• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I disagree. The obvious aliasing on the high frequency details spoils the overall IG. Uncharted 4, Horizon, GOW, Gears 5, RDR2 are all positively stunning games, but in terms of visual consistency in their IQ, they don't come close to The Order 1886, imo.

The Order looks like offline CGI throughout the entire game. It's very difficult to find a bad screenshot taking in unflattering lighting in that game, whereas it's easy to do so in the others.

Anyways, this is all opinions. So there's no right or wrong.
Agree (maybe with exception of rdr2)

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
I hope not. Sounds too bulky and unwieldy.

It's pushing into the xb1 strategy of making people buy something most won't want.

PSNow can just work on any phone no need to muddy the waters when they could just include a phone clip for the few who would want it.
I hope they do. I'm sure most people would love if they could remote play their games anywhere with just the controller.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. The obvious aliasing on the high frequency details spoils the overall IG. Uncharted 4, Horizon, GOW, Gears 5, RDR2 are all positively stunning games, but in terms of visual consistency in their IQ, they don't come close to The Order 1886, imo.

The Order looks like offline CGI throughout the entire game. It's very difficult to find a bad screenshot taking in unflattering lighting in that game, whereas it's easy to do so in the others.

Anyways, this is all opinions. So there's no right or wrong.
I think RDR2 is the best looking game overall, but yeah i can find a lot of faults with it. There was a thread recently about the best looking game this gen and someone from this thread was posting screenshots of RDR2 and Horizon characters and foliage Horizon looked better by far. I cant find that thread.

Anyway, I agree. The Order is nearly flawless and looks as close to CG as ive seen a game can look. its a stunning technical achievement and a colossal failure in game design. i hope Ready At Dawn gets another chance to get it right because their GoW games had some fantastic gameplay.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has either company talked about including WiFi 6 in their console, that would help a lot with latency.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I think RDR2 is the best looking game overall, but yeah i can find a lot of faults with it. There was a thread recently about the best looking game this gen and someone from this thread was posting screenshots of RDR2 and Horizon characters and foliage Horizon looked better by far. I cant find that thread.

Anyway, I agree. The Order is nearly flawless and looks as close to CG as ive seen a game can look. its a stunning technical achievement and a colossal failure in game design. i hope Ready At Dawn gets another chance to get it right because their GoW games had some fantastic gameplay.

Agree.

Aren't Ready At Dawn supposed to be working on a new Playstation exclusive? So there's a real chance for an Order reboot. RAD's Occulus game is widely praised as one the defining VR games, so it's clear they haven't lost their mojo. I guess things just went wrong with the Other (the game still has serious franchise potential), but I have faith in them they can knock it out of the park if given another chance.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Agree.

Aren't Ready At Dawn supposed to be working on a new Playstation exclusive? So there's a real chance for an Order reboot. RAD's Occulus game is widely praised as one the defining VR games, so it's clear they haven't lost their mojo. I guess things just went wrong with the Other (the game still has serious franchise potential), but I have faith in them they can knock it out of the park if given another chance.
They are probably working on some new ip in medievil times with some nextgen graphics :d

Kevo

Oct 17, 2019
Well......

If you guys think it's bad now....

What if Google delivers on the promise that they can harness cloud computing in ways no console or even high end PCs can?

What if it's not bullshit they have developed tech that can link and combine the performance of 2,4,6,10 or more Stadia instances.

What happens if the day comes when the PC is no longer the Master Race in term of compute performance?

What would the reaction be?
We'll have to call it the CloudMasterRace. Dang it's already taken on Reddit haha

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I will never forgive RAD for the end of The Order, but dammit if they didn't create an amazing tech demo.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
RAD just needed some supervision/guidance from another top tier developer like ND perhaps. They would have grown a lot by now if Sony had stuck with them.

Aug 26, 2019
You're wrong! this is the best looking and most technically advanced video game has been released for current generation of consoles! :)
Uncharted-4-A-Thiefs-End_2016_02-24-16_002.jpg

Uncharted-4-Libertalia-View.jpg

Also wrong!

How-to-Free-All-Dragons-in-God-of-War_1200x500.jpg

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are probably working on some new ip in medievil times with some nextgen graphics :d
i actually knew a rad programmer at the gamespot forums. we all knew he was working for some secret ps4 game but he never said anything. needless to say we were so proud of him when they finally revealed the trailer.

and then the game came out and it became pretty awkward.

i do hope they get another shot. the creative director who i believe is the owner of the studio and even the gameplay director let down the entire team. i hope sony gives them another shot because ghost of sparta was absolutely fantastic.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
God, these last few pages. We need some fucking leaks. Here's my dream leak:

Dev appears. Gives us a link to a video of his company's in-dev PS5 game. We click. It's a fucking Rick Roll. We rage hard. Then we look closer, and notice the Rick Roll is being rendering entirely in real time on PS5.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
But that's simply UNTRUE dude. What aspect of the videocard isn't being utilized? Have you ever ran a diagnostic to see how the memory is shuffling in/out of the VRAM? Did you take a look at the asset folder to see what the highest texture sizes are? What about the shaders? Are they unoptimized? What's the scene complexity look like? Did you read a paper on their LOD system to see how it works? Etc..etc.

No one on these boards has the inside knowledge of the 2080 to say a game isn't taking full advantage of it or not. If the card was using 99% of the GPU cores in the game, would that make you change your mind?

Also, I don't know this Klee. Don't know what his professional background is. Nothing. I can't take what he says as gospel just because he got to see a next-gen title running on a PS5 dev kit. He also never states what it is that looks better. He never saw a comparison demo in front of him. Nothing.
Ewwww. Don't come back.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I lost all faith .
I expect it would look great but the gameplay i not certain about .
How do you go from making 2 of the best playing games on PSP to The Order where i hated almost everything about it lol.

Their latest game is Lone Echo for PC VR and was widely praised as VR's killer app. They've more than proven themselves since The Order.

God, these last few pages. We need some fucking leaks. Here's my dream leak:

Dev appears. Gives us a link to a video of his company's in-dev PS5 game. We click. It's a fucking Rick Roll. We rage hard. Then we look closer, and notice the Rick Roll is being rendering entirely in real time on PS5.

Lol... Era would resurrect #TeamReal and #TeamCGI for this PS5 Rick Roll, spend the next two months arguing over it and VFX_Veteran would pop in every now and again to scoff and tell us all how the Rick Roll would look so much better rendered on a 2080ti.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
FYI, VFX Veteran is almost 50 years old and works at Lockhead Martin of all places.

He linked his imdb page in a very memorable thread last year. here is the thread.
Why is he is so invested in PC vs consoles? Seems like a waste of time... I am impressed by both these days. Horizon looked great, RDR2, Uncharted 4 etc etc all look great compared to PC games I play.

Hopefully his account get's unbanned and he can chill

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if it's not bullshit they have developed tech that can link and combine the performance of 2,4,6,10 or more Stadia instances.

What happens if the day comes when the PC is no longer the Master Race in term of compute performance?

What would the reaction be?

Before or after Google pulls the plug because dedicating an entire server rack to a single user is not economically viable?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Ack! DP, sorry.

FYI, VFX Veteran is almost 50 years old and works at Lockhead Martin of all places.

Whoa, Lockheed Martin?

I remember LMC's Real3D family of GPUs were the envy of both console and PC gamers in the mid/late 90s.

vEEDnMI.jpg

R3D Pro-1000 was lightyears beyond a 3Dfx Voodoo Graphics PC gaming card (late 96) and still well beyond Voodoo 2 (early '98). Even the mid-range R3D/100 workstation card was not beat in the consumer/PC gaming space by Nvidia until NV10 came out (GeForce 256) in late '99.

It's just a shame that the low cost consumer/gaming product designed by Intel, Real3D and Chips & Bits (i740 and the Starfighter cards) was not very fast and came out far later than it should have, right around the Voodoo 2 launch.

yym9wo8.jpg

While the i740 chip integrated on Intel motherboards and in add-on Starfighter cards was faster and had better IQ than Voodoo1, it wasn't as fast as Voodoo 2. Perhaps comparable in speed to 3Dfx Banshee. i740 was a low-end chip and marketed as mainstream/performance
consumer graphics.

It's also a real shame (no pun intended) that the midrange R3D/100 PCI workstation card never really got a proper release, AFAIK. I don't think the Geometry Processor part ever made it into working cards.

DrYOagy.jpg

note the missing chip on the upper right of this board.

TPXWYCQ.jpg

du7XSVI.jpg

Sorry also for going way off-topic...

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
They are Microsoft and Sony.

They can choose to do whatever they want.

That said, I am not expecting a downgrade from double digits.

Actually what we saw as devkits is clealry labeled prototype I, if things gonna change in the future, it will be for the best, meaning better parts and more powerful too, not the opposiste. This is just the start, there will be anotehr prototype model, if not more, until the final devkit, that normally is distributed even after the console reveal, remember the PS4 story.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I missed some quality VFX Veteran discourse.

Glad he stopped making threads after some devs called him out on how he handled the discussions.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
LOL. So you saw a game that will be releasing on the PC too but still argue that the PS5's hardware somehow will outshine the 2080? I am confused then. Why would you bring up a game that's going to release on the PC but act like it's superior looking to any current RTX-enabled game? That doesn't paint any picture that the PS5 is more capable than the RTX PC. What is your agenda?
Fam this is not a Wendy's.

How is an APU going to have higher Tflops than a dedicated gpu gtx 2080?
Wat

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm.

Do you think I'd be wrong if I guessed 6.8 TF RDNA, 256-bit bus, 16 GB GDDR6 (14 Gbps chips) and overall the GPU performance including RT is kinda like an RTX 2060 ?

Yes you are wrong bro. I posted a video about someone trying to imagine next-gen hardware by building a PC with RX 5700. That GPU can barely manage to play Metro Exodus in Native 4K at 30 FPS with max settings that is withoput any RT effect enabled, let alone advanced ones.
Next-Gen (the PS5 at least from what has been seen and talked about) are supposed to run next-gen titles beyond what is being offeerd in current-gen games and with RT enabled too.

This what Kleegamefan saw and confirmed:

Yes UE4 is really throwing anchors for next-gen perspective with RT and chaos engine already available to use for quite some time now by anyone. You also talked about massive destruction and very detaield too. It must be the chaos engine.

let's sum things up:

- biggest open world game to date
- very davanced details with intricate details in clothes and cloth physics
- RT shadows, RT, possible dynamic GI too
- lush and condensed foliage
- massive destruction and advanced physics
- Native 4K.
- Not running on final PS5 devkit and hardware and still not optimised yet
Am I missing something else?

PS5 is just a beast.
PS5 (from where it was showcased)

There is no way next-gen consoles could be lwoer than a RX5700 XT to run all of those features at once, they must be more powerful than it to start with. In fact I trying to suspect that both may be shipped with RDNA 2 chips in the final designs.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Yes you are wrong bro. I posted a video about someone trying to imagine next-gen hardware by building a PC with RX 5700. That GPU can barely manage to play Metro Exodus in Native 4K at 30 FPS with max settings that is withoput any RT effect enabled, let alone advanced ones.
Next-Gen (the PS5 at least from what has been seen and talked about) are supposed to run next-gen titles beyond what is being offeerd in current-gen games and with RT enabled too.

This what Kleegamefan saw and confirmed:

There is no way next-gen consoles could be lwoer than a RX5700 XT to run all of those features at once, they must be more powerful than it to start with. In fact I trying to suspect that both may be shipped with RDNA 2 chips in the final designs.

You're making a mistake here. Is that games cant look better on the same class of hardware, thanks to visual advancement.
You can both get a game that looks better than Metro and running at native 4k30.

Also about RT: It's like any other graphical options. There are different levels of fidelity.
Heck, Metro 2033 from 2009 PC version still runs volumetric effects of higher quality than many many games on consoles right now.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

He said too RDR2 will have RT in this post and this is not the case at all

You're making a mistake here. Is that games cant look better on the same class of hardware, thanks to visual advancement.
You can both get a game that looks better than Metro and running at native 4k30.

Also about RT: It's like any other graphical options. There are different levels of fidelity.
Heck, Metro 2033 from 2009 PC version still runs volumetric effects of higher quality than many many games on consoles right now.

Before compare AMD raytracing and RTX wait the release of the AMD GPU with raytracing. Same for Intel whith a paper showing some solution to problem with RTX architecture.

EDIT: Because LOD is not supported in RTX. It is supported by Power VR too and from the AMD patent it seems AMD raytracing will probably be more flexible and help to be LOD compatible and save tons of performance.

This functionnality is list as potential future features for DXR by Microsoft

Power VR goes further the solution is able to regenerate the BVH each frame solving problem with LOD and animation. And they have ray reordering too. Better raytracing than DXR currently.

Nvidia works on a solution to improve RTX with LOD and animation

Last edited:

cjn83

Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Kleegamefan so when you said the next-gen consoles had TF numbers in the double digit range, that was actually your assumption from how good the game looked, and not something you knew from having data on the hardware?

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
Kleegamefan so when you said the next-gen consoles had TF numbers in the double digit range, that was actually your assumption from how good the game looked, and not something you knew from having data on the hardware?
He specifically asked his developer friend about it; he compared them to the (then recently) released Navi GPU's and how they stacked up against them (since neither of them were hitting double digits). He then insinuated that they'd be more powerful and have double digit RDNA tflops. So... Fun times ahead.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if double digit RDNA tflops will be the new "8 GB GDDR5" of this generation... I think it will. 11 would be awesome, and anything above that is just insane (and nobody would mind it).

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

He said too RDR2 will have RT in this post and this is not the case at all

Before compare AMD raytracing and RTX wait the release of the AMD GPU with raytracing. Same for Intel whith a paper showing some solution to problem with RTX architecture.

EDIT: Because LOD is not supported in RTX. It is supported by Power VR too and from the AMD patent it seems AMD raytracing will probably be more flexible and help to be LOD compatible and save tons of performance.

Power VR goes further the solution is able to regenerate the BVH each frame solving problem with LOD and animation. And they have ray reordering too. Better raytracing than DXR currently,.

I didn't make a comparison between AMD nor Nvidia here. I just said to that poster that RT performance can vary because there are various level of RT visual fidelity.
Basically, the comparisons with RT games right now is irrelevant for many reasons:
It may not run at the same visual fidelity or implemented the same way.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

Power VR goes further the solution is able to regenerate the BVH each frame solving problem with LOD and animation. And they have ray reordering too. Better raytracing than DXR currently,.

PowerVR lives, after all these years.

I'm secretly hoping Sony uses an offspring of the PowerVR Wizard raytracing tech embedded in PS5's AMD Navi GPU.

That would be so cool, unlikely as it is.

I35iE8e.jpg[img]

Last edited:

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I wonder if double digit RDNA tflops will be the new "8 GB GDDR5" of this generation... I think it will. 11 would be awesome, and anything above that is just insane (and nobody would mind it).

No some much more powerful AMD GPU will release next year. But the consoles looks like to be cool mid range PC gaming . This time the console does not have something looking like bad in a midrange gaming PC like the Jaguar and better than this with 2020 technology.

EDIT: Jaguar was bad in a low rang gaming PC too.

Status
Not open for further replies.