• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2018
I would say 8tf navi is realistic expectation considering recent consoles history and everything above it is just great

Even though people don't want to hear this the reality is that a $499 system will be 8 tflops.

In 2017
They could do a 6gcn tflop, 12gb gddr5, moderately sized vapour chamber and heatsink, 1tb hdd, 8 core jaguar.

In 2020
A 8tflop ( about 13 GCN), 16-20gb gddr6, moderatey sized vapour chamber and heatsink, 8 core zen2 and a 1tb ssd.
Seems realistic for $499

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Even though people don't want to hear this the reality is that a $499 system will be 8 tflops.

In 2017
They could do a 6gcn tflop, 12gb gddr5, moderately sized vapour chamber and heatsink, 1tb hdd, 8 core jaguar.

In 2020
A 8tflop ( about 13 GCN), 16-20gb gddr6, moderatey sized vapour chamber and heatsink, 8 core zen2 and a 1tb ssd.
Seems realistic for $499
But I think it will be >9tf as gonzoalo scorek 20k firestrike and you need at least 8.7tf navi paired with 3ghz zen2 to achieve it

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
None of us have enough information or knowledge on the subject to be talking about what's reality and what isn't.

Nov 2, 2017
People are still forgetting 8rdna tflops is about 13 GCN tflops.

Before Navi was annouced and we knew nothing about Navi, 12gcn tflops was the upper bracket of speculation.

So it makes no sense to think 8tflops is not still excellent., still over 2x the 1x.
This is wrong. Even the 5700xt isn't twice as fast as the X1X. The only AMD card that's more than twice as fast as the X1X/580 right now is the Radeon VII and that's just barely. Each GCN card has a different performance to Tflops ratio so there's no such thing as GCN Tflops in the way you're talking about.

Vega 64 is 12.6 Tflops vs the 580's 6.1 Tflops but it's only 65% faster. Both are GCN. Another example: Radeon VII is GCN and 13.6 Tflops. It's 15% faster than the 5700xt, which is 9.7 Tflops. That wouldn't be possible if "8rdna tflops is about 13 GCN tflops.".

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Guys, what kind of hardware performance (CPU, GPU) and memory size/speed (RAM, SSD) might be required to make a full Cyberpunk 2077 game where all the graphics and physics are on the exact same level as the E3 *2018* trailer?

That 2018 trailer was apparently in-engine, CDPR's Red Engine, and not offline rendered CG like the E3 2019 trailer seemed to be.

I wonder if Cyberpunk 2077had been designed around PS5/Scarlett hardware (plus took advantage of more powerful high-end PC hardware) if in-game graphics could look that clean in the player and NPC models and with all that density (looking out the train window seeing all those projects if Night City.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
On a serious note, after reading about the Analogue Pocket I was asking myself if Sony could use Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) to emulate PS1, PS2 and even PS3?

Is this technically possible or are the cpu/gpu in the Playstation to advance? Would the addition of a FPGA be too expensive?
I think it would be too expensive. FPGAs are being pushed handling 16-bit computers and consoles. I've seen speculation that PS1 might be doable on relatively low-cost FPGAs currently used for the Mist project, but PS2 is probably way out there. It's a little hard to tell since big FPGAs are very hard to write so no one's done something as big as a PS1 yet for one of the Mist projects afaik.

It would actually be cheaper and easier* to slap a die-shrunk PS3 (Cell+RSX+ram), PS2, and PS1 on the motherboard than an FPGA. They could use the Cell for background downloads instead of an ARM. ;)

But even if they did that and it only cost a couple of dollars per unit more over an ARM, over tens of millions of units they'd probably be better off putting the money into developing emulators. If they put the resources into polishing it instead of stopping as soon as it runs a few games they can put on the store, that is.

*if it weren't for the PS3's goofy Rambus memory interface anyway. Sony already hit their shrink limit on that iirc, so they'd have to totally redo the memory.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
not much interesting in the DF video, just Richard guessing the GPU leap for MS is 2x X1X (around 9TF RDNA that they got by running the 5700XT at 1800MHz).

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Yeah, I made it to the part where he talks about running everything at 4K/60 with max settings.
i wouldnt rule that out on current gen games, with a much stronger CPU you could offload some GPU rendering to the CPU (GPU accelerated particles this gen were done because the CPU was too weak), if you do that you can squeeze out additional GPU performance.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
no, in RAW TFs, as in the actual number regardless of architecture, at least, that is what his post read like to me based on the wording.

And I doubt Jason Schreier uses GCN Tflops and RDNA Tflops. People need to go out of their bubble. If consoles are 10-11Tflops if they compare to Xbox One X, most people will think the next-generation consoles are less than two times more powerful maybe when Klee saw the specs he was not impressed particularly by the GPU if he saw the specs before Navi presentation.

The GPU 9, 10 or 11 Tflops RDNA will be the least system increase with RAM size and bandwidth in next-generation. CPU increase is massive 6 to 7 times for gameplay code and 12 to 14 times for vector code. The increase in storage speed will be massive and the biggest leap next-gen.

Last edited:

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Another DF video where Richard states at several points he doesn't have firm info on the next gen GPUs but let's see what we can read into his statements. 🤔

i wouldnt rule that out on current gen games, with a much stronger CPU you could offload some GPU rendering to the CPU (GPU accelerated particles this gen were done because the CPU was too weak), if you do that you can squeeze out additional GPU performance.
I know but that but asking for every game to run at 4K/60 with max settings (consoles dont have settings) is just silly and cringeworthy.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
And I doubt Jason Schreier uses GCN Tflops and RDNA Tflops. People need to go out of their bubble. If consoles are 10-11Tflops if they compare to Xbox One X, most people will think the next-generation consoles are less than two times more powerful maybe when Klee saw the specs he was not impressed particulary by the GPU if he saw the specs before Navi presentation.

The GPU 9, 10 or 11 Tflops RDNA will be the least system increase with RAM size and bandwidth in next-generation. CPU increase is massive 6 to 7times for gameplay code and 12 to 14 times for vector code. The increase in storage speed will be massive and the biggest leap next-gen.

At least PS5 should be able to run games that look as good as if not better than all of those E3 2012/2013 trailers and demos we got before current gen released.

i.e.

Agni's Philosophy
Watch Dogs
Star Wars 1313
Deep Down

Pribably with something at least as good as the UE4 dynamic lighting which had to cut out of UE4 for both 2013 consoles and PC. The new consoles will have hardware RT as well, something that the highest end PC cards certainly did not have back then. We are talking about GTX 680 and 3.0 TF of the Nvidia Kepler architecture.

Imagine Deep Down GDC/E3 2013 visuals and physics at 60fps in game, and resolution higher a lot higher than 1080p, even if not quite native 4K.

Feb 10, 2018
And I doubt Jason Schreier uses GCN Tflops and RDNA Tflops. People need to go out of their bubble. If consoles are 10-11Tflops if they compare to Xbox One X, most people will think the next-generation consoles are less than two times more powerful maybe when Klee saw the specs he was not impressed particularly by the GPU if he saw the specs before Navi presentation.

The GPU 9, 10 or 11 Tflops RDNA will be the least system increase with RAM size and bandwidth in next-generation. CPU increase is massive 6 to 7 times for gameplay code and 12 to 14 times for vector code. The increase in storage speed will be massive and the biggest leap next-gen.

This is an interesting point, folks like us know that RDNA tflops are substantialy more powerful the GCN tflops but like u say the average gamer does not.

Maybe it would be wise for Sony + ms to explain that the scarlett GPU is 2 x 1x gpu or 3x ps4 Pro gpu.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
At least PS5 should be able to run games that look as good as if not better than all of those E3 2012/2013 trailers and demos we got before current gen released.

i.e.

Agni's Philosophy
Watch Dogs
Star Wars 1313
Deep Down

Pribably with something at least as good as the UE4 dynamic lighting which had to cut out of UE4 for both 2013 consoles and PC. The new consoles will have hardware RT as well, something that the highest end PC cards certainly did not have back then.

Imagine Deep Down GDC/E3 2013 visuals and physics at 60fps in game, and resolution higher a lot higher than 1080p, even if not quite native 4K.

I am sure the games will be impressive. I am not worrying and this will look better than current-gen on ultra. I have no doubt about it.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I'm a guy who speaks dutch and did send the first images to letsgodigital.
SO, I'm not an insider,but the one between the insider and the magazine's/newsplatforms
what... images are you talking about.
also your statement confuses me, you are saying that you have sent images to letsgodigital that you got from an "insider"?
EDIT:
are you talking about these renders?
playstation-5-1024x676.jpg

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
This is an interesting point, folks like us know that RDNA tflops are substantialy more powerful the GCN tflops but like u say the average gamer does not.

Maybe it would be wise for Sony + ms to explain that the scarlett GPU is 2 x 1x gpu or 3x ps4 Pro gpu.

Imagine someone told you the GPU will be 10-11 Tflops before Navi presentation. It would be Vega 56 level not very sexy compared for example to Ampere Nvidia offer next year.

10-11 Tflops AMD GPU was not sexy before Navi reveal, not sexy at all in 2020. I would have been happy because after Vega 7 reveal I was thinking we will have 7-8 Tflops GCN power. But it would not have been very performant in 2020.

EDIT: Without Kleegamefan I would think GPU level is 9 RDNA Tflops max with RT, this is a very good 2019 GPU but less in 2020. I hope to have the best GPU possible for the next 7 years I hope console GPU will be comparable to midrange gaming 2020 offer. Imo this is 50/50 not because I don't believe Klee but specs are a moving target and maybe the target specs decrease, this is a possibility. This is why I waited Klee confirmation nothing move but we will probably need to wait for console reveal.

For PS4 Sony preferred Buldozer architecture but it was not possible. Things change.

Last edited:
what... images are you talking about.
also your statement confuses me, you are saying that you have sent images to letsgodigital that you got from an "insider"?
EDIT:
are you talking about these renders?
playstation-5-1024x676.jpg
No, I was one of the first 100 views of the YT clip that got released today (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lO3yWJtGQU).

I instantly shared it, and I am the writer of this article: https://en.letsgodigital.org/game-consoles/sony-playstation-5-photo/.
I don't work there but I shared the info with them. I also have written an article about kleegamefan on a site.

Feb 10, 2018
Imagine someone told you the GPU will be 10-11 Tflops before Navi presentation. It would be Vega 56 level not very sexy compared for example to Ampere Nvidia offer next year.

10-11 Tflops AMD GPU was not sexy before Navi reveal, not sexy at all in 2020. I would have been happy because after Vega 7 reveal I was thinking we will have 7-8 Tflops GCN power. But it would not have been very performant in 2020.

EDIT: Without Kleegamefan I would think GPU level is 9 Tflops max with RT, this is a very good 2019 GPU but less in 2020. I hope to have the best GPU possible for the next 7 years I hope console GPU will be comparable to midrange gaming 2020 offer. Imo this is 50/50 not because I don't believe Klee but specs are a moving target and maybe the target specs decrease, this is a possibility. This is why I waited Klee confirmation nothing move but we will probably need to wait for console reveal.

For PS4 Sony preferred Buldozer architecture but it was not possible. Things change.

Yes which is why sony/ms need to explain in a way to bring the sexy back.

I to want the most powerful GPU.
However there's no point in wishing for somthing that does not make business sense, despite what certain rumours might say, I think 10tf is the absolute limit for next gen.

Hope I'm wrong though.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
You have to choose between doubting Richard and Klee at this point.
Lol... and it sure does feel better doubting Richard all considering.

My issue with DF in this case, is that they have not broken anything at all. There is not a single bit of information that we have got on next-gen that came from them. They didn't even have a bead on the SSD or even worse that next-gen hardware would be based on Navi and not GCN. One would think that if they were as connected as some here would like to think they are, then they should have known. And if they are a media outlet that has"sources" that they won't mention (obviously) then also go as far as not talking about what said sources has said, then I can't trust them because it means their interests aren't aligned with me but instead with the sources/platform holders.

Its like the new york times not breaking a story from a whistleblower because they are friends with the owner of the company he works for.

Again, there is nothing at all said so far by DF that has not been already broken right here in this thread. Kudos to them again on the CPU benchmarking stuff though.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Those old 2012 tech demos will be blown out of the water by actual next gen games. I think some folks here will continue underestimating next gen visuals but once we actually get to see them, some are going to wonder why they had any doubt. That's my prediction anyway.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How will Intel entering the enthusiast GPU market impact the development of GPU power during PS5's lifespan? With Intel, AMD and Nvidia competing, is there going to be accelerated development in GPU power? I feel like things have stagnated for a long time. My GTX1080 is ancient, yet it still runs games for me just fine. Hopefully by the time PS6 comes out, GPUs will again be significantly better.

I guess the push for 4k kinda spoiled us, as the mid-life refresh makes the new consoles look less impressive.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
Those old 2012 tech demos will be blown out of the water by actual next gen games. I think some folks here will continue underestimating next gen visuals but once we actually get to see them, some are going to wonder why they had any doubt. That's my prediction anyway.
That's exactly what's gonna happen

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Lol... and it sure does feel better doubting Richard all considering.

My issue with DF in this case, is that they have not broken anything at all. There is not a single bit of information that we have got on next-gen that came from them. They didn't even have a bead on the SSD or even worse that next-gen hardware would be based on Navi and not GCN. One would think that if they were as connected as some here would like to think they are, then they should have known. And if they are a media outlet that has"sources" that they won't mention (obviously) then also go as far as not talking about what said sources has said, then I can't trust them because it means their interests aren't aligned with me but instead with the sources/platform holders.

Its like the new york times not breaking a story from a whistleblower because they are friends with the owner of the company he works for.

Again, there is nothing at all said so far by DF that has not been already broken right here in this thread. Kudos to them again on the CPU benchmarking stuff though.
Seems more like a criticism of the community than a criticism of DF. As far as I know, the only thing Richard has claimed to have a source on is the Prospero codename while everything else has been labeled as speculation. The fact that people seem to think they're more well connected when DF's own statements indicate otherwise isn't really their problem.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I am feeling super good with 4x+ cpu and 2x gpu increase from 1X for next gen. Add the other sauces like RT, ssd, enhanced BC, etc. lets gooooo

Aug 26, 2019
I am feeling super good with 4x+ cpu and 2x gpu increase from 1X for next gen. Add the other sauces like RT, ssd, enhanced BC, etc. lets gooooo
All of us, base and mid-gen owners, will also get the bump of playing games designed for the ground-up for the new hardware. I know that engines are really scaleable now, but I think that a game designed for the Zen 2 CPU and SSD is going to be different then a game designed for both that and 2013 CPUs/storage

Status
Not open for further replies.