Status
Not open for further replies.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
PSVR 2 is 2021 at the earliest and I wouldn't be surprised if it comes even a year or two after that, I have a hard time believing it won't be better than what's currently availabe or at least match the top one.
I'm thinking later, 2023. Though I'm not sure if the patents suggest anything earlier. I expect it to be worlds above current psvr, of course.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
If PS5 goes HBM and proprietary SSD, you would figure those cost increases can't be completely offset by die size as compared to XsX.

Why do you think it will increase the price?

semiengineering.com

What’s Next For High Bandwidth Memory

Different approaches for breaking down the memory wall.

Three years ago, HBM cost about $120/GB. Today, the unit prices for HBM2 (16GB with 4 stack DRAM dies) is roughly $120, according to TechInsights. That doesn't even include the cost of the package.

Sony doesn't need HBM2E but HBM2 is enough because it is 4 stack, 4 stack at 1.6 Gbps is a fucking 820 GB/s.

consoleramtable.png

If they use only 8 GB of HBM2 like in the reddit rumor it is only 60 dollars + the package price but with info_MS no interposer. And 16 GB of DDR4 3200 is "cheap" probably 1.5 to 2 dollars per GB for a very high volume.

The rumor:

PS4 refresh

sometime between september and november
fabbed on samsung 7nm EUV
best wafer pricing in the industry
die size 110mm²
no PRO refresh, financially not viable yet
too close to PS5 as well

PS5 memory and storage systems

24 GB RAM in total (20 GB usable by games)
8 GB in form of 2 * 4-Hi stacks HBM2
Sony got "amazing" deal for HBM
in part due to them buying up bad chips from other customers which can't run higher then 1.6 Gbps while keeping 1.2v.
HBM is expected to scale down in price a lot more than GDDR6 over the console lifetime
Samsung, Micron and SK Hynix already shifting part of their capacity towards HBM due to falling NAND prices
Sony will be one of the first high volume customers of TSMCs InFO_MS when mass production starts later this year (normal InFo already used by Apple in their iPhone)
InFO_MS brings down the cost compared to traditional silicon interposers - has thermal and performance advantage as well
InFO_MS allows them to drive their 1.6 Gbps chips @ 1.7 Gbps (435 GB/sec.) without having to increase the voltage above 1.2v
HBM is more power efficient compared to GDDR6 - the savings were invested into more GPU power
additional 16 GB in form of DDR4 @ 256 bit for 102.4 GB/sec.
4 GB reserved for OS, the remaining 12 GB usable by games
memory automatically managed by HBCC and appears as 20 GB to the developers
HBCC manages streaming of game data from storage as well
developers can use the API to take control if they choose and manage the memory and storage streaming themselves
memory solution alleviates problems found in PS4
namely that CPU bandwidth reduces GPU bandwidth disproportionately
2 stacks of HBM have 512 banks (more banks = fewer conflicts and higher utilization)
GDDR6 better than GDDR5 and GDDR5x in that regard but still less banks than HBM
at the same time trying to keep CPU memory access to slower DDR4
very satisfied with decision to use two kinds of memory for price to performance reasons
allowed them to go below ~50 GFLOPs per GB/sec. bandwidth but still keep above 40 GFLOPs per GB/sec.

1.7GBps with 4 stack gives a crazy 870 GB/s and a cumulated bandwidth of 972.4 GB/s.

EDIT: And custom does not mean more expensive, there are tons of things in an NVME controller not needed for a console for example. Or in the patent, they told the replacement of DRAM by SRAM for address translation table decrease the cost.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Potentially HBM? I don't think so but we'll see.
Fair enough.

I don't want to make it seem like a certainty. I'm just bullish on it being HBM.

Granted, right now anything below $499 looks shaky but then there is still a year to go and we have been surprised about price versus certain specs before (8GB GDDR5). I'm still clinging on to Jim Ryan's fastest transition talk. This key point seems to be overlooked.

If they come in at a higher price then this gen then I doubt >10 million/yr sales for either.
While price would be a key part to that transition, I don't think it is solely tied to price. They are probably considering how their launch lineup will look (which will probably be the strongest it has ever been for a PS console) along with other factors. Also, what period would they be looking at? Are they just talking about the first few months? The first year? The second year? Depending on what time frame they are looking at, they could sell less the first year and then sell more the second year (after price cuts and more games) and perform better than PS4 comparatively.

I just think it is a more involved than what it appears to be.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The rumor:

1.7GBps with 4 stack gives a crazy 870 GB/s and a cumulated bandwidth of 972.4 GB/s.
giphy.gif

and i think i just lost all faith in this rumor. if the advantages were really this big, both in terms of price, performance and tdp savings, MS wouldve gone with hbm as well. the fact they didnt is proof that its not ready for consoles yet.

Aug 26, 2019
Granted, right now anything below $499 looks shaky but then there is still a year to go and we have been surprised about price versus certain specs before (8GB GDDR5). I'm still clinging on to Jim Ryan's fastest transition talk. This key point seems to be overlooked.

If they come in at a higher price then this gen then I doubt >10 million/yr sales for either.
Higher than $399 or higher than $499?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Fair enough.

I don't want to make it seem like a certainty. I'm just bullish on it being HBM.

While price would be a key part to that transition, I don't think it is solely tied to price. They are probably considering how their launch lineup will look (which will probably be the strongest it has ever been for a PS console) along with other factors. Also, what period would they be looking at? Are they just talking about the first few months? The first year? The second year? Depending on what time frame they are looking at, they could sell less the first year and then sell more the second year (after price cuts and more games) and perform better than PS4 comparatively.

The thing is that $499 price would mean that Sony started designing years ago PS5 with that price point in mind.Everything we know about what Sony did with PS4,Pro, and this entire for them most profitable console generation ever, tells us otherwise.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
What have they done wrong this gen to have such a negative opinion about PSVR2 ?

PSVR did an amazing job with the limited hw power and for next gen VR, I am sure Sony will deliver even better...

Awful screen. Tracking was something that I wasn't impressed with. If the goal was simply to be "good enough", it wasn't met in my eyes.
I understand that they released it to get their foot in the door and to see if it's worth it in the long run, kudos, but it just wasn't a good product to me.
And no, I'm not saying that VR is a gimmick and needs to go away.

Oct 25, 2017
i am planning to get both xbox SX and ps5 so there is no bias here.But its clear to see people are insecure about which is the weakest. They are not going to do another ps3 scenario.

Also, can you explain to me how sonys SSD speeds will be "quite a bit faster" when both are probably going to be the same 1TB NVME SSD?

That site says the SSD will have 2GB/s. I'm saying Sony's SSD will be faster than that. This is just based on how much Sony has been promoting their SSD. The Godfall devs calling it, "exceptionally powerful", etc... I think the SSD is one area Sony has invested a lot of time and effort into.

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is that $499 price would mean that Sony started designing years ago PS5 with that price point in mind.Everything we know about what Sony did with PS4,Pro, and this entire for them most profitable console generation ever, tells us otherwise.
I don't see how what they did with a previous generation informs us of their overall hardware strategy for a new generation. This is a whole new ball game.

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
Yup.

But why should they give a damn about that frankly?
PS2 was weaker then both GameCube and Xbox ,so what? It didn't hurt it in any way.

Many reasons
One being every Dignital Foundry pointing out how one product is consistently superior over another, the free publicity it generates matters to both Sony and Microsoft
The other reason being maybe want to please developers by giving them tools they require to push gaming forward.
Price is important but don't think that people at Sony including their first party developers and Mark Cerny somewhat don't care or lack ambition to put out excellent hardware out there. Both companies will want the power crown, the question is just how far are they willing push the price and from the looks of it they are going for the same price point.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I don't see how what they did with a previous generation informs us of their overall hardware strategy for a new generation. This is a whole new ball game.
As i said,they just had the most successful and profitable console gen ever.They had a brilliant execution from start in 2013 to finish in 2020.Why should they change their winning strategy?That doesn't make any sense.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going with the Hellblade 2 trailer as the absolute upper echelon of what next-gen graphics can be. That's as good as next-gen graphics can get, but most games will come far short of that (understandably).

I wouldn't go that far but I expect Hellblade II to still be one of the best looking games by the end of next gen because it will probably be quite linear when compared to the other full sized open World games so be able to really focus on micro details a bit like how The Order is still one of the best looking PS4 exclusives four years on and why Luigi's Mansion 3 is the best looking Switch game by far.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Awful screen. Tracking was something that I wasn't impressed with. If the goal was simply to be "good enough", it wasn't met in my eyes.
I understand that they released it to get their foot in the door and to see if it's worth it in the long run, kudos, but it just wasn't a good product to me.
And no, I'm not saying that VR is a gimmick and needs to go away.

PSVR screen had less screen door effect than other headsets which came at this time.
Tracking is not perfect but it's ok for most games and for next gen, Sony will for sure not use the same tracking technology...

They will try to push the medium and I don't see a reason to think that PSVR2 can not compete with actual headsets xD

Aug 26, 2019
I was recently reading an article in the Harvard Business Review on how companies with large market shares tend to keep to their winning business strategies because once they've achieved saturation then the cost for changing their formula outweighs the benefit of doing so. They're not going to ignore what worked for them.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
One being every Dignital Foundry pointing out how one product is consistently superior over another
Average console owner doesn't know what is Digital Foundry and doesn't care.They just want affordable console to play next gen games ( btw,that's why there is a huge potential for cheap Lockhart ).Tech enthusiasts like us on gaming forums know and watch it with interest but we don't represent mass market in any way.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Fair enough.

Honestly you could be right DS but I'm just giving my reading of what Sony have done this gen with PS4 (leaving aside Pro for now) and what they seem to have prepared for with next-gen.

Higher than $399 or higher than $499?

I did mean higher than $399 Tonky. Again though I'm not ruling out they go with $499 but then IMO Jim Ryan's words fall flat for me and make zero sense. Games won't be enough if the console is priced too high. At least outside of the 5% hardcore crowd.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
But why 16GB of DDR4?

Besides,as anexanhume said the other day, we didn't hear a word from Sony about that Super slim 7nm by Samsung PS4 and the guy who posted that on reddit deleted his account,so...
Of course we aren't sure that info is true.
But if it is then something might have changed over time. 16GB DDR4 was used for lower cost but now it becomes 16GB HBM2. And 7nm PS4 would be delayed to compete against Lockhart.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
So what's the consensus on Lockhart? Are the games gonna be base developing from series x and scaled down to Lock or the other way round?
From everything MS has said and done so far Series X is clearly the main platform..not to mention, other than rumors we don't even know what Lockhart is, how it will work or when it will launch.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019

That site says the SSD will have 2GB/s. I'm saying Sony's SSD will be faster than that. This is just based on how much Sony has been promoting their SSD. The Godfall devs calling it, "exceptionally powerful", etc... I think the SSD is one area Sony has invested a lot of time and effort into.
the key word in that article is "heard". it is not 100% correct. Godfall devs that are making an exclusive game for ps5 are obviously going to say good things like "exceptionally powerful". Then you have a neutral source saying they are nearly identical. i know which i would rather believe.

Chances are both NVME SSD's will be supplied by the same company and will be pretty much identical. Read speeds included. Just because they talk a bit more about it doesn't mean its any different.

Oct 25, 2017
As i said,they just had the most successful and profitable console gen ever.They had a brilliant execution from start in 2013 to finish in 2020.Why should they change their winning strategy?That doesn't make any sense.
You're implying things stay the same from gen to gen. They don't.

the key word in that article is "heard". it is not 100% correct. Godfall devs that are making an exclusive game for ps5 are obviously going to say good things like "exceptionally powerful". Then you have a neutral source saying they are nearly identical. i know which i would rather believe.

Chances are both NVME SSD's will be supplied by the same company and will be pretty much identical. Read speeds included. Just because they talk a bit more about it doesn't mean its any different.
We can agree to disagree.

Aug 26, 2019
I did mean higher than $399 Tonky. Again though I'm not ruling out they go with $499 but then IMO Jim Ryan's words fall flat for me and make zero sense. Games won't be enough if the console is priced too high. At least outside of the 5% hardcore crowd.
I would have to agree but I also understand DriftingSpirit argument. One question I have is whether you think consumers (outside of the enthusiasts) would generally be more willing, less willing, or the equally willing to pay for a higher priced console in 2020 than in 2013? And this doesn't just go for consoles, I'd like to know whether there is an answer for this in consumer electronics in general.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I have a feeling people think about 1X when they say $499 is "just fine". But 1X is an enthusiast console,their mass market console is 1S.

Besides, XB1 launched at $499,yes, but they had to ditch Kinect and cut the price pretty fast in Feb.2014 already,just 3 months after launch,cause their sales significantly slowed down.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
hence based on Sony PR and money hatted devs, good sources I must say
That same sony PR told us a quantifyable figure for the SSD, higher read bandwidth than anything on PC, for its time that would mean over 3.5GB/s read bandwidth, and thanks to the latest article where a comapny heavily modified an SSD in similar ways to what the stuff sony researched and saved costs by half and tripled the write bandwidth, i wont be surprised if we see a similar thing happen with the PS5

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
One question I have is whether you think consumers (outside of the enthusiasts) would generally be more willing, less willing, or the equally willing to pay for a higher priced console in 2020 than in 2013?
The answer is no.And that's the reason why Lockhart exists: MS knows very well that $499 ( Series X) is simply too high for a mass market console.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling people think about 1X when they say $499 is "just fine". But 1X is an enthusiast console,their mass market console is 1S.

Besides, XB1 launched at $499,yes, but they had to ditch Kinect and cut the price pretty fast in Feb.2014 already,just 3 months after launch,cause their sales significantly slowed down.
The XB1 had a terrible launch. I don't think that is the best gauge for a $499 price point.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
I think Klee was saying the final performance target calculation was correct, not so much the actual configuration
It was too specific to be anything else, because he hasn't given a nod to any Sony final number that was thrown around and they have had all sorts of ranges. He just said that it wasn't 10.something

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

and i think i just lost all faith in this rumor. if the advantages were really this big, both in terms of price, performance and tdp savings, MS wouldve gone with hbm as well. the fact they didnt is proof that its not ready for consoles yet.
It could also be a short term loss to long term benefit? Sony might be willing to take the hit initially.

The initial investment in HBM is expensive but as HBM3 and the mass scale is produced - the price can fall dramatically eventually hitting a point where its far below GDDR6.

Perhaps Microsoft wasn't willing to do so?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
The XB1 had a terrible launch. I don't think that is the best gauge for a $499 price point.
As i said there is a good reason why Lockhart exists : $499 is simply too much for a mass market console and MS knows that very well. Enthusiasts,like us here, will buy $499 console but huge part of mass market simply won't.They want to play next gen games but they want affordable console.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
That same sony PR told us a quantifyable figure for the SSD, higher read bandwidth than anything on PC, for its time that would mean over 3.5GB/s read bandwidth, and thanks to the latest article where a comapny heavily modified an SSD in similar ways to what the stuff sony researched and saved costs by half and tripled the write bandwidth, i wont be surprised if we see a similar thing happen with the PS5
yeah the same Sony PR that overhyped FP16 support making it out like it was more powerful than the X.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
did that sony PR give you hard number? nope. You dont know if the reference base was 3.5GB/s in their PR heads.

Oct 25, 2017
It could also be a short term loss to long term benefit? Sony might be willing to take the hit initially.

The initial investment in HBM is expensive but as HBM3 and the mass scale is produced - the price can fall dramatically eventually hitting a point where its far below GDDR6.

Perhaps Microsoft wasn't willing to do so?
Or they just have a different plan and strategy.

As i said there is a good reason why Lockhart exists : $499 is simply too much for a mass market console and MS knows that very well. Enthusiasts,like us here, will buy $499 console but huge part of mass market simply won't.
I think that is more because of Microsoft's own hardware issues. They aren't sure the top unit will go as far as they would like it to.

Sony's hardware has a way bigger market to sell to, however, and they sold 100M+ units this gen. What MS is doing with hardware isn't reflective of what Sony is doing and vice versa.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
giphy.gif

Remember that going HBM would also mean betting on a memory that had a ridiculous cost back at the design stage, unsure whether its prices will drop like projected.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
did that sony PR give you hard number? nope. You dont know if the reference base was 3.5GB/s in their PR heads.
Okay tell me this.
How can the reference base be lower than 3.5GB/s when they literally said "higher read bandwidth than ANY SSD on PC"

EDIT : i apologize for the double post

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I would have to agree but I also understand DriftingSpirit argument. One question I have is whether you think consumers (outside of the enthusiasts) would generally be more willing, less willing, or the equally willing to pay for a higher priced console in 2020 than in 2013? And this doesn't just go for consoles, I'd like to know whether there is an answer for this in consumer electronics in general.

I'm in the UK and to be fair the more casual players I know are actually much more aware of the gaming forums like this and the likes of DF. They still don't really care much about the ins and outs like we do. SM probably is the main driver with this. Both the Wired articles for PS5 made my local radio news too.

The last 2 consoles that went on sale >£400 both very quickly had a change of heart and reduced price. PS3 went from £425 to £299 in 6 months. I'm actually curious to see a next-gen console come in >£400 just to see if it is tolerated more today.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

From everything we have heard, chances are not that.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Going by AMD's past designs, 64 CUs is unrealistic for a mass market console. With Vega, 64 CUs was reserved for the top of the line, best of the best graphics chips. For consoles, I expect less total CUs with some disabled for yield reasons. I could be wrong on this if Navi is designed to go above 64 CUs. Also I'd imagine costs and thermals probably wouldn't be ideal with a die that big, but I don't know.
Why are we basing things on past designs and not future ones that consoles will be based on? Wasn't there a leak of 80CU GPU?

We have seen how bad AMD cards are in thermals with anything above 1600mhz, more cu at lower frequency and process shrink will produce less heat than trying to push high frequency.

I highly doubt that Sony is doing 1800-2000MHz, more likely 64cu with 4 disabled and doing 1600 while MS is currently doing 1475MHz.

From past designs like Pro and X models had lower clocks and more CU than equivalent offerings.

Going for top of the line GPUs didn't make sense as they had no access to CPU to match.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I had no idea the HBM2 rumor included a 256-bit bus for the DDR4. That's insane, 256-bit bus + HBM2 bus? At the same cost they could have had more than 382-bit bus for GDDR6. Combine that with the PS4 slim 7nm that never came out and we can put that rumor to rest.

I'm not saying that Sony does or doesn't have HBM2 in the PS5, just that his rumor is probably false.

Status
Not open for further replies.