Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to understand the need for this series to be a hit.
I think it's because people want to see Monolith Soft do bigger things. like their own Breath of the Wild or whatever.

but Xenoblade 2 was never gonna be the breakout game given that the series own fans were split on it during it's first reveal

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
The most recent Digimon sales really remind us once again that the PS family ecosystem is about to come to an end. It will be interesting to see how publishers will adapt, besides mobile, since a portable version and PS3+PS4 versions inflated sales quite a bit until recently.

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
Most interesting thing next quarter, apart from Monster Hunter World sales, is how deep Switch will eat into PS4 hardware and software sales with the increased supply.
I think what will be more interesting to see which companies still stubbornly avoid giving the Switch support as it closes in on the PS4's LTD

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I see, thanks! Yeah, XB2 could very well surpass that number imo, possibly even without accounting for digital.
If it shows good legs next 3 weeks that holidays last and sells 20-25k going for 200k LTD at retail won't be so far.

Minimazing used market is the important, DLC will help at that.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Switch outselling PS4 doesn't have any significance to the health or performance of the Japanese gaming market, I think.

The situations, products, and market segments are different. Switch vs. Wii U illustrates Nintendo's recovery. PS4 vs PS3 shows that Sony are holding steady or improving. No such conclusions come from Switch vs. PS4 other than, "Hyuck, Switch is kicking Sony's ass. Mwahaha!"
I mean really the wii u wasn't all that important either as it was selling and treated like a handheld in Japan so it's most direct comparison is the 3DS I feel a pure console Nintendo system would still bomb in Japan it's more of an interesting thing to note.

But really there's nothing "wrong" with any comparison I mean they're the two most relevant systems in Japan the problems is that it will inevitably attrack console warring shit posts that this thread doesn't need more of.

Oct 25, 2017
Holiday results continue to be:

tatsu55yuds.gif

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YEAH BABY, ARMS! Them legs are pushing it to 200k+ more sales after its launch. Good sales, not even including digital either!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
At the rate these threads are going it seems like people want to see western hardware sales comparisons rather than Japanese ones, since apparently those are impacting most Japanese publishers' decisions.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can downplay it all you want but a JRPG launching at 200k in December is a good result.

If it was outside Nov or Dec I would agree but its not.

In regards to Persona since this discussion is about franchises and not individual games the only Persona game to launch >300k is 5. I was saying jury is out on whether 6 will stay consistent or this is just a one time thing for the franchise.

>450k as well. Persona as a series is booming right now so if its quick I don't see why much would change. However, the Persona team is now working on Project Re and so Persona 6 will have a new director. We shall see the reaction when it comes but right now the franchise has made its name.

Because all the others won't have any noticeable impact.

A steady stream of software can only be a good thing for hardware.

since apparently those are impacting most Japanese publishers' decisions.

Nothing apparent about it. They most certainly are.

鬼作.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering the production values are pretty high, it would be good if the series could finally grow out of the pattern of starting below 100k and clawing it's way slooowly towards 200k at least. Like, this isn't GUST we're talking about who might as well be operating out of a garage, I doubt anyone at Monolith or Nintendo is popping Champagne at 80k or 90k FW sales three times in a row.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
If it doesn't appear, whether or not it is the case, it wouldn't appear and we wouldn't see it.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Considering the production values are pretty high, it would be good if the series could finally grow out of the pattern of starting below 100k and clawing it's way slooowly towards 200k at least. Like, this isn't GUST we're talking about who might as well be operating out of a garage, I doubt anyone at Monolith or Nintendo is popping Champagne at 80k or 90k FW sales three times in a row.

I'm sure they're ok, or they wouldn't have made Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 to begin with.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great week for Switch hardware and software. All of them are up this week and Mario is now with 1 million so that's great.

Also, Yokai Watch Busters seems good to me, at least with the state of the franchise. The franchise is still big in Japan but man, how it have fallen in comparison to the past games.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Very convincing argument you have here. Can you list all the JRPGs that have launched well over 200k in the last 5 years? Because the list is so small I have zero idea where your arbitrary cut off is.

>450k as well. Persona as a series is booming right now so if its quick I don't see why much would change. However, the Persona team is now working on Project Re and so Persona 6 will have a new director. We shall see the reaction when it comes but right now the franchise has made its name.

Frankly it doesn't really matter what Persona 5 was at at launch. It's the only game in the franchise to launch at anything resembling those numbers. Until Persona 6 there isn't anything to prove it will or will not sustain them. Franchises (more than one game) that consistently sell more than 300k first month are Pokemon, FF, Kingdom Hearts (even though all the spinoffs and collections dilute this) and maybe fire emblem. That's literally it.

This is off topic now but I really do not understand the logic you're putting forth. It's one thing if you can show many games surpassing the 200k barrier especially in the holidays. But you haven't provided a single example.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the rate these threads are going it seems like people want to see western hardware sales comparisons rather than Japanese ones, since apparently those are impacting most Japanese publishers' decisions.
Well in Xenoblades 2 case i am sure the game will easily do better than it's predecessors in the west so in that case it's interesting to see those sales.

Mostly because Xenoblade 1's release in USA was a big mess (it was pirated alot) and X was on a dying console.

Anyway it's good for the series that 2 had a world wide release and that it's released in Switch's early life.

I wonder how Bayo 3 and Prime 4 will do WW as they are "niche" Nintendo games aswell. Would be neat if all 3 sell pretty well for their doing in the end lifetime wise WW.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017

It's absolutely baffling how posters on this forum were once XBC2 released. It sold more than its predecesors on release week and now it's already outsold XCX roughly 3 weeks after release.

And that's not sucess enough? Methinks people don't even look at trends and market data and suddenly want something to sell copiously based on emotions. That's not how it works.

I wish people would just -think- a bit before hurling everyone and everything into a crazy narrative divorced from the reality of the data. Hyperbole is king.

And it's not just Xenoblade, either. It's any nonesense that can be latched onto like the ridiculous PS4 vs Switch 9mo., 10mil difference.

*breathes*

Sorry, it just upsets me that we have people sharing numbers and insights into things in a measured and nuanced manner, but then someone posts a hot take and it all goes into the trash bin.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

You're still not saying why a JRPG selling 200k in the holidays is worse than one selling 200k outside of the holidays.
Again, it is good for the genre considering the era. Unless you got some arguments for that?

A steady stream of software can only be a good thing for hardware.

I completely agree since it makes a platform healthier (lol WiiU for example), but wasn't that the case this year as well? The PS4 is underperforming now (in Japan, before someone talks about the world) despite some good titles. That was why me and other posters were wondering in what way was 2018 a more interesting year for this platform, considering that it seems that there'll be about the same level of big hitter for the platforms, most of those likely not selling as well as DQXI.

Nintendojitsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Most interesting thing next quarter, apart from Monster Hunter World sales, is how deep Switch will eat into PS4 hardware and software sales with the increased supply.
Deep enough to make people anyone paying attention take notice. I'm expecting the initial sales of MHW to PS4 HW to be extremely front-loaded.

"Hyuck, Switch is kicking Sony's ass. Mwahaha!"

But seriously, if the Switch got the level of support the PS4 got at this point in time in it's life, most of these threads would be fairly one-sided.
(Well more than usual)

The real fun begins next Spring.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I completely agree since it makes a platform healthier (lol WiiU for example), but wasn't that the case this year as well? The PS4 is underperforming now (in Japan, before someone talks about the world) despite some good titles. That was why me and other posters were wondering in what way was 2018 a more interesting year for this platform, considering that it seems that there'll be about the same level of big hitter for the platforms, most of those likely not selling as well as DQXI.

Right. Barring a nice price drop it is what it is.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if releasing in December is all you had to do to sell a lot more copies there would be a lot more December releases in general. Especially if it could make JRPGs sell 200k copies.

Oct 27, 2017
You aren't far off, but you are missing the biggest chunk of buyers. Most XB sales probably go to US soldiers stationed in the area.

Can we please not do this? This comparison isn't meaningful or interesting, but it will encourage the kind of talk that devolves into console wars.

When Switch gets close, sales-Era will not fail to notice.
Oh, you're absolutely right. Good point. I thought about that shortly after, but I was too lazy to edit my post.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have XC2 digital sales numbers? Or are we inferring that it's over 200k by now?

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Japan not buying Xenoblade games, it's beyond me, but the crappy FFXV gets to 1M there.
jiFfM.jpg

If it was not crap, maybe 1.3m by now.

And if Xeno2 really hit, fans will get 3 with more crazinest.
Do you guys not want it? more expensive voice actors, more artists? instead of just Nomura, Takahashi buy the whole Square Enix to do the job.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's because people want to see Monolith Soft do bigger things. like their own Breath of the Wild or whatever.

but Xenoblade 2 was never gonna be the breakout game given that the series own fans were split on it during it's first reveal
They're making what looks like a new IP. I don't see the problem.

How many new IP JRPG's for a single console are selling well over a million?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't mean to turn this into a Xenoblade/JRPG western sales thread lol. The main point I was just trying to make is that the series is more popular in the West. Apart from that, what we see in Japan is fine though imo a bit disappointing.

Series wont breakout on this release but that's fine.

James

Oct 25, 2017
US
I mean really the wii u wasn't all that important either as it was selling and treated like a handheld in Japan so it's most direct comparison is the 3DS I feel a pure console Nintendo system would still bomb in Japan it's more of an interesting thing to note.

But really there's nothing "wrong" with any comparison I mean they're the two most relevant systems in Japan the problems is that it will inevitably attrack console warring shit posts that this thread doesn't need more of.

That's more or less my point, but you have made it much more clearly.

We have current and LTD numbers for consoles every week. It is interesting and meaningful to look at how they are currently doing.

Making a weekly chart of the comparison for months adds nothing, and serves as console warrior bait.

Just my thoughts. Maybe I am way off.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Do we have XC2 digital sales numbers? Or are we inferring that it's over 200k by now?
I know this is totally unrelated,but who is that girl from your ava?

But anyway,probably over 150k with digitals,the game is No.1 spot on the eshop for a while,even beating that shamelessly tech demo(we all know what it is)

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

We have current and LTD numbers for consoles every week. It is interesting and meaningful to look at how they are currently doing.

Making a weekly chart of the comparison for months adds nothing, and serves as console warrior bait.

I do agree, working around the way things are makes sense this particular comparison would be more trouble than it's worth that we can't already gauge by seeing the weekly ltd's

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

The reason people use graphs and charts is display information, trends and highlight points more easily. You're pretty much saying "all the data is there, why would we ever need or want to display it differently?"

I mean, because we can?

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Japan not buying Xenoblade games, it's beyond me, but the crappy FFXV gets to 1M there.
jiFfM.jpg
I don't know if you're joking, but Xenoblade 2 selling more than previous entries is probably making Nintendo more happy than SE was with FFXV poor sales that got to 1 million because this was the initial shipment (still needed heavy slashes for months to get there).

I doubt they're popping champagnes, but I doubt they ever expected to pop to begin with. Niche releases like this exist more to fill the gaps in software release and diiversify the lineup. Actually growing in comparison to previous entries is pretty rare in Japan today.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Media-Create: Xenoblade games, first weeks sales, %

01. / 00. [WII] Xenoblade (Nintendo) - 82.952 / NEW
04. / 01. [WII] Xenoblade (Nintendo) - 20.810 / 103.762 (-75%)

03./00. [3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles 3D |new 3DS| <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.04.02} (¥3.996) - 56.932 / NEW <58,66%>
09./03. [3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles 3D |new 3DS| <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.04.02} (¥3.996) - 8.905 / 65.837 (-84%)
13./09. [3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles 3D |new 3DS| <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.04.02} (¥3.996) - 5.330 / 71.167 (-40%)

03./00. [WIU] Xenoblade Chronicles X # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.04.29} (¥8.316) - 85.586 / NEW
04./03. [WIU] Xenoblade Chronicles X # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.04.29} (¥8.316) - 11.689 / 97.275 (-86%)
08./04. [WIU] Xenoblade Chronicles X # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.04.29} (¥8.316) - 4.236 / 101.511 (-64%)
13./08. [WIU] Xenoblade Chronicles X # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.04.29} (¥8.316) - 2.625 / 104.137 (-38%)

02./00. [NSW] Xenoblade Chronicles 2 # {2017.12.01} - 97.732 / NEW
08./02. [NSW] Xenoblade Chronicles 2 # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2017.12.01} (¥7.980) - 19.678 / 117.409 (-80%)
16./08. [NSW] Xenoblade Chronicles 2 # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2017.12.01} (¥7.980) - 12.017 / 129.426 (-39%)
Yeah, super mild drop for Xenoblade 2, especially compared to XBX. Nice. Didn't expect over 10k.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is totally unrelated,but who is that girl from your ava?

But anyway,probably over 150k with digitals,the game is No.1 spot on the eshop for a while,even beating that shamelessly tech demo(we all know what it is)

It's Little Noah, from a mobile game.

Also, I hope they reconsider with the SK series, Shinobi Refle seems to be doing well.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Just looking at LTD numbers doesn't tell you the whole story. Lifetime/aligned sales curves can give you good comparisons in terms of momentum, trending, peaks, valleys, and other neat info.

I do agree with you that it's not necessary specifically when it comes to PS4 vs Switch, since both the launch aligned and overall LTD trends are obvious. But comparing PS4 and PS3 for instance, or Switch and 3DS, or all platforms on the same plot can be pretty interesting.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
If holidays truly boosted JRPGs by a great margin more publishers would release titles around these dates. I guess that makes FFXV performance in Japan more embarassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.