't figure out that an action can be legal but unethical?

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
The house has direct ties to her mother's side of the family, it's her childhood home that from the letter he suggests she clearly cares about.

Look if he wanted to sell it, maybe that's a different story

But there's no talk of selling from anyone

Ultimately obviously legally he can do whatever, morally he should give it to her for a myriad of reasons, including that it's lineage is to his dead wife's family.

Then when we add in the other option is the childhood friend of your daughter that you hooked up with a her wedding and then rushed into an engagement and moved her in and who has said crazy shit like I've loved this house since I was a child

Then the house especially should go to the daughter

If we give legitimacy to generational inheritance I think we should value spousal inheritance above parent-child. You have a choice in who you marry, who your parents are is random. It's his house. And if the mother *really* wanted to give her house to her daughter instead of her husband, she would have written a will to that effect. Maybe she just never got around to it, or died unexpectedly? But without further info I'll assume she intended to give the house to her husband, who as someone else mentioned, half-owned it anyway.... I don't know what your point is with the second part of your post

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
You're not answering my question.
You weren't asking me, but if this couple does have kids, then those kids (who are completely hypothetical anyway) are not morally entitled to that specific house. That house was passed down from the mother's line. It's not the daughter's responsibility to provide for them.

But that sort of ultimatum is fucking nuts from the daughter. Give me your house or never see your grandchildren again? Da fuq.
He's lucky he even has a chance to see his grandson at all. Fuck him.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
If we give legitimacy to generational inheritance I think we should value spousal inheritance above parent-child. You have a choice in who you marry, who your parents are is random. It's his house. And if the mother *really* wanted to give her house to her daughter instead of her husband, she would have written a will to that effect. Maybe she just never got around to it, or died unexpectedly? But without further info I'll assume she intended to give the house to her husband, who as someone else mentioned, half-owned it anyway.... I don't know what your point is with the second part of your post

I really doubt she'd be like yeah hun leave the house to our child's friend you married despite knowing her since she was 10, instead of our daughter

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
The daughter comes off like an asshole.

Holding the grandkids hostage just so that she can relive some nostalgia through this childhood home.

Dude is better off standing his ground and passing it off to his current wife and future kids.

I'm honestly hoping this was a fake troll story or something.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Also you keep saying to split the house but outside of selling its money values, there is no realistic way to split a house among two families. The daughter doesn't want the house's financial value in money, she wants to live in the actual house because it has sentimental value.

When does she expect to live in the house though? He's 50 now. Let's say he lives till 90 and stays in the house. Say the daughter is 25; she would be 65 before she could live in it if she waits until she inherits it from his death. If she's 30, she'd be 70.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Holding the grandkids hostage just so that she can relive some nostalgia through this childhood home.

Dude is better off standing his ground and passing it off to his current wife and future kids.

Guy is a creepy, I wouldn't let any child near him with house or without house

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
If it's any consolation to the daughter I'm sure the dad will piss away the house before he dies so that none of them get it, he doesn't seem to have good decision making

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Whether or not these stories are fake doesn't even matter. The way they bring out defense forces for some of the most absurd stuff is worthwhile.

People are REALLY messed up. And I just think its of some value to be reminded of that by discussions like this.

Definitely. I've had to side-eye a lot of posts in here. So many hiding behind "well it's legal" defense..... (purely for the marriage aspect)

As if the USA isn't trending in a direction that could potentially make even worse stuff legal very soon.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Every time someone comes into this thread and weighs in on the daughters supposed entitlement while ignoring the likely grooming from the father I die a little more inside.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The age is irrelevant here.

That's not the reason she's withholding the grandkids from him. It's because of the house.

It wouldn't have made a difference if his new spouse was 25 or 45.

The problem isn't the age, it's the fact he knows his wife since she was a kid playing at his house

We can't say the daughter would react the same if the situation was completely different

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah she probably doesn't even call her childhood friend mom!

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
How is what she's doing more fucked up than fucking and marrying her childhood friend whom he's known since she was a literal child.

How well does one usually know their kids' friends? I understand Musk marrying his stepdaughter who he literally raised being weird, but if a parent knows of a friend but just knows their name and has little to no interaction with them and 20 years later happen to meet again and hook up, is that weird?

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
When does she expect to live in the house though? He's 50 now. Let's say he lives till 90 and stays in the house. Say the daughter is 25; she would be 65 before she could live in it if she waits until she inherits it from his death. If she's 30, she'd be 70.
Why does that matter? 65 is young these days. If she also lived to 90 you're talking about her arguing the case for where she wants to spend her retirement, for a quarter of a century, in her childhood home that she adores. Just because she wouldn't benefit immediately doesn't mean it isn't worth considering now.

Mar 19, 2021
Regardless of who the father married, the daughter has every right to want some answers on what he plans to do with the house.

The only reason the dad has the house in the first place is that his in-laws passed it to him and his first wife. When something of that value is passed down, there is some intention it will remain in the family.

Because of that, I can't blame the daughter for some ultimatums. Her willingness to go this far is also justified because her father is going to marry someone her age.

No one has a right to inheritance. The father is doing some fucked up things here but no one is entitled to anything.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Every time someone comes into this thread and weighs in on the daughters supposed entitlement while ignoring the likely grooming from the father I die a little more inside.
💯

How well does one usually know their kids' friends? I understand Musk marrying his stepdaughter who he literally raised being weird, but if a parent knows of a friend but just knows their name and has little to no interaction with them and 20 years later happen to meet again and hook up, is that weird?
"Has little to no interaction"? According to the dad, Madison "fell in love with the house" since middle school. So, clearly, she has been at the house a lot...

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Again this is a complicated situation and you've only got the side of the story from the disturbing guy who lusts after middle school girls.

I have no reason to assume otherwise unless his daughter decides to chime in via a follow-up story.

From what's presented in the OP, she comes off as an entitled brat.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
There are two issues, marrying the daughters friend and the estate.

Assuming the intent for the estate gift was always to "keep it in the family", the father is morally wrong on both.

Legally, I'd imagine he is doing nothing wrong, and honestly he probably has some sort of "grandparents rights" case maybe.

I would like to hear the daughters side tho. If she is only keeping the kids away/using them as a negotiating tactic to get their house, that's super shitty. But with only the fathers side for all we know he's always been an awful father. I don't really want my son around my mom because I don't trust her, but if someone only got her side I would probably come off like an ass.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You weren't asking me, but if this couple does have kids, then those kids are not morally entitled to that specific house. That house was passed down from the mother's line. It's not the daughter's responsibility to provide for them.
That's true. If the guy doesn't have kids, I'm all for the house going to the daughter. Kids or not I don't think the new wife is morally entitled to the house either way. But the fact is that the house was gifted to both the father and the mother. Moreover, the house is worth a lot of money. The kind of money that can significantly make a life easier. The daughter is already well-off. She can claim that she wants the house for sentimental value all she wants, but the fact is the house has value, and she would get that value. This cannot be ignored. I think the best moral outcome is for all the kids to get a piece of the pie.

I'm not because there are currently no other children anyway
There's likely no Vied for Victorian nor daughter nor house but that hasn't stopped you from making the thread and making 30+ posts in it.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
To be very clear when people talk about rape culture, this thread is part of that too. Child grooming and pedophilia are part of this. Every single person posting in this thread who is so willing to ignore the creepy fucking grooming situation is contributing to rape culture.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Why does that matter? 65 is young these days. If she also lived to 90 you're talking about her arguing the case for where she wants to spend her retirement, for a quarter of a century, in her childhood home that she adores. Just because she wouldn't benefit immediately doesn't mean it isn't worth considering now.

I'm not saying it's not worth considering the long term stakes of things; I'm just wondering if that's a feasible outcome that one should really set their heart on, especially when you're about to raise your own family and you'll be generating all sorts of memories in the house that you'll be living in while that happens during whatever this 30 or 40 year period that could be before you gain access to the other house. Does the house that you raised a family in and lived longer in have less meaning than the one you grew up in? I would think one's perspective would change. That said, she absolutely should be looking out for herself and her family for the long term and that includes a stake in a house valued at $2 million.

Jun 10, 2018
The fact this has to be asked......🤦🏾‍♂️

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
People giving the benefit of the doubt to this creepy dad is something alright

That this midlife crisis idiot has to think about how to do right by his daughter (and his late wife tbh) cause he's got young ass now is laughable

May 14, 2021
Again, this doesn't matter to the daughter.

She is withholding relationships with the grandkids over the house, not the new spouse.
The issue youre having is you're ignoring all the fictional stories from people who have no clue whatsoever about the history of these three people. You should really consider their embellishments and judge accordingly.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
That's true. If the guy doesn't have kids, I'm all for the house going to the daughter. Kids or not I don't think the new wife is morally entitled to the house either way. But the fact is that the house was gifted to both the father and the mother. Moreover, the house is worth a lot of money. The kind of money that can significantly make a life easier. The daughter is already well-off. She can claim that she wants the house for sentimental value all she wants, but the fact is the house has value, and she would get that value. This cannot be ignored. I think the best moral outcome is for all the kids to get a piece of the pie.

If the creep and judas have children I'd be fine with them being entitled to a reasonable buyout of the house but specifically only a buyout, not a stake in the house just financial payment

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Sure the new spouse being her childhood friend has nothing to do with it...

Don't get me wrong, if there's a follow-up to the story where she debunks his side and claims the age gap is the reason why she's willing to cut him off, then the dude deserves to get roasted.

According to the info in the OP though, that's not the reason provided, and there's no point in indulging in hypotheticals.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
But she would be fine with him giving the house to some other random woman instead of their daughter?

Come on, there's a huge difference between reasonable wishes a deceased spouse might have had like 'I hope you find love again after I'm gone' and 'please don't marry our kids schoolfriends'.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
To be very clear when people talk about rape culture, this thread is part of that too. Child grooming and pedophilia are part of this. Every single person posting in this thread who is so willing to ignore the creepy fucking grooming situation is contributing to rape culture.
You are the best.

Jun 10, 2018
I have never been more disturbed sharing space with randos on the internet than participating in this thread.

And this forum has had a couple of doozies.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
The thing is, she'd still have that problem even if the woman wasn't her childhood friend. Does she do the same if it was someone else?
Probably not, speaking as someone whose dad has a house that will likely go to his girlfriend rather than to me and my brothers. I'm not at all upset at this, because a) my dad's girlfriend was his own age and already had her own family (and grandkids), and b) my dad bought the house himself back in the day. If my dad had inherited the house from my deceased mom's parents and had then married my middle school classmate and the house would go to this classmate and her kids, I'd be disgusted and probably livid, yes. This surely cannot be that hard to grasp?

Or is it that the men of ResetEra empathize with old dudes fucking young brides more than they do with daughters... 🤔

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive commentary regarding grooming over multiple posts, prior severe infraction for dismissing concerns of sexualized images of minors
Come on, there's a huge difference between reasonable wishes a deceased spouse might have had like 'I hope you find love again after I'm gone' and 'please don't marry our kids schoolfriends'.

I don't think so- if they found love together then that's love. If he groomed her then that's fucked up and might change things, but I think it's more likely they just met each other later in life. Maybe they were more amenable due to having previously met when she was his daughter's childhood friend, but I don't think that in itself is an issue

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
I'm not saying it's not worth considering the long term stakes of things; I'm just wondering if that's a feasible outcome that one should really set their heart on, especially when you're about to raise your own family and you'll be generating all sorts of memories in the house that you'll be living in while that happens during whatever this 30 or 40 year period that could be before you gain access to the other house. Does the house that you raised a family in and lived longer in have less meaning than the one you grew up in? I would think one's perspective would change. That said, she absolutely should be looking out for herself and her family for the long term and that includes a stake in a house valued at $2 million.
Fair points. I agree with you that her perspective on where her true family home is may change over the next 30+ years, but expressing fears about being frozen out of her inheritance by her school friend marrying her dad is perfectly rational too, as is her feelings about the house in question in the moment.

May 14, 2021
So his 20 year plan all along was to groom the friend and then strike at his daughters wedding, where the woman may or not actually happen to be at?

Status
Not open for further replies.