• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
Just name the game, all this teasing nonsense is just so lame. Either stand behind your info or don't.

This nonsense just reaks of all of the Xbox Live going away leaks that we got a few years ago that went nowhere.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft should port Red Steel 1 to Xbox Series and then Microsoft can port it to Switch and PS5 and Ouya.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Are people just joking when they completely ignore PS5 and just talk about a Xbox game release on Switch 2 during this year,
or am i missing something ?

I believe the reason why the game nor the console is named is because otherwise everyone would say "huh... ok" and move on.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are people just joking when they completely ignore PS5 and just talk about a Xbox game release on Switch 2 during this year,
We have had xbox games on switch like the two ori games, Microsoft have shown that they are okay with that choice. Why would we think ps5 first then when the previous examples were more on switch?
Hack, for xbox developped game pentiment, we have had it's devs talk about how in theory a switch port would be directly, since they see that as possible instead of on PS.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
We have had xbox games on switch, Microsoft have shown that they are okay with that choice. Why would we think ps5 first then when the previous examples were more on switch?
It's just the two Ori games, and that was 3-4 years ago.
As for XGS games, more recently MS was okay with letting As Dusk Falls go to PS4/5.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's just the two Ori games, and that was 3-4 years ago.
As for XGS games, more recently MS was okay with letting As Dusk Falls go to PS4/5.
For older examples, we have had the rare games on gba after Microsoft bought them (not the same case and strategy, but they have had consistent history for the question of where a Microsoft exclusive could be ported)

Nov 19, 2019

I believe the reason why the game nor the console is named is because otherwise everyone would say "huh... ok" and move on.
I think this is also extremely likely. The "GotY contender for the year it was released" struck me as extreme clickbait.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Hack, for xbox developped game pentiment, we have had it's devs talk about how in theory a switch port would be directly, since they see that as possible instead of on PS.
I don't think that is correct. The question they were asked in this interview was to do with the possibility of the game being ported to devices like Switch or iPad, and the answer was in relation what they were asked about, followed by "I would love the game to be on as many platforms as possible".

For older examples, we have had the rare games on gba after Microsoft bought them (not the same case and strategy, but they have had consistent history for the question of where a Microsoft exclusive could be ported)
That was like 20 years ago, and Xbox did not have a handheld alternative to develop for so they focused on the popular Nintendo hardware of the time. The PSP was introduced to the market as Rare was beginning to sunset the development of handheld games.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that is correct. The question they were asked in this interview was to do with the possibility of the game being ported to devices like Switch or iPad, and the answer was in relation what they were asked about, followed by "I would love the game to be on as many platforms as possible".

That was like 20 years ago, and Xbox did not have a handheld alternative to develop for so they focused on the popular Nintendo hardware of the time. The PSP was introduced to the market as Rare was beginning to sunset the development of handheld games.
Microsoft also licensed banjo again for the n64 online on the Switch a few years ago to append to the rare stuff (which like I said, was too old to be the same case and strategy, it's obvious it was another case, but helps to respond to the question I was responding as to why some ppl thought switch before Playstation.)

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Not just GBA Rare games, Microsoft was a big supporter of DS, through other publishers:

Viva Piñata Pocket Paradise
Zoo Tycoon
Zoo Tycoon 2
Age of Empires
Age of Empires Mythologies
Mechassault Phantom War
Blue Dragon Plus
Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The notion of Xbox hardware disappearing is not exactly rational because even it shrinks to just Xbox diehards that's still easily 20m people subbed to Game Pass. MS will entertain that, for sure.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy on Twitter right now. Xbox fans about to make Phil cancel my Hi Fi Rush Switch port. I'll never forgive them.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
What can I say, the more platforms a game is available on, the better. As far as I'm concerned, MS should port every game to every platform. Same with Nintendo and Sony. But what do I know.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
The notion of Xbox hardware disappearing is not exactly rational because even it shrinks to just Xbox diehards that's still easily 20m people subbed to Game Pass. MS will entertain that, for sure.
It's just utter fanboy fantasy and concern trolling. They've made themselves in to a first party publishing giant literally just last year, and have yet to really flex any of their muscles from all of their acquisitions. They are definitely able to me more unorthodox about the models they pursue and the platforms they target, but people are out of their mind if they think the hardware is going anywhere or that exclusives aren't coming. The people who buy in to this thinking and want it to be true are gonna feel sore about it in a few years.

Jul 28, 2020
I don't think that MS is going full multipatform, not with the ABK acquisition which is a big move. 0% chance.

ABK forces some 3rd party activity, even if there wasn't a contractual obligation to fulfill re: Cod, the idea that spending 70bn to create games for Xbox alone is hard to swallow for all but the most paranoid, what's interesting is working out where the exclusivity line is.

I read something about Starfield being profitable immediately at launch, but we know now that it wasn't the exclusive that shifted huge amounts of hardware. I don't see why Microsoft would feel that keeping it on Xbox alone would be hugely beneficial.

I don't see why this might be all that different to Sony putting games on pc after release, but keeping some games fully exclusive.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I don't think they will. This company will drop an entire division/product line without any hesitation it they seem not worth it. If the math checks out, they'll drop Xbox consoles like a hot potato.

We've heard it often enough: MS is a software/service company and not a hardware company according to the CEO.

As someone who is deeply invested in the eco system and bought more than 1200 digital games as well as countless dlc, I do believe that Xbox consoles are on their way out. Probably within the the next decade. Owning Activision is only going to accelerate that.

(For years MS have worked really hard to make Xbox irrelevant here in mainland Europe, my opinion is not based on the rumor that Hi-Fi Rush is coming to Switch, it's more based on the sum of actions and messaging by MS in the recent years.)

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It's just utter fanboy fantasy and concern trolling. They've made themselves in to a first party publishing giant literally just last year, and have yet to really flex any of their muscles from all of their acquisitions. They are definitely able to me more unorthodox about the models they pursue and the platforms they target, but people are out of their mind if they think the hardware is going anywhere or that exclusives aren't coming. The people who buy in to this thinking and want it to be true are gonna feel sore about it in a few years.
Yeah, Xbox HW will be there for any forseeable future/decades. What will happen is that they will have to readjust software strategy with slipping console sales/Game Pass growth. How? We will see.

PlayStation has a similar problem but about lack of super successful GAAS project that they fully own. Destiny 2 isn't doing too hot.

Jul 28, 2020
Personally I don't think they will. This company will drop an entire division/product line without any hesitation it they seem not worth it. If the math checks out, they'll drop Xbox consoles like a hot potato.

We've heard it often enough: MS is a software/service company and not a hardware company according to the CEO.

As someone who is deeply invested in the eco system and bought more than 1200 digital games as well as countless dlc, I do believe that Xbox consoles are on their way out. Probably within the the next decade. Owning Activision is only going to accelerate that.

(For years MS have worked really hard to make Xbox irrelevant here in mainland Europe, my opinion is not based on the rumor that Hi-Fi Rush is coming to Switch, it's more based on the sum of actions and messaging by MS in the recent years.)

I think Xbox is profitable and they've just greenlit the purchase of a series of publishers and studios.

While I think (as I said a couple of posts up) the purchases are too big purely to service Xbox consoles, they were surely part of the arrangement.

Given the difficulties that Xbox had getting Activision over the line, going as far as criticising and practically threatening the UK government, if they weren't set on staying in the console business, they'd have been able to offer more guarantees to Sony than they did and have made the problem go away instantly.

That they didn't do that should give pause for thought.

DuckSauce