luca

Oct 25, 2017
I need interesting games to come over soon, where's my Stardew Valley ugh.

At least Football Manager 2018 Touch is coming out in two weeks.

I might also go and install all of my old games on my iPad again.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Warhammer Quest 2 needs an iPhone X update to be honest, the way some of the edge buttons clip outside the the screen isn't ideal. (not to mention the title screen going under the notch. :P).
Runs real well though!

I think it's coming mid/late next week.
It got delayed by the crash bug unfortunately.

If you keep the notch in the right it's ok.
It's a great X display showcase tough, with all those blacks.
Some room really pop out.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I spoke too soon! I just got CRUSHED by the boss of level 9. Every room leading up to him was easy and then all of the sudden he has crazy strong defense and an absurd # of action points... ah, I didn't have a chance.

Wiped my entire team. Is it usual when you wipe they don't give everyone any injuries?

Guess I have to grind up some money to buy better armor/weapons. I appreciate it got harder but also that was a bit strong of a spike, especially since the rest of the dungeon wasn't so difficult.

You talk about first campaign? (Second one is more difficult).

I'm right there on my last 'no level up, just normal items' run through and it's pretty tense.
Generally I manage to get to the boss with 2-3 chars alive, but I still have to beat it.
Second campaign is way more difficult at least (if you stay under level 4-5).

Yes, sometimes if you are lucky you manage to escape the dungeon unscathed.
I'm not a fan of this, consequences should be always dire as you can't die.

All four chars with broken hands, on the other end....(been there, done that).

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Fuuuuck, just found out The Last Express doesn't work iOS 11. What a bummer.

When are the new iPads coming out? I'm thinking of upgrading my Pro from 128gb to 512gb.

Last edited:

colinp

Oct 27, 2017
You talk about first campaign? (Second one is more difficult).

I'm right there on my last 'no level up, just normal items' run through and it's pretty tense.
Generally I manage to get to the boss with 2-3 chars alive, but I still have to beat it.
Second campaign is way more difficult at least (if you stay under level 4-5).

Yes, sometimes if you are lucky you manage to escape the dungeon unscathed.
I'm not a fan of this, consequences should be always dire as you can't die.

All four chars with broken hands, on the other end....(been there, done that).

Yeah first. I didn't realize just how much I should have focused on taking the boss down first until it was too late (which was like the second turn after opening the door! Hah!), though I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to even if I did put all my attack focus on him.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay looks polished and clean but is here a specific reason why you're interested in this? There are thousands of these F2P hack n slash games on the App Store.

But if it's good, you should leave some impressions.

It's just that the gameplay looks polished as you said. Will try to give impressions once I get to play this.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The actual strategy in Phone Destroyer is a little opaque. It seems unclear what the MO is other than "play cards as fast as you can".

The strategy is more apparent in PvP but this is what I've learned:

Deck building - you want a balanced deck and must be mindful of energy cost

Gameplay - choosing what to play when and where to play it are key. Ultimately you want to generate a troop advantage. I've done dumb things like sent in an assassin just to have him get 1-shot while other times I've seen assassins slip by and do major damage on the player. The right grouping of troops played at the right times can create a huge advantage. Position your troops where they can be the most effective and consider things like buffs/debuffs, splash damage, special abilities, etc. Especially when sizing up your enemy's troops.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Holy crap... I went to middle school with the creator of Flip Flop Solitaire! I always knew I'd hear about him in the VG world again someday, and here he is! This just made my night.

suffah

Oct 29, 2017
WH2 is nice but not satisfying my loot thirst.

Any loot game recommendations besides Rogue Wizards?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Picked up Iron Marines - looks and plays great on the X.

Very disappointed to see so much tied behind additional MTs. There's only 2 heroes included in the initial purchase, the rest cost $3-$5 a piece. Sucks.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good space trading games on iOS? Just discovered the open source Endless Sky on Steam and got really, really hooked. Is there any comparable space combat game with focus on peaceful missions on iOS?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Picked up Iron Marines - looks and plays great on the X.

Very disappointed to see so much tied behind additional MTs. There's only 2 heroes included in the initial purchase, the rest cost $3-$5 a piece. Sucks.
Another hero unlocks at a certain point in the story, a melee focused alien dude, and at launch you could get one of the DLC heroes for free (the sniper lady with cloak). I do think they should have kept her free honestly, she offers a different way to play the game and is reasonably powerful (you can cloak and lay a remote mine next to enemies as her powers).

Honestly though, you're not missing much with most of the other heroes. I bought a pack of 3 of them (they have bundle sales fairly often) and I don't feel like any of them are essential. These devs always seem to make IAP heroes a bit OP too, so I've always found the stock heroes the most enjoyable experience in all the Kingdom Rush games and now in Iron Marines (with maybe the exception of the evil wizard in KR: Origins, and like I mentioned that sniper lady in this game is fun). In the Kingdom Rush games they usually do release another character for free along with a content update (at least in the last two). Origins got an interesting hero that could turn enemies into dolls, and the second game got a fun voodoo witch.

Personally, Kara is my favorite hero in the game. Solid attack range, movement isn't too slow, and two different offensive powers make her quite powerful. The marine guys shield doesn' last for long enough to be very useful IMO, and the melee alien just doesn't really fit my play style (I always go for the ranged heroes in these games).

ThanksVision

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got a fancy Pixel XL 2, what are people liking on Android from this year? I've never really delved into the world of mobile gaming, so I'm interested in some current releases

e: I love puzzle games

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a fancy Pixel XL 2, what are people liking on Android from this year? I've never really delved into the world of mobile gaming, so I'm interested in some current releases

Well flip flop solitaire seems to be trending right now, however we have to wait quite a long time for an Android port. So I've been playing his previous game Sage Solitaire and it's a pretty fun/addictive variation on Solitaire.

Also: It may be frowned upon but if you dumped some DS games, Picross 3D and the Layton games work great with the Drastic emulator and just using the touchscreen. Renders at a higher resolution as well. I guess some other DS games may work great as well, but haven't tested them yet.

Last edited:

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God this game from HAL Laboratorie's mobile brand HAL Egg looks absolutely

I recommended this one to somebody else who found himself liking Picross style games:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CasualLabs.PaintItBack
Excellent, if not the best Picross game on the mobile market.

One of my favorite quick litte time wasters is the completely free 0h h1:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.q42.ohhi

You could also try Kubic, a clever perspective puzller:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appsolutegames.kubic

Mini Metro feels like it was made for touch screens:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nz.co.codepoint.minimetro

Human Resource Machine is a cute programming puzzler:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomorrowcorporation.humanresourcemachine

If you like abstract, mysterious and rewarding puzzles check out The Guides:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kevinbradford.games.theguides

Hoplite is more like a rogue like, I guess, but to me it always hat something "puzzling" as well:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magmafortress.hoplite

No puzzle, but a polished Civilization like for quick games:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.midjiwan.polytopia

Finally, another not-puzzler but supposed 4X strategy title A Planet of Mine:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tuesdayquest.myplanet

Last edited:

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I bought Card City Nights the other day blindly because the first games is one of my favorite Ios games. Played about an hour tonight and....I'm really not feeling it. The boards are now 6x6 and huge and cards have to be linked (need 3 cards minimum) and then will "activate" after a set number of turns listed on the card which will perform whatever is listed on the card. Anyone else playing this and have thoughts? I'm going to keep playing it in the hopes that it gets better with time or at least I adjust to it. Would love to hear impressions from someone who has played a decent amount.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive looking ragdoll platformer Ocmo is out for $4.99. This looks like my kind of game.

Ocmo by Team Ocmo https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ocmo/id1096895720?mt=8
Three levels in and it's living up to expectations. Simple but effective and hard to master controls, just the right amount of speed and momentum in your movement to feel satisfying, and very polished design and presentation

I do hope it gets ported to console or PC, because I'd love to play it on a larger screen with a mouse

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Android sales:

Hitman Sniper - FREE
Dungeon Defense - FREE
Linia - FREE
Downwell - $1
Space Marshals - $1