• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Zion Williamson climbed onto the training table inside the New Orleans Pelicans' practice facility last Wednesday and finally admitted something. That's when the prized rookie informed the staff that he felt some tightness in his right knee, sources have told The Athletic. This admission came three days after a dominant 22-point, 10-rebound game against the San Antonio Spurs — which had been followed by a day off on Monday and a full participatory day of practice on Tuesday.

Once Williamson informed the Pelicans of how his knee felt, the team took the proactive measure of having him sit out the live practice on Wednesday and undergo an MRI. It was expected to be a precautionary MRI, but results showed a torn meniscus, and on Monday, Williamson underwent arthroscopic surgery and was ruled out six to eight weeks.

Sources with knowledge of the situation have told The Athletic that Williamson and the Pelicans cannot pinpoint one specific moment when the injury occurred.

Williamson is a one-of-a-kind specimen in today's NBA, and perhaps what everyone has learned through this process is that along with superior physical ability, he also has a high tolerance for pain. He likely would have continued to play through the injury had he not reported the tightness and had the Pelicans not called for the MRI. A season ago, Detroit Pistons star Blake Griffin played in the postseason on a torn meniscus that later required surgery.

The Pelicans do not believe Williamson's frame contributed to his torn meniscus, nor do they believe it will be an issue moving forward, sources have told The Athletic. He was drafted with everyone involved knowing how special he is at his size and frame.

Now, Williamson's rehabilitation could mean less weight-lifting and more strategic planning, but the Pelicans plan to figure out the best method while letting Zion be Zion, and that does not include managing his weight.

This also figures to be a learning experience for all involved because this is a first for an organization to manage a player quite like him. The Pelicans will not rush Williamson, and those who know him best believe he'll be itching to return far sooner than the six weeks, low end of that timetable.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
everyone always talks about how selfless curry is but when has he ever cried on the phone after a finals loss begging another mvp to come to town?

that's why dray and kd had that fight last year, it was never a question of steph's team vs. kd's team it was dray's team (the real warrior) vs. kd's team

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they wanna run that risk of bringing him back too early and he just ends up re-injuring himself. An NBA title is awesome, but better to be cautious and compete for more titles later.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Curry gon miss his first three point attempt of the season and that's gon doom their season. They gon plaster a big :mjcry: on his jersey.
CURRYCRYING.jpg

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, not that Klay's likely to come back, but I'd expect the Warriors to be *really* cautious with public timelines for their injured players after the KD thing.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Y'all realize Jordan would get hit with a tampering fine if he comments or gives any compliments on any current players, right?

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Time to see what Curry's got

I expect warriors to still make playoffs. DLo, Curry, and Green are 3 all stars
Let's be clear tho...DLo was alternate in the lEastern conference (wouldn't sniff top 10 voting in the west). I have hope that he will contribute but really doubtful at this point - I think he is more trade-fodder down the road for a team that needs a budget Curry. So after Green and Curry you have a 100% question-mark sort of roster. Again, this roster is much worse than what LeBron had to work with in LA last year and they won only 35 games in the West.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Let's be clear tho...DLo was alternate in the lEastern conference (wouldn't sniff top 10 voting in the west). I have hope that he will contribute but really doubtful at this point - I think he is more trade-fodder down the road for a team that needs a budget Curry. So after Green and Curry you have a 100% question-mark sort of roster. Again, this roster is much worse than what LeBron had to work with in LA last year and they won only 35 games in the West.
I mean, I don't like Lebron as much as the next guy, but dude's roster was severely crippled for the whole year. GSW's roster this year is thin, but let's not kid ourselves here.

Linkage76

Oct 27, 2017
I still think the Warriors make the playoffs even if Klay doesn't play. Curry and Draymond will have to play 75 games at the bare minimum. It will be very tough tho

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
we need a poll.
gs 2019 roster vs LA 2018 roster minus Lebron and Curry.

is WCS good? Cause Javale mcgee looked like a world beater in those preseason games against those kids lol

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely see the Warriors making the playoffs. I think people are majorly underrating the organizational competency and consistency and how good Steph and Draymond are. Similar to the Spurs. I also think the Warriors don't have to have all their roster questions settled on day one.

An extended Curry injury changes all that, though.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I still think the Warriors make the playoffs even if Klay doesn't play. Curry and Draymond will have to play 75 games at the bare minimum. It will be very tough tho
Curry's been injury prone too, though, especially when he's had to handle the majority of the load. I wouldn't be shocked if they made the playoffs, but I'm definitely not expecting it. I think the playoff teams in the West are Utah, LAL, LAC, Portland, Denver, Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas. If they squeeze in, it will be because Dallas disappoints.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I want ya'll to witness how quickly the Bay Area abandons its teams the second they're mediocre.

Outside of the Sharks and Raiders fans, Bay Area fans ain't shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.