• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only Nintendo fan to have never been disappointed by a Direct?
No joke, this was me up until the September 2019 Direct. The lack of any brand new first party game really sucked, and while I'm always interested in Smash, Terry was a literal "who?" for me so that didn't hit as hard. Would've even been better if it was a "who?" but female. Banjo shadow drop was the best part.

Thankfully H2 2019 was packed so the need for a direct wasn't even there really, but it was still disappointing given how good the Feb and E3 directs were. And if we got a direct on par with Sept 2019 now.... god that would suck.

I won't bitch and moan about it, and will move in pretty quickly, but yeah sept was underwhelming.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Am I the only Nintendo fan to have never been disappointed by a Direct?

No I've loved every one I've seen but I only started paying attention to directs until I got a Switch. Every Direct people have complained about have been ones I loved. Though I also like niche games so that's probably why.

Helps when you're not exclusively interested in Mario and Zelda, guys. :p

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No joke, this was me up until the September 2019 Direct. The lack of any brand new first party game really sucked, and while I'm always interested in Smash, Terry was a literal "who?" for me so that didn't hit as hard. Would've even been better if it was a "who?" but female. Banjo shadow drop was the best part.

Thankfully H2 2019 was packed so the need for a direct wasn't even there really, but it was still disappointing given how good the Feb and E3 directs were. And if we got a direct on par with Sept 2019 now.... god that would suck.

I won't bitch and moan about it, and will move in pretty quickly, but yeah sept was underwhelming.
The September direct would have been so good if they announced the Famicom Detective Club remake worldwide instead of just in Japan.

We better get that game.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The September direct would have been so good if they announced the Famicom Detective Club remake worldwide instead of just in Japan.

We better get that game.
Yeah I've never played them and don't know much about them, but I could've potentially been really interested. Now, it's at a 0% interest

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019

Thing is, even if this Direct isn't great, we know for a fact we're getting an E3 Direct in only three months or so. That'll soften the blow a lot.

Part of what made September underwhelming was the long stretch of no news to follow, and the game awards being mostly a bust.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've never played them and don't know much about them, but I could've potentially been really interested. Now, it's at a 0% interest
I understand why Brain Age didn't come stateside, but FDC really has no reason, as I'm sure even a voice acting budget would be offset by the sales of diehard nintendo fans. But who knows.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, even if this Direct isn't great, we know for a fact we're getting an E3 Direct in only three months or so. That'll soften the blow a lot.

Part of what made September underwhelming was the long stretch of no news to follow, and the game awards being mostly a bust.
I mean technically yea, but like with so much unknown, this direct kind of has to show real shit. At least two big games coming from june on.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I understand why Brain Age didn't come stateside, but FDC really has no reason, as I'm sure even a voice acting budget would be offset by the sales of diehard nintendo fans. But who knows.

Brain Age at the very least was still localized. So far, every first party release of Nintendo's on Switch has gotten a localization. With how popular games like Ace Attorney and Danganronpa have been overseas, I think there's a good chance of the FDC remakes getting a localization. Hopefully we'll have an answer by the next general Direct!

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
So-Youre-Telling-Me-Theres-a-Chance-In-Dumb-and-Dumber-Gif.gif

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Saying he has been wrong before is kind of an easy way to get out of it. I don't see anyway that they have a direct right when pax is going on day 1. It makes no sense at all. Those games wouldn't even be at pax, yet they would be marketing the upcoming games like AC and mystery dungeon? Plus all the media people there wouldn't even be watching or covering the direct.
Indie Directs have been right at/around the time of gamescom, so I don't see a problem.

Jan 11, 2018

Nah. Out of the games there that I've played:

God Tier: Tropical Freeze and Luigi's Mansion 3
Elite Tier: Super Mario Odyssey, Link's Awakening, Super Mario Maker 2, and MK8 Deluxe
Kinda Clean Tier: Travis Strikes Again, Yoshi's Crafted World, New Super Mario Bros. U, Splatoon 2
Ight Tier: BotW
Nah Tier: Nothing.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Indierects can happen at any time really
Apart from summer I agree, but there has been one every august since atleast 2017, right around the time of gamescom.
Don't know if it just coincides with summer or is part of their marketing strategy around gamescom.
I mean they do a stage show there that is livestreamed.
Mostly just smash tournaments and other stuff to engage the audience there at the booth.

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018

bruh that direct they announced more DLC fighters in development, as a smash fan I just about cried rofl

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas
Nah. Out of the games there that I've played:

God Tier: Tropical Freeze and Luigi's Mansion 3
Elite Tier: Super Mario Odyssey, Link's Awakening, Super Mario Maker 2, and MK8 Deluxe
Kinda Clean Tier: Travis Strikes Again, Yoshi's Crafted World, New Super Mario Bros. U, Splatoon 2
Ight Tier: BotW
Nah Tier: Nothing.
That's more personal taste than objective look tbh.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I just realized I did not beg for a Nier: Automata port and a Bayonetta 3 reveal in this thread.

Please Nintendo, please SQUARE, please Platinum. Give me the goods.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I just realized I did not beg for a Nier: Automata port and a Bayonetta 3 reveal in this thread.

Please Nintendo, please SQUARE, please Platinum. Give me the goods.

I'm surprised Nier hasn't happened tbh, I feel like when the switch launched there was interest in doing it but then nothing seems to have been done about it.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't comment on the other games/tiers but GOD TIER for me:

Super Mario Odyssey
Breath of the Wild
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Xenoblade 2(+Torna)
Luigi's Mansion 3
Astral Chain

Deleted member 6122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ERLBtzGWsAEY_Qz

Was going to do a D tier but honestly, every one of the games on that list that I played I enjoyed at least a little bit so none of them were really below C for me. Order matters within tiers. Sorry but Mario + Rabbids didn't do a whole lot for me and I actually just beat it yesterday so it's still fresh in my mind.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
This theoretical direct would be right on day 1 of pax though, right when media coverage is going on full blast for animal crossing, mystery dungeon, etc.
So, what, exactly? People aren't going to pay attention to new announcements from one of the world's biggest publishers? It's not as if the future of every game at a hypothetical Direct next week relies on the exposure right there in the moment, either. If any news gets lost, Nintendo will reiterate ahead of time. Nintendo can have multiple games being advertised for multiple points in time, PAX or no PAX, because that's how they always operate. It's not as if we only ever know about one big release at a time. In fact, as we've all been saying, the situation in early 2020 is pretty unusual in that we know so little about the remainder of the calendar year.

Media will cover Nintendo if they make major announcements next week. I'm not convinced it's coming, but I wouldn't rule it out on the basis that there's PAX. News from Nintendo will cut through regardless and they know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.