• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
so I am in the market for a rhythm game. I've Apple Arcade and an iOS device.
What's currently the "best" rhythm game on iOS? :D
I think Cytus II is the best "play with two thumbs" rhythm game that Rayark has put out. I've gone so far as to buy nearly all of the extra characters (song packs). They come around on discount every so often, but even the base game has quite a lot of content for a ridiculously low asking price.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Lately I haven't been playing mobile games as much as I used to so recently I downloaded an idle game called Home Quest. It's actually pretty neat! I don't usually care for idle games but this one fills a nice middle between an active game and a full idle game that you can leave for days at a time. The best efficiency in this game is to check on it every couple of hours or so because certain actions in the game don't take long to finish. There is only one IAP in the game but it's basically just a donation to the developers and it does give you a few perks in-game.

apps.apple.com

‎Home Quest - Idle Adventure

‎Build your Town You find yourself in an unknown place. Unsure of what these lands might hold, you decide it’s best to grow your settlement. Provide housing and farms for your people. Create workplaces, military facilities, and more. Recruit an Army Once settled in, eliminate threats, fight...
play.google.com

Home Quest - Idle Adventure - Apps on Google Play

Progressive Idle Adventure

Well, I've completed it. Huh. It's nice to actually complete an idle game for a change.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Lately I haven't been playing mobile games as much as I used to so recently I downloaded an idle game called Home Quest. It's actually pretty neat! I don't usually care for idle games but this one fills a nice middle between an active game and a full idle game that you can leave for days at a time. The best efficiency in this game is to check on it every couple of hours or so because certain actions in the game don't take long to finish. There is only one IAP in the game but it's basically just a donation to the developers and it does give you a few perks in-game.

apps.apple.com

‎Build your Town You find yourself in an unknown place. Unsure of what these lands might hold, you decide it’s best to grow your settlement. Provide housing and farms for your people. Create workplaces, military facilities, and more. Recruit an Army Once settled in, eliminate threats, fight...
play.google.com

totally missed your post. Is that an idle game without any f2p bullshit? These are rare, I'll give it a try :)

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully this comes to Apple Arcade and is a complete experience
Don't think so, this is one of their first games they've made that seems to be leaning into F2P, so I think that is the intended experience they're going for.

Might get a PC/Switch port at some point like they've done with the Kingdom Rush series, so maybe there's a chance it'll get a "complete" edition or something if/when that happens.

Personally I think as long as it's reasonably balanced, and the gacha stuff isn't too obnoxious it has the potential to be a great game even with all that. Especially if it gets even more regular content updates than their past games did (which was already pretty solid).

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017

apps.apple.com

play.google.com

Version 2.0 is out now. It looks nicer, but there are some flaws: The treasury is now tabbed, which might be a good idea, but now you can't see the growth/loss of all resources with one glance anymore. Speaking of growth/loss, that information is gone. The treasury still displays the separate sources for each resource and what it's used for, as well as the time until the storage is full, but it doesn't show the total growth/loss anymore. Also, I've noticed that the workers tab doesn't properly update. If you start building a house and switch to the workers tab, the number of workers won't update when the house is done. Gotta switch to another tab and back to workers to make it update.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Start your wine empire in Hundred Days, a simulation where every choice, from the vines to the distribution, will matter. This title has been ported from PC to mobile and is available now:
apps.apple.com

‎Hundred Days

‎What happens when a working class underdog becomes master of winery empire? In Hundred Days you will have complete control of a new winery. By choosing your vines carefully, you will embark on a journey of winemaking and become a mogul of industry by deciding which wines to produce. By keeping...

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Version 2.0 is out now. It looks nicer, but there are some flaws: The treasury is now tabbed, which might be a good idea, but now you can't see the growth/loss of all resources with one glance anymore. Speaking of growth/loss, that information is gone. The treasury still displays the separate sources for each resource and what it's used for, as well as the time until the storage is full, but it doesn't show the total growth/loss anymore. Also, I've noticed that the workers tab doesn't properly update. If you start building a house and switch to the workers tab, the number of workers won't update when the house is done. Gotta switch to another tab and back to workers to make it update.
Thanks for the warning. I won't update for now then. Do you know if they changed monetization or IAPs?

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the warning. I won't update for now then. Do you know if they changed monetization or IAPs?

It's just minor changes, so don't let this keep you from updating.

In addition to the Gold Edition, there's two more IAPs: Ruby Edition, which includes the ability to rename towns as well as unlimited superwell slots, and a decoration pack. Apparently you can select different skins for the buildings. Seems kinda pointless to me, but whatever.

Other changes:
- If you increase the population, the new workers will collect wood/stone instead of being idle. There are no job slots anymore for wood/stone, just for the other resources.
- Many building upgrades now need to be unlocked by reaching a certain population size.
- The army does no longer consume any food. You just buy units with armor and that's it.

Jarsonot

Oct 27, 2017
It's just minor changes, so don't let this keep you from updating.

In addition to the Gold Edition, there's two more IAPs: Ruby Edition, which includes the ability to rename towns as well as unlimited superwell slots, and a decoration pack. Apparently you can select different skins for the buildings. Seems kinda pointless to me, but whatever.

Other changes:
- If you increase the population, the new workers will collect wood/stone instead of being idle. There are no job slots anymore for wood/stone, just for the other resources.
- Many building upgrades now need to be unlocked by reaching a certain population size.
- The army does no longer consume any food. You just buy units with armor and that's it.

i lost all progress with the update, so save first!

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Well despite disabling auto updates in Settings the game was updated. Fuck. I really don't like the update and loosing my progress is just the icing of the cake.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Holy cow?! In a surprising manner, a new chapter for Monument Valley 2 is out now seemingly out of nowhere.

Get the game here:
apps.apple.com

‎Monument Valley 2

‎Guide a mother and her child as they embark on a journey through magical architecture, discovering illusionary pathways and delightful puzzles as you learn the secrets of the Sacred Geometry. Sequel to the Apple Game of the Year 2014, Monument Valley 2 presents a brand new adventure set in a...

A reminder that Monument Valley 3 is in development as well. https://twitter.com/ustwogames/status/1448572109999984642

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
A couple releases this week I think are worth mentioning:

Basketball Odyssey. It's like Desert Golfing but....with basketball instead. Ads but there is an IAP to remove them.

apps.apple.com

‎Basketball Odyssey

‎Shoot hoops and unlock new worlds on this addictive and relaxing basketball game! Basketball Odyssey is a different basketball experience. A journey of calm and relaxation due to its music and ambient sounds, while you feel the satisfaction from overcoming a challenge. Features: • Complete...
play.google.com

Basketball Odyssey - Apps on Google Play

Shoot hoops and unlock new worlds on this addictive and relaxing basketball game

Get Together. A rare co-op experience on mobile. Both players will need to own the game though.

apps.apple.com

‎Get Together: A Coop Adventure

‎This is a 2 player puzzle game where each player needs a copy of the game. Average playtime is 2-3 hours. - It's all about getting together - A coop puzzle adventure in which you and a friend are thrown into an otherworldly experience with unsolved mysteries and forgotten stories. Take part in...

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still actively playing Home Quest. However, the number of different resources and buildings is really getting out of hand. Right now, I've got about 40 different kinds of resources..

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Townscaper. This one isn't really a "game" per say but it's a lovely little toy for when you want a zen experience.

apps.apple.com

‎Townscaper

‎Build quaint island towns with curvy streets. Build small hamlets, soaring cathedrals, canal networks, or sky cities on stilts. Block by block. No goal. No real gameplay. Just plenty of building and plenty of beauty. That's it. Townscaper is an experimental passion project. More of a toy than...
play.google.com

Townscaper - Apps on Google Play

Instant town building toy

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Finally, the new campaign for one of the best Arcade racer on iOS, Horizon Chase by AquirisGS, is available. It's focused on F1 races with a first person view across 15 tracks.

apps.apple.com

‎Horizon Chase

‎TRY 30 RACES FOR FREE and discover one of the best racing games. HORIZON CHASE IS A TRIBUTE TO CLASSIC ARCADE RACING GAMES. Horizon Chase is a love letter to all retro racing gamers. It's an addictive racing game inspired by the great hits of the 80's and 90's. Each curve and each lap in Horiz…

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Kingdom Rush Frontiers is coming soon to Arcade with the addition of TD+ to its name. Guess it'll just be the game as before without IAP for the heroes and youll unlock them naturally.

Jarsonot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still actively playing Home Quest. However, the number of different resources and buildings is really getting out of hand. Right now, I've got about 40 different kinds of resources..

For sure. Once you figure out the system it's not too bad, but there's a lot of "stacking". If you add a baker you'll run out of flour, so you need a Miller, but then you'll run out of grain, and it takes 3 grain farms to keep up with 1 Miller. So to add a baker I build 3 grain farms, then a Miller, then my baker.

Pretty much every higher level resource is like this. Armor is crazy, with animal hunters feeding leather workers who feed armorers who feed plate armorers who feed energized armorers who feed tek armorers (or something).

I'm not complaining though, I think it's a great "idle" game!

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Jessika. A mystery detective game similar to Her Story where you look for clues by watching videos. Sounds really interesting.

apps.apple.com

‎Jessika

‎What’s your job? In this full motion video mystery adventure you are part of a group that specializes in processing digital footprints of deceased people - all on behalf of the relatives. What at first seems to be a job like any other quickly develops into a dark drama with twists and turns...
play.google.com

Jessika - Apps on Google Play

Solve a dramatic case in this full motion video myster adventure.

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if anyone's on the fence about the mobile port of Collection of Saga: Final Fantasy Legend, which was released around a month ago. I picked it up after waffling a bit due to the $20 price tag.

I've been impressed so far; I mean, it IS just a port/remake of the three games, but the emulation is good, the buttons can be easily rearranged on screen, it supports portrait/landscape (big plus for me - I often play one handed in portrait mode), the fast forward is pretty much the perfect pace (and doesn't speed up the music). Even though the games can be saved anywhere on the map, it still keeps around "continue" state if the app is closed/slept.

I don't know if I'd recommend it for someone totally new to the games - FFL 1 is weird/obtuse and FFL 3 is kind of a boring standard RPG with only a touch of the weird SaGa-ness to set it apart. 2 is the real standout, but it's still a 8-12 hour RPG without turbo mode.

I'm particularly confused that it doesn't seem to have any kind of built-in manual, given how much you'd be lost in FFL1 in particular without knowing how mutants/humans level up, but otherwise it's a good package.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
For sure. Once you figure out the system it's not too bad, but there's a lot of "stacking". If you add a baker you'll run out of flour, so you need a Miller, but then you'll run out of grain, and it takes 3 grain farms to keep up with 1 Miller. So to add a baker I build 3 grain farms, then a Miller, then my baker.

Pretty much every higher level resource is like this. Armor is crazy, with animal hunters feeding leather workers who feed armorers who feed plate armorers who feed energized armorers who feed tek armorers (or something).

I'm not complaining though, I think it's a great "idle" game!

I've completed it again. Uh, I think. I've maxed out the population and the log says "End of Chapter Two". However, after beating it, a new mission showed up, with a certain item as its reward. I beat that mission and nothing happened. Might be an item for a possible chapter 3, I guess?

TheSpoonyBard

Mar 11, 2021
Any suggestions for a game that'll scratch the FTL/Slay the Spire/Monster Train itch? I realize that FTL is the odd one out, but I see them as pretty common in that the gameplay loop is similar in style and length. I liked Into the Breach well enough, but it didn't pull me in quite like the others did.

campbell

Oct 27, 2017
Any suggestions for a game that'll scratch the FTL/Slay the Spire/Monster Train itch? I realize that FTL is the odd one out, but I see them as pretty common in that the gameplay loop is similar in style and length. I liked Into the Breach well enough, but it didn't pull me in quite like the others did.

Meteorfall: Krumit's Tale
Crying Suns
Xenowerk Tactics
Dungeon of the Endless

Jarsonot

Oct 27, 2017
I've completed it again. Uh, I think. I've maxed out the population and the log says "End of Chapter Two". However, after beating it, a new mission showed up, with a certain item as its reward. I beat that mission and nothing happened. Might be an item for a possible chapter 3, I guess?

have you killed the Valhalla angel? I did accidentally when I sent a bunch of units to Valhalla, and I got a message about not having the key. I have the mission to get the key now, but don't have it yet.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
have you killed the Valhalla angel? I did accidentally when I sent a bunch of units to Valhalla, and I got a message about not having the key. I have the mission to get the key now, but don't have it yet.

I killed him and got a Tree of Life. I put it into one of my settlements, but I don't know what it does.

edit: I killed him a second time and got the same message about not having the key. Huh?

October Recap
OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
October Recap

Slender: The Arrival
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Hundred Days
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Basketball Odyssey
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Get Together: A Coop Adventure
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

NBA 2K22 Arcade Edition (Apple Arcade)
100x100bb.jpg

iOS

The Fox in the Forest
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Townscaper
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Jessika
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
What are the best Apple Arcade games for iPhone? Meaning a truly touch first experience, preferably Portrait support? Also good for a short and long amount of time. I know there are tons of great games but many really need an iPad and controller to shine.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
This one looks pretty good. It's an action puzzle game in the same vein as the Puyo Puyo series. Reviews of the game on PC/console seem to be mostly positive.

apps.apple.com

‎Petal Crash

‎Easy to learn and rewarding to master, Petal Crash is a brand new puzzle game in the tradition of the arcade action puzzlers of the mid-90s. Like the games that inspired it, Petal Crash features a variety of single player challenges in addition to an intense head-to-head versus mode. The rules...
play.google.com

Petal Crash - Apps on Google Play

Crash blocks together into huge chain reactions in this frantic action puzzler!

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently on Dec. 9th Kingdom Rush Vengeance is getting another content update!: Rise of the Dragon.

I guess the game is launching on Android China so this is a Chinese themed area.

Hopefully it'll be enough to tide me over until their Junk World game launches.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Some releases this week:

Bloodshore
apps.apple.com

‎Bloodshore

‎Bloodshore is an interactive action movie about a televised battle royale between high-profile streamers, entertainers and death row inmates. You control the fate of Nick, a washed-up actor who fights for a life-changing cash prize. All is not what it seems in this latest season of...

Shaolin vs Wutang
apps.apple.com

‎Shaolin vs Wutang - Fighting

‎Shaolin vs Wutang is a 1 on 1 INDIE CASUAL combat game featuring hand to hand and weapon combat, great music and inspired graphics. No flashy over the top effects, just combat influenced by classic Kung Fu films. The game features authentic fighting sounds from films and a licensed soundtrack...

Super Mombo Quest
apps.apple.com

‎Super Mombo Quest

‎Super Mombo Quest is an action-packed precision platformer! A metroidvania with classic arcade mechanics, featuring some crazy combat, challenging combos and plenty of collectibles - all in a huge interconnected world! Get the perfect combo in hundreds of levels! Travel through a giant...
play.google.com

Super Mombo Quest - Apps on Google Play

Bounce and stomp through a magical world! Do INSANE stunts and get huge combos!

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody tried Jessica or Bloodshore yet?
I haven't checked out the reviews for Jessika yet but I saw that Bloodshore has mixed reviews. The consensus being that the positives of the game include good storytelling and world building while the negatives are the acting and effects which can be laughable at times. I saw App Unwrapper's video on it and I can definitely see where the reviews are coming from.

AhiKuma

Banned
Sep 28, 2021
So I got the BackBone attachment for my iPhone and I've been loving it. Definitely my prefer place to play Genshin now over PC/PS5.

Anyone have any recommendations for controller support games?

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Welp I lost my progress in Home Quest. Not sure if I want to start again. Is there any other comparable game out there?

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Welp I lost my progress in Home Quest. Not sure if I want to start again. Is there any other comparable game out there?
If you're interested in the idle aspect then these two:

apps.apple.com

‎Kittens Game

‎Kittens Game is a village simulation text game. You manage a village of kittens as they acquire resources and unlock new technologies. This is an old school game and a product of many years of love and hard labor. It does not have any ads or micro-transactions.
apps.apple.com

‎Armory & Machine

‎There are no stars in the sky. There is no light for miles. It is cold. The machine creates warmth. The machine creates heat. What else will the machine create?

If you like the managing a growing settlement then this might strike your fancy:

apps.apple.com

‎The Bonfire 2 Uncharted Shores

‎BUILD SURVIVE EXPLORE Build, craft, gather resources during the day, and survive monsters and raiders at night in this survival strategy game. Sequel to the award-winning game The Bonfire: Forsaken Lands The Bonfire: Uncharted Shores expands on every aspect of the original and brings greater...

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Sparklite, a roguelite action adventure game:

apps.apple.com

‎Sparklite

‎Sparklite is an Action-Adventure roguelite set in a whimsical and ever-changing land. Gear up for Adventure and battle foes in top-down action using an arsenal of gadgets, guns, and gear. Explore dangerous corners of the procedurally generated world, take down titans of the mining industry...
play.google.com

Sparklite - Apps on Google Play

Gear up to save Ada's friends

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Some new releases:

In my Shadow:
apps.apple.com

‎In My Shadow

‎Play with shadows in your own unique ways to solve imaginative puzzles as you unfold a journey of loss, nostalgia & acceptance. The game tells the story of Bella,a young woman who had a fallout with her family years ago and now finds herself struggling to respond to her father’s text message...

The Ramp:
apps.apple.com

‎The Ramp.

‎You crave for flow? You just want to shred through a halfpipe without all the boring stuff? Say no more, The Ramp is your jam! Features: YES: tons of flow satisfying & unique skateboarding gameplay easy to learn, hard to master controller support BUT: NO unlockable stuff NO score, NO missions...
play.google.com

The Ramp - Apps on Google Play

A casual and stylish skateboarding game

Sole Light:
apps.apple.com

‎Sole Light: Cool Puzzle Game

‎Sole Light is an addictive puzzle game with isometric controls and dazzling graphics that will allow you to relax and calm your mind. If you’re a fan of match 3 games, puzzle games, logic games, and relaxing games, Sole Light is the perfect choice. To complete various difficulty levels in this...
play.google.com

Sole Light: Isometric Puzzles - Apps on Google Play

Calm your mind. Logic isometric puzzles. Relaxing game.

Life in Adventure:
apps.apple.com

‎Life in Adventure

‎We open discord server! https://discord.gg/9JdYkGm2T3 'Life in Adventure' is a text-based game written by the creator of 'Life is a game' You became an adventurer in D&D style fantasy, encountered various events and you have to choose what to do. The events and options you will face include...

SaiyanRaoh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So I now have $60 burning a hole in my pocket because of how shit GTA definitive edition turned out to be. I was thinking of picking up the mainline most of the Final Fantasy games or the Dragon Quest series on my new iPhone 13 Pro Max. Are they worth it on iOS? Thanks!

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Using perspective to solve puzzles may not be a totally original mechanic but this game uses it in such a clever way:

apps.apple.com

‎Moncage

‎Moncage is a stunning vignette puzzle adventure developed by Optillusion. The game takes place inside a mysterious cube, with each side of the cube housing a unique world: be it an old factory, a light tower, an amusement park, or a church, etc. At first sight, they may seem random and unrelated…
play.google.com

Moncage - Apps on Google Play

Mind-Boggling Optical Illusions Puzzle Game

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Alien Isolation is coming to mobile courtesy of Feral for 15€ with full controller support and mouse and keyboard. The game will be 11GB and coming December 16th.

apps.apple.com

‎Alien: Isolation

‎READ BEFORE BUYING: Please expand this description and read the full list of supported devices below to confirm that your device is supported. When she left Earth, Ellen Ripley promised her daughter she would return home to celebrate her 11th birthday. She never made it. Fifteen years later...

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Alien Isolation is coming to mobile courtesy of Feral for 15€ with full controller support and mouse and keyboard. The game will be 11GB and coming December 16th.

apps.apple.com

‎Alien: Isolation

‎READ BEFORE BUYING: Please expand this description and read the full list of supported devices below to confirm that your device is supported. When she left Earth, Ellen Ripley promised her daughter she would return home to celebrate her 11th birthday. She never made it. Fifteen years later...

I obviously can't say anything about the actual port (but knowing the devs I'm pretty sure it will be good) but having recently played the game from start to finish (Series X and often even remote playing the game on my iPhone) I can say only great things about it. It's imho a must play and a masterpiece if you like sci-fi and Alien in general. (Alien is my fav movie, mind you).
The game is also pretty massive and long, with the second part being imho the best one. There is also one 2-3 hours long special session which I won't ever spoil that is imho one of the best atmospheric scenes ever done in a video game that's resonating with me still months later.

Highly recommended.

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
Not exactly gaming but related question (I want to get back into mobile games). I'm debating on upgrading to the iPhone 13 Pro or Pro Max and was wondering if any of you guys game on the smaller device? Do you regret not going with the max? I don't have giant hands and I'm concerned the max will be uncomfortable (maybe better with a magsafe popsocket?).

My current devices are the iPhone SE (1st gen) and iPad Air 2 both are old and the batteries worn down (80% health on the iPhone and the iPad doesn't last longer than 2.5 hours now lol) and its really time to upgrade. Was thinking about the iPhone 13 Pro and iPad Pro 11 inch combo just a little concerned I'd regret not going for the 13 Pro max since I'll end up using it for gaming but I have a feeling it may be uncomfortable for me.

No local demo units right now and most of my family uses more narrow android devices so lacking hands on to help with deciding lol.