What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Man, what an unhealthy mess to have people with pitchforks demanding the mods ban someone who shared information earlier as they try argue that they were caught in "lies" in a stupid next gen speculation thread.

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
This thread is golden, so much drama, mostly positive, and very informative too, maybe some forget at times this is a speculation thread but one thing is certain and we all agree on: next gen can't come soon enough!

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
You should watch the Project Scarlett reveal trailer again.
That SOC and RAM area looks very different from a classic layout like they used in Xbox One S and X
So could very well be some kind of Interposer.

qDHzJJi.png

Parasyte29

May 12, 2019
here is a question. assuming both are 499, but ms has a bunch of games pass games working day one, which do you buy? given games pass $10, I have a feeling ms could udse that as a club to keep hiting sony with.
I learned a lesson this past gen, I went with Xbox because that was where my friends were, but almost all of them are on Playstation now. I will go where the games are next gen.
MS still hasn't really shown any compelling exclusives that make me proud to be an Xbox owner or make me want their next console. I don't care about Forza, Gears is good but was never a major draw for me, and I stopped being interested in Halo after Halo 4.

The console with the most compelling exclusive titles is where I will be next gen.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I specifically asked hmqgg to clarify which part of that post they were confirming, and there was no clarification.

You should watch the Project Scarlett reveal trailer again.
That SOC and RAM area looks very different from a classic layout like they used in Xbox One S and X
So could very well be some kind of Interposer.

qDHzJJi.png

What this render shows is a traditional package surrounded by GDDR6, which is surrounded by a metal ring for a heatsink fixture that covers both SoC and RAM. It's going to be a big heatsink similar to what you see on a discrete graphics card. Probably paste to the SoC and graphite TIM pads on the RAM.

CrypticSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that has me more excited next gen is cross play than whether one box is 10 percent stronger. If the difference is much smaller than PS4 and XB1 I don't care. What I care about is being able to play 3rd party games with my whole gaming group.

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This would explain a lot about the change in tone with MS's messaging regarding their new console.

I agree, but why on earth would MS have thought giving the PS5 a head start would be a good idea? I cant imagine a world where they sat in a room and thought "lets wait a year and be more powerful and give PS5 5-10 million unit headstart". Yes I get they are moving away from xbox console sales as a unit of metric, almost all big tech providers are, but it would be a terrible look for them to sell less then half of what their main competitor sold.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear that hmqgg has access to certain info and is sometimes be wrong on other things .
Like he was talking about the gpu doing stuff after the wired interview with Cerny talking about SSD being faster than anything out right now.
While later we saw the patent from Sony show something different .
Either way i think his info is okay but i will have to separate his opinion from it .

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Devkits don't tell the whole story this far out. What does is that Microsoft realizes that Sony is most likely hitting the same pricepoint as them. That means you can't for certain claim to be most powerful this far out. Microsoft isn't gonna use their "Infinite Warchest" to help with this as fanboys so desperately think MS can do.

One of the most reasonable takes I've seen. Seems like MS went from being VERY sure they would be better to UNCLEAR. And until they know more they are playing their cards close to the vest. Continuing to come out swinging on the power metric now and then failing would be terrible. Closer to launch when they are sure who is more powerful (by whatever metric they choose to use), then can still beat their chest over it.

If all the back and forth in this thread has told me one thing, its that the two machines will be damn close with only minor "wins" on either side in different areas.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It's clear that hmqgg has access to certain info and is sometimes be wrong on other things .
Like he was talking about the gpu doing stuff after the wired interview with Cerny talking about SSD being faster than anything out right now.
While later we saw the patent from Sony show something different .
Either way i think his info is okay but i will have to separate his opinion from it .
He has said he doesn't have info on PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, did anyone else feel there was more to it when Lisa Su said that the chip in Scarlett is "co-engineered and custom developed" by Microsoft/AMD than just repeating what Spencer said on-stage at the keynote?

MS 'may' have a deeper collaboration with AMD than Sony.

Navi doesn't feature hardware accelerated ray tracing, it's something that is confirmed to come next year with a next generation architecture built on 7nm+. And it's confirmed Scarlett has that feature. So Microsoft pulling a significant feature like this from a yet-to-announced architecture could be what that "co-engineered" part refers to. That is if PS5 doesn't feature hardware accelerated ray tracing.

Matt already confirmed that PS5 has hardware RT too so you can probably drop this theory.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
TheThreadsThatBindUs :Looking back at the MS conference where the devs, I become more and more incensed every time I see it. I do not know whether this is an American thing (especially given how PoTUS is a beacon for normalizing lying) to do or a corporate thing but it felt like engineers had little to no respect for intelligence of potential end users.

Problematic quotes:

• "Resolutions like we have never seen before" - Are we going to play all games at beyond native 4K because we have seen native 4K on X.
  • "We are seeing framerates up to 120fps" - Are the next gen games going to be consistently up to 120fps?
  • "Combination of SSD and Solid State Drive" - Really, really?
While I have no doubt that Scarlette would be a truly generational upgrade, I wish MS did not treat the existing and potential userbase to be filled with ignoramuses and idiots.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
TheThreadsThatBindUs :Looking back at the MS conference where the devs, I become more and more incensed every time I see it. I do not know whether this is an American thing (especially given how PoTUS is a beacon for normalizing lying) to do or a corporate thing but it felt like engineers had little to no respect for intelligence of potential end users.

Problematic quotes:

• "Resolutions like we have never seen before" - Are we going to play all games at beyond native 4K because we have seen native 4K on X.
  • "We are seeing framerates up to 120fps" - Are the next gen games going to be consistently up to 120fps?
While I have no doubt that Scarlette would be a truly generational upgrade, I wish MS did not treat the existing and potential userbase to be filled with ignoramuses and idiots.

SoC and SSD in your 3rd point.

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well my uneducated take on all this is Microsoft was originally sure Sony would launch in 2019/early 2020 at 8TF $399 as Albert has hinted.
They maybe thought a bigger build cost at $499 would guarantee them the power advantage, hence the "we will set the benchmark talk" and also a streaming or lower power device not too far from the PS5 would come in at $299 or $350 to corner that market.

What seems to have happened now is Sony are aiming for the best possible hardware at whatever cost $499 $450? and Microsoft are now back tracking their wording into services and all round balanced chit chat.
They may now know the PS5 will basically be the same or even more powerful at roughly the same costing.

We have the same chip maker, same philosophy about game only hardware, same ideas, ssd, RT and so on, it's pretty obvious now both consoles are going to be basically the same give or take 5 or 10%. This is good IMO because if one was more powerful than the other by any significant margin I really doubt you would see that advantage anyway from 3rd parties.

I personally think Microsoft have been a bit blaze in their thinking, mabe that stems from the Pro and the X in that they were sure they could outsmart and out engineer anything Sony could do?

So now it goes back to a lull until more info is discussed from the hardware makers themselves, leaks and insides are pretty much incorrect most of the time so I'll wait until I hear it from the horse's mouth. Things that nobody still knows are clocks, secret sauce, costs and the number of SKU's.

Just what I think reading between the lines but I could be well off.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I specifically asked hmqgg to clarify which part of that post they were confirming, and there was no clarification.

This is why I take hmqgg with a grain of salt. Not because I don't think they have insider information, but because they so rarely seem to be willing to be clear on their information. It can be misleading, and at worst, intentionally so.

That hasn't stopped them from making claims about the PS5, whether or not they are true. How can they say they don't know about the PS5 and also say the secret to the PS5 SSD is GPU decompression?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Which is my point in a way .
When it comes to insiders you have to learn to separate the info they have to when they speculating\ have a opinion of there own .
Cause sometimes people can't tell the difference and use the opinion \ speculating as part of the debate because the person is a insider .

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
That's the thing with leaks. If the leak turns out to be wrong you'll get called a liar even if your information was accurate at some point. Just like my post about Yukon on the last page. Let's say the Yukon document never goes public and I come into a thread like this in 2012 and tell you that the next Xbox will contain two GPUs and three separate sets of CPU cores and that Microsoft is planning to offer a streaming service for videogames and is planning to release stand alone AR glasses. I'd be called a liar in 2013 when the actual product was revealed either because parts of the original strategy got canned or postponed.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
One of the most reasonable takes I've seen. Seems like MS went from being VERY sure they would be better to UNCLEAR. And until they know more they are playing their cards close to the vest. Continuing to come out swinging on the power metric now and then failing would be terrible. Closer to launch when they are sure who is more powerful (by whatever metric they choose to use), then can still beat their chest over it.

If all the back and forth in this thread has told me one thing, its that the two machines will be damn close with only minor "wins" on either side in different areas.
Parity Hardware wise between both machines would be wonderful and hopefully make for a calmer state of affairs going into next gen. Any minor wins from either side though will be the battleground for many a console warrior I fear

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Problematic quotes:

This feels like a bit of a reach. Many companies around the world advertise their products at the furthest edge of their capabilities, even though thats not where most activity will take place. Many games on the XB1X are not 4K but much of their advertising revolves around "True 4K". Phone providers advertise maximum speeds for their phones that are not used all the time. ISP's list max speeds "UP TO 500GBps". This doesnt seem an unusual thing for MS or really any other tech company.

As for the resolutions andframerates, it felt to me like they were talking to console customers. Clearly PC people have had high framerates and resolutions before.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I cant keep up. Did anything come from the AMD conference last night?

For consoles, not explicitly.

But we got information on the performance of the first Navi PC chips coming this year. We got details on the RDNA architecture and what's changed vs GCN. And we got confirmation that future Navi parts will have some level of ray tracing acceleration.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I was looking through some research into hybrid CPU/GPU RT and one interesting thing I gleamed from it is that, seemingly, k-d trees are more suited for CPU acceleration (through wide vector execution) than BVHs. That could shine some light into Sony's interest in k-d trees and AVX512.

Also, there's been some really cool advancements into the whole "updating the k-d trees in real time" problem.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018

What this render shows is a traditional package surrounded by GDDR6, which is surrounded by a metal ring for a heatsink fixture that covers both SoC and RAM. It's going to be a big heatsink similar to what you see on a discrete graphics card. Probably paste to the SoC and graphite TIM pads on the RAM.
Also possible, but I'm not so sure about it.
Those holes or whatever look weird and a normal metal ring to relieve pressure on the die could be made simpler.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England

But we got information on the performance of the first Navi PC chips coming this year. We got details on the RDNA architecture and what's changed vs GCN. And we got confirmation that future Navi parts will have some level of ray tracing acceleration.
Ok cheers!

May try and catch up on some of it after work

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I agree, but why on earth would MS have thought giving the PS5 a head start would be a good idea? I cant imagine a world where they sat in a room and thought "lets wait a year and be more powerful and give PS5 5-10 million unit headstart". Yes I get they are moving away from xbox console sales as a unit of metric, almost all big tech providers are, but it would be a terrible look for them to sell less then half of what their main competitor sold.

I think it's more that they decided releasing Scarlett any less than 3 years after the X was out of the question.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

He clearly said he had PS5 info in response to one of the users in this thread that said something like: "hmgg doesn't know shit about PS5". I remember that clearly. He also said that once the Dante dekit (anaconda) was in the wild it out performed PS5 devkit.

I don't even care about banning the guy, I don't think he deserves it to be honest but, this should be a lesson to everyone to take insiders with a grain of salt.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
This feels like a bit of a reach. Many companies around the world advertise their products at the furthest edge of their capabilities, even though thats not where most activity will take place. Many games on the XB1X are not 4K but much of their advertising revolves around "True 4K". Phone providers advertise maximum speeds for their phones that are not used all the time. ISP's list max speeds "UP TO 500GBps". This doesnt seem an unusual thing for MS or really any other tech company.

As for the resolutions andframerates, it felt to me like they were talking to console customers. Clearly PC people have had high framerates and resolutions before.

Not really. I did not knock them for mentioning "8K" or "VRR" because they essentially mentioned specs for HDMI 2.1 and neither of them will be used on a regular basis if at all for gaming unless you have the hardware and software support.

My bone to pick were with aforementioned aspects because we will never see resolutions beyond 4K in next gen games and/or 120fps (barring exceptions and perhaps for BC titles). It is literally like pulling numbers from the void, without context and presenting them as comparative improvements that will implemented as part of next standards. This is far more egregious than stating bandwidth numbers for RAM or Storage I/O or TF value which are innately tied to the performance of a system.

I remember Sony pulling a very similar stunt with PS3 reveal. There are times when you can smell the bullshit right away because within the context of existing and expected performance paradigms, these come off an absolute outliers.

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
no way there is microsoft gave chance to a sony be the Performance Leader I more trust in the BIG hint phil spencer do at them conference then a only tweet exciting unconfirmed (first party haha lol) developers they can call fanboy because I chose to believe vp head of xbox insted of random change of narrative anonymous sources

I present my evidence:

crossfirea9k56.jpg

when vp spencer take the stage in announce crossfire he was only not announce new game but teasing the incredible work see will from Panay just think about it panay has added crossfire to P R O J E C T S C A R L E T T anaconda (the true performance leader( will actually is 2 lockearts in crossfire just about think it makes much sense and why not I believe just the words of journalist when it benefits PS5 change of narrative Xbox having crossfire locks the definatevly superior console to sony because you will link many xboxes using crossfire with deep partnership with doctor lisa shu and panos panay )))

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Well my uneducated take on all this is Microsoft was originally sure Sony would launch in 2019/early 2020 at 8TF $399 as Albert has hinted.
They maybe thought a bigger build cost at $499 would guarantee them the power advantage, hence the "we will set the benchmark talk" and also a streaming or lower power device not too far from the PS5 would come in at $299 or $350 to corner that market.

What seems to have happened now is Sony are aiming for the best possible hardware at whatever cost $499 $450? and Microsoft are now back tracking their wording into services and all round balanced chit chat.
They may now know the PS5 will basically be the same or even more powerful at roughly the same costing.

We have the same chip maker, same philosophy about game only hardware, same ideas, ssd, RT and so on, it's pretty obvious now both consoles are going to be basically the same give or take 5 or 10%. This is good IMO because if one was more powerful than the other by any significant margin I really doubt you would see that advantage anyway from 3rd parties.

I personally think Microsoft have been a bit blaze in their thinking, mabe that stems from the Pro and the X in that they were sure they could outsmart and out engineer anything Sony could do?

So now it goes back to a lull until more info is discussed from the hardware makers themselves, leaks and insides are pretty much incorrect most of the time so I'll wait until I hear it from the horse's mouth. Things that nobody still knows are clocks, secret sauce, costs and the number of SKU's.

Just what I think reading between the lines but I could be well off.

It's so obvious Sony cancelled their reveal of the ps5. People said they needed to go back and figure out the ssd and 8tf might lead to criticism.

What I don't think is Sony will end up with better hardware. One will have an edge in tf power and the other will have an edge in loading and maybe ray tracing. I don't think one of these companies is going to have the complete package.

I also think Sony are still aiming at 399. How they're going to be able to pull it off will be interesting. If even still a choice.

This entire topic is now just going to be waiting for information for an entire year leading up to the next e3 and after. Gonna be a slow grind.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
He clearly said he had PS5 info in response to one of the users in this thread that said to something like: "hmgg doesn't know shit about PS5". I remember that clearly. He also said that once the Dante dekit (anaconda) was in the wild it out performed PS5 devkit.

I don't even care about banning the guy, I don't think he deserves it to be honest but, this should be a lesson to everyone to take insiders with a grain of salt.
And maybe it does outperform the PS5 dev kit.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Also possible, but I'm not so sure about it.
Those holes or whatever look weird and a normal metal ring to relieve pressure on the die could be made simpler.
It's a render, so we don't know what features are accurately represented. The holes on the outer ring? Those would be to allow for natural convection. You don't want air pressure constantly cycling in that cavity.

BTW, based on the render, I'm anticipating Scarlett die size > 400mm^2. This is based on its shorter side needing to be at least as wide as the narrow side of the Navi chiplet. It's hard to get ratios from isometric views, but the Scarlett die appears to have a > 2:1 length to width ratio, which puts it in greater than 400mm^2 territory. It looks like it's probably Zen 2 cores with a GPU top hat.

Last edited:

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I think what's most mind-blowing regarding the "leaks" is that we consistently had Anaconda at 12-14TFLOPs while right now it looks like anything >10TFLOPs will be a stretch for either one of them. Navi with it's changed architecture in the configuration of 40-48CUs cannot reach 12 TFLOPs unless it's clocked beyond 2GHz which is impossible for a console (PC as well though). The only way it's plausable to hit such figures is using over 60 CUs but then we're talking about a GPU that's the size of PS4/Xbone/Pro/XBX APUs.

I don't really understand what exactly gave the leakers this impression. The only way >12 TFLOPs was even remotely possible was to use Vega with its CUs (and all of its deficiencies).

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017

It's good to see consoles once again pushing the envelope of tech beyond where even high-end PCs are.

Last time I remember that happening was the PS3/360 era, when the PS3 had the amazing multi core CELL CPU and the 360 had GPU abilities your couldn't even buy on the highest-end PC cards yet.

Now we have what seems to be SSD tech and raytracing hardware this isn't on PC yet. Pretty cool.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
guys, do you remember how many months before the release of Ps4 ans Xbox one we had all the info or at least some confirmed specs from the companies??

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

What is the reasonable expectation here? Console GPU based on 5700 or something beyond that already has RT tech incorporated into it from AMD, given that the consoles do not come to market (in all likelihood) before holiday 2020?

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
no way there is microsoft gave chance to a sony be the Performance Leader I more trust in the BIG hint phil spencer do at them conference then a only tweet exciting unconfirmed (first party haha lol) developers they can call fanboy because I chose to believe vp head of xbox insted of random change of narrative anonymous sources

I present my evidence:

crossfirea9k56.jpg

when vp spencer take the stage in announce crossfire he was only not announce new game but teasing the incredible work see will from Panay just think about it panay has added crossfire to P R O J E C T S C A R L E T T anaconda (the true performance leader( will actually is 2 lockearts in crossfire just about think it makes much sense and why not I believe just the words of journalist when it benefits PS5 change of narrative Xbox having crossfire locks the definatevly superior console to sony because you will link many xboxes using crossfire with deep partnership with doctor lisa shu and panos panay )))
You know thats a game right and not amd's crossfire for multi gpu.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
My take on reading things over the last year and through E3 now is that it does seem likely that Sony had originally planned PS5 for a 2019 launch and delayed to 2020, so the PS5 and Anaconda will likely end up being pretty close in overall system components and power at launch. It is certainly even possible that one system could end up having a paper TFLOPS advantage and not be the best performing console in real gaming scenarios depending on the overall architectural decisions. They are both going to make great next gen consoles that apparently will both have SSDs and some form of ray tracing.

I do think it is fair to point out in terms of co-engineering and partnership with AMD on next gen SOCs that Microsoft has at least been more willing to be right out there front and center in available opportunities with AMD, including Phil Spencer at CES with Lisa Su in January. Microsoft was on stage with Lisa Su at her Computex keynote in front of a slide titled 'Deep Partnership' with a picture of an Xbox One X on it, and Lisa asked the woman to talk about how their relationship has changed and gotten deeper, and she says that they got together 2 years ago to plan the next generation of Ryzen. And then they both act excited about "next level" secrets in their work together on graphics, gaming and cloud. She also said that they have "completely moved the needle in how they approach co-development together".

And then of course you have the exact words that Lisa shared yesterday during the AMD E3 briefing about both PS5 and Project Scarlett that show even if you want to simply say it was their provided PR to AMD that Microsoft is really wanting that continued message about co-engineering and deep partnership to come through clearly.

Lisa Su on PS5: "Working collaboratively with Sony over the last few years to build a custom chip based on the Zen 2 and next gen Radeon Architectures."

Lisa Su on Project Scarlett: "Custom Processor co-engineered between our team and the Microsoft team, with one goal in mind, to deliver the ultimate gaming experience. It uses our Zen 2 cpu core and next generation Radeon RDNA gaming graphics architecture."

Given that Navi will be more power efficient in general than Vega and even some of the Sony patents about cooling and rumors about HBM memory, maybe it wouldn't be shocking to see a small TFLOPS advantage in a PS5 over Anaconda. This could even explain some early dev kit rumors that the Game Informer editor had heard about PS5 being more powerful in the dev kits (he clarified later it was based on supposed TFLOPS).

I would also note that even the internal Microsoft marketing materials that were shared on here with verbiage about Anaconda always said "performance leader" and not "world's most powerful console" wording. Phil Spencer has repeatedly talked about performance and frame rate for next gen including in a recent post E3 interview with Engadget about Project Scarlett. Mike Ybarra from Microsoft was interviewed by Windows Central and said that games playing best on their system was still very important to the team when asked about Scarlett versus PS5.

It would not be crazy to think that we end up with a PS5 that could claim "most powerful" based on a small traditional TFLOPS advantage, and a Project Scarlett Anaconda next generation Xbox that ends up performing better in real world gaming scenarios based on the co-engineering SOC work with AMD and their own API level design and work with DXR and Variable Rate Shading for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.