What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
a diffrent company would release pikman trilogy with 1 and 2 remakes in the 3 engine
Yes Pikmin 3 port seems like a lousy effort to fill a gap due to no products being available. Even if they add some extra content, which would be minuscule going by recent ports, it would be an armed robbery at a $60 price tag. $30 at the most and even then, it would be an aggressive move towards Wii U owners of the game, since they did buy the game a couple of years ago and will miss the extra content. We are not talking about a game released 3 gens ago, the game came out less than 1 gen ago

Oct 27, 2017
Yes Pikmin 3 port seems like a lousy effort to fill a gap due to no products being available. Even if they add some extra content, which would be minuscule going by recent ports, it would be an armed robbery at a $60 price tag. $30 at the most and even then, it would be an aggressive move towards Wii U owners of the game, since they did buy the game a couple of years ago and will miss the extra content. We are not talking about a game released 3 gens ago, the game came out less than 1 gen ago
Pikmin 3 came out nearly 7 years ago, not 2.

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
Pikmin 3 came out nearly 7 years ago, not 2.
Doesn't matter, it came.out last gen, and those.people who bought it, including myself, and that spent money one the DLC as well,.will be burnt. Having to spend 60 bucks just to play a little bit of.extra content.

Same happened with the MK8 port, Captain Toad port and some others. The only game where they got it right was BotW. They could have still given WiiU players the chance of.getting that extra content without having to pay for an entire new game again.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
They won't be announcing the entire holiday lineup months in advance. That being said, I don't think it's impossible for a holiday 2020 title to be announced in the next Direct. They could showcase a couple games if they wanted to.

Well we should know most of it with the next direct tho. Smash, pokemon and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 were all announced before E3 and we won't see another direct before then. I'm not expecting full reveal but we should have atleast a teaser.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Doesn't matter, it came.out last gen, and those.people who bought it, including myself, and that spent money one the DLC as well,.will be burnt. Having to spend 60 bucks just to play a little bit of.extra content.

You don't have to pay $60 if you don't think the new content (if any) is worth it. You got the game you paid for. Your game isn't going away.

It's been seven years. How does an enhanced re-release of Pikmin 3 "burn" you any more than, say, Pikmin 4 would? Or any other game, for that matter? If you're not a Pikmin superfan, you can skip this version.

Oct 27, 2017

Same happened with the MK8 port, Captain Toad port and some others. The only game where they got it right was BotW. They could have still given WiiU players the chance of.getting that extra content without having to pay for an entire new game again.
Do you really still expect Wii U support? The systems userbase has by and large moved on. That would be like still expecting PS3/360/Vita support. All those systems are discountinued and the number of people still using/buying stuff on then has withered away.

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
Do you really still expect Wii U support? The systems userbase has by and large moved on. That would be like still expecting PS3/360/Vita support. All those systems are discountinued and the number of people still using/buying stuff on then has withered away.
I'm talking about a game that people bought until 2017 when WiiU was still a thing. Meaning that owning a WiiU was then a terrible choice. All of the games I got were going to be replaced by a superior version some years.later.

If it was OoT which came 20 years ago, or Link's Awakening, that's fine. But porting the games and adding content a few years later is terrible. They could have still given WiiU owners the chance of playing that extra content. They did so with BotW and partially with Hyrule Warriors when the game came out on 3DS. Not that hard, and basically resourceless, it's just a simple port on an already functional engine.

But it looks like I'm insulting people if I ask for coherence when doing things. It's okay though, Nintendo knows who to burn, the Switch is a success and they can sell old games.to.anyone. People even pay for the same game twice. Just a tip, not everyone lives in the US and can afford to pay for a game multiple times. I still believe this is unfair and a dirty move towards the original game buyers, since the game are.not even a gen old. Makes you wonder if it's a.good.move to buy a new game today or wait a few years to see.it ported and perfected with new added content.

Edit responding to the 2 posts

Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about a game that people bought until 2017 when WiiU was still a thing. Meaning that owning a WiiU was then a terrible choice. All of the games I got were going to be replaced by a superior version some years.later.

If it was OoT which came 20 years ago, or Link's Awakening, that's fine. But porting the games and adding content a few years later is terrible. They could have still given WiiU owners the chance of playing that extra content. They did so with BotW and partially with Hyrule Warriors when the game came out on 3DS. Not that hard, and basically resourceless, it's just a simple port on an already functional engine.

But it looks like I'm insulting people if I ask for coherence when doing things. It's okay though, Nintendo knows who to burn, the Switch is a success and they can sell old games.to.anyone. People even pay for the same game twice. Just a tip, not everyone lives in the US and can afford to pay for a game multiple times. I still believe this is unfair and a dirty move towards the original game buyers, since the game are.not even a gen old. Makes you wonder if it's a.good.move to buy a new game today or wait a few years to see.it ported and perfected with new added content.

Edit responding to the 2 posts
You don't have to buy the game again, I highly doubt the content will be that enticing. Also the Wii U was replaced 3 years ago. You really shouldn't expect support for games to extend that long.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

I mean…yeah. It was a failed console. And even if it wasn't, better versions of products come out over time. That's just life.

Nintendo has a lot of great games on that console that they put a lot of effort into. It makes no sense for anyone — for Nintendo or for gamers — for those games to be stuck on the Wii U forever just to avoid upsetting quasi-irrational Wii U owners.

I bought a Wii U. I bought all those games. I'm not sad that those games are getting a second life, and a second chance at market success. The world is better when more people can play those good games.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Makes you wonder if it's a.good.move to buy a new game today or wait a few years to see.it ported and perfected with new added content.
if you're this particular about it, you actually really should wait. a bunch of people don't buy new games to avoid the sort of situations you're describing and it's a perfectly legitimate way to engage with the hobby.

personally I don't think a smattering of new content invalidates a $60 purchase I made when I was 13 but y'know, if that's how you feel new games might not be worth it for you, nothing wrong with that

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
You don't have to buy the game again, I highly doubt the content will be that enticing. Also the Wii U was replaced 3 years ago. You really shouldn't expect support for games to extend that long.
I understand and that's why I simply ask for the game to be a reasonable price then, I do want to play the extra content, but not pay full price for the game again. It makes basically no sense. The ones losing here are the original owners of the WiiU game, the rest ends up winning. I own almost the entirety of Nintendo's 1st party catalog for the WiiU, please bear with me here.

But your point still stands and they want to make money, it's a business after all. They just need to know that people remember about these things and it could come after them in the future.

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
I mean…yeah. It was a failed console. And even if it wasn't, better versions of products come out over time. That's just life.

Nintendo has a lot of great games on that console that they put a lot of effort into. It makes no sense for anyone — for Nintendo or for gamers — for those games to be stuck on the Wii U forever just to avoid upsetting quasi-irrational Wii U owners.

I bought a Wii U. I bought all those games. I'm not sad that those games are getting a second life, and a second chance at market success. The world is better when more people can play those good games.
Yeah I agree, but I still have that bitterness in me. I should cool.and wait.for.the direct. The "expect tons of ports" part.of.the rumor has.me going nuts over this. I expected a lot of new games and hopefully it wasn't in vain.

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
if you're this particular about it, you actually really should wait. a bunch of people don't buy new games to avoid the sort of situations you're describing and it's a perfectly legitimate way to engage with the hobby.

personally I don't think a smattering of new content invalidates a $60 purchase I made when I was 13 but y'know, if that's how you feel new games might not be worth it for you, nothing wrong with that
I'm a blind Nintendo fan, cannot wait most of the times. I should follow your advice though and try to do it. I have waited before for price drops, but they never came. So.when I choose not.to.wait, a greater port comes.out. If I choose to wait, the game never drops in price and I'm playing and old game at full price.

My bad luck and timing I guess.

By the way, the minimum monthly salary here is 200 USD, and we pay 30% extra when importing things, so you can.picture why I'm angry at the moment.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Just a tip, not everyone lives in the US and can afford to pay for a game multiple times.
Then…don't?

I just can't for the life of me understand being upset or feeling "burned" that a product like a Pikmin 3 remaster exists the better part of a decade after its original release. If you don't want it, don't buy it. You got the game you paid for. In no way does purchasing that disc give you any sort of claim whatsoever to any new Pikmin content Nintendo might release (and I can't stress this enough) seven years later. Nintendo can release new Pikmin content and charge for it. If you don't think the content is worth the asking price, you're welcome to vote with your wallet.

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
Then…don't?

I just can't for the life of me understand being upset or feeling "burned" that a product like a Pikmin 3 remaster exists the better part of a decade after its original release. If you don't want it, don't buy it. You got the game you paid for. In no way does purchasing that disc give you any sort of claim whatsoever to any new Pikmin content Nintendo might release (and I can't stress this enough) seven years later. Nintendo can release new Pikmin content and charge for it. If you don't think the content is worth the asking price, you're welcome to vote with your wallet.
If it takes the spot out of a new game, then it angers me. If not, I could care less, since my focus are new games, but hearing the port heavy year rumors just got my blood at its boiling point.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I'm a blind Nintendo fan, cannot wait most of the times. I should follow your advice though and try to do it. I have waited before for price drops, but they never came. So.when I choose not.to.wait, a greater port comes.out. If I choose to wait, the game never drops in price and I'm playing and old game at full price.

My bad luck and timing I guess.

By the way, the minimum monthly salary here is 200 USD, and we pay 30% extra when importing things, so you can.picture why I'm angry at the moment.
I'm sorry man, but you're right on the money when you say it's bad luck and timing. The issue of timing is why in some cases (especially with Nintendo now both releasing a lot of ports and announcing them with an unprecedented turnaround to release), leaks and hints can be consumer friendly. I'm starting to get impatient but I'll be grateful I didn't buy Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii once the Switch version comes out. Similarly, had the rumor of a Super Metroid remake gained more traction sooner, I'd have waited on that too.

Did I have a point again? Ah yeah it's unfortunate for you no doubt but please understand that I just wanna play Pikmin 3 in the library

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
A port requires way way way fewer resources than a new game. If Nintendo didn't release ports, it's not like they would release a new game in each "slot" instead. They would just release fewer products.

Edit: what Nate just said, lol :,(

Edit edit: I'll just add that in every other medium, reissues of "catalog" content are common, and no one thinks twice about it or thinks that they're replacing new products.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Edit edit: I'll just add that in every other medium, reissues of "catalog" content are common, and no one thinks twice about it or thinks that they're replacing new products.
Counterpoint though, buying a greatest hits album for three new songs suuuuucks. If anything that comparison makes me more sympathetic to trestres

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Counterpoint though, buying a greatest hits album for three new songs suuuuucks. If anything that comparison makes me more sympathetic to trestres

That's a greatest hits album, though. That's different from an album reissue. New versions of classic albums get pressed all the time – either they're remasters, or they add a b-side or two, or they're just colored vinyl…

It's the same thing with movies. Nobody thinks Disney is making a Diamond Signature edition of Cinderella instead of making a new film. It doesn't make any sense to be upset when a Blu-ray version of a movie comes out seven years after the DVD.

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
I'm sorry man, but you're right on the money when you say it's bad luck and timing. The issue of timing is why in some cases (especially with Nintendo now both releasing a lot of ports and announcing them with an unprecedented turnaround to release), leaks and hints can be consumer friendly. I'm starting to get impatient but I'll be grateful I didn't buy Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii once the Switch version comes out. Similarly, had the rumor of a Super Metroid remake gained more traction sooner, I'd have waited on that too.

Did I have a point again? Ah yeah it's unfortunate for you no doubt but please understand that I just wanna play Pikmin 3 in the library
Racoon, even if you are an anagram for corona, you are still a great guy! Era community once again saves my day from spiraling into negative field.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
That's a greatest hits album, though. That's different from an album reissue. New versions of classic albums get pressed all the time – either they're remasters, or they add a b-side or two, or they're just colored vinyl…

It's the same thing with movies. Nobody thinks Disney is making a Diamond Signature edition of Cinderella instead of making a new film. It doesn't make any sense to be upset when a Blu-ray version of a movie comes out seven years after the DVD.
Mostly agreed, although there are certain exceptions that have particularly unusual circumstances to them.

Example: Persona 5 Royal. It's sort of a definitive edition mixed with an expansion, but it's a full price game and not available as DLC. But it's releasing only three years after the original, and on the exact same system as the original.

I'm such a massive P5 fan that it doesn't bother me and I'll be getting it anyway, but I can definitely understand why a lot of people are raising their eyebrows at it.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Mostly agreed, although there are certain exceptions that have particularly unusual circumstances to them.

Example: Persona 5 Royal. It's sort of a definitive edition mixed with an expansion, but it's a full price game and not available as DLC. But it's releasing only three years after the original, and on the exact same system as the original.

I'm such a massive P5 fan that it doesn't bother me and I'll be getting it anyway, but I can definitely understand why a lot of people are raising their eyebrows at it.

Oh, totally. Like, if someone bought Pikmin 3 in July 2013, and then five months later in December Nintendo released an "enhanced" Pikmin 3+ and there was no way to upgrade and Nintendo didn't have a history of doing this, I could understand someone feeling burned. Like, Level-5 does exactly that with all the Yo-Kai Watch games, and I can understand someone feeling burned by that if they didn't know ahead of time that they always did that.

But that's not really what we're talking about here. Pikmin 3 came out a long time ago and even if any potential "enhancements" could be DLC, it was on a different, now-dead system.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
People say ports or "enhanced ports" never take up any resources but yet we have like how many studios, like 30-50 crew, just dedicated to ports and take at least a year on them. Pile up the hundred ports Switch has been getting or will be getting and that's the potential we're missing

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Switch Wars almost got made but instead all those resources went towards Funky mode in tropical freeze very sad really

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
People say ports or "enhanced ports" never take up any resources but yet we have like how many studios, like 30-50 crew, just dedicated to ports and take at least a year on them. Pile up the hundred ports Switch has been getting or will be getting and that's the potential we're missing
Not really imo. Those port studios wouldn't just be working on new Switch games instead. Panic Button and Virtuos wouldn't be making new Switch games if they weren't porting games. By the same token, I believe most if not all of the resources put into ports wouldn't have gone to new games for Switch otherwise.

Last edited:

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Come to think of it, didn't Nate say we'd be on OT6 or even OT7 when the Direct happened, way back in OT4? And everyone was like haha, yeah no way...

Which means he's going to be right. Again.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Come to think of it, didn't Nate say we'd be on OT6 or even OT7 when the Direct happened, way back in OT4? And everyone was like haha, yeah no way...

Which means he's going to be right. Again.
Wasnt it "if we are at OT7 when the direct happens I'm going to be scared of you guys".

Which means he just thinks we post too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.