• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to spend so much time recreating Geralt of Rivia in the character creation it'll be funny when I never see his face unless I constantly take off his helmet.

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm going to spend so much time recreating Geralt of Rivia in the character creation it'll be funny when I never see his face unless I constantly take off his helmet.

The game doesn't have a hide-helmet feature??

If not, I really hope it's something they will add. I never play with helmet/hat/head gear. What I am about to kill need to see my grin before it dies.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Going to be a long wait until fall, but I'm incredibly excited to play this on PC!

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If hide helmet is an option then they really have improved on QoL lmao. That's be dope...

Edit: oh it's confirmed. Someone saw it in the menu options. Cool then no worries.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Cha-Cha and Kayamba were so much better than the palicos. I miss them too.
Who are they exactly?

I see them referenced a lot, particularly their faces/masks but have no idea whats the deal with them as someone who started with 4U aside from them being some sort of humorous tribal felyne NPCs.

Nov 20, 2017
I have a 3 week gap between jobs.

It starts on January 26th.

yesssssssss.gif

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
A near perfect score from Famitsu is promising for not only a franchise game, but a present gen transitional release. Alot can go wrong; & we all know an almost perfect AAA production could be the deciding factor for fans & curious gamers to make that Day 1 purchase or wait on that 5ish months sale price.

I haven't played a MH before & upon trying the beta, I'm not a fan of the timed instances. It controlled well for me & the world looks beautiful.

I hope this title succeeds becomes the 2018 hit Capcom deserves!

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Who are they exactly?

I see them referenced a lot, particularly their faces/masks but have no idea whats the deal with them as someone who started with 4U aside from them being some sort of humorous tribal felyne NPCs.
In 3 Ultimate, you have a pair of Shakalakas (diminutive masked creatures) as your partners. They are less customizable than the Palicos, but much more helpful in my experience. They do much more damage, provide certain abilities (like revealing monsters on a map) on demand, tank tons of damage, use their buffs and heals at better moments, and gather and carve monster parts more frequently.

When replaying 3 Ultimate, it's shocking just how effective they are. Cha-Cha and Kayamba get off so many flinches that it sometimes feels unfair.

They also have some hilarious dialogue, which changes depending on the masks they're wearing. For example, the Ancient Mask makes a Shakalaka talk like a stereotypical geezer.

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Oh god, speaking about the Palico- I have no idea what I'm going to make.

I've always been pretty conservative about my custom character so nothing too crazy, but I've never designed a cat before! It's not 'me' as a character so I can do whatever I want and put all kinds of crazy colors! Now I don't know what to do @_@ !

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing MHG to see what I can use beyond Hammer and Long Sword. But nothing feels too amazing. I want to try something ranged. What's the strongest to go with?

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
In 3 Ultimate, you have a pair of Shakalakas (diminutive masked creatures) as your partners. They are less customizable than the Palicos, but much more helpful in my experience. They do much more damage, provide certain abilities (like revealing monsters on a map) on demand, tank tons of damage, use their buffs and heals at better moments, and gather and carve monster parts more frequently.

When replaying 3 Ultimate, it's shocking just how effective they are. Cha-Cha and Kayamba get off so many flinches that it sometimes feels unfair.

They also have some hilarious dialogue, which changes depending on the masks they're wearing. For example, the Ancient Mask makes a Shakalaka talk like a stereotypical geezer.

I'm a cat person. I'm absolutely sick of Palicos. Shakas for life.

Deleted member 5727

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played an MH game before. Is this a game that can be enjoyed singleplayer, offline, or is it pretty much designed to be played co-op, online?

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
will be my first MH title, should fit in well considering all i play right now is destiny/borderlands type games

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, really? Do you know if there are difficulty levels for the same hunt/mission? An an, better rewards & gear are locked per difficulty?
There are ranks in the mon hun series, like for an example, rank 3 rathalos fight will give certain parts for a rank 3 armor, rank 8 rathalos will give parts for a rank 8 armor while generally being a harder fight due to multiple things (let it be multiple monsters, terrain, etc) so if you look at Ranks as difficulty, yes there are harder missions, but you have to advance in ranks to get it. (you do not have them all unlocked from the get go. )

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
I've never played an MH game before. Is this a game that can be enjoyed singleplayer, offline, or is it pretty much designed to be played co-op, online?
Some people enjoy more playing solo, others co-op. This game fits for everyone in that regard. If you play solo, you'll get a palico (cat) companion to help you out too.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Remember that MH is less of a loot collecting game and more of a loot making game. You basically hunt the materials for gear and upgrades to gear.
yeah super similar concept at least, instead of being excited for a loot drop i would be excited for a rare drop material im down for some of that =P

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
yeah super similar concept at least, instead of being excited for a loot drop i would be excited for a rare drop material im down for some of that =P
Yeah, that's how it works. Depending on your need to make all weapon types, the hunger for more stuff is a real thing.

The good thing seems to be that World will refund you materials if you make a piece of gear and want to change it. Not sure how much the game gives back your materials etc.

OP
OP
TheDkmariolink
Nov 12, 2017
Some new details:

A spanish article about a interview with the game director in a event of MhW in Spain, https://www.hobbyconsolas.com/noticias/nuevos-datos-monster-hunter-world-ps4-pc-xbox-one-185384

In the interview, the director said that it would take roughly 200 hours to complete every main mission, side mission, and secret in the base game.

I'm not sure if this includes farming for materials, but yeah. If you're a completionist this game will last you a while, regardless.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Not to intentionally offend the OP, but are Famitsu reviews actually threadworthy?

I think MHW is on the route to widespread critical praise, and we're not far off from getting the whole set of reviews. We can get far better critiques by them.

OP
OP
TheDkmariolink
Nov 12, 2017
Not to intentionally offend the OP, but are Famitsu reviews actually threadworthy?

I think MHW is on the route to widespread critical praise, and we're not far off from getting the whole set of reviews. We can get far better critiques by them.
It was really just to stir up the discussion again, it was getting pretty stale. Plus got some new information which is always nice for more people to see.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
It was really just to stir up the discussion again, it was getting pretty stale. Plus got some new information which is always nice for more people to see.

I didn't actually see the very last paragraph of the post, so I did made a mistake.

I probably would have responded differently, but the mere mention of Famitsu triggered a repellent reaction.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

New thread for new news homie. There is more info about MH that hasn't been said before in the review. Nobody cares about the score.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
If it's anything like my experience with Toukiden there would be a few armor sets where I'll be "WHY THE FUCK ISN'T IT DROPPING?!?!" but nothing I can't get after like 12 kills.

I should also note that in Toukiden I crafted every armor set to get the latest and greatest.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's anything like my experience with Toukiden there would be a few armor sets where I'll be "WHY THE FUCK ISN'T IT DROPPING?!?!" but nothing I can't get after like 12 kills.

I should also note that in Toukiden I crafted every armor set to get the latest and greatest.
It'll be exactly like that. Thank god we have nothing like a Triple Fatalis fight just to hope you get the best drops. (look up this fight in the old games, its fun)

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

MH is far more harsh than that. Though maybe they've improved things.

OP
OP
TheDkmariolink
Nov 12, 2017
MH is far more harsh than that. Though maybe they've improved things.
Well, the login bonus, which is either an extra drop ticket or a higher % of rare drop ticket, (one of those I'm not quite sure) which you get 5 a week of, should help.

Also, the generated missions offer a higher drop rate for rare materials, and can be shared with other hunters for up to 3 times. You generate these missions by just playing the game.