Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT5| - It's in RDNA

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• Total voters

Luckydog

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think the main thing when astroturfing is to ensure your chosen product is always in the conversation, no matter what the topic. At least that way there is a chance that it can be relevant once again rather than completely forgotten by potential customers.

Maybe some of the astroturfers can correct this assumption if I've got things wrong? I'm happy to take all feedback on board ;)
well that was quick

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
In short:
RDNA Tearflops ≠ VEGA Teraflops
5700XT = 11 VEGA Teraflops
It’s more a matter of “peak teraflops is a terrible measure of gaming performance.” There is no simple multiplier at work. The 1.25x factor people have adopted here is likely not a reliable indicator (it was a description of how many instructions can be issued per clock cycle, which will already be factored into the published peak TF number.) So no, the 5700XT is not theoretically capable of 11 billion floating point operations per second. What it should be capable of is spending more time closer to its actual theoretical 9.75TF peak than an equivalent Vega GPU could with the same workload.

... and we’re seeing that borne out in benchmarks. The next generations consoles will be a significant leap forward in terms of what developers can actually get on the screen, which is what matters in the first place. The proof is in the pudding, as they say, and it’s likely to be at least the end of this year before we start to see any actual games. Next E3 will be the blowout once all the remaining big current generation titles have already shipped.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah,i guess we can expect something like that from Anaconda.
Any predictions for PS5 Anex? It’s a bit tricky to extrapolate Pro unlike 1X i suppose?
No PS5 prediction because we have no die to make guesses off, but I would guess less CUs based off Gonzalo clock.

It’s more a matter of “peak teraflops is a terrible measure of gaming performance.” There is no simple multiplier at work. The 1.25x factor people have adopted here is likely not a reliable indicator (it was a description of how many instructions can be issued per clock cycle, which will already be factored into the published peak TF number.) So no, the 5700XT is not theoretically capable of 11 billion floating point operations per second. What it should be capable of is spending more time closer to its actual theoretical 9.75TF peak than an equivalent Vega GPU could with the same workload.

... and we’re seeing that borne out in benchmarks. The next generations consoles will be a significant leap forward in terms of what developers can actually get on the screen, which is what matters in the first place. The proof is in the pudding, as they say, and it’s likely to be at least the end of this year before we start to see any actual games. Next E3 will be the blowout once all the remaining big current generation titles have already shipped.
The 1.25X is not included in TF numbers because it doesn’t affect them. The IPC number is a utilization or efficiency metric. TF is a theoretical capability measurement. The amount of theoretical compute per CU has not changed, but the way those ALUs are organized is vastly different than before.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think the main thing when astroturfing is to ensure your chosen product is always in the conversation, no matter what the topic. At least that way there is a chance that it can be relevant once again rather than completely forgotten by potential customers.

Maybe some of the astroturfers can correct this assumption if I've got things wrong? I'm happy to take all feedback on board ;)
Damn, was that a new record for rebanning? 😮

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
No PS5 prediction because we have no die to make guesses off, but I would guess less CUs based off Gonzalo clock.
Gonzalo was said to have Navi 10 lite.
So 36-40 CU with ~1800 mhz.

That being said the addition of RT and the rumors of high tfs in PS5 makes me doubt Gonzalo was PS5.

Gonzalo might have been Lockhart(half ROPs), or some other announced Chinese console.

Crusadernm

Nov 12, 2017
Are they suddenly cancelling Halo Infinity, Gears 5, Forza 8, Forza Horizon, and a possible Fable? I get people may not like the Gears/Forza/Halo constant hammering, but if these are their major AAA franchises, and they work in a bunch of AA stuff on a steady basis for cheap with gamepass, it seems a valid stategy. It may not be for everyone but it could be for them. And with Spencer saying he doesnt care how many consoles they sell, only who is using their services, then the Gamepass way may be good for them.
Yeah that response didn't even make sense. Not to forget Age of Empires 4, Microsoft Flight simulator, etc

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
My predict is based on precedent. The Xbox One X had clocks that roughly matched the RX570, which was around 100 MHz lower than RX580. RX 580 is the 180W card to compare to 5700 (non XT), so I subtracted a little more than 100 MHz from the game clock to get 1500MHz. Only a 300 MHz bump from X1X.

RX 570 is a full 30W below RX 580 with those clocks, despite only being 4 less CUs. 5W is probably due to slower RAM, but you’re probably saving 15W normalized for CU count just by lowering clock ~100 MHz.
Yeah, was def not saying you made your predictions off of the pastebin or anything, just a funny coincidence. Your posts in this thread have been very level headed and reasonable. I’m just glad more people are coming around to the idea of next gen consoles having higher clocks than previously expected now.

I actually think both consoles will have the same number of active CUs (56), any differences in clock speeds will come from cuts or innovations in other areas of the console, such as different memory and cooling setups..

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
IMO Navi is capable of doing 4 SEs of 10 dual CUs each. I think next year we will see 80 CU cards.

Consoles with have 3 SEs and 60 CUs. 54 active like Anex said.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
After reading the matt booty interview about the goal to release a First party game every 2 3 months on game pass , I kinda got the feeling that MS is done with AAA games .AA games released quickly is their model due to nature of gamepass (and their recent studio acquisitions also shows samething kinda, small AA studios).

Isn't that a bit alarming to Xbox gamers ?? AAA games take 4 to 5 years minimum . And sacrificing quality for quantity should not be objective of the platform holder.

Anyways this doesn't speak well to me but hey I haven't been their target audience since 2011 so maybe Xbox gamers are fine with this .
Maybe the gaming industry as a whole is also done with AAA gaming soon?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
You're failing to take into account the additional die area taken up by the RT hardware. In Turing, this is not insignificant.
It depends what they do. One of their research paper talks about only a 5% die cost for speeding up kd tree traversal.

AMD has already stated they’re going to target a limited number of RT effects for RDNA 2. I would expect their solution to be more compact.

What did this say again, I had the page open and it was a chart. I refreshed it and the tweet is dead now.
He keeps deleting the tweet to update the table. I edited the post to include the latest.

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Oman

Wtf Spinning you just cameback! Sigh

Jun 18, 2018
AMD has already stated they’re going to target a limited number of RT effects for RDNA 2. I would expect their solution to be more compact.
Devs get to choose what effects RT is used for. Heck, there is even a project where it's used for super sampling along aliasing edges.

Like NVidia's RTX cards, AMD are suggesting that there isn't the power to fully ray trace all lighting, shadows & reflections, so developers will choose where to apply it.

NVidia had a good talk on Ray Traced Irradiance Fields at GDC this year, hinting at a good use for rays that won't be as accurate as per pixel, but doesn't have the issue of scenes taking multiple seconds before their lighting data is complete.

Pheonix

Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
The problem is, that HBM2 + DDR4 has not the same bandwidith.

24GB GDDR6 RAM 14Gbps on a 386bit bus has a total bandwith of 672GB/s
HBM2 in a 2 stack (2*4GB) configuration at 1000MHz on a 2048 bit bus has a total bandwidth of 512GB/s
So you still need 160GB/s bandwidth with your DDR4 RAM solution to match GDDR6
And that would be a 256 bit interface with 5000MHz DDR4 RAM (8* 2GB)

HBM makes sense. HBM in combination with DDR4 does not make sense, unless you're okay with less total bandwidth.
And only in that case would you save any significant power savings over GDDR6 only.
Don't forget how that bandwidth is actually being used.

One pool of GDDR6 @672GB/s is sharing that bandwidth between the GPU and CPU. And we have all heard the horror stories of memory contention in a shared pool of RAM. So even if the CPU only needs like 50GB/s of bandwidth it ends up taking anywhere from 75GB/s and up.

With that split pool, all of that 512GB/s of HBM bandwidth is going to the GPU exclusively.

I can see a set up where sony puts 16GB of DDR4 RAM, 8GB reserved for OS and SSD and 8GB for games coupled with 8GB of HBM2 RAM. If so doing would be cheaper (and less power hungry) than going with one pool of 24GB GDDR6? I can see it happening.

chowyunfatt

Oct 28, 2017

What! can't take a light hearted comment or what.. I have know idea what you're even implying LOL.
I thought forums were supposed to be light hearted fun?

chowyunfatt

Oct 28, 2017
ms flight simulator?
Now thats one game I would be there day one for on new Xbox, Microsoft's conference didn't really interest me with what they showed but that looked incredible, especially if they can pull off what it looks like their trying to do.

Can only imagine how good that will look and feel on a 60" Tv next gen

EDIT:' Sorry for double post my internets jumping all over the place

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
So basically the latest legitimate info (by the GI editor) suggests PS5 may be more powerful...but there still seems to be a lot of speculation that the next xbox will be more powerful based on what? Neither situation is confirmed in anyway, but it doesn't seem like there is any confirmed insider info to indicate the latter, except for speculation based on uncertainty around the two sku model...

Apart from the most recent tweet by the GI editor, is any think with decent credence that indicates either way? Or is it largely down to speculation orientated to a degree by the preferences of the speculator?

I am sure this is just a diversion. Most of the interesting detective work is simply around working out specs based on info, rather than the comparative stuff obviously.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017

One pool of GDDR6 @672GB/s is sharing that bandwidth between the GPU and CPU. And we have all heard the horror stories of memory contention in a shared pool of RAM. So even if the CPU only needs like 50GB/s of bandwidth it ends up taking anywhere from 75GB/s and up.

With that split pool, all of that 512GB/s of HBM bandwidth is going to the GPU exclusively.

I can see a set up where sony puts 16GB of DDR4 RAM, 8GB reserved for OS and SSD and 8GB for games coupled with 8GB of HBM2 RAM. If so doing would be cheaper (and less power hungry) than going with one pool of 24GB GDDR6? I can see it happening.
Yeah, this is what I was going to say. The rumour described this exact thing. The stated bandwidth of GDDR6 is not what you actually get in reality, unlike with the other method.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
So basically the latest legitimate info (by the GI editor) suggests PS5 may be more powerful...but there still seems to be a lot of speculation that the next xbox will be more powerful based on what? Neither situation is confirmed in anyway, but it doesn't seem like there is any confirmed insider info to indicate the latter, except for speculation based on uncertainty around the two sku model...

Apart from the most recent tweet by the GI editor, is any think with decent credence that indicates either way? Or is it largely down to speculation orientated to a degree by the preferences of the speculator?

I am sure this is just a diversion. Most of the interesting detective work is simply around working out specs based on info, rather than the comparative stuff obviously.
We have that tweet, and we have other insiders saying that nothing is final, so speculation is wide open at the moment.

iTehDroiD

Oct 28, 2017

Wouldn't that mean no unified memory for the CPU and GPU? A feature Mark Cerny advertised as a highly requested dev feature and a big advantage of the PS4 ?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Wouldn't that mean no unified memory for the CPU and GPU? A feature Mark Cerny advertised as a highly requested dev feature and a big advantage of the PS4 ?
No. The High Bandwidth Cache Controller causes the RAM to appear as a single pool to developers and manages it all in the background, so the issues with split RAM pretty much go away.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017

We don’t know what more powerful means necessarily. If the PS5 SSD is faster, is that factoring into their judgement?

The assumption that MS will field a superior machine is many-pronged.

1. Sony had made statements that they want to repeat success conditions of the PS4, which may mean they are targeting a $399 price.
2. MS has a lot of language that suggests they are targeting the best console out there, and they have pushed this angle very hard with the Xbox One X.
3. The two SKU approach allows you to make design decisions that may not ramp in volume as well as some possibilities (e.g. binning of chips)
4. MS has established a level of comfort with a $499 SKU, which would be aided by having a lower priced SKU.
5. MS set the engineering bar with the Xbox One X. They put out a console with 50% more FLOPs, memory and memory bandwidth yet that only draws 10-15W more at the wall than the Pro.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I don’t know why mods bothers with SpinningbirdKick.He is a troll.
From when I called him out a while back, I was hit by "He's not a troll, he explained everything he said properly. You need to read!"

I'm sorry, but "predicting" that the PS5 will be 100 dollars cheaper and more powerful than the Anaconda is quite literally trolling.

GameSeeker

Oct 27, 2017
24GB GDDR6 RAM 14Gbps on a 386bit bus has a total bandwith of 672GB/s
HBM2 in a 2 stack (2*4GB) configuration at 1000MHz on a 2048 bit bus has a total bandwidth of 512GB/s
So you still need 160GB/s bandwidth with your DDR4 RAM solution to match GDDR6
And that would be a 256 bit interface with 5000MHz DDR4 RAM (8* 2GB)

HBM makes sense. HBM in combination with DDR4 does not make sense, unless you're okay with less total bandwidth.
And only in that case would you save any significant power savings over GDDR6 only.
If I was the engineer on the project, I would chose 8GB of HBM2 + 16GB DDR4 over a 24GB GDDR6 solution. If you are trying to optimize performance in situations where both the CPU and GPU are fully utilized at the same time (i.e., a typical game), the split memory solution wins, even though on paper the GDDR6 solution has a higher BW number. For the reasons I explained in my prior post, the higher paper number yields lower performance in actual games.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
So one thing I wanted to mention, I've seen people doubt whether Lockhart exists or not, and this line from the Halo Waypoint article stood to me.

And at E3, we’re also pleased to announce that Halo Infinite will debut in Holiday 2020 on Xbox One, PC and our next generation of consoles, Project Scarlett.
Specifically the word "consoles".

I know it might not mean much, but hey, it could mean something.
Here's the full link:

chowyunfatt

Oct 28, 2017
We don’t know what more powerful means necessarily. If the PS5 SSD is faster, is that factoring into their judgement?

The assumption that MS will field a superior machine is many-pronged.

1. Sony had made statements that they want to repeat success conditions of the PS4, which may mean they are targeting a $399 price.
2. MS has a lot of language that suggests they are targeting the best console out there, and they have pushed this angle very hard with the Xbox One X.
3. The two SKU approach allows you to make design decisions that may not ramp in volume as well as some possibilities (e.g. binning of chips)
4. MS has established a level of comfort with a $499 SKU, which would be aided by having a lower priced SKU.
5. MS set the engineering bar with the Xbox One X. They put out a console with 50% more FLOPs, memory and memory bandwidth yet that only draws 10-15W more at the wall than the Pro.
1. maybe but most informed people think the tech will have to be $499
2. not so much after the press conference
3. maybe devs don't want this? there was no indication in the press video of 2 sku's
4. see 3
5. a year late obviously gives better tech

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
1. maybe but most informed people think the tech will have to be $499
2. not so much after the press conference
3. maybe devs don't want this? there was no indication in the press video of 2 sku's
4. see 3
5. a year late obviously gives better tech
1. Most tech people thought the PS4 wouldn’t be $399.
2. Opinion. I disagree.
3. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t their going in approach.
5. They are built on the same process and all the technology Microsoft uses would have been available a year earlier.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
1. Most tech people thought the PS4 wouldn’t be $399.
2. Opinion. I disagree.
3. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t their going in approach.
5. They are built on the same process and all the technology Microsoft uses would have been available a year earlier.
Right now my opinion aligns pretty well with yours. I also look to the early estimates of the Scarlett SOC die area based on the render. Potentially going bigger than any current gen console, to me, is a sign they want to be aggressive with this consoles capability.

ImGumbyDammit

Nov 25, 2018
So one thing I wanted to mention, I've seen people doubt whether Lockhart exists or not, and this line from the Halo Waypoint article stood to me.

Good catch.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017

I know it might not mean much, but hey, it could mean something.
Here's the full link:

I'm not sure, "next generation of console" doesn't sound quite right, I think the set described by the word consoles includes everything from XBox to XBox One X.

DrKeo

Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Oh man, it's so hard to keep up with this thread during E3 AND AMD's full Navi reveal :)

I'm not sure if it was brought up, but I'm pretty sure both Flight Simulator and Halo Infinite used ray tracing in their trailers.
* A very noisy reflection on a curvy surface:

* A very noisy reflection of the chief on the wall:

In Halo it's on a flat surface but it's not SSR, it's very noisy (take a look at the 4K trailer in youtube, you can see the time-stamp in the image and see how noisy it is when the camera moves) and doesn't show occlusion artifacts even though the character is occluding most of the Chief.

chowyunfatt

Oct 28, 2017
So why didn't Microsoft release a year earlier then?

The fact is Microsoft have clever people, Sony have clever people. There both designing consoles for gaming, from the same chip maker, with the same key parts, at the same time and the same goals so I really don't see this assumption that Microsoft will automatically be more powerful.

It's basically going to come down to a few tweaks here and there between the two so it's 50/50. I personally think a lot of people need to accept the fact, (not saying you) that the two next gen machines will be nearly identical.

Services, games and feature will separate them.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I'm not sure, "next generation of console" doesn't sound quite right, I think the set described by the word consoles includes everything from XBox to XBox One X.
The line refers to Project Scarlet as plural. Sure that could be referring to make an eventual X like upgrade in 2025, but I think it's a little premature to talk about that.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Msk / SPb, Russia
I fully expect their solution to be less compact actually as AMD has shown time and time again that they are spending more transistors building the same blocks as NV.
Also - RT is not "effects". This slide was misleading in many ways (I liked the "power of the cloud" step there especially). You can have limited use of RT in your scene but you can't limit RT to just some effects - how would that even work?

Liabe Brave

Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer said:
The video that we showed is talking about Project Scarlett. That’s the focus that we have, on that console and hitting that specification. That’s the console that we’re talking about.
I'm not sure why people have been taking this quote to mean Lockhart is dead. To me, it sounds like the exact opposite: indirect confirmation that Lockhart exists. Why say "this is the console we're talking about" unless there was another one you could be talking about?

It doesn't change my point that you do benefit from going wider and reducing clock speeds.
I agree with that point (my posted predictions rely on it!). I was only disagreeing with the specific scenario you used as an example.

Hoping for zero defects at ~250mm2 is likely to have serious yield implications.
Yep, but both the schematic block diagram from AMD and the annotated one anexanhume shared show only 40CUs.

Here’s my Anaconda prediction now:

3 shader engines, 6 workgroup processors, 1CU pair per SE disabled - 54 total CUs. 1500MHz. 10.4TF.
If you want to quit ResetEra, just do it. You don't owe anyone anything.

Microsoft has never been shy about getting people into their ecosystems with free trials. 6 months is way too aggressive. but even 1 month trial to gamepass (two weeks feels short) could be a big selling point. ...It certainly feels like they could persuade people to buy in early by alliviating day one cost (even if they have to pay it later, little by little, to keep those games).
Oh yeah, for consumers it's very attractive how Microsoft is willing to "split the bill". My point was that their long history of subsidization, across all three platforms to the tune of billions, has shaped perception to the point that cashing goodwill back out is going to be rough. I mean, you yourself think that two weeks of playing multiple AAA next-gen games, completely for free, "feels short"!

Yes, the idea of subscriptions is to draw people in by the initial offering, then keep them around long enough for ROI. And specifically for early adopters the math probably makes sense eventually. The problem I see Microsoft facing is that their services are almost constantly on sale, or in free trial periods, etc--very few people ever seem to end up paying the "regularly" price. They're too accustomed to good deals from Xbox.

And as a generation goes on, the future-purchase value of the people coming to your platform goes down. And their price sensitivity generally goes up (or else they'd have bought in earlier). It's a far from ideal situation. Even without that issue to contend with, Netflix has still encountered problems finding any profit. And Xbox doesn't have nearly as much exclusive content.

What I see recently is Microsoft committing to massive expenditures on their gaming initiatives which require massive scale to make business sense...but I don't see where that scale has materialized (yet?). You can only prime the pump so long before the thing has to run on its own.

Of course, I'm not an expert like Microsoft has working for them, and perhaps Xbox is on the verge of blowing up. Wouldn't be the first time my predictions went awry.

i have no idea what happened here overnight but when i went to sleep we were discussing 11-12 tflops, 56-60 CUs because the Scarlett APU is huge, way bigger than the base PS4, Pro and the X1X. Some estimates are 400 mm2.
That's only 10% bigger than One X. Of course the node shrink will help oodles, but there's also been an increase in the relative complexity and size of AMD's CUs.

I did calculations based on AMD's block diagram for Navi, and it seems ~450mm^2 would be the minimum size for a 64CU part. And that's without accounting for extra RT hardware. That is, a 60 active CU chip is almost certainly off the table.

Consoles with have 3 SEs and 60 CUs. 54 active like Anex said.
My size analysis--though it is if course tentative and unconfirmed--suggests that this configuration would be bigger than the Anaconda chip we've seen. A 54 active CU chip might be possible within that constraint, but it'd have to be two SEs each with more DCUs. An entire new SE requires too much support silicon.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
The line refers to Project Scarlet as plural. Sure that could be referring to make an eventual X like upgrade in 2025, but I think it's a little premature to talk about that.
This was mentioned and discussed heavily in this thread when the article came out.

Cliffs: "of" makes it a nothing statement. "our next generation OF consoles" = we have made many consoles, and this is next.

For it to mean what you imply it means (multiple consoles), it needs to read "our next generation consoles"

As unapersson points out, "next generation of console" is grammatically odd at the least, if not plain poor grammar.