What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
This thread needs more popcorn gifs then during the MS conference. That possibly stronger PS5 tweet really kicked a hornet's nest, huh.

Oct 25, 2017
How is he a fake insider? He clearly has inside info on at least the Xbox side.

But we aren't talking about that. We are talking about the Sony side. Just because you have info on one side doesn't give you authority to make statements on the other side, which people will misinterpret when presented in an "insider" way.

And people did. Hence why his status as an insider had to be cleared by a mod and a clarification made to exactly what he was verified for. He doesn't know about PS5 and yet made a statement about its GPU decompression in the SSD like he did. He doesn't know about the dev kit results or precisely how powerful the PS5 is, any statements to that effect need to be taken with that into account.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
But we aren't talking about that. We are talking about the Sony side. Just because you have info on one side doesn't give you authority to make statements on the other side, which people will misinterpret when presented in an "insider" way.

And people did. Hence why his status as an insider had to be cleared by a mod and a clarification made to exactly what he was verified for. He doesn't know about PS5 and yet made a statement about its GPU decompression in the SSD like he did. He doesn't know about the dev kit results or precisely how powerful the PS5 is.
You called him a fake insider when he clearly isn't. We always knew what he was verified for, that's why people take him seriously. But yes, he should probably get himself verified again if he wants to leak more info. We don't really know the extent of what he knows.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
no way there is microsoft gave chance to a sony be the Performance Leader I more trust in the BIG hint phil spencer do at them conference then a only tweet exciting unconfirmed (first party haha lol) developers they can call fanboy because I chose to believe vp head of xbox insted of random change of narrative anonymous sources

I present my evidence:

crossfirea9k56.jpg

when vp spencer take the stage in announce crossfire he was only not announce new game but teasing the incredible work see will from Panay just think about it panay has added crossfire to P R O J E C T S C A R L E T T anaconda (the true performance leader( will actually is 2 lockearts in crossfire just about think it makes much sense and why not I believe just the words of journalist when it benefits PS5 change of narrative Xbox having crossfire locks the definatevly superior console to sony because you will link many xboxes using crossfire with deep partnership with doctor lisa shu and panos panay )))
evolution-of-surprised-pikachu-37825402.png

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Geezus I wished all the specs were just released already so that we can get over this dumb back and forth. Who cares if PS5 is stronger or if Scarlett is? Both will offer gigantic leap over current gen even over the X.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I know it game.... but it also secret code from panay and spencer to xbox family can be confident we are Performance Leaders we can make our own SKU... remember xbox said they invented something new for there conference... something new... panos panay, phil spencer under direction of nadella and unprecedented partnership with doctor lisa shu invented crossfire... exclusive to project scarlett ... power is important to xbox and MS for next generation... no way they allow sony to be undisputed performance leaders... inventing crossfire for console ensures the dominance of the teraflops and gives choice to gamers...

you can call a fanboy but then we also have:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9yr10p/next_gen_consoles_in_crossfire/

https://www.gameinformer.com/e3-2019/2019/06/09/crossfire-x-blasting-onto-xbox-one-first

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/aoswrw/future_of_crossfire_and_navi/

seriosly people on these topic underestimate the monster that is Microsoft of a company... like lego, not, like minecraft, scarlett will be the building block of new era of gaming...

also not related totally... people in this topioc insult people with broken english.... but I preffer get broken english than broken heart...

I'm dying over here Kayle...

hmqgg

Nov 1, 2017
Worth noting the following post from Jawed at B3D:

It's pretty clear RDNA is a brand new from scratch architecture, so any talk of Navi being a RDNA/GCN hybrid is bullshit peddled by people who probably heard that Navi will support the GCN ISA and misunderstood it.

We need to start treating these rumours and speculation from sites like wccftech with the scrutiny they deserve, instead of taking them as facts to justify even further speculation and conjecture.

Well if the shoe fits...

It's pretty clear hmqgg is saying "Arden" is that MCM with stacked DRAM and processors on an interposer.

The E3 reveal disproves that as BS. And hmqgg is now denying having ever claimed to have hinted as such.

Not a great look for him.

Both Anaconda and Lockhart will use GDDR6, I knew this last year and discussed these specs with many.
Arden and Argalus are on another level, and what I said 'find out' simply means someone finds the file contains Arden info.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it kinda funny that if rumors are to believed Sony changed plans from a 2019 to 2020 release (we know since Cerny interview that it'll be a 2020 release) and beefed up their hardware and now MS supposedly can't change much (only clock speed) but we are still 18 months away from release. If Sony can change their plans midway I think MS can still beef up their hardware too. Those dev kits are target kits. Nothing is final. I really like that we'll get two beasts and since they'll both use quite identical parts game development for multi plat titles should be a joy.
Sony changed their plans and went from $399 to $499. Thats how they got a more powerful system.

MS was already at $499 for their premium console. They cant go any higher because they were already at their max.

They might change the clocks just like they did last gen to reduce any difference, but last gen they had a much bigger console than Sony which allowed them to push the clocks a bit higher (853mhz vs 800 mhz and 1.7ghz vs 1.6 ghz). Didnt make much of a difference. most multiplats are 900p vs 1080p on the ps4.

The difference last gen was 50% when the consoles were fist announced. 40% at launch.There were some 720p games initially when devs were half assing ports and settled for 720p versions but since that first year, pretty much everything has been 900p. next gen the difference is going to be 10% max. thats not even going to register as a 3 fps increase in a 30 fps game because most games will be locked anyway. the games will be virtually identical.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
This thread needs more popcorn gifs then during the MS conference. That possibly stronger PS5 tweet really kicked a hornet's nest, huh.
all it did was bring out more of the "sony is always better" camp to come out and fight those who are "xbox will be better because of X reason".

this thread has become a s-show. i try to keep up in hopes to learn more about the next machines and instead i see conversations of why this or that may be more powerful... straight up negativity is drowning out those technical and informed posts i look forward to read...

i wish we had different threads for each tbh. i dont think i can handle this much toxicity anymore. sigh ...

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I know it game.... but it also secret code from panay and spencer to xbox family can be confident we are Performance Leaders we can make our own SKU... remember xbox said they invented something new for there conference... something new... panos panay, phil spencer under direction of nadella and unprecedented partnership with doctor lisa shu invented crossfire... exclusive to project scarlett ... power is important to xbox and MS for next generation... no way they allow sony to be undisputed performance leaders... inventing crossfire for console ensures the dominance of the teraflops and gives choice to gamers...

you can call a fanboy but then we also have:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9yr10p/next_gen_consoles_in_crossfire/

https://www.gameinformer.com/e3-2019/2019/06/09/crossfire-x-blasting-onto-xbox-one-first

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/aoswrw/future_of_crossfire_and_navi/

seriosly people on these topic underestimate the monster that is Microsoft of a company... like lego, not, like minecraft, scarlett will be the building block of new era of gaming...

also not related totally... people in this topioc insult people with broken english.... but I preffer get broken english than broken heart...

The Truth of Lettuce

i3o2dc28m6k21.jpg

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Where did this info come from that Sony changed their timing? Is it just speculation based on missing e3 and Microsoft no longer being obvious about being more powerful? Are there any quotes or anonymous rumors? Or is this just ERA speculation?

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell some of you lot saying this thread is toxic. It got better when I ignored the ones who kept trying to instigate a console war, why not do the same?

There are a lot of good people in here that can sort the bullshit rumors out, I didn't mind lurking for a while during my insane work related hours because some of it was a joy to read.

If you think it was toxic because it seems that many are saying the PS5 might be stronger than Scarlett now, it was definitely the same when it was the opposite, except the annoyance was dished out by a different group of people.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Where did this info come from that Sony changed their timing? Is it just speculation based on missing e3 and Microsoft no longer being obvious about being more powerful? Are there any quotes or anonymous rumors? Or is this just ERA speculation?
Everything is speculation or rumor now, nothing is confirmed.

Rumors were that Sony was targetting 2019, but pushed it back.
Rumors were that Microsoft would have the stronger console because of the extra time.
Rumors say that developers say that PS5 currently has stronger DevKits.

All rumors.

ABrokenToy

Nov 19, 2017
I just think it's highly unprofessional of a gaming journalist to even post about rumors like this. Just my honest opinion.

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
Damn permanent ban for kayle!
I think it is too harsh I feel sorry for him, yes he was too hanged up with who is most powerful and yes he caused a lot of derailment. At least he was honest with his alliance oh well good luck bud

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Everything is speculation or rumor now, nothing is confirmed.

Rumors were that Sony was targetting 2019, but pushed it back.
Rumors were that Microsoft would have the stronger console because of the extra time.
Rumors say that developers say that PS5 currently has stronger DevKits.

All rumors.

I hear you, just wondering if the rumors were reliable or not. Like someone verified here saying it, or the Reiner rumor that might carry more weight then just wild speculation.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I hear you, just wondering if the rumors were reliable or not. Like someone verified here saying it, or the Reiner rumor that might carry more weight then just wild speculation.
Reiner is like the only person with their real name known to side one way or another on he power debate, even if only a rumor.

Mula

Banned
Jan 18, 2019
Both Anaconda and Lockhart will use GDDR6, I knew this last year and discussed these specs with many.
Arden and Argalus are on another level, and what I said 'find out' simply means someone finds the file contains Arden info.
Yeah What does that mean, those vague statements are annoying af

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
So Arden and Argalus are the mid-gen refreshes from what im understanding. Another level is beyond what we seen in the Scarlett tease imo.

Fucking hell some of you lot saying this thread is toxic. It got better when I ignored the ones who kept trying to instigate a console war, why not do the same?

There are a lot of good people in here that can sort the bullshit rumors out, I didn't mind lurking for a while during my insane work related hours because some of it was a joy to read.

If you think it was toxic because it seems that many are saying the PS5 might be stronger than Scarlett now, it was definitely the same when it was the opposite, except the annoyance was dished out by a different group of people.
its the back and forth from both parties. its fuel from both ends. I've ignored so many people that it's just become a daily habit. why do i need to keep doing that when itll just end up being 2-3 people's post ill only see? Viewing multiple perspectives is a beauty of forums like this but its becoming just unbearable. like tf is kayle's purpose(now his alt)? its embarrassing.

I dont think its toxic because some tweet says ps5 is stronger than scarlett. its become toxic because of the narrative is has generated with both parties. plus you have more folks in this forum who are more interested in the next sony console so it just leads to more fuel into that fire. (poll provided the numbers of where the forum thinks) Also, when you see anything positive for xbox, it gets drowned out very quickly because a small amount of folk in this forum are more interested in the next xbox console. This is an easy observation and to think that its equal for both is naive.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Arden and Argalus are the mid-gen refreshes from what im understanding. Another level is beyond what we seen in the Scarlett tease imo.

its the back and forth from both parties. its fuel from both ends. I've ignored so many people that it's just become a daily habit. why do i need to keep doing that when itll just end up being 2-3 people's post ill only see? Viewing multiple perspectives is a beauty of forums like this but its becoming just unbearable. like tf is kayle's purpose(now his alt)? its embarrassing.

I dont think its toxic because some tweet says ps5 is stronger than scarlett. its become toxic because of the narrative is has generated with both parties. plus you have more folks in this forum who are more interested in the next sony console so it just leads to more fuel into that fire. (poll provided the numbers of where the forum thinks) Also, when you see anything positive for xbox, it gets drowned out very quickly because a small amount of folk in this forum are more interested in the next xbox console. This is an easy observation and to think that its equal for both is naive.
If it gets to you so much, put the thread on ignore for a while. I get it, some here are downright embarassing, but I've gotten used to just scroll past their posts after a bit and focus on the ones whose posts are almost always informative.

Think it will get better once Colbert gets back from his work related sabbatical from this thread too.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, unless one of new consoles will somehow end up being some 33-50% faster than the other one - and I'm not talking about flops as much as about frame times - it won't really matter which one is faster. A difference of less than 25% won't translate into much on practice.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I'm still most interested to hear more about Lockhart, as I try to spend the least amount of money on gaming as possible lol.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Also to keep in mind, the only time we saw chips was a CGI render, and we can't be sure it was Anaconda vs. Lockhart.

It's a fair point, but based on the E3 reveal and responses from Matt Booty, it's also fair to say that at this point we can't even be sure that Lockheart even exists and hasn't been canned.

Either way, I just can't see a monolithic APU sku and chiplet-based sku co-existing. The engineering costs alone for both products would be monumental. Kinda defeats the point of a 2-SKU strategy.

I for one am shocked to see Kayle banned again on another site /s. Actually am surprised they survived this long.

Indeed it's why I was had issue with their push labelling jaguar cores as "custom CPU" for XB1/XBX. As where technically it's true the way they pushed to make it seem like it was fundamental changes to jaguar that would affect gaming performance when in reality the tweaks only relate to optimizing some things for the XB1's OS due to their hypervisor setup.

To MS's credit they do provide deeper technical breakdown via hotchips conference.

TBF, I just see that as an honest case of MS being very proud of the work their engineers did with AMD.

We here very much take for granted the amount if engineering effort and expertise required to produce a piece of custom hardware, with even the most seemingly minor tweaks from a reference AMD design.

I can accept companies wanting to honour the achievements of their engineers by distinguishing their designs as very much custom silicon. In some ways I think the converse creates a misconception among the misinformed masses that these custom console chips are just trivially produced off the shelf GPUs with a few minor tweaks added.

You should watch the Project Scarlett reveal trailer again.
That SOC and RAM area looks very different from a classic layout like they used in Xbox One S and X
So could very well be some kind of Interposer.

qDHzJJi.png

Not really.

Ask yourself what the purpose of an interposer would be without stacked memory or two disctinct CPU and GPU dice?

It's clearly a single piece of silicon for the APU and the mere existence of the GDDR6 dies precludes any stacked DRAM which was the subject of the patent/tweet that hmqgg confirmed as "Arden".

I specifically asked hmqgg to clarify which part of that post they were confirming, and there was no clarification.

I asked him to confirm on two occasions.

First he denied ever saying Scarlett was an MCM+HBM. And after I responded to him quoting his post in which he did, he chose not to respond at all.

I not one for dogpiles or witch hunts for insiders, but at least respond when one of your previous leaks is called into question by officially revealed info..

If you're taking it upon yourself to leak insider info., if you're wrong you should own it too.

TheThreadsThatBindUs :Looking back at the MS conference where the devs, I become more and more incensed every time I see it. I do not know whether this is an American thing (especially given how PoTUS is a beacon for normalizing lying) to do or a corporate thing but it felt like engineers had little to no respect for intelligence of potential end users.

Problematic quotes:

• "Resolutions like we have never seen before" - Are we going to play all games at beyond native 4K because we have seen native 4K on X.
  • "We are seeing framerates up to 120fps" - Are the next gen games going to be consistently up to 120fps?
  • "Combination of SSD and Solid State Drive" - Really, really?
While I have no doubt that Scarlette would be a truly generational upgrade, I wish MS did not treat the existing and potential userbase to be filled with ignoramuses and idiots.

I get what you're saying. It's frustrating to me too.

I get that marketing often thinks they need to dumb things down for the masses, but don't put out intentionally disingenuous info with the intent to deceive. When their competitors aren't doing it to the same extent it makes MS look even worse.

It's a minor peave, but something I think MS's Xbox should consider. As at the end of the day, i'm sure Scarlett will end up being an impressive piece of engineering, so there's no reason to promote it with BS numbers.

That's the thing with leaks. If the leak turns out to be wrong you'll get called a liar even if your information was accurate at some point. Just like my post about Yukon on the last page. Let's say the Yukon document never goes public and I come into a thread like this in 2012 and tell you that the next Xbox will contain two GPUs and three separate sets of CPU cores and that Microsoft is planning to offer a streaming service for videogames and is planning to release stand alone AR glasses. I'd be called a liar in 2013 when the actual product was revealed either because parts of the original strategy got canned or postponed.

Sorry mate. I can't empathise with this at all.

No-one forces you to leak insider info.. If you chose to do so of your own volition, and you end up being wrong you need to own it -- and preferably gracefully.

I personally, don't care if your insider info. is wrong or not, as long as you take responsibility for what you yourself decided to disclose.

So we still have yet to see a next-gen exclusive

I think this is the most interesting thing about E3 this year.

This time last year we had demos that were so clearly beyond the capability of current consoles we could only consider them next-gen.

I can only surmise that:
A) Publishers learned their lesson from the "downgrade-gate" gamer backlash (unlikely)
B) Next-gen isn't a big enough hardware leap to provide as much of a visual upgrade (doubtful)
C) Or the current state is an indication that development economics are now the bottleneck and pubs/devs aren't even willing to push for massive increases in visual fidelity because they can't accomodate the corresponding increase asset product costs (possible)

Eitherway we'll have to see as we get closer to next-gen console launch in late 2020.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that those statements by Lisa Su yesterday at E3 were likely provided by both Sony and Microsoft, but that is kind of the point that I was making. Microsoft is not shying away at all from putting out the clear message about this co-engineering approach and even "ultimate gaming experience" goal in what Lisa said yesterday. In fact the official Project Scarlett page on the Xbox site says "Project Scarlett will set a new bar for console power, speed and performance". So Microsoft is definitely not shying away from their goals with Project Scarlett in their messaging so far.
I think that you are reading too much into this and kinesic analysis of Lisa / MS lady. To me it just looks like a case of wanting to show both of their partners in a positive, yet explicitly non-comparative light.

They say something nice about Sony and working with them in GPU. They say something nice about MS and working with them in CPU. It makes both partners look good while giving the appearance of not showing favouritism – a very important trait for a company that wants to supply custom hw to multiple vendors.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
If it gets to you so much, put the thread on ignore for a while. I get it, some here are downright embarassing, but I've gotten used to just scroll past their posts after a bit and focus on the ones whose posts are almost always informative.

Think it will get better once Colbert gets back from his work related sabbatical from this thread too.
yeah, you're right. i need a break from this. e3 is just a great thing to see new ideas, new paths, new games, release dates and overall hope to what's next for gaming ovreall. then i just read constant reactions, when i dont really look for them, about how sucky everything is and it just becomes a cycle in everything gaming related.

like damn, can i get any excitement and enjoyment of what we are able to do as a luxury? anyway. thanks for the reply. ill go cool off now lol

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, you're right. i need a break from this. e3 is just a great thing to see new ideas, new paths, new games, release dates and overall hope to what's next for gaming ovreall. then i just read constant reactions, when i dont really look for them, about how sucky everything is and it just becomes a cycle in everything gaming related.

like damn, can i get any excitement and enjoyment of what we are able to do as a luxury? anyway. thanks for the reply. ill go cool off now lol
Yeah I know what you mean.

Sometimes it gets unbearable, and sometimes you know, it's like when you just cant help look at the aftermath of a terrible accident while driving.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Thanks for the response and clarification.

Although, i think this just muddies the waters even more.

We've all been operating on the assumption that Arden and Argalus ARE Anaconda and Lockheart -- just AMD codenames to the latter MS internal codenames.

My understanding of your previous posts was that this was the case.

Aren't you changing the story then?

Status
Not open for further replies.