• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I guess I am a pessimist still disappointed with the the PSX -> Ps2 leap from way back.

Huh?

The PS1 to PS2 was anywhere from a 100x to a 300x jump in power.

Next Generation:
JXvI6DI.jpg

IGN: https://www.ign.com/articles/1999/11/17/ps3-will-have-1000-times-performance-of-ps2-2

As indicated by the story, SCE surveyed content developers when they were developing the PlayStation 2; the developers said that they would need a performance of 18,000 times that of the PlayStation in order to generate game images in real-time. Sony suggests that the PlayStation 2 is 300 times as powerful as the current PlayStation, falling short of what the content developers had wanted. In regards to this, Okamoto said, "We understand the requirement is half met. We would like to realize the goal in the development of our next version, the PlayStation 3."

Last edited:

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Obligatory predictions

Xbox Scarlett
44 active CU's @ 1.6Ghz = 9.01TF
3.3Ghz CPU
16GB GDDR6
1TB SSD

PS5
40 active CU's @ 1.8Ghz = 9.22TF
3.2Ghz CPU
16GB GDDR6
1TB SSD

Both $499. Both will be super close on GPU and CPU, with little clock boosts possible so whoever ends out ahead by launch will be a surprise. Initially though I think PS5 could lead in TF while Scarlett leads in CPU by about the same amount.

Both will have the same amount of RAM. I think it was Liabe Brave that showed a possible RAM config for Scarlett that showed anywhere from 14-18GB, so I'll go with 16.

Both will have custom SSD's. Neither will have off the shelf NVME SSD's. Can't say which will be "better". Think they ditch HDD internally, but will allow them for external storage.

Main differentials next gen won't be specs but games and services.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Oh, so you mean that an average PS2 game had 100-300x as many polygons as a PS1 game?

Edit: I'm not trying to sound aggressive it just a genuine question.

Overall, what could be displayed on screen, it was 100-300x more powerful. Also take into account the fact that PS2 had true z-buffered polygons, plus a number of other rendering features that PS1 did not have. The PS1 did not even use floating point math, AFAIK. It was all integer math, whereas PS2 pushed 6.2 GFlops.
Compared to the Dreamcast (1.4 GFlops) and Nintendo 64 ~200 MFLOPs.

Anyway, while it's difficult to measure, the overall performance leap from PS1 to PS2 was absolutely staggering, and each leap after PS2 got smaller. So I have to wonder, if someone felt the leap from PS1 to PS2 was disappointing, what about the leap from PS2 to PS3 (which was only 35-40x) ?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Overall, what could be displayed on screen, it was 100-300x more powerful. Also take into account the fact that PS2 had true z-buffered polygons, plus a number of other rendering features that PS1 did not have. The PS1 did not even use floating point math, AFAIK. It was all integer math, whereas PS2 pushed 6.2 GFlops.
Compared to the Dreamcast (1.4 GFlops) and Nintendo 64 ~200 MFLOPs.

Anyway, while it's difficult to measure, the overall performance leap from PS1 to PS2 was absolutely staggering, and each leap after PS2 got smaller. So I have to wonder, if someone felt the leap from PS1 to PS2 was disappointing, what about the leap from PS2 to PS3 (which was only 35-40x) ?
Well at least this will be the first generation where the leap won't be smaller than the previous, it will be bigger. I believe the PS4 was estimated to be around 10x more powerful than the PS3. PS4->PS5 should be much bigger.
Sort of amazing to think that the stated memory bandwidth of PS2's RAM (which by definition is volatile) will in all likelihood be successfully challenged by data throughput of non-volatile storage format in next gen systems.
Is that good?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We talking RDNA TFs or GCN TFs?

Anyways, my new updated prediction.

PS5
  • 8C/16T Ryzen 3 CPU@ 3Ghz
  • 44CU Navi GPU @ 1750Mhz for 9.8TF
  • 20GB GDDR6 @ 560GB/s bandwidth (4GB reserved for OS, 18GB available to devs, no not a typo, OS can "loan" active game app 2GB)
  • 1TB SSD (embedded onto PCB) 6GB/s max bandwidth (non upgadeable)
Xbox Scarlett
  • 8C/16T Ryzen 3 CPU@ 3.2Ghz
  • 44CU Navi GPU @ 1600Mhz for 9.0TF
  • 20GB GDDR6 @ 560GB/s bandwidth (3GB reserved for OS, devs have 17GB available)
  • 1TB NVMe SSD. 5GB/s max bandwidth (user upgradeable but wll void warranty)
RDNA of course. yes, the captain is going down with the ship. ;p

• I think we will get 56 CUs in both consoles after seeing the die size estimates pegging the SOC at 380-400mm2.
  • Gonzolo clocks at 1.8ghz gives us 12.9 tflops.
  • Gonzolo firestrike score is very high for a CPU with just 3.2 ghz clockspeeds which means the GPU is much stronger than the 19k overall score we see here for a 1.885 ghz rx 5700 xt when paired with a 4.25 ghz Ryzen 2700x cpu.
  • TDP is the big roadblock here cockblocking team 12.9 tflops, but Rylen's tests show that just downclocking by 35% gives us a massive 80-100% drop in power usage.
  • Reiner said devs told him PS5 is more powerful.
  • He who shall not be named said he heard PS5 is definitively more powerful.
  • Panello thought Sony had a 8 tflops gpu. MS was likely going with the sandwich strategy of 5 and 11 tflops because of this, which is why they were so sure about having the performance advantage.
  • 5700XT is not a good card to base next gen estimates from. It doesnt have RT which is deeply integrated into GPU design. It doesnt have support for Variable shading which MS has already confirmed.
  • 7nm+ and Next gen rdna is a thing. I wouldnt be surprised if RDNA 2.0 was designed with 7nm+ in mind and that both or atleast one console is going to be on it. It makes more sense for Sony since they seem to have magically made a more powerful console out of thin air. 7nm+ should make their 56 CU chip smaller and let them clock it higher than whatever MS was planning. but i think both consoles have it and sony has some other trick up their sleeve. #HBM4life.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Well at least this will be the first generation where the leap won't be smaller than the previous, it will be bigger. I believe the PS4 was estimated to be around 10x more powerful than the PS3. PS4->PS5 should be much bigger.

Is that good?

Two decades for this level of progress in a sector of computing that has generally been developed around the notion of increasing capacity than outright speed. 10K RPM drives were the tip of the spear for speed with 7.2K RPM drive reigning over mass market concerning affordable higher speed drive in 2.5" format. So, even though I said it has taken us around 20 years from PS2 to PS5 to see change, in reality the chase for pure speed by migrating to another format and then proliferating far and wide and fast enough to drive down the prices via economies of scale and technological progress has been happening for a much shorter period of time.

SSDs were still very expensive and far from the speeds that we are seeing with the current crop of PCIE 4.0 NVMe drives back around 2013. So, the history of storage tech is sort of fragmented due to migration of formats and the tip of spear are now going to be an integral part of the next gen consoles.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Two decades for this level of progress in a sector of computing that has generally been developed around the notion of increasing capacity than outright speed. 10K RPM drives were the tip of the spear for speed with 7.2K RPM drive reigning over mass market concerning affordable higher speed drive in 2.5" format. So, even though I said it has taken us around 20 years from PS2 to PS5 to see change, in reality the chase for pure speed by migrating to another format and then proliferating far and wide and fast enough to drive down the prices via economies of scale and technological progress has been happening for a much shorter period of time.

SSDs were still very expensive and far from the speeds that we are seeing with the current crop of PCIE 4.0 NVMe drives back around 2013. So, the history of storage tech is sort of fragmented due to migration of formats and the tip of spear are now going to be an integral part of the next gen consoles.
Thanks!
Those things. They dont work like this.
What, figuring out performance increase?

Edit: I just remembered that Sony claimed that the PS4 was 42x more powerful than the PS2. It would be kinda insane if the leap in performance was bigger than PS2-PS4 haha.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dual shock with that usb-c and a bigger battery would be nice. Keep the touch pad and light for BC please.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

Edit: I just remembered that Sony claimed that the PS4 was 42x more powerful than the PS2. It would be kinda insane if the leap in performance was bigger than PS2-PS4 haha.

Yeah, figuring out performance increase. Getting a 40 times performance increase in storage speed doesnt give you a 40 times performance increase overall. Heck even 2 times would be a stretch when it comes to game performance as a whole.

Also, keep in mind that 1080p to 4k is the biggest resolution gap since PS1 to PS2. If not bigger.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Yeah, figuring out performance increase. Getting a 40 times performance increase in storage speed doesnt give you a 40 times performance increase overall. Heck even 2 times would be a stretch when it comes to game performance as a whole.

Also, keep in mind that 1080p to 4k is the biggest resolution gap since PS1 to PS2. If not bigger.
Ya, that's what I was kinda saying in the previous posts. Figuring out the overall feels next to impossible due to the enormous amount of factors you have to take in.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Ya, that's what I was kinda saying in the previous posts. Figuring out the overall feels next to impossible due to the enormous amount of factors you have to take in.

It not that many factors it's just that you have to adjust things and know the context of it .
It much harder to see gains for certain things compare to before because they don't matter as much .

Rylen

Feb 5, 2019
I guess I am a pessimist still disappointed with the the PSX -> Ps2 leap from way back.
For an affordable console I am guesstimating it'll match a high end PC performance circa 2014 which will be pretty nice considering the price point.
From what I have read a lot of the USP's seems to revolve around incorporating an SSD and fast RAM to reduce loading times.
For a consumer product for the mass market it is going to be priced attractively while not bringing anything revolutionary.
I will be very successful no doubt.

Personally I am still a bit bummed about getting the PS4Pro and realizing that 4K/60 was just a pipe-dream.

My PC from five years ago is still going strong so I am not missing out. But then, I paid an arm and a leg for that thing.
Can't wait to buy the PS5Pro for half of that price.

Team 599 (799, adjusted for inflation).

If you're barometer is a high end PC from 2014, you'll be ecstatically surprised.

Next Gen consoles will destroy High End PC's from 2014.

Nvidia Titan Z released March 2014 for $2999, and PS5 and Next Xbox will hand that GPU it's ass

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
I know we've all been talking about it the last few months but here's a reminder for the people who haven't realized what's going to happen next year:

Most games that has been released in the past 5.5 years (except for Switch or PC exclusives) has been designed with crappy and outdated Jaguar CPU's and a decent (2013 level) GPU in mind.

We're literally entering a new age of gaming with a Zen 2 CPU and a PCie 4.0 speed SSD.

I could keep on going on and on but many others in this thread know a lot more than me with this stuff! Haha

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could live with the current consoles for years to come but I am jumping into next gen day 1.

SSD is going to be mind blowing for console peasants like myself.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
How can it only be 10x? The SSD alone will be at least 40x faster.

Dude.

See that link next to 'Reply' that says 'Quote'?

That's what you use for multi-quoting in the same post.

Click that, and when you want to post you'll see the text box has a new box in the bottom left corner saying 'Insert quotes'.

Click that and you'll see a list of all the posts you want to quote.

So your posts will look like this

Thanks!

I see. I'm starting to think we should start comparing generations software wise not hardware.
I know we've all been talking about it the last few months but here's a reminder for the people who haven't realized what's going to happen next year:

Most games that has been released in the past 5.5 years (except for Switch or PC exclusives) has been designed with crappy and outdated Jaguar CPU's and a decent (2013 level) GPU in mind.

We're literally entering a new age of gaming with a Zen 2 CPU and a PCie 4.0 speed SSD.

I could keep on going on and on but many others in this thread know a lot more than me with this stuff! Haha

Please stop spamming the thread with multiple consecutive replies.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Dude.

See that link next to 'Reply' that says 'Quote'?

That's what you use for multi-quoting in the same post.

Click that, and when you want to post you'll see the text box has a new box in the bottom left corner saying 'Insert quotes'.

Click that and you'll see a list of all the posts you want to quote.

So your posts will look like this

Please stop spamming the thread with multiple consecutive replies.
If that's the case then why doesn't everybody just have one gigantic post with their replies to everybody?

Edit: I'll do better

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that's a war post? I have both consoles. I may be lucky enough to get a gaming pc too. So, no sides here

You basically invoked "arrogant Sony" which is well trodden console war material. I think Sony understands the value of good PR, especially with the success of PS4/early failure of the XB1.

Really, I think any "arrogance" left the building with Kutaragi.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
You basically invoked "arrogant Sony" which is well trodden console war material. I think Sony understands the value of good PR, especially with the success of PS4/early failure of the XB1.

Really, I think any "arrogance" left the building with Kutaragi.
Idk. I've spoken 2 a few of my casual friends who watch e3 who feel like Shawn Layden rubs them the wrong way

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else miss SpinningBirdKick? I miss his antics.

I mean, at least he was an optimist.

Edit: Did he get a perma-ban or a 1 month ban?
Just FYI: No need to edit your thread to reply to someone who posted after you. This is also "bad form". You just do not want to post consecutive posts with no one posting between yours. It is also good form to stay on topic and not derail the thread. Some side discussion like this is acceptable of course, until it gets dragged out too far or ends up baiting others or whatever.

to answer your question, I don't know. He gets banned fairly frequently and is still active on GAF if you really need some of those antics.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else miss SpinningBirdKick? I miss his antics.

I mean, at least he was an optimist.

Edit: Did he get a perma-ban or a 1 month ban?

He/she was an optimist if you only like PlayStation. If you're just an adult looking to read about technology as it relates to videogames his/her posts were transparent and childish. The thread is in a good place now, even with many posts echoing Reiner's belief that PS5 is more powerful. It's not about which console you believe (or want) to be more powerful, it's how you convey your ideas (or hopes) that matter.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Just FYI: No need to edit your thread to reply to someone who posted after you. This is also "bad form". You just do not want to post consecutive posts with no one posting between yours. It is also good form to stay on topic and not derail the thread. Some side discussion like this is acceptable of course, until it gets dragged out too far or ends up baiting others or whatever.

to answer your question, I don't know. He gets banned fairly frequently and is still active on GAF if you really need some of those antics.
Thank you so much for explaining it better!
He/she was an optimist if you only like PlayStation. If you're just an adult looking to read about technology as it relates to videogames his/her posts were transparent and childish. The thread is in a good place now, even with many posts echoing Reiner's belief that PS5 is more powerful. It's not about which console you believe (or want) to be more powerful, it's how you convey your ideas (or hopes) that matter.
Thank you as well. So saying "I think the PS5 SSD will be superior" is considered platform warring even though it's just an opinion/prediction?

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Idk. I've spoken 2 a few of my casual friends who watch e3 who feel like Shawn Layden rubs them the wrong way

The fact that they watch E3 really means they're not particularly casual tbh. Most news is spread via social media these days, so it's about cultivating a particular image.

I actually have no idea how the population at large feels about Sony. You might be right!

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you so much for explaining it better!

Thank you as well. So saying "I think the PS5 SSD will be superior" is considered platform warring even though it's just an opinion/prediction?

No, adding that he predicted Anaconda to come in at $500 while the PS5 was $400 and more powerful, Anaconda would be using Vega, stating that MS engineers can only build thrown together brute-force consoles while Sony has finesse and technical prowess and literally saying he was "kicking the hornet's nest because I'm bored" makes it console warring and trolling. He had fun and pissed of some MS fans while getting high-fives from Sony fans in the process. So good for him, but I'm not going to act like he was a great poster. If you feel like he was a worthwhile addition to the thread either you also really like Sony or you didn't read most of his posts. I don't care either way but there's your explanation.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
No, adding that he predicted Anaconda to come in at $500 while the PS5 was $400 and more powerful, Anaconda would be using Vega, stating that MS engineers can only build thrown together brute-force consoles while Sony has finesse and technical prowess and literally saying he was "kicking the hornet's nest because I'm bored" makes it console warring and trolling. He had fun and pissed of some MS fans while getting high-fives from Sony fans in the process. So good for him, but I'm not going to act like he was a great poster. If you feel like he was a worthwhile addition to the thread either you also really like Sony or you didn't read most of his posts. I don't care either way but there's your explanation.
Thanks! I was actually referring my posts with the "I think the PS5 SSD will be superior".

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! I was actually referring my posts with the "I think the PS5 SSD will be superior".

That by itself is fine. You are free to assume whatever you like. When you get to this level:

Can it be used to remove the disgusting stench of failure from this generation's performance?

You can't hide behind "It's just an opinion, man". This is why nobody 'misses his antics' as you put it. Root for your console of choice if needed just don't be a complete dick about it and you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.