9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, about this. While there was a Switch (and PS5) version in development, plans may have changed in terms of platforms. As in dropping the Switch version and keeping the PS5 one.

tbh I don't think this changes the whole picture about some specific Xbox/Bethesda/AKB games going multiplatform.
Nate didn't deny the existence of a Switch version, so they might have kept it after all.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
HiFi Rush was the only game that had me side-eyeing Xbox last year, so if it drops on either Switch or, preferably, PS5 then I'm all in!

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
so this is kind of blowing up isn't it? Wonder if MS will be forced to comment on the rumors (especially since there is so much speculation going on).

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Info was outdated (I knew about the game many months ago) because I didn't really care that much about HFR going anywhere, so I wasn't paying much attention. It wasn't a big deal for me. Now it's more up to date.
Chaos so thick, I can almost taste it

7ff9c2bf860349dd98920713d3403304.gif

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I think Switch 2 release would be an easier port tech wise, and the timing could work out.
Depends on how much time there will be between the reveal and launch because Nintendo wouldn't give any MS affiliated studio devkits before the reveal.

But this should have been a Switch title. There is still around a year before the successor launches and Switch landscape is drying up. Not much third party stuff left.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Depends on how much time there will be between the reveal and launch because Nintendo wouldn't give any MS affiliated studio devkits before the reveal.

But this should have been a Switch title. There is still around a year before the successor launches and Switch landscape is drying up. Not much third party stuff left.
Maybe it didn't run so well on OG Switch? This genre needs 60fps

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

You don't think MS studios have next-gen Nintendo dev kits? They've got that CoD licensing agreement after all. If I was Microsoft I'd be gunning for the Switch 2's launch when early adopters are looking for new games to pick up

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

I mean why would Nintendo withhold dev kits? Sony doing it makes sense. Nintendo isn't aiming in the same stratosphere as Microsoft in terms of hardware and they use a different manufacturer.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah MS are out of their fucking MINDS if they picked PS5 over Switch. I'm sorry, but that is an utterly stupid call. You MAKE it work. Switch owners devour these kinds of games and PS5 is still extremely struggling in Japan. Absolute lunacy. And that's before getting into the whole thing about Sony their main competitor.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Yeah MS are out of their fucking MINDS if they picked PS5 over Switch. I'm sorry, but that is an utterly stupid call. You MAKE it work. Switch owners devour these kinds of games and PS5 is still extremely struggling in Japan. Absolute lunacy. And that's before getting into the whole thing about Sony their main competitor.
I think this would suggest their motivation for porting HiFi extends beyond their desire to reach a Japanese audience.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah MS are out of their fucking MINDS if they picked PS5 over Switch. I'm sorry, but that is an utterly stupid call. You MAKE it work. Switch owners devour these kinds of games and PS5 is still extremely struggling in Japan. Absolute lunacy.
What if they picked Switch 2 launch over Switch? It's not that outlandish, even from Nintendo's perspective.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
You don't think MS' studios have next-gen Nintendo dev kits? They've got that CoD licensing agreement after all. If I was Microsoft I'd be gunning for the Switch 2's launch when early adopters are looking for new games to pick up
They're still a competitor, Nintendo would definitely continue to treat them as competitors despite their support.

We don't know how easy the successor porting process is, but six months could be enough to port both CoD and Minecraft to the system. March reveal, november launch.
I mean why would Nintendo withhold dev kits? Sony doing it makes sense. Nintendo isn't aiming in the same stratosphere as Microsoft in terms of hardware and they use a different manufacturer.
This is Nintendo, only publisher that has so called "death NDA's". Unwilling to work with the competitor despite their intentions to support the system would be sooo them.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
HiFi Rush on PS5 only makes sense to me if something else is going on behind the scenes.

Like that sort of suggested move - tip-toe-ing out back catalog games - I'd have previously taken that as a sign that there was some movement on the idea of GamePass availability on another platform. Even early talks. Some change, at least, in the path MS sees from where we are now to that point.

It doesn't make sense as a revenue grab to appease MS Corp and their big investments - a relatively tiny little critical darling? It makes more sense as a baby-steps, strategic exploration of something else, some kind of business relationship, while execs talk about other things.

I know MS and Sony relations are supposed to be at an all time low, but you could look at Ryan's departure and add a further 'hmm' to the mix, if you wanted to add some colour to this tales-from-my-ass speculation ;)

But seriously, it would be very strange in isolation, and would make me wonder what else might be going on.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
HiFi Rush on PS5 only makes sense to me if something else is going on behind the scenes.

Like that sort of suggested move - tip-toe-ing out back catalog games - I'd have previously taken that as a sign that there was some movement on the idea of GamePass availability on another platform. Even early talks.

It doesn't make sense as a revenue grab to appease MS Corp and their big investments - a relatively tiny little critical darling? It makes more sense as a baby-steps, strategic exploration of something else, some kind of business relationship.

I know MS and Sony relations are supposed to be at an all time low, but you could look at Ryan's departure and add a further 'hmm' to the mix, if you wanted to add some colour to this tales-from-my-ass speculation ;)

But seriously, it would be very strange in isolation, and would make me wonder what else might be going on.

Strategic olive branch during an executive transitory phase in an attempt to set-up a more collaborative working relationship is one angle.

Nov 19, 2019
If it really is HFR on PS5 I have to wonder how long this has been cooking and if it had anything to do with the original marketing of the game.

The shadowdrop always struck me as a strange choice for a game that covered a new base for MS and was widely well-received.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/EPC1iVlBH9M?t=647

Grubb said today at Game Mess Mornings that he heard that Sea of Thieves could be coming to Switch and PlayStation (and that where the rumor first popped up, he thought this SoT thing was it)

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
Like I said you MAKE it work. I can't see Hi-Fi Rush being impossible to reach 60fpa on Switch if the dev tries hard enough.

Why would they even whip their teams for a return on investment that would be average at best? or if they release it, it won't be 60FPS, even with some good concessions... and it's totally fine as switch users have been used to lower 30 fps ports.
Now even with obvious concessions, if the game cannot reach 30fps, that's another issue. Tango never developped for switch afaik, so wrapping their head around that hardware might be way more difficult than simply porting to PS5, and still reaching a reasonable target audience.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I would think releasing some titles on other platforms would be specifically to get more people interested in Xbox titles, and thus Xbox hardware. They could even time certain things around announcements of new titles, like say a Banjo 1+2 bundle on PS5 and Switch released right before the announcement of an Xbox/PC exclusive Banjo 3.

Last edited:

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

Like that sort of suggested move - tip-toe-ing out back catalog games - I'd have previously taken that as a sign that there was some movement on the idea of GamePass availability on another platform. Even early talks.

It doesn't make sense as a revenue grab to appease MS Corp and their big investments - a relatively tiny little critical darling? It makes more sense as a baby-steps, strategic exploration of something else, some kind of business relationship, while execs talk about other things.

"Game Pass on PS5 and Switch 2" would be a monumental effort, but spending a couple years porting over your back-catalogue could help lay the foundation for an eventual First-Party Only subscription offering on other platforms.

The problem is I'm not sure how compelling that service would be without day one releases. Like the only reason I bother with EA Play is because it's bundled in with game pass, Ubi+ would be a non-starter if it were back-catalogue only

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

View: https://youtu.be/EPC1iVlBH9M?t=647

Grubb said today at Game Mess Mornings that he heard that Sea of Thieves could be coming to Switch and PlayStation (and that where the rumor first popped up, he thought this SoT thing was it)

With Hifi Rush you could argue that it's Bethesda, so maybe kind of separate (although clutching at straws). Sea of Thieves is pure Xbox though and a massive success. Kind of puts everything on the table really except for maybe the real big stuff like Halo.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Strategic olive branch during an executive transitory phase in an attempt to set-up a more collaborative working relationship is one angle.

Some more tales from my ass but - but I can totally see Yoshida back on the phone to Nadella, clean slate, Ryan the fall guy, how do we long term work with this company that has really important content for our platform. Yoshida previously went over SIE's head to Nadella/MS before. That obviously iced with ABK. But who knows what's going on now. Notably Yoshida is taking his time appointing a successor to SIE - that might suggest that things around a post-ABK strategic direction may be in a delicate place that need firming up before the reins are handed over. It certainly would not surprise me at all if priority number one for Yoshida with Ryan's departure was rehabbing relations with MS/ABK.

In any event, rationalising these rumours without something having changed is difficult.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
If what Grubb says is legit (SoT on switch & PS5) everything is on the cards then, could be a possibility. Crazy times.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
sounds more and more like ms is dropping out of the hardware and going 3rd party. its probalby to hard for them to skip out on the ps and Nintendo user bases

Oct 26, 2017
Those lazy devs amirite? They just gotta try harder
Allow me to again point to how Moon managed to get Ori and the Will of the Wisps running at 900p at 60fps on Switch:

View: https://youtu.be/kH6wTpIObxE

Literally everyone thought the game wasn't even possible on Switch, let alone at this quality. And I'm not accusing anyone of laziness, just that folks, as usual, horribly underestimate the Switch's capabilities, even nearly 7 years in.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Allow me to again point to how Moon managed to get Ori and the Will of the Wisps running at 900p at 60fps on Switch:

Literally everyone thought the game wasn't even possible on Switch, let alone at this quality. And I'm not accusing anyone of laziness, just that folks, as usual, horribly underestimate the Switch's capabilities, even nearly 7 years in.

Completely different game and genre, on a completely different engine. Please take a step back and realize that game development is not just pressing a button that automatically makes the game 60FPS.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
sounds more and more like ms is dropping out of the hardware and going 3rd party. its probalby to hard for them to skip out on the ps and Nintendo user bases

I hope they will let me transfer my game licenses to other platforms then. Then I really wouldn't care all that much apart from the fact that we would pay a ton more for our games and PS+ on PS very soon again.

Yes, I might be overdoing it, but man, this is not what I wanted 2024 for Xbox to start with.

HitcherFL

Nov 3, 2023

Like that sort of suggested move - tip-toe-ing out back catalog games - I'd have previously taken that as a sign that there was some movement on the idea of GamePass availability on another platform. Even early talks. Some change, at least, in the path MS sees from where we are now to that point.

Could very much just be a first step in backing away from exclusivity as part of their strategy, especially if this is just one example of many that are in the works. More specifically testing out a pivot to timed exclusivity on first party titles as doubt we'll start seeing day and date beyond already existing exceptions.

Release a few less core games, give it some time to see if it has any impact on Xbox hardware, then continue if it's just pure revenue with no notable downsides. Doesn't have to involve any deals behind the scenes if it's just a new strategy. I doubt SIE were having to negotiate with Steam when they starting dabbling in PC ports.

Nov 19, 2019

I don't think this has anything to do with framerates at the end of the day.

PS players love a character action game. And games on PS don't have to fight for air against 1st party games the way these sort of late ports do on Nintendo hardware.

I wouldn't be surprised if this decision was made in part by evaluating the performance of the two Ori games on Switch.

Do we (MS) think we can do better on PS? Let's find out.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

It won't be that extreme. It does mean though that Xbox are probably conceding defeat in the console market to some degree and they are happy to keep their 20 - 30 million console owners.

If there is a gap between releases in another platforms similar to PlayStation to PC it might be okay. Still use gamepass a motivator.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft is 'embracing' with an Xbox Proflle Account when you try these games on different platforms 😏

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, yep, yep I have seen it in my sacred Jedi texts. HiFi, Sea of Thieves, Grounded and Pentiment going multiplat. Anything else and I am eating my shorts.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Well, I thought the Switch version wouldn't cause that much chaos (I was wrong). But now with the PS5 version on the table ... it's gonna be worse.

I might grab it on PS5 and play it again. One thing that irked me when playing on PC was that the button prompts were obviously all Xbox based and I was using a DualSense. That caused me to mess up more quick-time events than I'm willing to admit.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I'm usually pretty positive about Xbox, but if they put out XGS games on PlayStation even after a big delay - no other way to read it than the beginning of the end of them as a console maker.