• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ucanadam

Alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
It could look mobile game as it wants who cares if it has amazing gameplay and story? Which i assume will be fine looking game for switch at 60 fps 4 player coop with tons of effects and shit.

whatever

Pein

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This might be Dickish but I hope team ninja doesn't half ass this game.

The X-men legend and ultimate alliance games are some of my favorites. How big is team ninja btw? Because they have this, nioh 2 and I think another dead or alive, that seems like a lot.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
It looks low-mid budget, sure, but I prefer this artstyle a lot more compared to 1/2. Also better than mobile games, reminds me of the "wow, looks like a PS2 game!" comments by people that don't seem to remember how PS2 games looked.
Will be interesting when we see it with actual gameplay rather than special camera angles.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
How can it look like a mobile game haven't seen any predatory loot boxes in sight. Looks like an upgraded MUA too me. Guess a lot of the posts are from people who never played the series. Guess that's expected since the last ver was 10 yrs ago.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So your saying he got exactly the treatment he deserves? Fuck Cyclops.

giphy.gif

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Nicest surprised of TGA (which isn't really saying much, since anything bigger was already expected).

The main character models look good. I just find it strange that the trailer starts with Nebula with a very, very Karen Gillan looking face, but then nobody else looks like their movie counterpart. Graphically, I'd say the biggest problem is lighting and particle effects.

I can see why people are disappointed. Going from Spider Man to this is a big drop... but then again don't see Nintendo hyping this game as its one of its main titles for a couple of years, either. The priority just isn't the same. But calling it a "mobile game" is an exaggeration.

Somewhat related...Does any know what happened last night that this is the only thing Marvel at the show? It's seems like there where plans for more that fell through. It's just weird that the Russo's where there but nothing came of it and then the Avenger's 4 trailer releases only hours later.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Rewatching the trailer once more, I think that while the cutscenes look kinda meh, it's still a huge step up from the previous games. A small reminder that outside of the small amount of pre-rendered CG scenes, cutscenes in previous games were... mostly just textboxes. Gameplay is probably going to be the best looking the Marvel ARPG series has ever had.

I don't personally care for the artstyle, and it's definitely a deviation from the early 2000s "serious comics" artstyle of the previous entries, this is probably going to look really good in gameplay and in motion. Of course the deciding factor is if it actually plays good but yeah.
Yeah, that sounds like Ultron's Avengers Assemble/MvCI VA.....minus the filter.
weird that he was mixed in without the modulation
ah, that makes sense
Also Lockjaw and Crystal should be fun, teleportation and elemental generation make for fun movesets
I'm not sure Crystal would be much different from other energy projecting characters. Teleportation could be fun tho.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
So are these like good single player games?

I liked what I saw and I love the Guardians and Black Order

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
If I had to predict the roster, I'd say...
  • Avengers
    • Iron Man (confirmed)
    • Captain America (confirmed)
    • Hulk (confirmed)
    • Black Widow (confirmed)
    • Scarlet Witch (confirmed)
    • Falcon (confirmed)
    • Nick Fury (confirmed)
    • Ultron (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Hawkeye
    • Vision
    • Captain Marvel
    • Ms. Marvel
    • Squirrel Girl
    • She-Hulk
    • Ant-Man
    • Wasp
    • Moon Knight
    • Black Panther
      • Black Panther
      • Shuri
      • Okoye
      • M'Baku
      • Killmonger
      • Klaw
    • Thor
      • Thor (confirmed)
      • Loki
      • Hela
      • Valkyrie
      • Enchantress
      • Skurge
      • Korg
  • Defenders/Marvel Knights
    • Daredevil
    • Iron Fist
    • Jessica Jones
    • Luke Cage
    • Misty Knight
    • Colleen Wing
    • Kingpin
    • Elektra
    • Ghost Rider
      • Johnny Blaze
      • Robbie Reyes
    • Blade
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
    • Star-Lord (confirmed)
    • Rocket Raccoon (confirmed)
    • Groot (confirmed)
    • Gamora (confirmed)
    • Drax (confirmed)
    • Nebula (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Ronan (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Mantis
    • Adam Warlock
    • Yondu
    • Nova
      • Richard Rider
      • Sam Alexander
  • Black Order
    • Thanos (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Ebony Maw (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Proxima Midnight (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Black Dwarf/Cull Obsidian (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Corvus Glaive (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Supergiant (shown, but unsure if playable)
  • Spider-Man
    • Spider-Man (confirmed)
    • Green Goblin (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Sandman (shown, but unsure if playable)
    • Venom
    • Doctor Octopus
    • Carnage
    • Miles Morales
    • Spider-Gwen
  • Doctor Strange
    • Doctor Strange
    • Wong
    • Baron Mordo
    • Dormammu
  • X-Men
    • Wolverine (confirmed)
    • Cyclops
    • Storm
    • Magneto
    • Rogue
    • Nightcrawler
    • Jean Grey/Phoenix
    • Iceman
    • Deadpool
    • Cable
  • Inhumans
    • Crystal (confirmed)
    • Lockjaw (confirmed)
    • Black Bolt
    • Medusa
    • Karnak
    • Quake
    • Inferno
    • Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur
  • Fantastic Four
    • Mr. Fantastic
    • Invisible Woman
    • Human Torch
    • The Thing
    • Doctor Doom
    • Super-Skrull
Did I miss anyone?
Vision's confirmed btw, behind Wolverine during the cutscene where he first taunts the Sentinel.

So are these like good single player games?

I liked what I saw and I love the Guardians and Black Order
While the main attraction's the multiplayer, they're fun enough single player. I mostly played them first 4 games single player and they were fun.

Beedig

Feb 10, 2018
I rented the first game and remember having a decent time with it. I never got around to 2 because it came out around the time my local Blockbuster shut down. What made 2 a step down from the first game?

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I rented the first game and remember having a decent time with it. I never got around to 2 because it came out around the time my local Blockbuster shut down. What made 2 a step down from the first game?
It was made by different devs and it completely ignored the Galactus cliffhanger at the end of 1, and went for something based off Civil War instead. It looked and played worse than 1 as well.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It was made by different devs and it completely ignored the Galactus cliffhanger at the end of 1, and went for something based off Civil War instead. It looked and played worse than 1 as well.
There's a reason we haven't had a sequel in 10 years, it really was mediocre. I mean MUA1 was never a looker, but it was made in 2006. MUA2 looked... odd. Like they were going for realistic, but they didn't have the tech/reference points so it just looks off.

Also, the roster was a total joke compared to MUA1. You lost out on characters like Ghost Rider and Dr. Strange for... loooads of X-Men. I know people miss the X-Men in Marvel games, but damn, MUA2 was made up of like 60% repurposed X Men Legends characters.

And the level design! In MUA1 we fought on a Shield Hellicarrier, Hand HQ, Arcade's lair, and Dr. Doom's castle. In MUA2 you fought in... a laboratory. And a factory. And another laboratory.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
One interesting fact: the Wii version of Marvel Ultimate Alliance was supposed to have Link and Samus but they were scrapped at the end.

Will they try again to add Nintendo characters? and if so who will they choose this time?

Couldn't it be the FEW and HW team without Omega?

That doesn't sound too good though. Dunno how big and resource heavy Team Ninja actually is.

From Wikipedia:

"In 2013, following a reconstructing of Koei Tecmo, Team Ninja was split into two distinct development teams. They are dubbed Ichigaya Development Group 1 (led by Ninja Gaiden Sigma director Yosuke Hayashi) and Ichigaya Development Group 2 ( by Fatal Frame producer Keisuke Kikuchi).[4] "

So i guess one development group is working on Nioh 2 and the other one on Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

Otherwise this could mean Nioh 2 is not a 2019 title.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Rewatching the trailer once more, I think that while the cutscenes look kinda meh, it's still a huge step up from the previous games. A small reminder that outside of the small amount of pre-rendered CG scenes, cutscenes in previous games were... mostly just textboxes. Gameplay is probably going to be the best looking the Marvel ARPG series has ever had.

I don't personally care for the artstyle, and it's definitely a deviation from the early 2000s "serious comics" artstyle of the previous entries, this is probably going to look really good in gameplay and in motion. Of course the deciding factor is if it actually plays good but yeah.

weird that he was mixed in without the modulation

ah, that makes sense

I'm not sure Crystal would be much different from other energy projecting characters. Teleportation could be fun tho.
She's not really an energy projector though, it's more of she creates forces traditionally like a rain storm, heavy winds, wall of flame, etc

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

-Setting: MUA 1 had you literally go around the entire Marvel universe: Atlantis, Hell, Murder World, Asgard, Attilan, The Skrull Throne World, Latveria, etc; MUA 2 took place entirely on Earth and mostly in the USA due to the plot being based on Civil War, the most exotic locations you visit are the Negative Zone and Wakanda.
-Story: MUA 1 intertwined several sub plots into the main plot which is why you had to go to all these places, which let you make choices based on the sub plots for each stage that affected some things in the game and when you beat it you got a nice compilation of all the consequences your choices had on the marvel universe; MUA 2 was just Civil war with some creative liberties (Captain America has an army of robots?!) and had two barely different endings.
-Character customization: MUA1 had 4 different outfits with special stats for each character that turned them into different incarnations of them; MUA 2 had like one alternate per character and they sucked.
-Charm: MUA 1 had trivia challenges, huge dialogue trees, Stat bonuses if you made a Themed team and special convos between characters, MUA 2 didn't.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Team Ninja assisted, but it was primarily OF
Specifically Team Ninja was in charge of the giant boss battles. Which were the worst part of the game imo.

From Wikipedia:

"In 2013, following a reconstructing of Koei Tecmo, Team Ninja was split into two distinct development teams. They are dubbed Ichigaya Development Group 1 (led by Ninja Gaiden Sigma director Yosuke Hayashi) and Ichigaya Development Group 2 ( by Fatal Frame producer Keisuke Kikuchi).[4] "

So i guess one development group is working on Nioh 2 and the other one on Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

Otherwise this could mean Nioh 2 is not a 2019 title.
Even this isn't totally accurate since only Hayashi's group used the Team Ninja logo before the last restructure in 2016. Fatal Frame V for example wasn't credited to "Team Ninja" even though it used the DOA/NG engine and was developed by Kikuchi's Tecmo team (formerly Team Tachyon).

And now Kikuchi's moved over to take charge of Gust anyway, he's not at Team Ninja at all.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
There's no specific development group at Team Ninja, they're all led by Hayashi.
But Fatal Frame and some other IPs (Deception, Monster Rancher...) are now under the Team Ninja umbrella (after another restructuration, after Fatal Frame V).
It's hard to know what they're working on and how big they are tbh. Outside of their two main teams (action game (NG/Nioh) and fighting game with DOA), so far it was 2-3 small teams helping out on other stuff (engines for other teams, design for Warriors games, DOAX3/VV, doing DLC for DOA...), so I guess they expanded enough to do more small-mid tier projects again.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
The saddest thing about it is, leading up to the release, they tried to hype up the fuck out of penance, im sure it was a marvel mandate, but still, laughably sad.
I'd totally be both up and down for adding Speedball to the roster, though. just keep Penance away so Robbie can be happy

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks more similar too MUA 2. I wish they re mastered the X-Men legends 1&2. Those games were amazing.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Why the hell didn't they name drop Team Ninja in the trailer? lol
Team Ninja is mostly a mixed bag, isn't it?

Thinking of these guys, they have a wide array of hits and failures, its fascinating to see. They have good stuff like the original Ninja Gaiden, several Dead or Alive titles, Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword, Ni-Oh, Hyule Warriors which they co-developed. But they also have the very hated Other M, the bland Ninja Gaiden 3 and other less fortunate projects. Hopefully Ultimate Alliance 3 will be in the former category.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
I just rewatched the trailer a couple times yesterday and outside of wolverine slashing at basically air when fighting robots, it visually looks pretty solid imo

The animations probably need the most work, but it's usually Nintendo's MO, for games they publish, to not care about what it looks like in the first trailers. So I'm hoping from now till release we see some improvements.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I just hope they add more X-Men/FF. Funny to see some Inhuman reps still given how quickly and completely Marvel's dumped them in both the comics and expanded media, guess this one's been in development awhile.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Not to worried about the visuals either.

Both X-Men Legends titles and the earlier MUA games are ugly. But they are mostly fun to play.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I just hope they add more X-Men/FF. Funny to see some Inhuman reps still given how quickly and completely Marvel's dumped them in both the comics and expanded media, guess this one's been in development awhile.
Well Lockjaw and Crystal have as heavy if not stronger connection to the avengers and fantastic four having been members of both team. Also Attilan was a location in the original game although I think only black bolt was playable

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Team Ninja is mostly a mixed bag, isn't it?

Thinking of these guys, they have a wide array of hits and failures, its fascinating to see. They have good stuff like the original Ninja Gaiden, several Dead or Alive titles, Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword, Ni-Oh, Hyule Warriors which they co-developed. But they also have the very hated Other M, the bland Ninja Gaiden 3 and other less fortunate projects. Hopefully Ultimate Alliance 3 will be in the former category.
That's closer to having mostly good to great games with some failures(NG3)/disappointments(Sigma games and Other M), rather than mostly a mixed bag...

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
I wonder how late production started when they were given the go ahead to use the X-Men. I'm just assuming since Wolverine is all by his lonesome self. Hope their story portion isn't shooed-in.

Really hope some combination of cameos from Link, Samus, Captain Falcon, Pit, and Palutena makes its way.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
That's closer to having mostly good to great games with some failures(NG3)/disappointments(Sigma games and Other M), rather than mostly a mixed bag...
Also worth noting most of Other M's issues can be traced back to Sakamoto's decisions (Story, Wiimote only, 2D focus, IR missiles, pixel hunts) and they did some major fixes to NG3 with RE, to the point where I'd say it's a good (but not great) game.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Also while it does have some of the mcu style blending standard in marvel games most characters are using their current comic designs. Especially the villains. Same with the lineup, I mean we've got hand ninjas, Sandman, Ultimo, Green Goblin and Kingpin showing up as villains while Thanos, Ronan were big players and the black order having comic popularity(and the game having the full lineup)
Very curious to see how big the roster gets considering it's going to be dozens of playable characters and hopefully costumes are back

Also I bet we get a release date and more info in the January direct, I could see this in H1