Status
Not open for further replies.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm glad to see the interest in Arden over the past 10 pages. Hopefully everyone arguing about it will buy one when it releases 🤣

Selfishly I do hope Sony adds more WGPs so games with PS as a lead platform don't hold games back on Series X. Smaller 3rd party teams sometimes don't bother optimizing out even taking advantage of mid gen refreshes. Financially though a $399.99 box is hard to pass up.

Also: For Series X: what's 56 CUs at 1.8Ghz? I can't see them clocking too much lower than that

That would be 12.9 TF for Xbox Series X in that scenario if clocked at 1.8 GHz. The form factor designed solely around performance and heat dissipation is one of the strongest reasons that I think they probably have the headroom to "win" the paper power crown if they really choose to even if it doesn't necessarily matter much in real world game performance.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
My suspicion: The Oberon/Ariel chips are a design that was designed for the planned 2019 release of PS5. At some point Sony decided to wait for more advanced technologies like RT and VRS, but decided to go ahead and use the original APU design in the early Devkits. The reason the clock speed is cranked so high was to get them as close to possible to the final silicon's target performance. While it falls short of the target, it's good enough for devs to start working with and for the OS and BC teams to get their tools up and running. The final PS5 chip is bigger, probably clocked lower and has yet to be leaked. This would explain why the performance stats don't match up with the insider information implying PS5 is more powerful, while also explaining why Sony was further along getting devkits in the wild.
#teamreal

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I think that it is very possible/likely that we get more Xbox Series X information at CES on January 6th when AMD has their media day.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That's more then the 15% he implied

Someone asked if 15% was close, he said in his mind 15% is considered close.

He did not say 15% or less will be the difference and its close. Look up his quote, the context of the conversation before you go around calling people liars.

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
It was speculated because the name showed up as project name even in test surrounding what is to believed PS5 parts such as Oberon.

That all parts believed to be in the PS5 are all named after characters in Shakespeare plays and Arden is not only the name of the complete collection of Shakespeare's work it's also his mothers name and a Forrest in one of his works.

Also the fact that no believed Xbox part have any reference to Shakespeare except Arden made some of us question it.

Than when you search for were the rumor that Arden was a ms codename began we found that it came from Hmgqq and Brad Sams and both those insiders did not even know what it was.

Crazy to speculate on right.... No reason for it at all.

Arden is actually an area in Warwickshire which includes Stratford upon Avon (yes, Shakespeare's birthplace). We even have a village called Henley in Arden just a few miles down the road towards Birmingham and the hotel opposite the main theatre is called Arden. PS5 = Arden confirmed! Pls don't hate me 🤣

hmqgg

Nov 1, 2017
Since you're around, any clue why the leaked document might have referenced Arden and Oberon together? Likely user error on the part of the person who made the document?

It depends on how AMD manages QA, that's possible. But I don't even think the repo owner knows what Arden/Oberon actually is.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina

He did not say 15% or less will be the difference and its close. Look up his quote, the context of the conversation before you go around calling people liars.
No, He was asked this "I trust what you say, so I want to ask if when you said the consoles are "very close" in power did you mean like a 2 teraflop difference or less?" and this is his response "I would consider ~15% difference or less to be very close, depending on other factors of course. "

Grayson

Banned
Aug 21, 2019
No, He was asked this "I trust what you say, so I want to ask if when you said the consoles are "very close" in power did you mean like a 2 teraflop difference or less?" and this is his response "I would consider ~15% difference or less to be very close, depending on other factors of course. "
Correct.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's funny because I am definitely excited for more powerful machines, but I think with the Pro and the X we've been spoiled this gen. I'm also excited about any features that come with these machines: stuff like SharePlay or the BC program for Xbox. I think it's going to be interesting. I'm assuming both companies will continue with their OS's in some fashion, it'd be really silly to start anew.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
Where is this idea coming from? Why would MS lie to developers about target specs?

Plus, current specs leaked as early as Feb:
www.jeuxvideo.com

Projet Scarlet : les deux prochaines Xbox dévoilées à l'E3 2019

Aujourd'hui, jeuxvideo.com est en mesure de vous confirmer que le projet Scarlet, c'est-à-dire les consoles Xbox de 9ème génération, sera présenté à l'occasion de l'E3 2019. Et elles ne feront pas le voyage toutes seules. Les choses se précisent du côté de Xbox, qui prépare sereinement son...
Woah. It's spot on to recent leaks.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017

That's not how it happened. Matt said "they", meaning PS5 and Series X, are close. Then someone asked what Matt considers close. He said difference of less than 15%. Meaning, if you were really following the context, is that PS5 and Series X are within 15% of each other.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017

The irony...
Here is the context, and he did basically say just that.
www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT7| - nm

I would consider ~15% difference or less to be very close, depending on other factors of course.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Anything that makes sense will be ignored.
Yeah SSD is great tech but it isn't 100% the reason why that Spider-man demo was a thing. It's all about the entire system to get that level of traversal speed possible. A faster SSD isn't going to single handedly make up for all the raw performance difference that is possible with what we currently are speculating on.

There also another dev that is disagreeing with some of what he is saying .
For these things is always good to get as much data as possible.
In fact depending on how engine is done there can be difference .

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

God damn. Your right. I'll take the L lol.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Hey guys. What do you think the cooling solution will be in these? The fact the X1X has a vapor chamber - to me - is super cool.

sincerely,
BoxingIsCool

Nov 11, 2017
When it all said and done I think a lot of the confusion that people had at e3 such as reiner was the fact that devs at the time was comparing two different architectures. The dev that reiner talked to most likely compared vega preview kits(xbox) to the more mature navi ps5 kits. Situations like that brings a lot of confusion with 2nd sometimes 3rd person handled information. I don't think Reiner was wrong he/ the dev just wasn't comparing apples to apples

Feb 8, 2018
It's funny because I am definitely excited for more powerful machines, but I think with the Pro and the X we've been spoiled this gen. I'm also excited about any features that come with these machines: stuff like SharePlay or the BC program for Xbox. I think it's going to be interesting. I'm assuming both companies will continue with their OS's in some fashion, it'd be really silly to start anew.

No one has taken true advantage of the pro consoles other than resolution bumps and few other ways to make titles run better compared to base consoles. The jump will be there in certain cases. Tech demos and the hellblade 2 trailer + Halo: infinite teaser are the only real "spoilers" right now imo.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
If XSX is indeed 12TF then bravo to MS ! Their hardware is fantastic

Add to that they have 15 studios working on next gen games and all of them will be released on PC

For the first time ever, Im excited for the next Xbox

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Have we considered that what Jason said was in reference to the consoles as a whole and not one specific component?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert but I can't think of anything else in the system (eg ram, cpu, bandwidth, ssd speed) that could combine to make up for a 3TF GPU shortfall...

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
When it all said and done I think a lot of the confusion that people had at e3 such as reiner was the fact that devs at the time was comparing two different architectures. The dev that reiner talked to most likely compared vega preview kits(xbox) to the more mature navi ps5 kits. Situations like that brings a lot of confusion with 2nd sometimes 3rd person handled information. I don't think Reiner was wrong he/ the dev just wasn't comparing apples to apples
Speaking of Vega, i think those first PS5 dev kits, "big silver towers" from the Wired article, probably had Vega cards in them as well.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Even if any of them are 7nm+(probably not) is really hard to believe it could delivery 12 tflops under 200w. It would need more than 30% tdp improvement. Impossible.

That's why I don't believe in any console at 12 tflops but both can get to 10 tflops. More probably Xbox
My bet for xsx is 10.8 with 275w tdp the whole system.

To have 12 tflops on a console amd need to show a gpu for pc with at least 20 tflops. If they delivery that than a 12 tflops console is possible.
The other why I don't believe in 12tfp is amd history with gpus and consoles never had high end parts. So it is really hard to believe will have a high end gpu that doesn't exist in the market.

I agree but i really hope we are wrong... 7nm seems to young and if we talk about 7nm+, we all don't know yet what performance it delivers. And 7nm+ need to be more mature to be implemented the same year in console.

So :

1) You need 7nm+ to be really efficieny
2) You need a really mature node process which i don't know if 7nm+ could be in 2020.
3) I don't think Sony or MS will take the risk of a too young node process.

Deleted member 61179

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
I still have a hard time to believe that ps5 will be 399 even with 8tf+. The tech is just so advanced with zen2, ssd, gddr6, haptic controllers that i wouldn't be surprised if it will be 449$ at least.
The same for xsx and 499$.

Sony has to deliver a razor sharp messaging and marketing campaign if they want people who are going to buy their first console to choose their side.
With xsx and lockhart MS has an option for power and price, combined with a multimillion dollar marketing campaign for halo infinite and gamepass, possible trailers for playground games rpg and the initiatives first game, MS throws EVERYTHING they got into the launch of next gen.

Sony is coming out in a year where Final Fantasy 7 Remake, The Last of Us Part 2 and Ghost and Tsushima(hype!) have released.
Furthermore their wws have had access to devkits for 2 years and they only need to code and optimise for one plattform only. Eyemelting graphics are expected.
Spider-man 2, Gow2, hzd2 are 10mil+ franchises but the ultimate progamer power move will be a 399$(349$)PS5 + GTA6 blackfriday bundle holiday 2022 ;)

The only downside for ps5 will be that they probably 'loose' every DF comparison with the xsx if you think that a difference of 1800p vs. 2160p is loosing/winning

Status
Not open for further replies.